PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Selecting a Barrel

CoryCop25
07-20-18, 22:14
I have received all of my items from the great Centurion Group Buy. I have some parts already purchased but for the first time ever, I am stuck on a barrel for this build.

Hers is what I have planned or already have for this build....

Centurion Lower, Upper receiver and 13" CMR handguard.
Centurion BCG
Colt Lower parts kit and Receiver Extension
Geissele Super Tricon Trigger
Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
BCM Stock and Grip
DD Fixed front sight
KAC rear sight
Trijicon MRO on Sphur mount
Dead Air Sandman K suppressor and mount...

I have no clue what barrel to put on this build. I am leaning heavily toward a 14.5" middy of some type. I was also kicking around a Noveske Afghan barrel but I don't know if i want a stainless steel barrel that will be suppressed most of the time.

What are your thoughts?
Price isn't much of a concern.
I'd like to keep it light but the barrel must also support the suppressor without crazy POI shifts.

07-21-18, 09:17
I’d go with a Centurion or Daniel Defense barrel.

I don’t see any good reason to use a stainless barrel on something with a 1X optic on it.

I’m using a Daniel Defense 16” governorships profile on a RECCE with an ATACR 1-8 and it’s plenty accurate for that.

MistWolf
07-21-18, 10:28
Cory, check out Faxon. I don't see any reason to not use a SS barrel with a suppressor. I ran that 10.5" SS barrel with a suppressor and the Binary trigger for awhile and it held up fine. I would suggest that you Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 and go straight to the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel, but it's not a middy.

The Faxon Gunner profile is a good choice. It tapers like a sporter weight barrel, putting mass at the chamber for better heat control and quick handling. There's a reason the sporter weight taper has been the most popular hunting rifle barrel profile for many decades.

14.5" SS Gunner-
http://faxonfirearms.com/match-series-14-5-gunner-223-wylde-mid-length-416r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension/

14.5" Gunner 4150 QPC, if you prefer. Costs less than the SS version. I replaced the 10.5" SS barrel with the 11.5" QPC barrel from PSA because it was cheap and I wanted the extra velocity. It too has held up well.
http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-gunner-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Faxon used to have the option of selecting a matched bolt on the website. I didn't see it offered with either Gunner barrel. I don't know if they are no longer offering that service, but in my opinion, it helps precision and is worth doing. You might call them on the phone and see if you can still get a matched bolt with the barrel.

Plan on using an SLR adjustable gas block with the suppressor.

CoryCop25
07-21-18, 17:25
I have and have had several Daniel Defense barrels.
I think they are too over gassed for my application.
I am not planning on using any adjustable gas block, the Sandman K is a 30 cal can and should be able to be tamed with an H or H2 buffer.
I do like my Colt SOCOM barrel but it is not a middy, still not a definite no.

titsonritz
07-21-18, 17:32
Did you see this? No clue on the vendor.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200439-The-GOOD-DEALs-and-INTERESTING-find-thread!&p=2643697#post2643697

CoryCop25
07-21-18, 17:33
Did you see this? No clue on the vendor.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200439-The-GOOD-DEALs-and-INTERESTING-find-thread!&p=2643697#post2643697

I did see that!!!!
Almost too good to be true!

titsonritz
07-21-18, 17:52
I did see that!!!!
Almost too good to be true!

Right!! That's why I mentioned I no nothing of the vendor.

vicious_cb
07-21-18, 17:55
I have and have had several Daniel Defense barrels.
I think they are too over gassed for my application.
I am not planning on using any adjustable gas block, the Sandman K is a 30 cal can and should be able to be tamed with an H or H2 buffer.
I do like my Colt SOCOM barrel but it is not a middy, still not a definite no.

If you think DD is overgassed then you shouldn't get a faxon.

Tigereye
07-21-18, 18:20
Why not a Centurion Barrel?

CoryCop25
07-21-18, 19:44
If you think DD is overgassed then you shouldn't get a faxon.

I have a Faxon 308 barrel that's quite gassy...

