PDA

View Full Version : KAC Trigger Question

JimmieSchafer
07-20-18, 17:02
Does Knights make their own two-stage trigger they put in their SR-15? I received my first KAC AR today and I was really very impressed with the trigger group in it. To me, it is even better than a Geissele trigger. The two stages were noticeable, the break was like glass, and the reset is, frankly, pretty amazing. The guys in the gun shop were all blown away by it as well. Thank you. Cheers!

07-20-18, 17:04
Ues. The KAC two stage is an excellent trigger but I never thought they were much different than an SSA.

JimmieSchafer
07-20-18, 17:10
My question is: Does KAC make their own triggers, or from whom do they source them?

elephant
07-20-18, 20:09
I have one right in front of me. I think they are sourced out. However the trigger has "KAC" stamped into the material, not cast into the material leading me to believe these are marked "KAC" but manufactured by a supplier. The trigger and hammer are very consistent with Geissele, however not polished to a gloss finish. The disconnector is similar to Geissele except for the disconnector spring is larger and does not fit inside a machined "pocket". I have a Geissele SSA and if you want I can post photos comparing both later.

sinister
07-20-18, 21:33
KAC triggers can have awesome breaks. Their hammers are very heavy relative to Geissele triggers, giving them longer lock times. They don't have the same service life, either.

David Tubb won the NRA Rifle Championships two or three times with an SR-25. He modified the hammer with lightening holes (like a Commander hammer) to get faster lock time.

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/ar10/rcw/skelhammer.jpg

Coal Dragger
07-20-18, 23:48
Out of curiosity what is it about the KAC triggers that limit service life vs the Geissele? I have both, and slightly prefer the Geissele due to the feel of the 2nd stage break. I like the KAC well enough not to change it out, and appreciate the nickel? or chrome? plating.

If it’s something simple like the hammer spring wearing out faster, not a big deal. If the sere surfaces wear out though, that is a bit of an issue.

sinister
07-21-18, 06:22
My foggy recollection based on replacing 3rd Ranger Battalion SPR triggers over 13 years ago is they lose temper, then lose their first stage. I believe we replaced triggers on their second or third barrel (replacing around 5,000 rounds).

I shot one in National Match competition until the gunsmith swapped it for a Milazzo-Krieger II. HUGE difference.

Stickman
07-21-18, 10:16
KAC triggers can have awesome breaks. Their hammers are very heavy relative to Geissele triggers, giving them longer lock times. They don't have the same service life, either.

David Tubb won the NRA Rifle Championships two or three times with an SR-25. He modified the hammer with lightening holes (like a Commander hammer) to get faster lock time.

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/ar10/rcw/skelhammer.jpg

Solid info, thank you for sharing. It makes total sense, but I doubt I would have ever thought to do it.

Coal Dragger
07-21-18, 11:48
My foggy recollection based on replacing 3rd Ranger Battalion SPR triggers over 13 years ago is they lose temper, then lose their first stage. I believe we replaced triggers on their second or third barrel (replacing around 5,000 rounds).

I shot one in National Match competition until the gunsmith swapped it for a Milazzo-Krieger II. HUGE difference.

I’d hope that KAC has addressed the temper issues since then, but if the trigger only lasts as long as you state then I’ll just replace it with my favored Geissele SD-C at that time.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pappabear
07-21-18, 12:47
I dont think most NON military applications are ever going to burn through KAC triggers. I run SSA's in everything, except my SR-15, which I feel is equal enough for me.

PB

sinister
07-21-18, 13:02
Most civilian hobby shooters will never go through a single barrel, and base their total experience with ARs and carbines on a population of one or two.

Alpine2k3
07-22-18, 05:07
KAC makes their triggers in house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mack7.62
07-22-18, 07:34
If I understand Sinister correctly 2nd or 3rd barrel replacement = a service life of 10-15 K which is not bad.

sinister
07-22-18, 07:37
Correct. Rangers didn't keep round-count books.

Failure2Stop
07-23-18, 08:59
KAC had produced its own triggers dating back to the Mk 11 Mod 0.

The newer (circa 2011) Drop-In 2-stage triggers have proven service life of over 50,000 rounds.

I’d hope that KAC has addressed the temper issues since then, but if the trigger only lasts as long as you state then I’ll just replace it with my favored Geissele SD-C at that time.

Thanks for the heads up.

Completely different trigger design used since 2011.

03scgt
07-23-18, 10:51
Every time I bought a KAC rifle I would replace the trigger with a flat face Geissele and within a month I would regret it.Nothing wrong with the Geissele ,but the wider trigger shoe and the more defined pull on the first stage of the KAC trigger is my personal favorite. I started switching the KAC triggers back into my rifles that were originally swapped out at this point. IMO after 3-500 rounds of working together and getting dirty the Kac triggers have the best feel.

Stickman
07-23-18, 11:18
The newer (circa 2011) Drop-In 2-stage triggers have proven service life of over 50,000 rounds.

Good info.

Coal Dragger
07-23-18, 17:02
KAC had produced its own triggers dating back to the Mk 11 Mod 0.

Completely different trigger design used since 2011.

This forum needs a “like” or “thanks” function for useful posts.

Thanks for clarification on this issue.

Another day at the range with the SR-15, starting to warm up to the trigger more. Honestly like it more than the Geissele for faster work, reset seems a tad shorter and more crisp. I wouldn’t be surprised if the surfaces wear in with more use and the mechanism smooths out considerably.

PNorris
07-24-18, 08:03
Hmmm, I am wondering if I have the newer trigger. I have a KAC Mod 1 LPR with the Krieger barrel. I am not sure if I have the newer trigger or not. Jack?

03scgt
07-24-18, 08:20
Hmmm, I am wondering if I have the newer trigger. I have a KAC Mod 1 LPR with the Krieger barrel. I am not sure if I have the newer trigger or not. Jack?

You should have the new style trigger because I believe they have only made the lpr since 2012(I could be wrong).They do have an even newer trigger that's nib coated and silver.I purchased my mod1 lpr in 2013 or 2014 and it came with the new nib version

PNorris
07-24-18, 08:22
My trigger is silver in color as well. I just wasn't sure if I bought it in 2011 or 2012. As I get older, I can't remember shit : ) I really like the trigger and the gun is a laser.