PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Magazine for Shooting Prone?

Dr. Bullseye
07-23-18, 23:28
I don't know what section to post this, there would probably be at least three possibilities.

There is a court injunction from enforcement of "high capacity" magazines in California where I am. So for the moment at least, we are free. All I have are 10 round magazines. A 30 round magazine looks too long to shoot prone. Would a 20 round magazine be better? Better than a 10 or a 30? In a related question, is it OK or not to support the rifle on the magazine?

Coal Dragger
07-24-18, 00:04
30 round magazine works fine. Jam it into the deck like a mono-pod.

noonesshowmonkey
07-24-18, 00:49
A loaded one.

556BlackRifle
07-24-18, 01:00
If I'm shooting from a bipod I like Magpul 10 rounders. If I'm not using a bipod I'll use a 30 or 40 round Magpul magazine as a pivot point.

MistWolf
07-24-18, 04:44
Get yourself a couple of each- 20, 30 and 40 rounders and try them out to see which you like best.

wanderson
07-24-18, 05:40
I shoot from a table top a lot with a bipod on a QD mount or a sandbag rest.

The 10s are the easiest to change but if they don’t drop free they can be hard to grab. Overall I use 20s the most, twice the capacity, they don’t touch the table and easy to grab if they don’t drop without adding ranger plates. The GI straight 20s seem to be a bit shorter overall vs the curved 20s.

As for using the mag as a rest, depends on how loose the mag fit is. I have some gen 2 Pmags that I had to file to fit, very tight fit and don’t drop free but work well as a rest, never malfunction. But if they’re loose enough, a misfeed is possible.

There’s an aftermarket gizmo that goes on the bottom of a Pmag that acts kinda like a bipod/rest, can’t remember who it was. Was only a few inches wide but I think it replaced the floor plate.

I also run Elander stainless steel mags, they run fine in my BCM & Anderson AR and PSA .300bo. Might be worth it to try one if using as a rest, they’re heavier than the aluminum mags but sturdy with a snug fit that still drops free.

thegreyman
07-24-18, 06:24
What's Prone done? Couldn't resist; like Chief Inspector Clouseau, the the croquet mallet was unavoidable. Apologies.

mlberry
07-24-18, 06:53
I found that it depends on how close you want to get to the ground and present the smallest target. 20 rds were no problem but the 30 rds bottomed out. I would suggest 10 and 20 rds. Remember we fought the Vietnam War with 20 rd magazines and those were ample to waste tons of ammunition.

BrigandTwoFour
07-24-18, 11:11
What’s the goal? Are you trying to use the mag as monopod to stabilize the rifle? Or are you trying to get as low as possible and use only your arms/body to stabilize?

If the former, a quality 30 rounder is the way.

If the latter, a quality 20 rounder.

jackblack73
07-24-18, 11:50
Does it really matter how it shoots when prone? If I could suddenly buy standard capacity mags I’d buy a bunch of 20s and 30s regardless.

Furbyballer
07-24-18, 11:59
Gen 2 pmag with a mag pod.

The_War_Wagon
07-24-18, 12:38
I've had 20 rd. PMags & Brownell's mags work fine for me with a Harris 6" bipod, w/o the legs extended, on a level surface.

ndmiller
07-24-18, 21:02
MagPul should send a few tractor trailers full of regular capacity (10, 20, 30's) into the state weekly during the injunction.

Stickman
07-25-18, 00:21
USGI 20 round metal mags. All day every day, it isn’t even a question in my mind.

Iraqgunz
07-25-18, 01:06
Let's keep this on track and not speculate on the 9th Circus or legalities.

CPM
07-25-18, 13:41
A loaded one.

This.

markm
07-25-18, 13:45
USGI 20 round metal mags. All day every day, it isn’t even a question in my mind.

Yeah. We shoot prone as much, if not more, than anyone. USGI/NHMTG 20s are the answer. Old, straight 20 rnd pmags occasionally pop up too.

usmcvet
07-25-18, 14:02

In agree. I got yelled at at qualifications once for using a 20. The Range Master said it wasn’t issue and I should not be using it. It helped me get lower and tighter in my shooting position. He said later he’d be willing to share a fighting hole with me. I carried an old straight 20 in my blouse pocket while deployed. Never used it. It was the back up to a dozen 30’s. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickgman
07-27-18, 02:07
In CMP or NRA service rifle competition, contacting the the deck with a magazine is prohibited. In competition, I have only used USGI aluminum magazines.

07-27-18, 10:14
I can monopod on a magazine almost as well as using a bipod.

I like Pmag Gen M3 30s, 40s in grass. ;)

Pappabear
07-27-18, 12:54
I bought a nice collection of Colt 20 rounders. Got some BCM 20's too. The Pmags have worked well too. But 20 is our goto.

PB

rickgman
07-27-18, 13:20
Pappabear, I gave Magpul mags a try and ended up going back to USGI 20 rd mags for prone shooting. The Magpul magazines are very reliable and seem to be easier to grasp. However, I don't think that they work as well in the prone position. In the rapid fire prone position the shooter must tilt the weapon in order to insert a fresh magazine. That means that one can't instinctively align the magazine with the magazine well in that position. I found that the slick sides on the USGI magazines insert easier than the ribs on the Magpul magazines. I don't like to fumble this evolution so I go with the magazines that insert best.

