PDA

View Full Version : A true Quiet Professional

CarlosDJackal
10-27-08, 10:30
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2008/10/navy_secrethero_102708w/

Valor under fire earned lt. a Navy Cross he can’t wear

By Andrew Scutro - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Oct 27, 2008 8:47:38 EDT

Somewhere out in the fleet, there’s a Navy medical officer who earned the Navy Cross during vicious, hammering combat five years ago.

And he’s not authorized to wear the award — second only to the Medal of Honor.

That’s because the 2003 mission, during which the officer fought like a demon and put himself in the line of fire to save several wounded American and Afghan comrades from al-Qaida and Taliban forces, remains classified.

And so does his identity.

A spokeswoman for the Navy secretary confirmed the existence of the Navy Cross recipient after Navy Times forwarded her a copy of the officer’s citation, in which his name is redacted. So secret was the award that the Navy did not include it when queried as to the number of sailors who have earned the Navy Cross since Sept. 11, 2001. The Navy has now changed the number of recipients from six to seven, even though the seventh award was presented more than a year ago.

“The Department of the Navy has approved the awarding of seven Navy Crosses for Navy personnel,” Capt. Beci Brenton, spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Donald Winter, said Friday.

According to the citation, which is not classified, the unnamed lieutenant wasn’t caught in one brutal firefight but two. The citation does not identify the country but references Afghan personnel who were part of a “joint operational unit” on a mounted patrol with Americans.

Unclear whether night or day, the patrol was ambushed and pounded by “extremely heavy fire from rocket propelled grenades and small arms fire.” The lieutenant got out of his truck to return fire and pulled a wounded Afghan commander behind the engine block and away from the bullets.

Still under fire, he extricated a wounded American, the driver, who was “trapped behind the steering wheel” of a stricken vehicle.

While patching up that American, the lieutenant used his body as a shield, taking several bullets that only punched through his clothing and gear. He then made his way toward two wounded Afghans in the lead vehicles.

After tending to them, he found a squad of Afghan soldiers in “disarray,” rallied them and sent them forward to “break the ambush.”

The account of the first contact ends with the lieutenant treating and evacuating several wounded.

Later in the day, “while sweeping an area of earlier action, a U.S.-Afghan element was ambushed by a platoon-sized enemy force” near the lieutenant. It’s not clear whether the element was the same joint operating unit ambushed earlier.

After an American and an Afghan were “severely wounded,” the lieutenant had to run 200 meters “between opposing forces” and under “withering and continuous heavy machine gun and small arms fire.”

The lieutenant took shrapnel while tending to the two and protecting them from fire “now directed at him.”

An Apache gunship fired rockets while the lieutenant mustered the remaining Afghans, led a “fighting withdrawal” to safety, then moved out “overland back to base.” He finally treated his own wounds when he stopped moving.

In the citation signed by Winter, the lieutenant was noted for “heroic display of decisive and tenacious leadership, unyielding courage in the face of constant enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty. ...”
‘Sensitive’ mission

Brenton said the information in the citation is unclassified but the officer’s identity remains undisclosed because “the mission was sensitive.”

He was awarded the Navy Cross in April 2007.

“His name has been redacted to protect the individual, as well as the individual’s family,” Brenton said.

She confirmed that he is alive, but it is unclear whether he is still in the Navy or if he has since been promoted.

While acknowledging seven recipients, the Navy has given names of only four of them: Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (FMF) Luis Fonseca; Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class (SEAL) Danny Dietz; Sonar Technician (Surface) 2nd Class (SEAL) Matthew Axelson; and Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Marcus Luttrell.

“The other three were presented privately due to the sensitivity and classified nature of their missions,” Brenton said.

Besides the lieutenant, the other two, according to several Internet searches, are Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt Slabinski and Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Stephen Bass. Their citations are on the Legion of Valor’s Web site. The legion is a congressionally chartered organization of Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross and Air Force Cross recipients. Once a service member earns one of those awards, he becomes a member of the legion.

SHIVAN
10-27-08, 13:01
So his official records can't show the award, therefore if he wore it, he would be in jeopardy of court martial if questioned on it? That sucks!

He doesn't sound like your typical medical officer, sounds more like the actions of a SEAL.

I am glad there are men and women like him protecting our freedoms, even if he doesn't get to wear the Navy Cross just yet.

Sidewinder6
10-27-08, 20:22
Remains Classified until an O6 needs his ticket punched and can not have the blank time on his career history. Then it will be de-classified. I wish this were funny.

HE knows as do his colleagues and that probably means more than anything.

Perhaps, as times travels, the security veil will drop. In any event, on the off chance he ( or his friends ) sees this convey a well done to the Doc.

CarlosDJackal
10-27-08, 22:09
I'd be willing to bet that he could care less about wearing another piece of "bling" in this point of his career. Somehow I doubt that he needs that medl to remind him what he had done. He and those around him know exacly what he did.

SeriousStudent
10-27-08, 22:17
Every day, our country should remember and thank brave men such as this.