I have a DD 10.3" that is pretty over gassed. It's the only rifle that gets finicky when I suppress it.
I have a DD 14.5 Mid that fails to lock back with 223 pressure ammo.
I had a DD 12.5 on my M-16 that I shot out. I didn't think it was too over gassed, had no functioning issues but I replaced it with a Noveske 12.5 CHF and this thing shoot like a dream.
I had a DD 11.5 and it was super smooth and I should have never sold that upper but money was tight.

So from my experience, DD is too unpredictable for me.

CoryCop25
07-21-18, 19:44
Why not a Centurion Barrel?

It's a carbine gas system, not a middy.

Tigereye
07-21-18, 20:00
My bad. I was thinking of the Recce 14.5" but I missed you're using the MRO.

CoryCop25
07-21-18, 20:05
No worries.
I'm still open to anything.
This rifle could potentially be a patrol rifle for work if they approve the SOP I wrote for them and allow personal owned patrol rifles. That's why I want to keep it light, accurate and simple.

Pappabear
07-21-18, 20:09
I have received all of my items from the great Centurion Group Buy. I have some parts already purchased but for the first time ever, I am stuck on a barrel for this build.

Hers is what I have planned or already have for this build....

Centurion Lower, Upper receiver and 13" CMR handguard.
Centurion BCG
Colt Lower parts kit and Receiver Extension
Geissele Super Tricon Trigger
Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
BCM Stock and Grip
DD Fixed front sight
KAC rear sight
Trijicon MRO on Sphur mount
Dead Air Sandman K suppressor and mount...

I have no clue what barrel to put on this build. I am leaning heavily toward a 14.5" middy of some type. I was also kicking around a Noveske Afghan barrel but I don't know if i want a stainless steel barrel that will be suppressed most of the time.

What are your thoughts?
I'd like to keep it light but the barrel must also support the suppressor without crazy POI shifts.

I have an Noveske Afghan and like it very much. I run it suppressed 100% of the time. Ill take it out tomorrow and see how gassy it is. I don't remember it being gassy, but Ill check. It has an ACOG so Ill try some groups for shits and giggles and see how can do.

PB

26 Inf
07-21-18, 21:18
First off, I readily admit I am a Green Mountain Barrel fanboi.

Keeping this mind from your OP:

This is a 14.5 mid-length: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m19-14-5-5-56mm-midlength/ $177.00 5.56 mm, 1:7 twist, 14.5", 4150 steel, M4 Replacement barrel for mid length gas system, chrome line bore and chamber, button rifled, stress relieved, air gauged, drilled gas port hole, assembled with M4 extension, muzzle thread 1/2 x 28.

Although I don't have this exact barrel, I do have it's 16 mid-length cousin: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-16-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-mm/

If you look at the pictures the profiles are the same except the 14.5 only has a little over 3.1 inches of the final profile versus a little over 4.6 for the 16 inch. I really haven't measured POI shift, I get on 2/3 IPSC plates at 200 yards with and without suppressor on this rifle.

It weighs 1.9 pounds so I imagine the 14.5 would go at about 1.6 or 1.7. It is a 1:8 twist so I can't speak to the 14.5's 1:7 twist accuracy.

I run the 10.5 inch little brother of these on my SBR - http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m26-10-5-5-56mm-nato-1-7/ It is also a 1:7 and weighs 1.35 pounds, so I reckon 1.7 would be a close guess for the 14.5. (ETA - this is my HD rifle, I generally shoot it suppressed - Silencerco Omega - and honestly, I couldn't speak to poi shift with and without suppressor.

I'm really happy with the accuracy of all the GM barrels I have used - probably around a dozen.

Hope this helps.

vicious_cb
07-21-18, 21:45
I have an Noveske Afghan and like it very much. I run it suppressed 100% of the time. Ill take it out tomorrow and see how gassy it is. I don't remember it being gassy, but Ill check. It has an ACOG so Ill try some groups for shits and giggles and see how can do.

PB

Current Noveske midlengths are on the gassy side of port sizes, they run 0.081-0.082" on both 14.5" and 16". Faxon is about the same 0.080" for midlenth.

Pappabear
07-22-18, 14:20
I shot my Noveske Afghan today and it shot lights out. Mark shot a .5 MOA group with out 62 grain BTHP and a sub MOA group with 77grain Nosler OTM's. Should be the other way around but fatigue is fatigue. I ran it out to 750 yards no problem starting at 100 yards.