Pappabear
07-27-18, 20:30
Pappabear, I gave Magpul mags a try and ended up going back to USGI 20 rd mags for prone shooting. The Magpul magazines are very reliable and seem to be easier to grasp. However, I don't think that they work as well in the prone position. In the rapid fire prone position the shooter must tilt the weapon in order to insert a fresh magazine. That means that one can't instinctively align the magazine with the magazine well in that position. I found that the slick sides on the USGI magazines insert easier than the ribs on the Magpul magazines. I don't like to fumble this evolution so I go with the magazines that insert best.

I agree 100%. I much much prefer SR25 mags on LMT MWS and notice how much easier they are to use.

PB

Dr. Bullseye
07-29-18, 18:02
I went over to a guy's house who had a pre-ban 30 rounder with a Ranger Plate. I laid down on the living room floor with his AR and mag and it was absolutely no problemo. The mag was functioning like a monopod and it was not even dug into a bit of earth. No shooting but it apparently works.

voiceofreason
07-29-18, 19:37
I like straight 20s for shooting from prone with a bipod, don't own any 10

I also prefer them when carried on a belt. 30rd are too big and heavy on a belt for me, they go on a PC

gunnerblue
07-29-18, 19:40
30-rd AR15 mags get in my way when shooting prone off of a bipod. I use 20-rd PMAGS or USGI. Using a 30-rounder as a monopod for 3-Gun type shooting (I.e. less precise/closer range) is another story.

25-rd PMAGS are less problematic with my Colt LE-901, but, again, I prefer 20-rd mags when shooting prone.

titsonritz
07-29-18, 22:39
GI 20 rounders are some of my favorite mags in general and shooting prone is no exception.

fastreb
07-30-18, 10:26
Back before I retired, my unit got tapped to go to Afghanistan. Then, I got tapped to go to the Designated Marksman course. Two weeks of shooting with almost all of it being in the prone position. Regulation M4s with standard M855 ammo and issue mags. The first week was with irons, the second with an ACOG. Distance was 600m and in. At no time did anyone have any problems with jams because the mags were in contact with the ground, nor were there any problems with the ability to acquire the target. The added addition of that extra point of contact helped to steady the rifle and our aim. Now, if the mags had been real worn, who knows what the outcome would have been.

rickgman
07-30-18, 10:38
The old" conventional wisdom" that contacting the ground with the magazine can lead to issues dates back to the M14. The M14 magazine "rocks" into place and recoil (which is definitely greater with the M14) pulls on the magazine latch mechanism. That is not the case with M16's or M4's. "Grounding" the magazine in the prone position definitely adds stability. For that reason, it is not allowed in CMP or NRA service rifle competition. Using a heavy shooting jacket adds stability in the offhand position but they are allowed. Don't ask me why one is allowed and the other is not.

07-30-18, 11:08
30-round mags. They help you prop the rifle up better.

ChoppinFatTony
07-30-18, 13:30
Amen
Does it really matter how it shoots when prone? If I could suddenly buy standard capacity mags I’d buy a bunch of 20s and 30s regardless.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Dionysusigma
07-30-18, 20:59
Had a bipod and 20rd NHMTGs until an instructor suggested I try one of my PMag 30s and no bipod, and did just as well as before. Ditched the bipod and lightened the rifle, and gained ten rounds in the process. :)

Dr. Bullseye
07-31-18, 11:42
Had a bipod and 20rd NHMTGs until an instructor suggested I try one of my PMag 30s and no bipod, and did just as well as before. Ditched the bipod and lightened the rifle, and gained ten rounds in the process. :)

This is exactly what I am thinking now. Even in California a 10/30 mag is legal (30 round sized blocked to only accept ten rounds). No other support would be necessary.

kirkland
07-31-18, 20:03
I like the 20 rd pmags

Eurodriver
08-04-18, 07:52
I know that using the magazine is a common way to get support but I’ve found I get better follow up times when shooting as low to the ground as possible with my elbows spread wide. This position doesn’t let me use a 30rd magazine, and I have the wing span of an ostrich (honestly).

It should come as no surprise, either. Having a wider, lower shooting position is going to be inherently more stable than one propped up higher (even with that third contact point) . Id be curious to see comparisons first round time on target scores as well as split times for a bunch of people using both methods. If there was a concensus it would allow us to answer threads like these with some knowledge instead of arguing with each other.

rickgman
08-04-18, 09:35
I know that using the magazine is a common way to get support but I’ve found I get better follow up times when shooting as low to the ground as possible with my elbows spread wide. This position doesn’t let me use a 30rd magazine, and I have the wing span of an ostrich (honestly).

It should come as no surprise, either. Having a wider, lower shooting position is going to be inherently more stable than one propped up higher (even with that third contact point) . Id be curious to see comparisons first round time on target scores as well as split times for a bunch of people using both methods. If there was a concensus it would allow us to answer threads like these with some knowledge instead of arguing with each other.

There is considerable differences of opinion on the bast prone position. Some like the "leg hiked up" position because it allows the shooter to breath without seriously affecting the sight picture. Some like a lower position with legs straight back and ankles of the ground because it is more stable (lower center of gravity and wider base). The majority of people, however believe that ones support arm should be as close being directly under the weapon forearm as possible to achieve the best and most stable support. Also, if one is shooting a cal .30 rifle and they don't get their support arm tucked in tight, they most often have their support arm elbow slip outboard in rapid fire and their shots will string toward the support side. I personally like to also put my shooting arm in fairly close to my body in order to ensure that I pull the trigger directly rearward. As one's wrist bends, it becomes more difficult to ensure a rearward trigger pull. Just my two cents worth.