I am very appreciative that there are brave men and women that protect my children, and keep them safe from terrorists that would rejoice over them, if allowed.

I am much too old to wear the uniform again, but I will never be too old to stand and salute those that do.

SHIVAN
10-27-08, 22:17
It let's those who don't know specifically about him, understand that he wears a Navy Cross and that his actions are those to mirror as they embark on their careers.

Based on his selfless acts, I understand he doesn't need the Navy Cross for himself, but I sure as hell would hope the young guns up and coming can see it and know that this man is to be listened to, learned from and ****ing admired.

I'm sure most everyone knows around him, but just the same it kind of sucks...

Shadow1198
10-28-08, 04:23
With all of the idiots this country has produced over the past couple of generations, it sure is refreshing from time to time to hear of those select few individuals that have been awarded such distinguished medals for such amazing actions. It really makes you realize that there are still awe-inspiring Americans among us of the same caliber as the patriots that helped found this country. It is an odd sensation but, every day I grow older, and the more stories like this I hear, the smaller and more insignificant it almost makes me feel about myself after hearing of the amazing heroism displayed by these exceptional men. Great examples to live by for sure. :)

CarlosDJackal
10-28-08, 14:41
It let's those who don't know specifically about him, understand that he wears a Navy Cross and that his actions are those to mirror as they embark on their careers.

Based on his selfless acts, I understand he doesn't need the Navy Cross for himself, but I sure as hell would hope the young guns up and coming can see it and know that this man is to be listened to, learned from and ****ing admired.

I'm sure most everyone knows around him, but just the same it kind of sucks...

I tend to disagree. Not to toot my own horn, but I rarely wear my own badges when in ACUs (they have to be pinned on). Even though I'm in an Airborne unit where everyone who don't know any better assume that you're a leg unless they see you wearing your Jump wings. Most are surprised when they find out that I have more jumps than most of them put together. And even though I have qualified Expert in every weapon I have had to; I have never worn any of my Marksmanship badges ever since I became an Officer.

I'm not saying that any of my awards even come close to the Navy Cross (none of them are even in the same Continent). What I'm saying is it doesn't suck as much as you think. I personally get a lot of personal pride in knowing that I have forgotten more about jumping out of planes than a lot of the five-jump-chumps who like to talk it up when they assume that I'm a Cherry. I'm also willing to bet that the Petty Officers in his unit will make sure that any newly assigned Sailors know what this Officer has done in a way that most good NCOs do.

Besides, it's not like he wasn't awarded the medal. During the Cold War there were a lot of Aircrews who received awards that were "lower" than what they were eligible for because their missions were so secret. Their Commanders could not risk filing the paperwork needed for the awards in order to ensure their missions' secrecy. Instead, they received medals that could be awarded at the discretion of General Officers. I'm not sure if any of these have been rescinded and the proper awards given since this information was declassified.

Let's not minimize the nature of this award by saying how much it must suck that he can't wear it with the rest of his awards. JM2CW.

SHIVAN
10-28-08, 14:52
I tend to disagree.

Your're God given right.

Let's not minimize the nature of this award by saying how much it must suck that he can't wear it with the rest of his awards.

Please do not misrepresent my sentiments. You can disagree with it, but your paraphrasing above does not jive with my content. I have no intention of minimizing anything, and in fact feel just the opposite -- to the extreme.

I also still believe, despite your personal preference to run slick, that working alongside a Navy Cross or MOH reciepient would be a motivator for the guys who weren't there.

SwatDawg15
10-29-08, 00:52
It sucks that he can't wear it, if he would anyway. Most of them special forces guys hate attention with a passion.

A_shizzle
10-29-08, 01:36
This is kinda off topic but i highly suggest that if you like to read you should pick up the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Its about the three seals that this article mentioned receiving the medal of honor. An amazing story about true American heros.

Safetyhit
10-29-08, 13:22
I agree that he should at least be able to display the medal if he chooses to do so, for whatever reason.

Seems a bit odd that an operation involving Afghan troops would be so secretive, as I would have thought that ops that sensitive would be done by US forces only (like cross border raids and such). I suppose there is a sound reason for the decision, though.

texasfrog
10-29-08, 22:57
This is kinda off topic but i highly suggest that if you like to read you should pick up the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Its about the three seals that this article mentioned receiving the medal of honor. An amazing story about true American heros.

None of the guys mentioned in the article received the CMOH, Michael Murphy received the CMOH for his actions on Operation Red Wing, the same Op that Marcus Luttrell and the rest of the fire team was in on. Nontheless, it is an amazing story written by a good man.

mattjmcd
10-30-08, 01:01
Kinda strange that an MD would be outside of the wire even on some kind of special mission. Why tote an MD along on any mission?

Maybe a snatch job targeting somebody likely to need medical attention above and beyond what a corpsman might provide? (total WAG) Lord knows that a routine MEDCAP wouldn't be hush-hush. Weird.