PDA

View Full Version : I'm Officially An Iowan, Huge Tornado...

SteyrAUG
07-19-18, 17:50
Watched this one from my back porch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvro9a7GJNE

North side of town got hit hard.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/tornado-strikes-marshalltown-iowa-catastrophic-damage-reported

Thankfully I live on the south end of town.

hotrodder636
07-19-18, 18:11
Dang, that was quite the spinner. Got a notification on my phone for tornado touching down in Iowa, likely the same one.

PatrioticDisorder
07-19-18, 18:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvro9a7GJNE

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/tornado-strikes-marshalltown-iowa-catastrophic-damage-reported

Thankfully I live on the south end of town.

I’d rather deal with hurricanes than that tornado BS, no thank you!

SteyrAUG
07-19-18, 18:50

Having done both, I'd rather do tornadoes. You can actually go outside and see where it's going. Also there isn't two weeks of "maybe we might get this storm."

austinN4
07-19-18, 19:23
Just saw film on TV of a residential area near there getting ripped up by 2 funnels.

ryanm
07-19-18, 19:48
I was driving into Pella for dinner when it hit. The clouds were crazy but the sky didn't go green. Next door neighbor works at Vermeer--his truck survived but it took a beating. It was a blue sky thunder afternoon.

MountainRaven
07-19-18, 19:52

Y'all can keep the tornadoes and hurricanes both!

SteyrAUG
07-19-18, 20:51
Y'all can keep the tornadoes and hurricanes both!

This is the first one to hit town in the last 30 years or so, so theoretically we should be good to go for the next 30 years.

Alex V
07-19-18, 20:54
I find tornados and other acts of extreme weather fascinating and mesmerizing. I know it ruins lives and kills people but you can't help but be awe struck.

RetroRevolver77
07-19-18, 21:53
I find tornados and other acts of extreme weather fascinating and mesmerizing. I know it ruins lives and kills people but you can't help but be awe struck.

This is possibly the greatest tornado video ever filmed. Dude just stands there, filming, while it takes out his house. Unfortunately his wife died in the tornado as well as the neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwd-0tatdo

SteyrAUG
07-19-18, 22:11

It was pretty surreal. From my yard there was hardly any wind at all, but I could hear the tornado roaring like a 747 a mile away. Watching the clouds circle and lower to the ground was unreal.

RetroRevolver77
07-19-18, 22:53
It was pretty surreal. From my yard there was hardly any wind at all, but I could hear the tornado roaring like a 747 a mile away. Watching the clouds circle and lower to the ground was unreal.

I experienced one, one time start to touch down right on top of me, I mean it was about 30 feet above my head and moving. Within seconds it was ripping tree limbs off while tearing through the neighbors siding and roof. It didn't occur to me though that it was a tornado as it was passing just over my head until I actually saw it destroying the neighbors place.

Moose-Knuckle
07-20-18, 00:49
Damn Steyr, talk about out of the pan and into the fire!

We get tornadoes AND hurricanes down this way.

SteyrAUG
07-20-18, 02:57
Damn Steyr, talk about out of the pan and into the fire!

We get tornadoes AND hurricanes down this way.

I thought about the fact that I left Florida to get away from severe weather. The difference is a storm going 125mph for 45 minutes and one going 125mph for 12 hours. Not to mention all the prep your house time and devastation that extends everywhere from county to county.

While the north half of town got hit really hard, there are grocery stores they can walk to that are still open and gas stations that still have gas. Anyone who can get a bus or a car can drive to wal mart tomorrow and buy a months supply of water. Won't matter as Walmart will be continuously restocking the store all week.

There is none of that "hope they have water, hope they have gas" nonsense associated with hurricanes and the aftermath. When the police have stopped blocking areas of town in order to prevent people who don't need to be there from hampering efforts of first responders I will actually be able to drive a couple miles and start helping people I know with whatever structural damage they might have. After a hurricane you are so busy without electricity and guarding your property that the "helping neighbors" stuff can take weeks before it happens.

I honestly planned and getting my neighbors together with a half dozen grills and a few hundred hot dogs and setting them up on main street to feed first responders and anyone else who can use a hot dog and a better frame of mind but it's pretty much good to go. The locals are already doing it in the areas that got hit because they can easily drive four minutes and get a few hundred hot dogs.

GH41
07-20-18, 07:00
Hurricanes actually contain tornadoes. Most of the damage done by Hurricane Matthew to our island was done by the tornadoes. 35 million spent on downed tree disposal from an island that just is 12 miles long and a couple of miles wide.

Doc Safari
07-20-18, 07:27
Some scary stuff. Tornado watches are rare around here, much less tornado warnings. In think the last actual "warning" was in 2006.

