PDA

View Full Version : What color loctite for Glock front sight

MWAG19919
07-25-18, 20:09
Today at the range I noticed my G19 front sight coming loose. It's a Trijicon HD that I installed ~4.5 years ago. To be honest I can't recall if I put Loctite on the threads, let alone what color Loctite. The pistol has been fired 6k-7k rounds since sight installation, including a 2 day 800 round class, so I'm a bit puzzled that they came loose 60 rounds into a range session.

I got the gun fairly warm today doing double & triple taps. Certainly not full mag dumps.

I'm going to clean the threads really well tonight and apply thread locker, but I'm not sure what color. I'm thinking red. Anyone have advice?

Chameleox
07-25-18, 20:21
I put blue on mine 4 years ago, with no issues.

SomeOtherGuy
07-25-18, 21:28
I have a similar issue with my own G19 and a Truglo TFO front sight. I used Vibratite VC-3 when I installed it 6.5 years ago and it just came loose. I guess I will try Loctite this time.

signal4l
07-25-18, 22:10
I use red. Hold a lighter on the screw for a few seconds if you want to remove sight

donlapalma
07-25-18, 23:15
Blue. No issues on 3 glocks. Thousands of rounds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
07-25-18, 23:30
Red is what I use.

1oldgrunt
07-26-18, 06:04
red is "permanent" meaning you will have to heat above 650 degrees to remove

use blue it is semi-permanent and doers not require heat to remove

teksid
07-26-18, 06:30
I always use Red. I use a heat gun to remove.

ggammell
07-26-18, 07:51
Blue keeps it in but is no sweat to remove with the front sight tool.

MWAG19919
07-26-18, 08:06
I ended up using a big drop of blue, but I'll keep an eye on it. If it somehow loosens again I'll hit it with red

SiGfever
07-26-18, 16:40
Blue 242.

Ron3
07-26-18, 16:51
Clean all surfaces well with alcohol.
Red loctite.
No problems.
I've removed them, too. Heat.

Hemoglobin
07-26-18, 19:22
Switched to vibratite 111.Never had an issue. I use VC-3 on larger fasteners.

PatrioticDisorder
07-26-18, 20:31
I use blue.

hile
07-26-18, 21:01
Blue. That's also what Dawson ships along with his sights, IIRC.

RHINOWSO
07-27-18, 15:48
I’ve used blue with no issue in a couple of years.

BWT
07-27-18, 18:15
Tried blue - sight worked loose and switched to red ever since.

No problems since.

Also, removable with a lighter.

God Bless,

Brandon

hotrodder636
07-27-18, 20:18
I am kinda surprised the blue is not adequte. I have two different grades of blue; standard and a nuclear grade. I wonder if the nuclear grade bonds to the metal Glock uses better. Will try on my G34/5.

hk_shootr
07-27-18, 20:30
I always use Red. I use a heat gun to remove.

This....

Rattlehead
07-27-18, 20:56
We use red on plain black sights, and blue on tritium and fiber (in case you need to heat them up).

HD1911
07-28-18, 08:52
Blue has always been solid for me. I make sure and de-grease the threads of the screw and the sight body threads first, tho. Also the loctite works as a bonding agent between the slide mating surface and the sight body, if you use it liberally enough. It actually takes a little effort to knock the front sight out, after the screw is already removed.

seb5
07-28-18, 10:32
Blue has always been solid for me. I make sure and de-grease the threads of the screw and the sight body threads first, tho. Also the loctite works as a bonding agent between the slide mating surface and the sight body, if you use it liberally enough. It actually takes a little effort to knock the front sight out, after the screw is already removed.

This...........I've probably used the above method on @50 sets, had one come loose in the last 15-20 years.

L-2
07-28-18, 18:30
I've used blue or red. I sometimes change my sights to different ones on my Glocks and blue is probably better for me.

Thanks to those with the Vibra-Tite recommendation, though, and I've just ordered some for some other firearms-related-issues (S&W revolver side-plate screws).

MStarmer
07-29-18, 04:22
Red high strength. It's a tiny screw, it doesn't take 650 degrees to remove. I've put probably close to 75 sets on and never have had a problem with them coming loose or removing them. I clean the screw, the slide and the inside threads with isopropyl alcohol several times. I also basically glue the blade to the slide and the screw and threads.

