07-28-18, 02:21
deleted

RetroRevolver77
07-28-18, 02:24
deleted

Moose-Knuckle
07-28-18, 05:10
That's gorgeous.

I'd love to move my family and I to live in a place such as that.

Give me an excuse to drop the coin on a Tikka T3x Artic.

GH41
07-28-18, 06:04
How long does it take to get used to the silence? My wife's family has a cabin on Rainy Lake (Border waters with Ontario). Went down to the dock for a smoke just before daylight and heard an incoming duck. I could hear him coming 5 minutes before he passed. I could only take 2-3 days of silence before I was ready to come home!

AndyLate
07-28-18, 07:10
How long does it take to get used to the silence? My wife's family has a cabin on Rainy Lake (Border waters with Ontario). Went down to the dock for a smoke just before daylight and heard an incoming duck. I could hear him coming 5 minutes before he passed. I could only take 2-3 days of silence before I was ready to come home!

For years, wife couldn't sleep well when we visited my parents because it was too quiet. I grew up in South Dakota 2 miles from "town".

RetroRevolver77
07-28-18, 08:30
deleted

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-28-18, 09:28
I miss water. As a kid I spent a lot of time in canoes on lakes in norther WI. Did the Boundary Waters one summer with some HS friends. CO is crap for water compared to the Northern mid-west.

Silence so loud you can hear your head hum like a jet engine? Check.

I have a home office and I'm trying to spend some time in the morning before it gets hot in the back yard. I'm in the city, but in a 'suburban' part of town with 'big' lots. I still can't make phone calls because of the sound of road and air traffic- let alone leaf blowers and the now ubiquitous nail gun bang from the remodels and scrape-n-builds.

RetroRevolver77
07-28-18, 09:41
deleted

LMT Shooter
07-28-18, 10:08
7n6, you're a lucky dude to have had those experiences. I'd love to hear some of your fishing stories from that place.

Business_Casual
07-28-18, 10:45
So there’s no take away Indian, then?

J/K - it looks gorgeous up there!

ramairthree
07-28-18, 11:24
Yep.

That was my dream. The Ramairthree compound in the middle of my hundred or more acres in an area like that.

That was not my families dream. We live in a 1500 acreish development with about half that woods and trails and common areas and the other half 20 acre lots with homes. Sure. I can’t see any neighbors.

But I’m not out there fishing with Ben and bringing in my quartered elk on number 7 either.

Jellybean
07-28-18, 12:00

You won't realize how much you've gotten used to it, or how much you miss it until you have to take a trip into a major city, at which time after about a day of driving around you will be pissed off and can't wait to get back.
Granted I've never lived anywhere *that* far out, but currently living in a rural area. I really don't understand people that LOVE cities...

Pi3
07-28-18, 14:02
7n6, you're a lucky dude to have had those experiences. I'd love to hear some of your fishing stories from that place.

My thoughts also. I had a taste of this one summer in Minnesota with a freinds home made kayak with a flat bottom. Some islands had shallows just a couple of inches deep that I could glide over.

Dienekes
07-28-18, 14:18
As a college kid I spent a summer working for a bush pilot up in Ontario—a Super Cub on floats. Still like the North Country.

RetroRevolver77
07-28-18, 17:55
deleted

LMT Shooter
07-28-18, 21:25
There's honestly not many places like Ontario for fresh water fishing, probably the most beautiful unspoiled wilderness you can imagine in absolutely crystal clear waters. I spent just over two decades going up every summer and had some of the greatest adventures imaginable.

I've fished Eagle Lake, Ontario several times over the last 10 or so years, I love it there. Been trying to get a group to go back for the last 2 years. Caught lots of walleye there, one 29", my biggest yet.

SteyrAUG
07-29-18, 02:49
While not a city guy anymore, I can't do solitude. I also worry being that far off the grid if anything went wrong...well that's it. Nobody is going to come save you and if your leg is broken, you might not be able to save yourself.

I'd hate to die because I tripped and broke a leg. Also girls in yoga pants make the day a light nicer, it was be hard to live without seeing girls in yoga pants from time to time.

