PDA

View Full Version : Explain TS Clearances in regards to Brennan and ex-gov people

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-18, 12:11
I've seen before about people getting and keeping TS clearances, but it was always in regards to some current gov position or contract work. How do ex-gov guys like Brennan, Clapper and Comey keep their clearances- or more specifically, what do they have access? Or is it that they have the clearances, but not access to anything- like it a library card that they could use if tied to a purpose or contract?

It seems that clearances allow access in general to things? Or is it that these guys get a part time gig with some think-tank or contractor and access to 'stuff'? And what 'stuff'?

austinN4
07-24-18, 12:36
I've seen before about people getting and keeping TS clearances, but it was always in regards to some current gov position or contract work. How do ex-gov guys like Brennan, Clapper and Comey keep their clearances- or more specifically, what do they have access? Or is it that they have the clearances, but not access to anything- like it a library card that they could use if tied to a purpose or contract?

It seems that clearances allow access in general to things? Or is it that these guys get a part time gig with some think-tank or contractor and access to 'stuff'? And what 'stuff'?
All very good questions and I am looking forward to the answers from those that know.

militarymoron
07-24-18, 12:46
You can hold a TS clearance even if you're not currently working on a project. Like, if you're between jobs, it isn't 'revoked' when you switch companies. As long as there's need for you to hold a clearance, it can be renewed/maintained. You also don't have to be a gov employee to have a clearance - like civilians that work for defense contractors who hold clearances.
TS is just one sort of clearance; there are others (like SCI), and most are based on a 'need to know'. Having a clearance doesn't give you free access to everything that falls under that classification. There must be a need for you to know, to be granted access. You can find this information on wikipedia.

ggammell
07-24-18, 13:41
Clearance + Need to Know gives access.

These former top level guys stay cleared for a while because they may be consulted by new admin on what the old admin had done to give perspective, etc. They aren’t making decisions or anything. But they need to stay cleared in order to have those discussions with the new people.

Renegade
07-24-18, 13:58

It is a perk of being a high-level exec. They are allowed to keep their clearance and access. They generally lose access to most SAP's. They are given regular intel briefings as requested.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-18, 14:12
It is a perk of being a high-level exec. They are allowed to keep their clearance and access. They generally lose access to most SAP's. They are given regular intel briefings as requested.

What would the intel briefs entail? I get it, makes sense- but it kind of takes on another level when you look at the dirty tricks and inside baseball stuff that goes on.

Renegade
07-24-18, 14:17
What would the intel briefs entail? I get it, makes sense- but it kind of takes on another level when you look at the dirty tricks and inside baseball stuff that goes on.

An overview of world events. For example, they would have been privvy to the Images of the NORKS deconstructing their Nuke site which went public yesterday or today.

HardToHandle
07-25-18, 20:27
The Sandy Berger case is a great example... and a pretty queer situation.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/08/berger.sentenced/

Averageman
08-03-18, 08:41
The more I watch and read the more I believe this is to support claims to support another hacked election.
Anything to delay, divert attention and obscure the truth.
Clapper and Brennan can't be trusted to be truthful or unbiased.

sidewaysil80
08-03-18, 08:49
Pretty much has already been said but they keep it to consult or weigh in on situations that they may have some insight or experience in. Even though new folks are now in their position or office, they can be briefed on current situations and advise. You certainly don't have access unless you have a need to know. Just because you have a TS/SCI doesn't mean you can go into any area or start reading any classified documents for funsies.

Averageman
08-03-18, 11:44
Pretty much has already been said but they keep it to consult or weigh in on situations that they may have some insight or experience in. Even though new folks are now in their position or office, they can be briefed on current situations and advise. You certainly don't have access unless you have a need to know. Just because you have a TS/SCI doesn't mean you can go into any area or start reading any classified documents for funsies.

I see your point, but as an example how does someone like Mueller get selected for that job if he hasn't retained his Clearance?
These guys don't want to give them up, it legitimizes them on some level and keeps them employed and in the game. Say two weeks after the election the Left proclaims that it has happened again? Who would get selected and would there now be demands that Brennan or Clapper be in on the investigation because they can't trust Sessions to select an unbiased Investigator?

