PDA

View Full Version : 2 (or 3) suppressors to rule them all??

RIDE
07-26-18, 07:18
I’m done putting this off. In your opinion, what would be the best choice of suppressors to run on the following?
I’d like to get 2 suppressors, but if a 3rd would be far more ideal, I’m
Definitely open to 3.

Currently looking at the chimera and the Optimus, but it’s been so long since I’ve looked at what’s available/on the near horizon, I could be way off base.

Glock 19’s and M9’s
10.5” 5.56 SBR’s
16” 5.56
24” 6.5 creedmoor
.257 weatherby mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Rat
07-26-18, 07:23
Don't forget a dedicated .22LR can. As much as I love my full size rifle/pistol cans, it's the .22 cans that see the most practical use - pest control and training new shooters without having to worry about them developing a flinch from the blast noise.

Furbyballer
07-26-18, 07:44
Dead air odessa 9, the new skinny modular can. Surefure 556 rc2 mini, and dead air sandman s for 30 cal use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mig1nc
07-26-18, 08:49
The Optimus Micro could be used for your 16" 5.56 as well as any .22lr.

Not good for your 10.5 though. So you could get a Griffin Recce-7 to cover your 10.5 and any .30 caliber needs. Plus you can share taper mounts with the Optimus.

Then pick the pistol can of your choice. Eccentric instead of concentric cans allow you to skip the need for suppressor height sights.

There you go, three cans including rimfire plus you could have two suppressed 5.56 guns at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ndmiller
07-26-18, 16:59
22 Can of Choice, Q Element maybe
Sig SRD45 up to .45 Pistol
Sig SR762TI or QD version for .223 up to 300 Win Mag

RHINOWSO
07-26-18, 19:45
Many options.

If you can do 4 cans, it should be 1 rimfire, 2 centerfire rifle (1 full size 762, 1 for an SBR 556), and 1 45ACP Suppressor.

ndmiller
07-26-18, 21:57
Many options.

If you can do 4 cans, it should be 1 rimfire, 2 centerfire rifle (1 full size 762, 1 for an SBR 556), and 1 45ACP Suppressor.

He's right, even if you have to add a little debt. You'll wait just about a year for the stamps, so see if you can find a local shop/range that will let you shoot them while you wait. Won't get to take them home, but it make the wait pretty easy.

MegademiC
07-26-18, 22:20
I really like the griffin rev9. Best balance of size and sound ive seen posted, great on 22, comes apart for deep cleaning, etc. 45 cans on 9 are loud IME although limited (not sure what cans they were.)

Id get a 9 silencer (since you only have 9mm), a 556 mini, and a 308.

Edit- itbdepends on what you want. A mini wont be quiet in the 10.5 but will knock the concussion down. Dont know how 308 silencers work on short 556, but the mini on a 16” makes a lot of sense... again depending in your use. If your 16” is a bench/range gun, maybe skip the mini.

Omega9k and some newer 9 designs look good too. The gen3 rev9 can handle 556 for a few shots at a time, though I doubt its “quiet”.

TMS951
07-27-18, 11:53
So I just did this, waiting on stamps now. But I bought 6 cans.

6 is unnecessary, its "all I thought I'd ever need". I could easy cut it to 4, maybe even 3.

I went with-
Q- El camino 22lr. Seemed like a quiet and tough can. Simple too.
AAC- Ti-Rant 9m
AAC- Ti-Rant 45m
Surefire 556 Socom RC2
Q- Trash panda
AAC- 762-SDN-6

The Q .22lr can stays, you need a .22lr can.

The two AAC pistol cans are very similar, other than caliber. I went with both because I wanted very quiet 9mm suppressed shooting. Using the 45 can on 9mm would not be as quiet as the 9mm can. I have a HK Mark23 and and wanted a 45 can for it. I won't shoot any other 45 guns suppressed, I just don't have or want other hosts, at heart i'm a 9mm man. I likely would have gone with only a 9mm can if not for the Mark23. If you want versatility for more calibers go 45 only. I don't see you have 45 guns listed.

Surefire 5.56 RC2. I wanted a very good durable dedicated 5.56 suppressor. I knew this was what I wanted. You can get away with just a 7.62 can.

Q Trash panda and AAC 762-sdn-6 are very similar cans. Both 7.62 with a emphasis on 300blk. Both designed by the same person, the trash panda is very new, the AAC is an older model. Difference is in construction. The Trash panda is lighter and shorter while fatter. The 762-SDN-6 should be more durable. They are different designs. I wanted them both to contrast the two. If only getting one it would be the AAC for that durability, one is titanium (q) the other is inconel(aac). The mounts are very different too, the AAC mount has its faults, the Q mount seems to be not that 'qd' but the suppressor does separate from the muzzle device. Q has one muzzle device, the AAC has many many different one to choose from.