GH41
07-29-18, 07:44
While not a city guy anymore, I can't do solitude. I also worry being that far off the grid if anything went wrong...well that's it. Nobody is going to come save you and if your leg is broken, you might not be able to save yourself.

I'd hate to die because I tripped and broke a leg. Also girls in yoga pants make the day a light nicer, it was be hard to live without seeing girls in yoga pants from time to time.

It should be mandated that yoga pants only be made and sold up to size 12. If 300# girls in yoga pants turn you on you need to come up here!

RetroRevolver77
07-29-18, 12:17
deleted

LMT Shooter
07-29-18, 13:04
And still no fishing stories.....

M4c needs more fishing stories.

gaijin
07-29-18, 13:22
Most of my family were Western Ks. farmers/ranchers.
I've spent a LOT of time there when I was younger/grandparents were still alive.

The vastness of open prairie was beyond belief. Miles upon miles of table top flat landscape, with homes/farmsteads several miles apart.
People living in the city have no conception of the sky, the stars, at night.
The seemingly endless section roads are NOW numbered, with effing street signs.

I'm fortunate to have a "ranch" in SE Ks., in an area known as the Flint Hills.
While I live in the city, due to my business, I spend as much time as possible at the ranch.
While I'm not a rancher, we do pasture leases with a "real" cattleman.

The land there has some feature, some character; there are hills with Limestone bedrock at the surface and sheer cliffs.
There is also more abundant water there in the form of creeks, small rivers and stock ponds.
The low areas with water and water courses have some fairly heavy forested areas with Oak, Cottonwood, Walnut and Osage.
We have 2 sections of land and are on a dead end section road, which is two miles from a "real" section road. Never much traffic. Virtually NEVER any uninvited visitors.
I have sewn up cut bird dogs myself, due to our isolation and no vets for 30 miles. I have discovered that Super Glue is my friend- having used it and tape to close some wounds on me and buds that probably should have been stitched up.
We have no TV, no cell phone reception and our sole external distracton is an AM radio that picks up two stations.
Frankly, this is a large part of the attraction of the place.

I do a lot of hunting and shooting here. Turkey, deer and coyotes are abundant.
My group of range buds and I do a "jungle run" with handguns/AR's in the Spring before it's too hot and while the ticks are at a minimum. We set it up so we utilize a game trail which follows a stream.
Recently we started shooting some long(er) range stuff. We've laid out an area where we can shoot to 1500 yds.- but the (nearly) full value crosswinds can be a real ballbuster.
Shooting East to West, with prevailing SW winds Spring, Summer and most of Fall becomes tedious- but we don't have the distance due to topography to do otherwise.

Still, it's my version of Heaven.

RetroRevolver77
07-29-18, 14:03
deleted

LMT Shooter
07-29-18, 14:30
I don't blame the pastor. Pike are nasty. The teeth don't bother me, but they are stinky slimy bastards, they stink up the boat when you bring one in.

RetroRevolver77
07-29-18, 14:53
deleted

SteyrAUG
07-29-18, 16:00
Yah one thing about a place that remote is you become risk adverse. Like you say, if you get hurt out there- they might not ever find you. However that's really a small risk. To mitigate that risk, you simply made sure people knew where you were heading to. I was really into that wilderness survival stuff as a teen, so I read everything I could on the subject- then wanted to try it all myself. Those stupid rabbit snare traps you learn about in boy-scouts- we did that. Or building a lean-to out of pine boughs, well, it sure don't keep the mosquitoes out. I always pushed myself to get out of my comfort zone staying further and further out on the chain of lakes with less and less supplies. I can honestly say I always felt safe up there, even when camping alone along some remote shore line of some lake out in the middle of nowhere. I also had friends up there, the kids or grand-kids of the other cabin owners and if I stayed up long enough- ended up with their stupid Canadian accent before returning home to the states. I remember during the 84' Olympics when we were little kids, my grandparents made my brother and I a series of gold and silver medals from aluminum foil for accomplishing tasks around the cabin. Ontario was a great place to spend a summer growing up, if you get a chance to visit the area- I'd suggest you take advantage.

When you are young, and there are experienced adults around, it was probably the greatest thing. When you are middle aged and by yourself, it's almost irresponsible.

RetroRevolver77
07-29-18, 16:12
deleted