Great barrel , buy with confidence. It wasn't too gassy either with a Sig Ti 556 QD can.

Build

Mur Upper
Vltor A5 buffer
Noveske barrel
Geiselle rail
Sig QD Ti 556 can
BCM lower SSA trigger bla bla bla

vicious_cb
07-22-18, 14:59
I shot my Noveske Afghan today and it shot lights out. Mark shot a .5 MOA group with out 62 grain BTHP and a sub MOA group with 77grain Nosler OTM's. Should be the other way around but fatigue is fatigue. I ran it out to 750 yards no problem starting at 100 yards.

Great barrel , buy with confidence. It wasn't too gassy either with a Sig Ti 556 QD can.

Build

Mur Upper
Vltor A5 buffer
Noveske barrel
Geiselle rail
Sig QD Ti 556 can
BCM lower SSA trigger bla bla bla

What year is your noveske from?

Iraqgunz
07-23-18, 02:19
Personally I would skip 14.5" and go with a SIONICS 16" Midlength barrel.

CoryCop25
07-23-18, 04:49
I don't see a 15" midlength barrel on the Sionics site....

BrigandTwoFour
07-23-18, 06:20
Criterion makes a barrel for ADM that might suit your needs. It comes in chrome lined or nitride format.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1225/

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/img/product/dc0f39e39ee800189559e56fd50cd027.jpg

1 lb 6 oz for that version. They have Criterion's Hybrid profile as well, which adds a bit of mass, but still a continuous taper from chamber to muzzle.

everready73
07-23-18, 07:55

I think he meant 16''. And i think that make sense as well. Why deal with a pin/weld to make it legal or have to have a SBR lower for it

Iraqgunz
07-23-18, 15:52
Hmmm... yes it was a typo.

CoryCop25
07-25-18, 19:23
A 16" barrel with a suppressor will not fit in my patrol vehicle's gun rack.

Clint
07-25-18, 20:17
With a suppressor, you'll want to lean towards the longer gas system.

Definitely a middy 14.5 over a carbine.

HD1911
07-28-18, 09:39
With a suppressor, you'll want to lean towards the longer gas system.

Definitely a middy 14.5 over a carbine.

Yes, this.

drtywk
07-28-18, 10:48
It is a bit on the spendy side, but check out the Hodge 14.5 middy. OP Tactical has them available for preorder and I know that they will be shipping on Monday or Tuesday, https://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html.

Furbyballer
07-28-18, 11:03
It is a bit on the spendy side, but check out the Hodge 14.5 middy. OP Tactical has them available for preorder and I know that they will be shipping on Monday or Tuesday, https://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html.I would not choose the hodge unless you are going to dedicate a suppresor to it 100%. Mine wont run on an a5h0 even with full power m193. Apparently they say it can run on a normal carbine spring and light buffer. I will say its the best single barrel i have shot suppressed however with my sf 556 mini. The mini is now the designated can for that rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HD1911
07-28-18, 11:06
To those who have been talking about DD barrels being overgassed: Yes there were several barrels that were overgassed in the past, but that really isn't the case any longer... ok, maybe other than their current 11.5 barrel (.076), that they are going to be changing come September (.069).

Their 14.5 middy is gassed wonderfully (.076). IIRC, it's .001-.002 smaller diameter than the BCM. Also, their 10.3" Mk18 barrels are indeed .070 Crane spec'd, just FYI. I'd give DD barrels some serious consideration, amongst a few others out there like BCM and Clint's barrels from BRT.

EDIT: Personally, I prefer Pinned gas blocks, not to derail the thread or start arguments, for anything serious use. That's just me. Hence DD barrels are normally my top choice, for a chrome lined 5.56 barrel. BRT barrels are looking darn good to me right now, as well...

drtywk
07-28-18, 19:00
I would not choose the hodge unless you are going to dedicate a suppresor to it 100%. Mine wont run on an a5h0 even with full power m193. Apparently they say it can run on a normal carbine spring and light buffer. I will say its the best single barrel i have shot suppressed however with my sf 556 mini. The mini is now the designated can for that rifle.

