PDA

View Full Version : replacement G17 sights

Terry
10-27-08, 08:27
I just purchased a G17 and I want to buy a set of steel sights as a replacement to the plastic in it now.
I was just going to buy the Glock OEM steel sights, but the dealer recommended Trijicon, claiming they are better because the front sight post is removable from the base?
I don't want "night sights", other than maybe the front only.
Are the Trijicon steel replacement sights a good option?
If not, for around $50, what is the best option?
Thank you, Terry

Robb Jensen
10-27-08, 08:37
I'd suggest the Warren Tactical 'mix' sights. These have a plain black rear sight and a front night sight.

markm
10-27-08, 08:43
Ameriglo makes a wide selection of Glock sights in all sorts of configs. I replaced my rear sights on both of my Glocks with a metal version that retained the exact shape of the OEM sights, but without the silly artwork.

I picked up some iron serrated front sights to go with the rears. Ameriglo is nice because they're ala cart. You can mix and match to get exactly what you want. I actually went with a thinner front sight than factory. 0.115" I believe.

John_Wayne777
10-27-08, 08:55
Heed Robb's advice and get the Warrens. They are the best iron sights I've ever tried.

LOKNLOD
10-27-08, 08:57
I'd suggest the Warren Tactical 'mix' sights. These have a plain black rear sight and a front night sight.

That is by far my favorite setup I've tried.

ToddG
10-27-08, 09:52
While I'm personally not a fan of the front-only n/s setup, I'd echo gotm4 on the Warren recommendation.

David Thomas
10-27-08, 10:26
Another vote for Warren Tactical sights. I have the plain black rear and the one dot rear set ups on my Glocks.

If you want a plain rear sight, the warren set should cost around $80. The money spent will be more than worth it.

Paulinski
10-27-08, 10:27
I use/like 10-8 sights for my G19/G23/G26 plain rear and tritium front.

Terry
10-27-08, 10:27
Thank you all for the help.
I am looking online right now to order the Warrens.
I can't find anywhere that has "mixed", so I'll call them to be sure and get exactly what I need.
Thank you all again.
Terry.

ToddG
10-27-08, 10:30
Terry -- Try SKD Tactical (http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1353). It says they're out of stock, but at least they list the option on their site. You can call to get info on when they expect new inventory.

John_Wayne777
10-27-08, 10:47
MLE had them in stock when I ordered last week:

http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights-WTS---Sights/c7_28/index.html?osCsid=beb35b6a608029f9cba2b58f99d00377

Terry
10-27-08, 11:01
Standard, or Sevigny?
This is going to be my everyday carry, night stand, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, and training sidearm.
Thanks again, Terry

John_Wayne777
10-27-08, 11:29
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0692.jpg

I prefer the standard sights to the Sevigny cuts.

Buck
10-27-08, 12:49
I like the Heinie S8 Slant pros... But that is just me...

B

RWK
10-27-08, 13:02
I like the Heinie S8 Slant pros... But that is just me...

B

I'll second that!

SMGLee
10-27-08, 13:26

This is my same exact setup....

The 10-8 sight gives a nice six o'clock aim, the U notch makes it easy to pick up in a fast reaction draw and the split between the U and the standard square is no comparison, human just tend to better separate the U notch then the square notch

Terry
10-27-08, 14:47
Just so I am understanding all this correctly, a wide "U" notch is preferable for shooting fast, as opposed to a "square" notch?
The more research I do, the more unsure I become.
Regarding the 10-8 sights, I don't have enough experience to know what sights I could shoot best with, and I don't have the money to experiment.
Terry.

citizensoldier16
10-27-08, 18:19
Trijicon night sights grace the top of all my Glocks. They're slim, low profile, and don't snag on clothing when used in CCW. Plus, mine have taken a beating and haven't moved a micron.