Tornadoes are funny animals. They can trash one house and leave the one right next to it untouched.

Lest anyone think that because you live in Tornado Alley that you have to live in fear all the time: I have a friend whose brother has lived in Nebraska since the 1970's and they claim they've never even seen a tornado.

Grand58742
07-20-18, 07:34
Having done both, I'd rather do tornadoes. You can actually go outside and see where it's going. Also there isn't two weeks of "maybe we might get this storm."

Done both as well.

Tornado parties just aren't as fun either.

PatrioticDisorder
07-20-18, 07:34
There is none of that "hope they have water, hope they have gas" nonsense associated with hurricanes and the aftermath. When the police have stopped blocking areas of town in order to prevent people who don't need to be there from hampering efforts of first responders I will actually be able to drive a couple miles and start helping people I know with whatever structural damage they might have. After a hurricane you are so busy without electricity and guarding your property that the "helping neighbors" stuff can take weeks before it happens.

That’s because you were living in Broward, it was a different experience living in Naples after Irma and we took a direct hit.

Alex V
07-20-18, 07:52
This is possibly the greatest tornado video ever filmed. Dude just stands there, filming, while it takes out his house. Unfortunately his wife died in the tornado as well as the neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwd-0tatdo

That is absolutely incredible. Not sure I would be standing there. Set up a GoPro and get the hell away.

Again, I know the devastation and grief they cause, but I would still love to see one (from a safe distance). I've been through a couple hurricanes, nothing as bad as you guys in the south. After Sandy I didn't have power for 4 days, my parents for 5, my boss for two weeks, but that nowhere near as bad as what I saw after Katrina. I was in Architecture school and one of our professors was from New Orleans. He organized a bunch of us and the school paid for us to go down and evaluate homes. Spray painted a lot of red "x"s that week.

Krazykarl
07-20-18, 08:03
Born and raised in Oregon. We moved to Indiana in 2006. First time I ever had a tornado warning I snuck out of cover and had to see. The damn cloud really does rotate. Just as the bottom was starting to dimple down. Wife not too happy with me...

Grand58742
07-20-18, 08:08
Again, I know the devastation and grief they cause, but I would still love to see one (from a safe distance). I've been through a couple hurricanes, nothing as bad as you guys in the south. After Sandy I didn't have power for 4 days, my parents for 5, my boss for two weeks, but that nowhere near as bad as what I saw after Katrina. I was in Architecture school and one of our professors was from New Orleans. He organized a bunch of us and the school paid for us to go down and evaluate homes. Spray painted a lot of red "x"s that week.

During the Moore Oklahoma Tornado of 2013, I was in my basement since it was tracking towards my house. I had a dog and a cat at the time and the dog was like "WTF is going on?!" but the cat was all kinds of strange about 15 minutes before it was supposed to go by. All the sudden, he got all kinds of quiet and I hear what I think is an airliner going real low outside the house. My first thought was "why the hell are they flying so low?" I peek out the window and see the funnel cloud passing directly over my house.

Luckily, it had jumped off the ground, but was still rotating and could have dropped again. I live in a unique area where the terrain doesn't permit tornadoes to pass through, so I got seriously lucky. Still, the sight of that monster was devastatingly impressive and I couldn't look away. I found all sorts of insulation and other debris on my yard from where it carved a path of destruction earlier, but luckily nothing on my property save a lighting strike on a tree.

It's an impressive sight, but one I'm not exactly eager to see any time soon again.

Doc Safari
07-20-18, 08:57
During the Moore Oklahoma Tornado of 2013, I was in my basement since it was tracking towards my house. I had a dog and a cat at the time and the dog was like "WTF is going on?!" but the cat was all kinds of strange about 15 minutes before it was supposed to go by. All the sudden, he got all kinds of quiet and I hear what I think is an airliner going real low outside the house. My first thought was "why the hell are they flying so low?" I peek out the window and see the funnel cloud passing directly over my house.

Luckily, it had jumped off the ground, but was still rotating and could have dropped again. I live in a unique area where the terrain doesn't permit tornadoes to pass through, so I got seriously lucky. Still, the sight of that monster was devastatingly impressive and I couldn't look away. I found all sorts of insulation and other debris on my yard from where it carved a path of destruction earlier, but luckily nothing on my property save a lighting strike on a tree.

It's an impressive sight, but one I'm not exactly eager to see any time soon again.

Great survival story. My tornado story is a little humorous and not much more. Eighteen years ago there was a tornado warning. I had just gotten back to the ranch when I heard the warning. I went outside and the sky underneath the clouds was that pale green people talk about.