Why are you running an A5H0 when Jim recommends an H/H1 or an H2? I run an H2 in my 14.5 with no issues suppressed or unsuppressed. I also have 16" middy and 12.5" Hodge guns. I run an A5H2 in the 12.5 and an H in the 16". I don't suppress the 16" gun though.

vicious_cb
07-28-18, 19:04
I would not choose the hodge unless you are going to dedicate a suppresor to it 100%. Mine wont run on an a5h0 even with full power m193. Apparently they say it can run on a normal carbine spring and light buffer. I will say its the best single barrel i have shot suppressed however with my sf 556 mini. The mini is now the designated can for that rifle.

Interesting, my Hodge 14.5 hasnt shipped yet but another Hodge user has had no problems with an A5H0 + Springco green. Thats the combo Ill be using with the Hodge.

Furbyballer
07-28-18, 19:53
Why are you running an A5H0 when Jim recommends an H/H1 or an H2? I run an H2 in my 14.5 with no issues suppressed or unsuppressed. I also have 16" middy and 12.5" Hodge guns. I run an A5H2 in the 12.5 and an H in the 16". I don't suppress the 16" gun though.Because i started at a h2 and when that failed to strip and chamber the next round i went lighter and lighter. It doesnt matter to me as i bought this barrel with the intention of suppressing it just sharing my feedback that with a green spring and a5h0 with a pmag and men 56 grain m193 my gun is a single shot until i throw my can on.

MQ105
07-29-18, 09:46
The BA Hanson profiled CHF (DD blank) 14.5 mid is great in my opinion. You get CHF, DD quality and accuracy, and the excellent Hanson profile. Mine has been superb. Definitely not over-gassed at .076". Last I looked there was one for sale in the EE.

TommyG
07-29-18, 10:29
Centurion has a 16 inch mid length hammer forged barrel. Give them a call and see if you could order 14.5 or 14.7. I would be surprised if they told you no. They have done all sorts of wild stuff for people. Pretty sure Stickman had picks up of a CMR with an FSP cutout that they did for somebody once upon a time.

I'm in the same boat. Parts are sitting while I decide what to put together. I'll be interested to see what you settle on.

MistWolf
07-29-18, 12:22
Because i started at a h2 and when that failed to strip and chamber the next round i went lighter and lighter. It doesnt matter to me as i bought this barrel with the intention of suppressing it just sharing my feedback that with a green spring and a5h0 with a pmag and men 56 grain m193 my gun is a single shot until i throw my can on.

It's been my experience that switching to a lighter buffer doesn't help when an AR is under-gassed

Wolfpack45
07-31-18, 13:56
Anyone pin gauged or know the gas port size on the Hodge 14.5 Middy?

Wake27
07-31-18, 14:14
Anyone pin gauged or know the gas port size on the Hodge 14.5 Middy?

I haven’t but I believe it’s supposed to be .074.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfpack45
07-31-18, 14:29
I haven’t but I believe it’s supposed to be .74.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats quite a bit smaller than my .082 over-gassed Noveske. Might be picking one up...

Vegasshooter
08-04-18, 08:30
I have recently been shooting a Noveske Afghan 14.5. I can’t BELIEVE how accurate it is proving to be!! Like, possibly my most accurate short of some Bartlein’s in a GAP-10 and my A.I.
Mine is absolutely not over gassed, quite the opposite in fact. I’m running an A-5 system with a Springco spring, but just a normal Noveske gas block, no adjustable in this gun. My rifle is almost EXACTLY like PappaBear’s (great minds think alike). Mine is a Noveske Gen 2 lower, a Noveske branded Vltor upper (super awesome and stiff). Running a Geiselle MK 4 13” rail. Noveske has block, Noveske push pins, SSA-E trigger. Normally I shoot a NF NX8 1-8 or an ATACR 1-8 on it. For groups I put my S&B PMII 3-20 on it (from my GAP-10) Using a Harris bi-pod and a rear bag using Speer 75gr Gold Dots, the gun shot FIVE groups under 1moa at 100 yds. My best was .62 MOA. This was 5 groups, same day, same weather, etc. shooting 5 groups UNDER MOA using Bonded ammo is fantastic in my book. Given handloads, or even Gold Medal Match SMK’s 77gr, this Barrel May well be .5 MOA. I know with accuracy and precision we are looking at “what can it consistently do?” Not “what it did once.” This barrel/gun, did 5 groups Sub MOA on one day. I have barrels made by BCM (Criterion), Colt, Daniel Defense and a couple others. To me, only accurate rifles get to stay around. This Noveske has REALLY amazed me. It’s definitely the best mass produced barrel I own. I’m really liking it, and will definitely pursue more Noveske barrels.

