PDA

View Full Version : Using one bcg with multiple uppers

tim808
07-20-18, 12:31
Is sharing one bcg among multiple (3) uppers for a short while (say 6-12 months) a really bad idea?

I recall reading something about not using an old bcg (or old bolt)
with a new upper and/or vice versa.

This a short term situation till I save more $$ to get 2 more bcgs.

Tnx!

markm
07-20-18, 13:02
Depends on the round count. If you're blasting a case per week, you'd be shortening the BCG life disproportionately to the uppers. Other than that, if they uppers or known quality, there shouldn't be a headspace issue.

joeg26er
07-20-18, 13:31
I thought it takes over 7,000 rounds to see any headspace changes if using quality brand and mil specs
Bcgs, Uppers and barrels?

alx01
07-20-18, 14:53
I wouldn't do it especially right now when BCG prices are low. I've had good luck with budged BCGs - Palmetto Premium and ToolCraft are around $80 and available right now from multiple vendors.
Otherwise I would just stick to one upper and use BCG in it.

Clint
07-20-18, 15:09
Don't sweat it.

We routinely swap our "reference test" BCG between uppers to evaluate function.

The polar ice caps have not melted and the magnetic poles have not shifted. Yet.

GH41
07-20-18, 15:25
Even if all 3 barrel extensions are within spec they are likely not identical. Same with bolts. I wouldn't do it unless I had no other choice. Maybe IG will chime in. I wonder military armorers working on multiple M4s just throw the parts in a bucket or keep them together for the individual rifles.. He would know.

tim808
07-20-18, 15:47
Thanks everyone!!

I only shoot once a month and no more than 100 rds per session as we are developing loads for long ranges

I forgot I have a spare bcg. Ill be fine using just 2 uppers till I order another bcg

MQ105
07-21-18, 17:30
-You'll be fine.

-If you can afford a bolt - not an entire BCG - it's good to keep a bolt and barrel together.

Pappabear
07-21-18, 20:13
Don't sweat it.

The polar ice caps have not melted and the magnetic poles have not shifted. Yet.

Agreed, I have changed BCG amongst uppers without consideration. Never had a problem. Many many many times

PB

diving dave
07-22-18, 09:01
I have been jumping a Bootleg adjustable carrier between 3 rifles, all suppressed and one is a 6.8. The bolt , cam pin, firing pin all stay with the same rifle. So far so good.

bamashooter
07-22-18, 09:16
Don't sweat it.

Love it. At times when doable, in the military, we'd dump parts into barrels of diesel. Who knows which parts to which weapon but rarely if ever a problem.

Leuthas
07-22-18, 13:05
Avoid garbage/bargain BCGs and barrels, confirm you don't have a lemon with your go/nogo gauge and this is not a problem. Seems like one of the more subtle myths of the AR world yet remaining.

MQ105
07-22-18, 15:35
Since the OP stated he is working up loads (accuracy) I think marrying a bolt/barrel is optimal. While not required for function or safety, it aids consistency and, therefore, accuracy.

Pappabear
07-22-18, 21:07
Since the OP stated he is working up loads (accuracy) I think marrying a bolt/barrel is optimal. While not required for function or safety, it aids consistency and, therefore, accuracy.

Very true, but on the bottom of the list of concerns for accuracy. Very bottom.

PB

AR-556
07-29-18, 05:32
I wouldn't do it especially right now when BCG prices are low. I've had good luck with budged BCGs - Palmetto Premium and ToolCraft are around $80 and available right now from multiple vendors.
Otherwise I would just stick to one upper and use BCG in it.

Same here. I only use TOOLCRAFT and PSA BCG's.

kirkland
07-31-18, 22:52
Toolcraft

tim808
08-01-18, 01:22
Yes, will get a toolcraft even if my build is meant only for a range toy. Better peace of mind knowing that they make parts that lives depend on daily

Nothing against PSA bcgs - they could be made by toolcraft for all I know.

08-01-18, 11:03
As far as I know a BCG is a BCG regardless of the upper it is used in.
I have swapped them around with no problems.
Let me add so long as they are the same caliber upper and BCG.

tim808
08-01-18, 18:56
100 - I have to disagree. My coworker has a ruger mpr and it has FTF with the ruger bcg. It runs fine with 2 different bcm bcgs (mine and the one he just bought)

(I assume you mean a top tier bcg is the same as a lower tier bcg)

Iraqgunz
08-03-18, 04:20
And once again. Toolcraft makes the carriers only. The bolts come from another vendor. Most PSA BCG's come from a vendor that are in use with several major manufacturer's to include those with gov't contracts. The variations I have seen indicate that they may be doing some assembly in house, or they are using another vendor when that one cannot deliver.

everready73
08-03-18, 07:51
And once again. Toolcraft makes the carriers only. The bolts come from another vendor. Most PSA BCG's come from a vendor that are in use with several major manufacturer's to include those with gov't contracts. The variations I have seen indicate that they may be doing some assembly in house, or they are using another vendor when that one cannot deliver.

I obviously dont have to validate what Iraqgunz said here, but i would like to add to it. A lot of manufactures just order the Toolcraft carriers and supply their own bolts and then assemble them. Some of the bolts have been reported to have MIM extractors etc. Toolcraft is quality, but i would verify the source where you buy and where all parts are coming from. Some vendors order the carrier and bolt from Toolcraft where toolcraft will supply a bolt with the carrier to customer specs regarding Bolt material and testing.

Right To Bear has verified they order assembeled BCGs from Toolcraft with no MIM parts if anyone is looking for a dependable place to purchase. Cryptic Coatings is also the Retail Arm/Partner of Toolcraft and they sell with C158 MPI/HPT bolt. Their nitride version is a little more expensive at $110, but worth it IMO