All I saw was a great big section of carpet floating in the air above an old dually my dad had. It hovered for a few seconds and then gently floated back down onto the truck's bed. I tried to pick it up later and it must have weighed 40 pounds or more. I never did see a funnel cloud; it was just after sundown and visibility wasn't that great. But something picked that carpet up.

RetroRevolver77
07-20-18, 10:36
That is absolutely incredible. Not sure I would be standing there. Set up a GoPro and get the hell away.

What I like most about that video is that he never makes a sound. You can hear the guy breathing, you can hear the tornado rip his home apart, you can even hear debris falling all around him, but he never makes a single whimper, nor cusses, never once crying out, not anything.

ZGXtreme
07-20-18, 10:38

Moore really should change the city seal to the Target logo.

I loved this spring (absent the rain) in that it wasn’t the normal severe weather season. It’s been so devastating to the state since the May 3rd MONSTER that hit the metro that it was nice to get a reprieve.

Rogue556
07-20-18, 11:00
I've lived in Oklahoma most my life and grew up in the southwest part of the state, so a tornado is nothing unusual to me. With that said, we definitely get some monster tornadoes, especially the OKC area. My brother recently moved to the Moore area and I told him he'd better have a shelter considering the luck that city seems to have.

My father actually used to do some storm chasing with a couple other guys from his squadron and of course I went on a few occasions. It really is incredible to see up close. Most of the bad storms that hit the OKC area seem to form on the dry line just south of the Oklahoma border. I actually remember seeing the storm system that produced the May 3rd 1999 F5 tornado and even spent a part of that day in the bathtub with a mattress over me.

A close friend of mine is a pharmacist in Yukon but was staying in Moore at the time with a family member during the 2013 Moore tornado. She had just got home from work and was lucky enough thst a neighbor let her in their shelter. The famliy members house she stayed in was basically split in half with one half completely gone when they finally opened the cellar. Oddly enough the part of the house that was intact still had its furniture and the small objects on top of the dressers, coffee tables, etc were still there.

I want to say someone actually measured the wind speed of the tornado that hit El Reno a week after the Moore '13 tornado and got a 305 mph reading from it. I think that one was the widest and fastest recorded tornado to date.

Definitely something you have to be prepared for out here.

The_War_Wagon
07-20-18, 12:31

How is Ankeny? I know Bondurant got hit, but a buddy of mine moved to Ankeny a little over a year ago. Phone lines & cell towers are no doubt downed or jammed, but I can't reach him at present.

SteyrAUG
07-20-18, 12:35
Some scary stuff. Tornado watches are rare around here, much less tornado warnings. In think the last actual "warning" was in 2006.

Tornadoes are funny animals. They can trash one house and leave the one right next to it untouched.

Lest anyone think that because you live in Tornado Alley that you have to live in fear all the time: I have a friend whose brother has lived in Nebraska since the 1970's and they claim they've never even seen a tornado.

This is the first time the courthouse sustained any tornado damage since it was built in 1886.

SteyrAUG
07-20-18, 12:41
How is Ankeny? I know Bondurant got hit, but a buddy of mine moved to Ankeny a little over a year ago. Phone lines & cell towers are no doubt downed or jammed, but I can't reach him at present.

I heard they got a hit, but not as bad as us.

SteyrAUG
07-20-18, 12:42
That’s because you were living in Broward, it was a different experience living in Naples after Irma and we took a direct hit.

I meant helping neighbors across town, not the folks next door.

Grand58742
07-20-18, 12:47
Moore really should change the city seal to the Target logo.

I loved this spring (absent the rain) in that it wasn’t the normal severe weather season. It’s been so devastating to the state since the May 3rd MONSTER that hit the metro that it was nice to get a reprieve.

Yeah, knock on wood we are past the "bad" tornado season.

And you watch, I just screwed us lol

Grand58742
07-20-18, 12:52
I've lived in Oklahoma most my life and grew up in the southwest part of the state, so a tornado is nothing unusual to me. With that said, we definitely get some monster tornadoes, especially the OKC area. My brother recently moved to the Moore area and I told him he'd better have a shelter considering the luck that city seems to have.

My father actually used to do some storm chasing with a couple other guys from his squadron and of course I went on a few occasions. It really is incredible to see up close. Most of the bad storms that hit the OKC area seem to form on the dry line just south of the Oklahoma border. I actually remember seeing the storm system that produced the May 3rd 1999 F5 tornado and even spent a part of that day in the bathtub with a mattress over me.

A close friend of mine is a pharmacist in Yukon but was staying in Moore at the time with a family member during the 2013 Moore tornado. She had just got home from work and was lucky enough thst a neighbor let her in their shelter. The famliy members house she stayed in was basically split in half with one half completely gone when they finally opened the cellar. Oddly enough the part of the house that was intact still had its furniture and the small objects on top of the dressers, coffee tables, etc were still there.