One more thing: according to the seller of this barrel, it was much older. Brand new, but from back when John was still alive. When I spoke to Grant at Noveske, he confirmed the barrel sounded as described. MAYBE the gas ports were changed at some point, idk, but mine isn’t over gassed.

Wake27
08-04-18, 14:46
One more thing: according to the seller of this barrel, it was much older. Brand new, but from back when John was still alive. When I spoke to Grant at Noveske, he confirmed the barrel sounded as described. MAYBE the gas ports were changed at some point, idk, but mine isn’t over gassed.

I was wondering when the barrel was made as I was reading this. The barrel I got from them about 2-2.5 years ago wasn't as gassy as the one I got from them a few months ago. Granted neither are Afghans, but it seems as if they may have opened up their ports at some point in the last two years or so, at least based off my experience. Glad yours is shooting so well.

Pappabear
08-04-18, 15:37
I have recently been shooting a Noveske Afghan 14.5. I can’t BELIEVE how accurate it is proving to be!! Like, possibly my most accurate short of some Bartlein’s in a GAP-10 and my A.I.
Mine is absolutely not over gassed, quite the opposite in fact. I’m running an A-5 system with a Springco spring, but just a normal Noveske gas block, no adjustable in this gun. My rifle is almost EXACTLY like PappaBear’s (great minds think alike). Mine is a Noveske Gen 2 lower, a Noveske branded Vltor upper (super awesome and stiff). Running a Geiselle MK 4 13” rail. Noveske has block, Noveske push pins, SSA-E trigger. Normally I shoot a NF NX8 1-8 or an ATACR 1-8 on it. For groups I put my S&B PMII 3-20 on it (from my GAP-10) Using a Harris bi-pod and a rear bag using Speer 75gr Gold Dots, the gun shot FIVE groups under 1moa at 100 yds. My best was .62 MOA. This was 5 groups, same day, same weather, etc. shooting 5 groups UNDER MOA using Bonded ammo is fantastic in my book. Given handloads, or even Gold Medal Match SMK’s 77gr, this Barrel May well be .5 MOA. I know with accuracy and precision we are looking at “what can it consistently do?” Not “what it did once.” This barrel/gun, did 5 groups Sub MOA on one day. I have barrels made by BCM (Criterion), Colt, Daniel Defense and a couple others. To me, only accurate rifles get to stay around. This Noveske has REALLY amazed me. It’s definitely the best mass produced barrel I own. I’m really liking it, and will definitely pursue more Noveske barrels.

Thats awesome Vegas, our guns are almost identical in build and my barrel is also the old variety. I bought it many years ago. Again, mine isn't gassy either. Great to hear yours is grouping with consistency.

Vicious CB, I just saw your question after re reading the thread, Im not sure what year but id guess about 4 years ago, maybe longer.

PB

vicious_cb
08-04-18, 23:58

Is this the barrel being sold by Roach works on Gunbroker for $300? I was eyeing these barrels a few months ago but was told by Stickman that these were not as described. I believe the thread is in his forum section.

Thanks papabear. Trying to identify a cutoff date were noveske started taking a turn downhill. I covet my pre Johns death recon barrel so much that I won't run anything but 77gr smks or tmks. To me shootin anything else is a waste of barrel life.

Vegasshooter
08-05-18, 09:08
Is this the barrel being sold by Roach works on Gunbroker for $300? I was eyeing these barrels a few months ago but was told by Stickman that these were not as described. I believe the thread is in his forum section.

Thanks papabear. Trying to identify a cutoff date were noveske started taking a turn downhill. I covet my pre Johns death recon barrel so much that I won't run anything but 77gr smks or tmks. To me shootin anything else is a waste of barrel life.

