PDA

View Full Version : Rolling AR15 Armorer Tool Cart

SOTAR
07-23-18, 13:36
I got tired of hunting through toolchest drawers to find my AR Tools, it also saves me time moving tools around the shop. Thought others may find the idea iseful for their own shop.

I don't store my Gages out in the open. They are stored in bins grouped by caliber and labeled.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blg9moknvnd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1n66bqmr4qrlg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blg9u4-n3qv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1hez9v758kc46

GH41
07-23-18, 15:27
Only problem I see is you have 5 too many adjustable wrenches. The best number to have is zero.

SOTAR
07-23-18, 15:32
Only problem I see is you have 5 too many adjustable wrenches. The best number to have is zero.

Agreed, but with exception to the blue handle one. That one is slim jawed and works on a lot of different muzzle devices with thin wrench flats.

everready73
07-23-18, 18:09
Nice setup! I need to add some new tools. If I had a quarter of that I would be happy lol. Sitting over here with my roll pin punches, hammer, receiver block, and armorer's wrench

GH41
07-23-18, 18:50
Agreed, but with exception to the blue handle one. That one is slim jawed and works on a lot of different muzzle devices with thin wrench flats.

Adjustable wrenches are worthless. I don't care what you say! Adjustable wrenches identify you as a shade tree gunsmith at best! Are you a licenced professional or just an unlicensed guy building rifles in you garage? Be careful how you answer the question.

SOTAR
07-23-18, 19:21
Adjustable wrenches are worthless. I don't care what you say! Adjustable wrenches identify you as a shade tree gunsmith at best! Are you a licenced professional or just an unlicensed guy building rifles in you garage? Be careful how you answer the question.

As I said some muzzle devices have wrench flats that are too thin for Armorers Wrenches and common wrenches (non tappet style). The slim Jaw unit has come in handy, the rest are there in case some other tool fails.

I don't too my own horn but I will list my credentials.

1 year Gunsmith Apprentice (Under a Master Gunsmith)
12 years as a professional Gunsmith (Employee/Licensed FFL)

In total I have slightly under, or a little over about 10k AR's that I have crossed my bench in that time, not counting other platforms.

I am on my own now and doing my own thing. If you want more details I will gladly P.M. them. I'm not here to advertise, just share what I have learned.

SOTAR
07-23-18, 19:25
Nice setup! I need to add some new tools. If I had a quarter of that I would be happy lol. Sitting over here with my roll pin punches, hammer, receiver block, and armorer's wrench

At least you have that. Lots of people try dinking on guns and don't have any proper tools for the job.

Thanks for the compliments.

Clint
07-23-18, 19:31
Looks clean.

Why take the tools to the gun bench rather than take the gun to the tool bench?

SOTAR
07-23-18, 20:26
Looks clean.

Why take the tools to the gun bench rather than take the gun to the tool bench?

That was my thought behind this. I know it's not for everyone, but I know many here take servicing and building seriously so I wanted to share my passion with you all.

Thank you for the compliments Clint.

26 Inf
07-23-18, 21:51
That was my thought behind this. I know it's not for everyone, but I know many here take servicing and building seriously so I wanted to share my passion with you all.

As you said, not for every one, but what you've done is taken the equivalent of 8 feet of wall space over the bench and put it into half the space. Plus you have the ability to roll it to other areas in your shop.

Always interesting to see how other folks do things.

mark5pt56
07-24-18, 05:42
looks great! Bonney wrenches are great for those thin area's.

GH41
07-24-18, 06:41
looks great! Bonney wrenches are great for those thin area's.

Bonney tools are almost collectable now. Tappet wrenches are also thin.

26 Inf
07-24-18, 10:27

I kind of agree with GH41 on the adjustable wrenches and I hate the cut outs on the armorers wrenches.

I largely have Craftsman wrenches and sockets. I've had a set of Craftsman tappet wrenches for several years, I bought them when our local Sears store closed. I checked and Sears apparently doesn't carry them anymore.

This looks like the same set: https://www.amazon.com/Polished-Craftsman-Standard-Tappet-Wrench/dp/B07BR7HY35/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532445849&sr=8-1&keywords=tappet+wrench

Mine are nice, no raised panels on the handle, nicely polished.

10MMGary
07-24-18, 10:29

That is some funny shit right there, and clandestine's response is epic.

wetidlerjr
07-24-18, 11:15
All together now...

Let's learn now how to use an adjustable wrench.
1, Identify the nut or bolt you want to tighten.
2. Open the adjustable wrench by turning the screw mechanism. ...
3. Slip the open jaw over the nut and hold it in place. ...
4. Turn the wrench in a clockwise direction to tighten it, or counter-clockwise to loosen it.

