PDA

View Full Version : Potentially Dumb Vltor A5 Question (or I知 a genius)

sidewaysil80
07-24-18, 19:37
I’m about to finish a new lower build for a 16” mid-length upper. This lower has the Vltor A5 receiver extension but the A5H2 buffer (which I use for mid-length 16” guns) is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I have been on the “notify list” for several retailers for about a month and a half with no avail.

The weight for the A5H2 buffer is 5.3oz. The weight for a standard/carbine H3 buffer is 5.4oz. Can I run a standard buffer with the A5 buffer tube and rifle spring? Since the weights are the same I can’t see what difference the physical buffer would have on the system. Unless it’s physically preventing the BCG from travelling too far back.

Those smarter than me feel free to chime in!

RobertTheTexan
07-24-18, 19:42
Not sure if this answers your question or not - but you are not a genius and that is not a good idea.

I致e made my own HX buffers by using weights from other buffers.

Do not use a carbine buffer in an A5 tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunnerblue
07-24-18, 19:55
Try Heavybuffers.com, he makes A5-length buffers. I’ve only used 308 buffers from him, but they’ve been of excellent quality. Quick to answer questions, too.

Amicus
07-24-18, 20:05
Try Heavybuffers.com, he makes A5-length buffers. I’ve only used 308 buffers from him, but they’ve been of excellent quality. Quick to answer questions, too.

I have used his A5 H3 buffers and am very satisfied.

Rayrevolver
07-24-18, 20:08
I have a A5H2 I can sell you that looks unfired. Its an original marked only as A5. I just weighed it on a postal scale at 5.4 oz.

Send me an IM if you want it.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/836/42904954204_cf93fa3f38_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28nn76J)

EDIT: I may have some tungsten weights as well. You can make up to an A5H3 by adding 1 more weight. If you change all the weights to tungsten you will have an A5H4 WITHOUT the biasing spring inside. Not sure that makes a difference in semi-auto shooting.

Clint
07-24-18, 20:39
The buffer functions as the bump stop and does limit the recoil travel.

A carbine buffer can be used, but only in conjunction with a spacer.

Failure to get this right will result in damage.

Todd.K
07-24-18, 21:45
Unless it’s physically preventing the BCG from travelling too far
It does. Don't use a carbine buffer in an A5 RE.

hk_shootr
07-24-18, 21:47
I’m about to finish a new lower build for a 16” mid-length upper. This lower has the Vltor A5 receiver extension but the A5H2 buffer (which I use for mid-length 16” guns) is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I have been on the “notify list” for several retailers for about a month and a half with no avail.

The weight for the A5H2 buffer is 5.3oz. The weight for a standard/carbine H3 buffer is 5.4oz. Can I run a standard buffer with the A5 buffer tube and rifle spring? Since the weights are the same I can’t see what difference the physical buffer would have on the system. Unless it’s physically preventing the BCG from travelling too far back.

Those smarter than me feel free to chime in!

An A5 buffer and a standard carbine buffer are different lengths. They AREN’T interchangeable, doing so will damage the gun.

07-24-18, 21:52
This place shows it in stock with a spring, castle nut, and end plate.

http://molonlabeindustries.com/products/vltor-a5-spring-and-buffer-kit.html

Iraqgunz
07-24-18, 22:18
Notes:

The A5 Receiver Extension Buffer Tube is just One Piece of the proprietary Vltor A5 Recoil System and MUST ONLY be used with a Vltor A5 Buffer and a Standard Rifle Length Buffer Spring. Attempting to use this A5 Buffer Tube with an AR-15 Carbine Length Buffer Spring and/or Any Other Type of Recoil Buffer (either carbine or rifle size) Will Result in Damage to the host firearm.

sidewaysil80
07-24-18, 22:58
Thanks for the insight/facts gentlemen! This case is closed.

titsonritz
07-24-18, 23:53
From the Vltor FAQ.

1. Can I use a carbine spring and buffer kit with the RE-A5?

You cannot. The use of a carbine spring and buffer with the RE-A5 receiver extension could result in damage to your firearm. The RE-A5 receiver extension is designed to only work with other VLTOR A5 components which can be purchased separately.

2. What stock can I use with this receiver extension?

The outside diameter of the Vltor RE-A5 receiver extension tube is made to mil-spec dimensions, so it will accept most mil-spec AR15/M4 stocks. This receiver extension will NOT work with commercial dimension stocks. Because the Vltor A5 receiver extension tubes are longer than standard AR15/M4 mil-spec receiver extensions, compact closed-back stocks like the Vltor Imod will NOT close all the way down to position #1 on the RE-A5. Larger stocks, like the Vltor Emod, WILL close all the way down to position #1. If you are planning to utilize a compact stock, you may want to consider purchasing the RE-10/A5SR 6-position A5 receiver extension. Compact stocks WILL fully index into position #1 on the RE-10/A5SR. Both of the Vltor A5 receiver extensions (RE-A5 and RE-10/A5SR) are the same length and serve the exact same purpose, the only difference is in the number of stock positions, and the placement of those stock positioning notches in the bottom indexing rail. If you need any additional information, please email TechSupport@Vltor.com

3. What if I need a heavier or lighter buffer for my weapon?

The A5 kit was specifically developed to use different weight buffers depending on your need. There are 5 different weights to allow you to fine tune your weapon. The weights are: 3.8oz, 4.56oz, 5.3oz, 6.08oz, and 6.83oz. The A5 combo kit comes with the A5H2 buffer. While we sell different buffer weights, the A5 combo kit is only sent with the A5H2 buffer and we do not offer substitutions. You can purchase the different pieces to the A5 kit from our webstore.

4. What is the overall length of the RE-A5?

Overall physical length is 7 15/16″

mack7.62
07-25-18, 07:36
Don't know why they don't spell this out, over travel of the bolt carrier results in the gas key striking the rear of the receiver/buffer tube, a proper length buffer acts as a stop to prevent this from happening.