John_Wayne777
10-27-08, 19:18
Just so I am understanding all this correctly, a wide "U" notch is preferable for shooting fast, as opposed to a "square" notch?
The more research I do, the more unsure I become.
Regarding the 10-8 sights, I don't have enough experience to know what sights I could shoot best with, and I don't have the money to experiment.
Terry.

A wider notch helps get some daylight around the front sight, which makes it quicker and easier to align on target. With a wide front sight and a narrow notch (like the stock Glock slot-filler "sights") it's much harder to figure out if the front sight is centered in the rear notch. With the stock Warrens it's pretty easy to tell.

The Warren sight I posted isn't actually a true U notch...at the bottom of the notch the sight is flat. On the 10-8 sight the bottom of the notch is round:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0631.jpg

I've tried both and I found that the Warrens are MUCH more to my liking, as they allow for more daylight around the front sight AND for a less cluttered view of the target thanks to the Batman looking cutouts on the rear sight.

As for experimentation....do you have Glock sight tools? If you're swapping out sights yourself and cost is a concern, I have a set of 10-8 sights for the Glock that I'd be more than willing to give you so you can check them out. They are plain black sights but they'll still give you the 10-8 sight picture. The 10-8's are better than stock, but not as good as the Warrens, in my opinion. All of my main carry guns now wear Warren sights.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM with your name and address and I'll drop them in the mail ASAP.

BB01
10-27-08, 19:29
Standard, or Sevigny?
This is going to be my everyday carry, night stand, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, and training sidearm.
Thanks again, Terry

I prefer the Sevigny's but the standard Warrens are a close second. The standard Warrens seem to obscure less of the target and carry a little easier due to the scalloped corners, but I shoot the Sevigny's faster and more accurately so I have them on my competition and carry guns.

ToddG
10-27-08, 20:46
I definitely prefer the Warren's over the the Sevigny/Warren's. The Sevigny sights really have little in common with the original Warren concept.

As for the u-notch, it's not enough to simply say a sight has a u-notch. On the 10-8 sights I've handled, the notch is very small. This is great if you're making maximum accuracy shots, and in fact the u-notch came from Olympic shooting where accuracy far outweighs speed (at least in the way we use the word "speed" when talking about practical/tactical shooting).

The Warren sight, as JW777 explained, is not a true U. It's much closer to a standard rear notch, but with all of the edges rounded out. The result is plenty of light, a traditional sight image, but the only sharp edges (where your eyes are drawn to) are at the aiming alignment points.

The proliferation of u-notch sights that started shortly after the Warrens hit the scene are certainly a result -- at least in part -- of the Warren Tactical success, but they don't come close to providing the same kind of sight picture.

If a small true u-notch floats your boat, rock on. But while I know many top IPSC & IDPA shooters running Warrens on their iron-sighted guns, I don't know any who are using a tiny u-notch. Clue? I think so.

Robb Jensen
10-27-08, 21:04
There's a very true saying around IPSC and many competitive shooters........'You can only shoot (meaning shoot and hit) as fast as you can see'.

I can see damn fast, but still 'I can only shoot as fast as I can see what I need to see'. What does this mean? This means I'm seeing everything that's happening. Sometimes the sight picture isn't always there. This means don't pull the trigger or try to until the sights are in alignment on what I want to shoot and hit. It's like a John Woo / Matrix type slow motion. The mind is terrible at perceiving time. Most of the time as long as I've been practicing/training a lot I can see concussion of the gunshot, see the muzzle flash, see the blur as the bullet leaves the barrel, see the sights lift and the slide moving rearward and the empty casing ejecting and then the sights returning back into view as I see the sights come across what I want to shoot and press the trigger again. It all happens again.

This is awareness or some say Zen.

For me the Warrens are the 'fastest' sights I've ever used.........YMMV.