I want to say someone actually measured the wind speed of the tornado that hit El Reno a week after the Moore '13 tornado and got a 305 mph reading from it. I think that one was the widest and fastest recorded tornado to date.

Definitely something you have to be prepared for out here.

I had a buddy that got completely unlucky during that spell. He has (or had, don't know) two houses; one in Moore that he rented out and the other in the Newalla area.

The Shawnee tornado that year brushed past his house. Not a lot of damage save an oak that fell right in front of his door (damaged the guttering and minor damage to the roof) and about 30 or so trees on his property blown down. I went out that night and helped cut the downed trees on the roadway towards his house to emergency services could get through. He was safe as was his family.

Then comes the Moore tornado that damages his other house. Talk about bad luck.

Then the El Reno tornado comes through while we're cutting trees and clearing his property. Even though we were on the other side of the county, we still got the alert and couldn't figure out where it was coming from since the cell service, electricity and internet was still down.

That was a rough couple of weeks.

Bubba FAL
07-21-18, 12:11
Never even saw the F5 that took out our house and 30% of the city of Joplin back in 2011, heard it though, never forget the sound. Like being inside a blender.

Glad to hear no fatalities Steyr, we lost 161 on 22 May because of that damned tornado.

By the way, a word of advice: If your house doesn't have a basement or a shelter- get one! We were extremely fortunate to have escaped serious physical injury or death that day. Riding it out in the hallway is not recommended! Our new house has a shelter, the peace of mind is worth every penny.

austinN4
07-21-18, 13:20
Our new house has a shelter, the peace of mind is worth every penny.
Is it a new to you old house with a shelter, or is it a new house that was built with a shelter? I would think that in tornado prone areas it wouldn't add much to the cost of a new house to build it with a shelter.

ZGXtreme
07-21-18, 14:06
Is it a new to you old house with a shelter, or is it a new house that was built with a shelter? I would think that in tornado prone areas it would add much to the cost of a new house to build it with a shelter.

Many are doing just that on this side of town; N. OKC/Edmond/Deer Creek area.

SteyrAUG
07-21-18, 16:50
Never even saw the F5 that took out our house and 30% of the city of Joplin back in 2011, heard it though, never forget the sound. Like being inside a blender.

Glad to hear no fatalities Steyr, we lost 161 on 22 May because of that damned tornado.

By the way, a word of advice: If your house doesn't have a basement or a shelter- get one! We were extremely fortunate to have escaped serious physical injury or death that day. Riding it out in the hallway is not recommended! Our new house has a shelter, the peace of mind is worth every penny.

I made sure I bought a house with a basement. Makes a huge difference. Latest reports have this one as an EF3 going 144 mph. I know people who had it crash directly through their house and they survived without any meaningful injuries because they were in a basement.

Bubba FAL
07-21-18, 20:11
Is it a new to you old house with a shelter, or is it a new house that was built with a shelter? I would think that in tornado prone areas it wouldn't add much to the cost of a new house to build it with a shelter.
We bought a house about 10 miles north of where our previous house was. It didn't have a shelter, but we added one. It's a prefab concrete box buried in the backyard.

Basements are rare around here so a house with a shelter will fetch a better price than one without. Besides the shelters like ours, there are various safe room types that are popular, especially with new construction. Another popular choice is a vault that lies under the garage floor.

kwelz
07-21-18, 20:25
Glad you are safe man. I know how it feels.

The_War_Wagon
07-21-18, 21:35
Got hold of my buddy - he & his family are fine, but a buddy of his filmed the tornado in Bondurant that's all over the news. That was about 7 miles from him.

He says the flooding this summer has been worse around his neighborhood.

Skyyr
07-22-18, 09:12

100% this. Feel the same way.

Moose-Knuckle
07-23-18, 13:37
Speaking of shelters . . .

Moore family’s tornado shelter comes out of ground after first use
http://www.koco.com/article/moore-familys-tornado-shelter-comes-out-of-ground-after-first-use/3843412

Norman Woman's Storm Shelter Floated Above Ground After Severe Storm
http://www.news9.com/story/29010811/norman-womans-storm-shelter-floated-above-ground-after-severe-storm

SteyrAUG
07-23-18, 16:45
Additional video of the one that hit us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZYwAcaJApg

Pretty good size wedge that has now been classified as an EF3 going 144mph.

austinN4
07-23-18, 17:00
Additional video of the one that hit us. Pretty good size wedge that has now been classified as an EF3 going 144mph.
Man, that is beautiful and ugly all at the same time.

SteyrAUG
07-23-18, 18:28
Man, that is beautiful and ugly all at the same time.

It's a lot like guns, depends if you are downrange or not.