No Sir, my Barrel was purchased off of TOS. The seller had it new in the plastic mesh. Had it a WHILE, just never built a gun around it. I don’t have that discipline.....I’ve built uppers around a Spare flash hider. �� hahahahaha.

I too only shoot top shelf ammo. Either MK262, or Speer Gold Dots. I won’t waste Barrel life on XM193. Not on that gun. That gun is the culmination of EVERY build I have done. It’s literally THE BEST parts (IMO) available. From Vltor Noveske upper, Noveske lower, Noveske marked Radian Raptor charging handle, etc.

I’m getting off topic though. The BARREL is an insane shooter.

Hulkstr8
08-09-18, 16:08
First off, I readily admit I am a Green Mountain Barrel fanboi.

Keeping this mind from your OP:

. . .

Hope this helps.

I would stay away from Green Mountain. Overgassed. Customer Service told me to pound pud when I inquired about why they chose their gas port size. Just wanted to balance the scale.

There are tons of Gucci barrel recommendations in this thread. I am jelly. I usually stick with BA Hanson barrels.
I do have one LaRue Stealth barrel which feels overgassed, but I haven't tried to pull any accuracy tests out of it. The machining and finish was sublime tho.

everready73
08-09-18, 19:33
Does Sionics use Green mountain blanks??

I like Green mountain and the gm8 midlength I have seems gassed similar to a BCM I have Wich is. 078 I believe. I think with gm they will sell overruns from companies they oem for so if they spec a .081 port in a midlength they will sell it. The owner posts on tos in their industry forum and seems like a good guy. He had done profiles just from people asking

sycotik
08-10-18, 08:21
To those who have been talking about DD barrels being overgassed: Yes there were several barrels that were overgassed in the past, but that really isn't the case any longer... ok, maybe other than their current 11.5 barrel (.076), that they are going to be changing come September (.069).

Their 14.5 middy is gassed wonderfully (.076). IIRC, it's .001-.002 smaller diameter than the BCM. Also, their 10.3" Mk18 barrels are indeed .070 Crane spec'd, just FYI. I'd give DD barrels some serious consideration, amongst a few others out there like BCM and Clint's barrels from BRT.

EDIT: Personally, I prefer Pinned gas blocks, not to derail the thread or start arguments, for anything serious use. That's just me. Hence DD barrels are normally my top choice, for a chrome lined 5.56 barrel. BRT barrels are looking darn good to me right now, as well...

Hmm, I was looking at DD for their 11.5in. If this is true about the reduced gas port coming, I will hold off a bit for my purchase. Can you let us know if/when you find out that it has happened?

WS6
08-10-18, 09:25

Pre-2010, based on my experience. I dunno how far before then, but the oldest one I owned was a 2010, so sometime before that.

scottryan
08-10-18, 10:52

How do you know they are changing the 11.5” barrel to .069” ?

This is exactly what I want.

My two others are .076 and are over gassed.

judgecrater
08-13-18, 21:27
Yes, do look at Faxon. I used on of their pencil barrel and love it. They have a large variety of weights and lengths at the right price.

WS6
08-14-18, 03:49
How do you know they are changing the 11.5” barrel to .069” ?

This is exactly what I want.

My two others are .076 and are over gassed.

Very interesting, if they are. It seems like DD is getting more and more in line with the military and certain programs, and leaving behind "We want Fudds to run steel-case without warranty calls!"

Sidneyious
08-14-18, 16:49
I'm not suppressed but I buy from solgw.
Mike will hook you up, he's a great guy and more than welcome to talk to folks.

CoryCop25
08-14-18, 17:28
Here's where I'm at so far...

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1797/29101082487_e511e79888_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LkyDXv)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/LkyDXv) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

Wake27
08-14-18, 17:47
What about BCM's EMW-F 14.5 Middy (https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Barrel-ENHANCED-MID-WEIGHT-FLUTED-p/bcm-brl-mid-14-emwf-std.htm)? Its not a BFH unfortunately, but the heavier profile may help with POI shift (I can't own suppressors out here so I've never looked to see if that rumor is true) but its still a continuous taper and has fluting so it should handle better than a government profile. BCM middies are pretty much always .076 I believe, so maybe not the absolute best for suppression but will function reliably either way and should be accurate enough as well.