:lol:

SOTAR
07-24-18, 12:41
You guys are great :)

FWIW, I use much of the non AR Specific Tools around the house and on the vehicles too. Wife and Kids use them too and know to wipe them down and put them back in the proper place.

SOTAR
07-24-18, 12:44
I kind of agree with GH41 on the adjustable wrenches and I hate the cut outs on the armorers wrenches.

I largely have Craftsman wrenches and sockets. I've had a set of Craftsman tappet wrenches for several years, I bought them when our local Sears store closed. I checked and Sears apparently doesn't carry them anymore.

This looks like the same set: https://www.amazon.com/Polished-Craftsman-Standard-Tappet-Wrench/dp/B07BR7HY35/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532445849&sr=8-1&keywords=tappet+wrench

Mine are nice, no raised panels on the handle, nicely polished.

Thanks

I just ordered the wrenches. I can always use them if they won't work for the AR's.

Joe Mamma
07-24-18, 13:32
That is some funny shit right there, and clandestine's response is epic.

Yeah, and kudos to clandestine for not asking GH41 how many AR's he's worked on.

Nice setup clandestine. Thanks for posting the pics. I think your type of setup is much better than having tools in drawers and boxes. But it takes a lot of time and thought to get a good setup like yours.

Joe Mamma

tim808
07-25-18, 07:32
Looking at your set up reminds me of my high school auto shop.

You just need to draw an outline around each tool on the peg board and you’ll be set :-)

SiGfever
07-25-18, 17:43

A former Instrumentation foreman told me that those are "Navy Socket Set", one size fits all.

Clint
07-25-18, 17:53
Where the heck is the metric adjustable wrench?

GH41
07-25-18, 19:07
A former Instrumentation foreman told me that those are "Navy Socket Set", one size fits all.

All or nothing well! They don't really fit anything well. Maybe good for a homeowner working on his bicycle but that's about it. An old friend's father was the shop foreman at a car dealership. He would fire a mechanic using an adjustable wrench.

26 Inf
07-26-18, 00:54
All or nothing well! They don't really fit anything well. Maybe good for a homeowner working on his bicycle but that's about it. An old friend's father was the shop foreman at a car dealership. He would fire a mechanic using an adjustable wrench.

And yet Snap-On has ten different models - https://store.snapon.com/Adjustable-C629574.aspx :jester:

Just kidding.

CLee0509
07-26-18, 04:34
We use big adjustable wrenches at work all the time changing out hydraulic lines and things of that nature on heavy equipment.

When used correctly they work well and are quicker than having a handful of specific sizes, when in the field you always grab the wrong one first and then the second one isn't right either lol. It wouldn't be so bad but different sized equipment takes different sized wrenches and usually the couplers are in two different sizes so just grab the one big adjustable and go no worries.

On the other hand though they are the last thing I grab doing personal work.

titsonritz
07-26-18, 12:17
Where the heck is the metric adjustable wrench?

Right next to the left-handed screw driver.

Averageman
07-26-18, 12:44
I was walking through the SSA and saw a smaller roll away five drawer tool box strapped upside down to a pallet.
It was exposed to the weather and the drawers we unsecured.
Armourers tool box and at one time a beautiful set. Unfortunately half the tools were missing and the tourque wrenches and gauges were all rusted.
I almost frigging cried when we got it open. The foam cut out held all the available moisture and ruined a lot of good stuff.

Adjustable wrenches blow, but there are times when space and weight restrictions leave you with little choice. Snap On makes an adjustable Crows Foot that's saved me a couple times.

556BlackRifle
07-27-18, 14:42
Never use adjustable wrenches on anything you care about. Nine times out of ten, whatever you're using it on will be f**ked up.

We used to call Vice-Grips the poor man's socket set. Crescent wrench we called nasties. Not sure how these names propagated but that's what we called them back in the day.

GH41
07-27-18, 17:57
Never use adjustable wrenches on anything you care about. Nine times out of ten, whatever you're using it on will be f**ked up.

We used to call Vice-Grips the poor man's socket set. Crescent wrench we called nasties. Not sure how these names propagated but that's what we called them back in the day.

Vice grips and crescent wrenches have their place... For emergency use only. Like on your boat or motorcycle. I would write off a professional mechanic or gun plumber using them as a joke. Like the guy using a nail set and claw hammer to stake a gas block.

MistWolf
07-27-18, 18:25
Vice grips and crescent wrenches have their place... For emergency use only. Like on your boat or motorcycle. I would write off a professional mechanic or gun plumber using them as a joke. Like the guy using a nail set and claw hammer to stake a gas block.

I'd rather see someone use a claw hammer and a nail on an AR than Vise Grips.