So you end up with
Q- El Camino .22lr
AAC Ti-Rant 45m
AAC 762-sdn-6 for all centerfire rifle cartridges.

If I was getting a fourth can i'd put the surefire on the list.

This set up will give you the most versatility, but not the quietest shooting on undersized calibers like 9mm in the 45 can or 5.56 in the 7.62 can. Thats why I got 6 cans. Initially I was only going to get 1 7.62 can but at the end decided I wanted both.

Pappabear
07-27-18, 13:18
Glock 19’s and M9’s- I just bought the two piece AAC Ti Rant

10.5” 5.56 SBR’s, any full sized 556 can of your choice, not a mini
16” 5.56

24” 6.5 creedmoor One 30 cal can of your choice to handle these three.
.257 weatherby mag

So many great options in cans, just dont do the , Ill buy a 30 cal can for my 556 and 6.5 and 7.72 and red Ryder and....and save money NOPE. Since you can afford three, get three

PB

RIDE
07-27-18, 14:37
Great info here! Thank you all!

Thoughts on this?

DeadAir Odessa 9.
-for use on my Glock 19’s without a need to get suppressor sights, it’s modularity would allow me to us it on .22 (not all that interested in .22 though).

Griffin Optimus (full size).
-for my full length and SBR AR’s. Could use this to run a 2nd 9mm canned or a 2nd 7.62 Canned. Mostly just 5.56 SBR’s though.

Griffin Reece 7.
-for 7.62, 6.5cr, and .257wby (doubtful/rarely)

Thoughts? Advice from here?
Haven’t finalized the decision.

nate89
07-27-18, 14:50
I agree with many comments on here. I would look at a dedicated .22 rimfire can, a pistol can, and 1-2 rifle cans. I personally like the idea of the rifle cans using the same QD system (if you choose to go that way). I have a sandman-s and a sandman-k. Honestly the K gets more use as I am using hearing protection when I shoot anyway, and the K is much handier, and does a good job taking the edge off of a 5.56 gun. If you can swing two rifle cans (and who says you have to get them all right now, you can get one now and save up again), I would do something like a Sandman-K and Sandman-L, the 300SPS and Socom 556 mini, or something along those lines. Honestly suppressors for me have ended up like rifles; you end up slowly purchasing more for more niche uses. I got the Omega 9k, and it lives on my 7.5" blackout rifle. Not really a suppressor I would recommend to someone as a general purpose can, but it is short and light and does the job I wanted for that rifle perfectly.

MegademiC
07-27-18, 20:17
Why the push for .22 cans. Are they that much quieter than a 9mm can with 22 endcap? Is it the size weight?

ndmiller
07-27-18, 21:02
Why the push for .22 cans. Are they that much quieter than a 9mm can with 22 endcap? Is it the size weight?

The lead buildup from shooting rimfire requires additional maintenance, so it's a good idea to keep .22's in .22 cans. Some cans cannot be taken apart and cleaned.

The Rat
07-29-18, 22:19
A dedicated .22 can is also going to be much lighter and smaller than a 9mm can.

07-30-18, 11:22
Delta P and Crux are hard to beat in the weight and size category. Delta P uses a special process to 3d print theirs, and they plate the blast baffle with an Inconel alloy. Lightest I've seen on the market, but pricy. Crux' prices are a little more reasonably prices. All welded titanium, taper direct thread mount. Just make sure whatever you get is direct thread, QD mounts aren't for precision rifles.

Pappabear
07-30-18, 13:05
I run 10 + QD RIFLE cans and one direct thread. And have shot more .25 inch groups than I can remember. Two yesterday. In my experience the QD have NOT adversely effected accuracy. YMMV

RIDE
07-30-18, 22:18
What are everyone’s thoughts on this..

After looking into a ton of cans and brands, I really like what Dead Air is doing. Their QD mount gets nothing but rave reviews, which I like since I’ll have a lot more rifles than cans (I can hope the cans aren’t as addictive as rifles have been!!).

I’m now a bit less interested in a can for my Glock’s. While they certainly seem fun because the db’s are soooo low, I just don’t see myself shooting suppressed handguns much. When I shoot my Glock’s, I’m trying to get better/training for worst case home/personal defense scenario’s, which realistically isn’t going to include having a can on.