Dawson actually suggests red 262, I use 271 but they're pretty close. https://dawsonprecision.com/loctite-adhesive/

I put enough on the bottom of the sight to ensure a "wet edge" all the way around the blade and clean with a dry q-tip or rag and check for straight. I use no solvent around it wet. I place it level and let it cure overnight.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/933/28817429157_34e00908b1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KUuRGR)fullsizeoutput_19a (https://flic.kr/p/KUuRGR) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

sundance435
07-30-18, 11:30
I've used both and never had a problem with blue 242 coming loose, but I used red 262 on the last one for added measure. Using alcohol on the slide and screw is good prep, but I doubt I've been that thorough on all of mine and I still haven't had one secured with 242 come loose. The last set I installed was the Ameriglo "FBI contract" and the screw it came with was considerably shorter than the one on the factory GNS, so I used the longer screw, too.

ucrt
07-30-18, 19:34
I use red. Wipe threads off with 91% alcohol and nut with an alcohol saturated pipe cleaner. I put way more red than I need to fill any gaps.
I use an electric soldering iron on the screw/nut to loosen it.

tonyxcom
07-30-18, 22:24
I use the Blue Paste (https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-506166-Medium-Strength-Threadlocker/dp/B0053ZNMDE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533007292&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=loctite+blue+paste), like mortar on the post before putting it in hole then the same blue paste on the threads of screw. Use a q-tip to wipe away what oozes out.

The Blue paste dries to fill in the gaps between post and hole and they have never worked loose. If I remove the screw I need to tap the sights out of the slide with a punch, they are in there so good.

https://i.imgur.com/uDDVaJy.png

AFshirt
07-31-18, 01:49
From Joe Evans instructing the Glock armorers school. Small drop of blue on the side of the threads

Airhasz
07-31-18, 05:59
I must be the only one who didn’t use thread locker on several of my front night sights.
All have remained fastened but this thread has me leaning toward reinstalling them with locker.:blink:

HD1911
07-31-18, 07:38
I must be the only one who didn’t use thread locker on several of my front night sights.
All have remained fastened but this thread has me leaning toward reinstalling them with locker.:blink:

I've legit had them come loose when not having applied thread locker compound, just FYI.

SPDGG
07-31-18, 07:53
I use Red, never an issue with the front sight coming loose or taking off a sight.

ST911
07-31-18, 08:42
242 (blue) here.

I've reinstalled one or more front sights at nearly every class I've been to for many years.

MStarmer
07-31-18, 09:00
Usually more important that the type or color of loctite is prep. I come from an Aerospace background so I solvent clean and apply adhesives they way we did at Boeing. It may be overkill by I've never had one come loose, nor have I had a difficult getting one off (unless someone had it cross threaded). Plus as stated I glue the blade to the slide in addition to the threads and screw, basically trying to make the sight become a part of the slide and transfer the load.

I've had a lot of people bring me Glocks at work where the front is loose, it's clear there was no cleaning and just a dot on the screw, if that.

My cleaning process is to used a alcohol soaked q-tip followed by a dry one on each of the surfaces of the slide, the screw and even inside the front sight threads. It's important to follow up with the dry one immediately to pick up and debris that's "floating" in the solvent before it dries. This keeps it from just settling back on the surface you are trying to clean.

556BlackRifle
07-31-18, 13:30
If you properly clean and apply the product as per instructions, Blue 242 works great. I've been using it for years and never had a sight come loose.

07-31-18, 20:50
Red Loctite has worked well for me. No problems after a couple years and many rounds.

Edit: Make sure your degrease the area with alcohol first.

EzGoingKev
08-04-18, 13:24
I like to use the low strength pink. I make sure the threads are clean. I have yet to have on come loose.

I have used blue in a pinch also.

MWAG19919
08-04-18, 13:27
Usually more important that the type or color of loctite is prep. I come from an Aerospace background so I solvent clean and apply adhesives they way we did at Boeing. It may be overkill by I've never had one come loose, nor have I had a difficult getting one off (unless someone had it cross threaded). Plus as stated I glue the blade to the slide in addition to the threads and screw, basically trying to make the sight become a part of the slide and transfer the load.

I've had a lot of people bring me Glocks at work where the front is loose, it's clear there was no cleaning and just a dot on the screw, if that.

My cleaning process is to used a alcohol soaked q-tip followed by a dry one on each of the surfaces of the slide, the screw and even inside the front sight threads. It's important to follow up with the dry one immediately to pick up and debris that's "floating" in the solvent before it dries. This keeps it from just settling back on the surface you are trying to clean.

Exactly what I did this time around