Terry
10-28-08, 06:30
I appreciate everyones input.
It is exactly what I wanted to know.
As to the 10-8 sights, I was referring to the different options.
I can only afford 1 set, so if I were to buy .125 and and ended not liking them, I could not readily afford to buy the .140, or another set.
I have to research thoroughly, buy once.
As an aside, the professionalism and honesty on this forum is not duplicated anywhere.
I cannot thank you all enough for helping me, and many other's, for making sound, informed decisions.
Terry.

Race
10-28-08, 13:51
John Wayne,

What sight tool is that in your picture? Is it Glock's?

Thanks.

John_Wayne777
10-28-08, 13:53
John Wayne,

What sight tool is that in your picture? Is it Glock's?

Thanks.

It's an "Ameriglo" tool I bought years ago. I don't think they are made anymore.

Incidentally, the M&P sight tool works just fine on the Glocks with slide dimensions like the 9mm versions.

Race
10-28-08, 14:08
Thanks for the info. Are there any other Glock-specific sight tools that are recommended? I've seen MGW.

Thanks.

DM-SC
10-28-08, 15:01
I've had a MGW for several years. They (sight tools) are very handy to have around and, IMHO, worth the money.

jeremy45
10-29-08, 08:58

Paulinski, I've been looking at getting a set of 10-8 sights for my G19. Do you use the .125 or .140 rear? The .140 seems like it may be a little faster to me but I'm not sure.

Paulinski
10-29-08, 10:07
I use .140 Rear.

jeremy45
10-29-08, 10:28
I think I'll go with the .140, thanks.

DWood
10-30-08, 15:57
I have the Sevigny sights on three of my Glocks; 23, 34, and 35. I much prefer the wider cut rear sight for fast sight picture. Two of my pistols have the tritium front sights but the last one I set up has the fiber optic front. That is now my favorite, Sevigny rear sight and fiber optic front sight.

Custom Glock Racing has a good selection.

http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000001&CAT=000002&BACK=A0007A1B0000001B1

Terry
11-04-08, 06:41
I am going to pick the G17 up today and then go and vote.
The dealer took 2 weeks to get it in, after telling me 2 days.
As a way of an apology, he gave me the trijicon sights and installed them already.
The model is the GLO5.
I guess I will try these for now, as I have a CD M4LE on layaway, and I need mags for the G17 and M4.
Thank you all again.
Terry.

M4arc
11-15-08, 10:08
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0692.jpg

I prefer the standard sights to the Sevigny cuts.

JW777 - Do you have a photo where the front sight is visible as well?

I'm trying to decide between these and Heines.

John_Wayne777
11-15-08, 11:26
JW777 - Do you have a photo where the front sight is visible as well?

I'm trying to decide between these and Heines.

I'm a horrible photographer, so unfortunately no. I can only seem to get the fronts OR the rears in focus....not both.

As for the heinies, I used to run Heinies on my Glocks. After using the Warrens now all my Glocks wear them.

The Warren front is thinner than the Heinie front, making for more daylight around the front sight, which I find helpful in aligning the sights. I'll see if I can figure out a way to get the fronts and rears in the same photo....

M4arc
11-15-08, 11:29
I'm a horrible photographer, so unfortunately no. I can only seem to get the fronts OR the rears in focus....not both.

As for the heinies, I used to run Heinies on my Glocks. After using the Warrens now all my Glocks wear them.

The Warren front is thinner than the Heinie front, making for more daylight around the front sight, which I find helpful in aligning the sights. I'll see if I can figure out a way to get the fronts and rears in the same photo....

That's cool, thanks, but don't waste your day trying to get a good photo for me.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the Heinies and the Warrens. I like the setup you and The_Katar are running.

Terry
11-18-08, 08:37
The dealer sent my original cracked frame OD G17 back and forgot to take off the steel trijicons.
The new G17 will be wearing Warren's, for $20.
Thanks again for all the help.
Terry.

jaydoc1
11-18-08, 14:59
I know your question's answered but thought I'd toss in my Novak tritium front/Carry Rear (blank) combination. Fantastic target acquisition with this setup (which sounds very similar to most of the other setups named here).