Little gems like this keep popping up;
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/election-security-gop-russia_us_5b61d558e4b0fd5c73d57411
The ongoing threat to voting systems and the U.S. election infrastructure became even more apparent this week after it was revealed that two senators had already been targeted with hacking attempts: Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who is running for re-election this year, and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), who is an outspoken critic of the Kremlin.

Democrats said that because of the ongoing threats, more funding is needed to harden election security.

“Clearly the threat is larger and we should be taking a lot more efforts to secure the ballot,” Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), a potential 2020 presidential candidate, told HuffPost. “We have a real ongoing threat by a foreign power that’s trying to undermine the security of our elections.”

Looks suspicious to me.

sidewaysil80
08-03-18, 14:05
I see your point, but as an example how does someone like Mueller get selected for that job if he hasn't retained his Clearance?
Assuming their clearance didn't stay active when they left their position, it's not hard to reinvestigate the lapsed time and reissue. It would not take very long and you never lose a clearance per say. Unless it's revoked because you are a risk or other factors occur (ie. criminal stuff, lots of debt, etc.) you are eligible to have your clearance again. Prime example: One of my buddies left our department to get into local pd and relocate, ultimately some family issues arose and about a year and a half later he is in the process of coming back to the fed's. His clearance wasn't active while he was gone but he'll be read in (clearance turned on) once he does his poly and they finish the background for the time he was gone. Which btw doesn't take very long at all.

These guys don't want to give them up, it legitimizes them on some level and keeps them employed and in the game.
I think you think a clearance does more than it does. Even if there clearance was deactivated upon retirement, they can be turned back on for employment damn near instantly.

All a clearance means is that .gov did a very thorough background check on you (sending investigators to interview family, friends, previous jobs, schools, etc.) maybe had you take a poly (depending on level), and disclose all of your financial standing/records. Once they determine you are clean, you get your clearance and you can perform work without fear of being a spy or being vulnerable to bad actor recruitment (ie. so debt ridden you may take money from bad hombres to disclose stuff). With a clearance you only have access to stuff within your assigned work role and projects.

Averageman
08-03-18, 14:43
I'm tracking, but let me ask you
"Why after lying to a Congressional investigation shouldn't it be revoked?"
Clapper and Brennan have been openly opposed to this Administration and have displayed some questionable bordering on ileagle behaviour.
Of course we have two former Attorney Generals who've had similar shade thrown on their reputations.
Essentially if you don't do this and do it for cause, one of the four of these guys is likely to serve in some capacity again.

I believe a clearance can be pulled for simply having a preponderance of evidence make you appear guilty, you don't need a trial or a conviction.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-03-18, 15:00
It would be interesting to do a BG on me. My grade school and HS don't exist anymore. I guess most people when they get BG'd are younger.

How do you BG someone that will be on the 'dark' side of things? Wouldn't doing a BG and asking all kinds of people questions, especially in these days of global comms create a 'tell'?

Averageman
08-03-18, 15:54
Well at the beginning of the Cold War they didn't hesitate to remove Oppenheimer's security clearance for things dating back to the 1930's.
I'm not seeing an issue with removing a few today.

militarymoron
08-03-18, 17:22
How do you BG someone that will be on the 'dark' side of things? Wouldn't doing a BG and asking all kinds of people questions, especially in these days of global comms create a 'tell'?

Yes, ironically. Typically you'll just give the neighbors or people you've named as references a courtesy 'heads up' and just say it's for a routine background check for work, and you're not in trouble etc. So unfortunately, anyone who is familiar with the process that had no idea what line of work you're in, may now get an idea.

sidewaysil80
08-03-18, 18:53
I'm tracking, but let me ask you
"Why after lying to a Congressional investigation shouldn't it be revoked?"

Never said it shouldn't be. Just explaining the facts of how clearances work.

I believe a clearance can be pulled for simply having a preponderance of evidence make you appear guilty, you don't need a trial or a conviction.
This is open source and OPM is the agency that handles clearances. Each agency/department has internal folks who deal with this sort of thing but OPM is the overseer/authority on this. This should answer some of your questions better than I.
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/employee-relations/training/presentationsuitabilitysecurity.pdf