CoryCop25
08-14-18, 17:55
What about BCM's EMW-F 14.5 Middy (https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Barrel-ENHANCED-MID-WEIGHT-FLUTED-p/bcm-brl-mid-14-emwf-std.htm)? Its not a BFH unfortunately, but the heavier profile may help with POI shift (I can't own suppressors out here so I've never looked to see if that rumor is true) but its still a continuous taper and has fluting so it should handle better than a government profile. BCM middies are pretty much always .076 I believe, so maybe not the absolute best for suppression but will function reliably either way and should be accurate enough as well.

That is the profile that I am leaning toward.
I have a BCM 14.5 ELWF currently on my teaching rifle...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15364460820_0955491996_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ppGSUU)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/ppGSUU) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

fledge
08-14-18, 18:00
Centurion stainless 14.5 barrel is mid-gas.

They say it’s MOA to 10,000 rounds.

G&R has them on sale. They are out of stock now. Spendy but bring precision if you want that.

Wake27
08-14-18, 18:05

G&R has them on sale. They are out of stock now. Spendy but bring precision if you want that.

I think the Centurion barrels are closer to .080. TO me, gas ports like that are similar to government profile barrels, I just don't see the point.

Wake27
08-14-18, 18:09
That is the profile that I am leaning toward.
I have a BCM 14.5 ELWF currently on my teaching rifle...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15364460820_0955491996_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ppGSUU)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/ppGSUU) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

Yup. I have one with the magnesium KMR that's been the wife's gun ever since they first came out. I haven't used it quite as much as my others, but its never let me down. In fact in my last class, I was tired of dealing with my other upper so I grabbed this gun and won a little competition between all of the shooters. I really want to try an SR-15 Mod 2, but keep debating an ELW/EMW upper just because it has always served me well.

Tigereye
08-14-18, 18:09

My sample of one is incredibly accurate.

Furbyballer
08-14-18, 20:11
My sample of one is incredibly accurate.Same. I've shot 10 round groups with 77 grain black hills tmks sub moa out of my 14.5 centurion recce with my atacr. My gas port pinned at .078 and runs awesome with a surefire mini.

CoryCop25
11-21-18, 01:11
New barrel chosen and ordered.....

everready73
11-21-18, 07:40
New barrel chosen and ordered.....

and.... What did you go with

CoryCop25
11-23-18, 19:17
I went with a barrel from BRT.
Spoke to Clint, who of course is an awesome dude, and I'll get pics up when I receive it!

daddyusmaximus
11-23-18, 21:06
Too late. I just found this thread and was gonna suggest this.

https://ballisticadvantage.com/14-5-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

opngrnd
11-23-18, 21:29
I went with a barrel from BRT.
Spoke to Clint, who of course is an awesome dude, and I'll get pics up when I receive it!

14" barrel from BRT?

CoryCop25
11-23-18, 22:34
yes sir

opngrnd
11-23-18, 23:49
yes sir

Good deal. I'm in line for the same barrel. I have one of his other barrels and I've been pretty happy with it.

CoryCop25
01-09-19, 18:39
Got my barrel,
Waiting for the flash hider to get pinned and welded.
I was able to put a Sandman K on it and it looks pretty sweet.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4830/39717761943_7946e5777b_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23vHUT2)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/23vHUT2) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7870/45767521775_7179f3b75c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cJjvH2)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2cJjvH2) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

snackgunner
01-09-19, 20:00
Got my barrel,
Waiting for the flash hider to get pinned and welded.
I was able to put a Sandman K on it and it looks pretty sweet.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4830/39717761943_7946e5777b_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23vHUT2)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/23vHUT2) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7870/45767521775_7179f3b75c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cJjvH2)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2cJjvH2) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr
are you going for 16" oal?

CoryCop25
01-09-19, 20:03
Yes.
A Dead Air flash hider will make it 16" OAL.

everready73
01-10-19, 07:54
Looking forward to an update when you shoot it. Looks like its going to be a nice build

MistWolf
01-10-19, 09:49
Cory builds sweet ARs.