That said, my SBR’s absolutely would have a can on them for HD, and, well, I just love shooting them. ;)

I also love shooting the 6.5cr. 1,000 yd shots are so fun, suppressed, and reloading for suppressed is going to be even more fun.

So. 5.56 SBR’s, 5.56 16”, and the 6.5cr are really what I’m after now.

Thoughts on buying (2) Sandman S cans?
Multiple mounts, would allow super quick ability to go from 2 suppressed SBR’s to 1 SBR, 1 16”, or SBR and 6.5cr, or if I get that elusive Scar 17, I could go 6.5cr and Scar 17.
Lol. Sorry so much.

My thought is I’m super confident that the Sandman S will be fantastic for the AR’s, and that I wouldn’t be upset using them only on AR’s if I ever decided I needed a purely dedicated can for only the 6.5cr.

Thoughts?

(Thanks for working through this with me!!)

nate89
07-30-18, 22:32
Like I mentioned before, I have a sandman s and k. I would personally not buy 2 of the S model. They are seriously tanks and will take many, many rounds with no degredation of performance. I would suggest getting the K instead of the second S. With the price they are at you can't beat them, and the weight and length added has a minimal impact on handiness. No matter what, I am confident you will be happy with an S.

RIDE
07-30-18, 22:38
Like I mentioned before, I have a sandman s and k. I would personally not buy 2 of the S model. They are seriously tanks and will take many, many rounds with no degredation of performance. I would suggest getting the K instead of the second S. With the price they are at you can't beat them, and the weight and length added has a minimal impact on handiness. No matter what, I am confident you will be happy with an S.

Good point Nate. I was just looking at the L as well. Thoughts on the L ?

How does the K compare to the S in regards to sound suppression. The S seems plenty small to me, is there that much benefit to the shorter K, without significant degradation of sound suppression?

nate89
07-31-18, 00:24
I have not shot the L on any semi guns, only bolt guns. It was very impressive on a 300 win bolt gun. Like everything it's going to be a trade-off. Length and weight vs. sound reduction, etc. I would say the L is fantanstic for guns on bipods and on a bench. The K is fairly loud compared to the S, especially on shorter barreled guns like an 11.5. Right now mine basically lives on a 13.7 gun and I'm very happy with that set-up. With you wanting a can for a bolt gun, and the S is Handy enough for you an L and and S doesn't sound like a bad combo. I basically impulse bought the K due to the HPA pricing they offered.

Pappabear
08-01-18, 09:42
Im not familiar with these cans you are considering, but make sure you can't accidentally put a 556 can on a 7.62 gun. Ask me how I know that can go bad!! Its great to be able to switch the cans around on several guns. AAC didn't figure this out, Sig did. Look into that for sure.

Again, my suggestion is get a full sized 5.56 can and a full sized 30 cal can rated for 300WM. And yes cans are just as addictive as guns. So you will buy niche cans down the road but for now, hit your big bases.

PB

08-01-18, 10:56
Tavis Coburn
Dead Air Armament Sandman-S 7.62. Dead Air
Gemtech Dagger TI. Gemini Technologies
Sig Sauer SRD762TI. Sig Sauer
SilencerCo Harvester 300. SilencerCo
YHM 3400 Ti Phantom. Yankee Hill Machine

68W
08-24-18, 13:36
For a dedicated bolt gun can the SiCo Harvester is a nice choice for your 6.5 and .257. It's very lightweight, suppression is good, recoil reduction is nice, and price is reasonable. It is direct thread and not rated for FA so not ideal for ARs. I impulse bought this one due to a group buy opportunity without really having a great host gun for it. It's on my 16" 5.56 that I've put a little magnification on and decided to leave it configured as such for hunting since I now have an 11.5" with an MRO. Someday it will be dedicated to bolt guns, precision or hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
08-24-18, 14:06

22 cans are great. Light, short, and fun.

I have a Tirant 45 that I use primarily on a couple of 9MM SBRs. I have shot it on centerfire 9MM and 45 pistols but to me, centerfire pistol suppressed is underwhelming - not overly quiet and the form factor is huge compared to unsuppressed. I maybe have 200rds with it on centerfire pistols over 2 shooting sessions in the years I've owned it.

For me rimfire pistol suppressed is far more enjoyable - much quieter, cheaper (pistol, suppressor, and ammo), and smaller (pistol & suppressor vs centerfire equivalent). Much more useful for pest control as well.

Not saying centerfire pistol suppressed sucks, but it sucks in comparison to all rifle / SBR suppression and rimfire suppression.