CoryCop25
01-29-19, 21:17
I received the barrel. It comes with a micro gas block and gas tube. The machining and finish were very nice. I assembled it onto the upper and pinned the muzzle device onto the barrel.
Here's a few pics...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4903/46197595324_1ac2457211_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dojKAd)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2dojKAd) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4877/46922481241_1b60402727_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eunYVg)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2eunYVg) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7838/31981338837_b7d7894c8d_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QJ5HPK)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/QJ5HPK) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7864/46008155245_28e766d7a4_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2d6zPDX)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2d6zPDX) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7867/46922492801_da3bb79cfb_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2euo3mz)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2euo3mz) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4838/46197606924_48301310d1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dojP3d)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2dojP3d) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4904/39957703733_11c1d113f9_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23SVFdr)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/23SVFdr) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

opngrnd
01-29-19, 22:09
Range report, please! I have 75 rounds through my 14" BRT barrel, but haven't done anything exhaustive yet. I have a muzzle brake pinned to mine, and it is a very soft shooter.

Wake27
01-29-19, 22:38
I received the barrel. It comes with a micro gas block and gas tube. The machining and finish were very nice. I assembled it onto the upper and pinned the muzzle device onto the barrel.
Here's a few pics...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4903/46197595324_1ac2457211_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dojKAd)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2dojKAd) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4877/46922481241_1b60402727_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eunYVg)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2eunYVg) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7838/31981338837_b7d7894c8d_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QJ5HPK)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/QJ5HPK) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7864/46008155245_28e766d7a4_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2d6zPDX)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2d6zPDX) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7867/46922492801_da3bb79cfb_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2euo3mz)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2euo3mz) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4838/46197606924_48301310d1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dojP3d)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2dojP3d) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4904/39957703733_11c1d113f9_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23SVFdr)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/23SVFdr) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

Damn. I want that rifle. That may be the first time I've seen a CMR that covers the entire barrel and it looks good. Same with the barrel itself.

CoryCop25
01-30-19, 01:43
Still need to get sights and an optic. I also just threw the SD3G in it. I want an SSA trigger.

The flash hider actually timed up perfectly without shims but I added shims so that I was certain that the suppressor cleared the rail. I don't have the suppressor yet so I didn't want to pin the flash hider on and then not have the suppressor fit!

CoryCop25
02-04-19, 14:26
Got some parts in today....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4846/46933253042_55c4446a57_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2evkbZY)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2evkbZY) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7852/32043845107_45955a3757_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QPB5L4)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/QPB5L4) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

everready73
02-04-19, 19:48
Nice! Let us know how it shoots

01svtL
02-04-19, 21:52
Interested too. I probably would have bought one had they been in stock. I went for my first Hanson barrel in the BA 14.5 .625 for this build though.

TommyG
02-05-19, 07:39
Nice work.

CoryCop25
02-05-19, 08:30
I can’t wait to get this rifle out to shoot it! I have a T-1 on a rifle I don’t shoot often but I don’t want to keep stripping old guns for parts.
I looked at the MRO but I’m not sure I like the lens coating. Seems to add a glare or fog or something.
I have a Geissele Super Tricon trigger en-route.
I have a Arasica M300 light body laying around somewhere all I need is a light head and tail clicky.

CoryCop25
02-06-19, 11:02
So I went to the Geat Outdoor Show in Harrisburg yesterday. I wasn't very impressed compared to other years. The other issue is that the reps are most likely burned out from SHOT Show. It was like pulling teeth to get information from them. They were sleep standing.
Anyway, I stopped at the Geissele booth and purchased a Super Precision mount for the Micro T-1 I had on an older rifle.
The Super Tricon Trigger is in the mail (Thanks Mistwolf!) and all I need is an M300 light head.
To the range Monday morning! I can't wait! I'm going to zero it with M855 and then confirm with the Hornady 62gr TAP Barrier that I plan on using for social activities...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4880/40042776153_d961875d15_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/241rGhi)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/241rGhi) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7877/46093570535_342d379926_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2de8ADn)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2de8ADn) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

01svtL
02-06-19, 11:49
Looks good! Looking forward to the feedback.

MistWolf
02-06-19, 12:12
So I went to the Geat Outdoor Show in Harrisburg
G.O.S.H.!

The Super Tricon Trigger is in the mail (Thanks Mistwolf!)

You're welcome :)