PDA

View Full Version : Ready Player One (Review)

WillBrink
07-29-18, 17:41
Sort of The Goonies meets Tron meets Snow Crash. Full of 80s cultural references and music, much of them from Spielberg's own movies and such, makes for a fun movie. It's predictable and cheesy, but the visuals/CGI are great, and it's new version of a common theme in such movies. You know the the plot: group up scrappy multi cultural kids vs The Man who want so rule the world, yada yada, and against all odds they have to win, yada yada. B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixWL1BWi44U

MegademiC
07-29-18, 19:10
80s kid here. Definately going to be checking this out. Thanks for the heads up.

Vgex2
07-30-18, 00:35
If you read the book, don’t watch the movie. You’ll be disappointed

zombiescometh
07-30-18, 01:03
Granted this is coming from a person who likes the book, but I can honestly say this is on the top of my most hated movies list and sadly I wish I would have never seen it.

If you don’t plan on reading the book you’ll most likely enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
07-30-18, 06:48
If you read the book, don’t watch the movie. You’ll be disappointed

Granted this is coming from a person who likes the book, but I can honestly say this is on the top of my most hated movies list and sadly I wish I would have never seen it.

If you don’t plan on reading the book you’ll most likely enjoy it.

As with most movies I see, didn't even know it was a book. Judge the movie a stand alone entities. I never see a movie made from a good book knowing I will invariably be disappointed.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-30-18, 08:10
The only thing missing was a TI99-4/A and having to know how to use a tape recorder as a storage device!

It was a ‘bad’ movie that was ‘good’ because it never really offended with some oddity or internal cohesive failure. Never read the book, so I don’t know how it screwed up. Plots good, special effects good, music takes you along. It’s not ‘Bladerunner’, but it never stumbles, so it never falls.

It is like SW:TFA - you superficially get what you expected, just don’t look too closely, kind of like a Thai hooker, just enjoy the evening.

zombiescometh
07-30-18, 09:27
As with most movies I see, didn't even know it was a book. Judge the movie a stand alone entities. I never see a movie made from a good book knowing I will invariably be disappointed.Usually it doesn't bother me that much and I'm still able to enjoy such movies. This one they just changed so many things. I understand why some things were left out or changed for run time sake but a lot the changes just didn't make sense especially considering how some things that if they followed the book it wouldn't have changed really anything in their new design.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

BrigandTwoFour
07-30-18, 09:28
I read, and really enjoyed, the book. The movie definitely changes a lot, from the individual challenges to the timeline of the whole ordeal. The book takes place over a year or more, whereas the movie seems like only a few days.

Honestly, there was simply too much stuff in the book to make an organized plot for a film. They two are very different mediums. He movie tends to emphasize gaming culture a lot more, at the expense of the 80’s music, movies, and TV that dominated the book. They threw in little references (like the Rush 2112 poster prominently displayed), but they weren’t major plot points.

I think as long as you go in understanding that the books and films are very different mediums, and the book and movie are really geared towards different audiences, the movie is still enjoyable.

WillBrink
07-30-18, 11:19
Usually it doesn't bother me that much and I'm still able to enjoy such movies. This one they just changed so many things. I understand why some things were left out or changed for run time sake but a lot the changes just didn't make sense especially considering how some things that if they followed the book it wouldn't have changed really anything in their new design.

Well, there's some movies made from books that other than the name, have little to no reflection to the book at all. Starship Troopers comes to mind as an example. I never see movies based on favorite books personally expecting anything even resembling the book. Another was Point Of Impact. Great book, crap movie that had no real connection to the book of any note.

Tx_Aggie
07-30-18, 14:16
Well, there's some movies made from books that other than the name, have little to no reflection to the book at all. Starship Troopers comes to mind as an example. I never see movies based on favorite books personally expecting anything even resembling the book. Another was Point Of Impact. Great book, crap movie that had no real connection to the book of any note.

Starship troopers was a lost cause from the beginning. It never had any hope of living up to Heinlein's novel. It was intentionally twisted by Paul Verhoeven (director) in an attempt to parody the novel, as he felt it was too right wing, militaristic, and fascist.

Personally, I love the book (along with most of Heinlein's other work) and would prefer no movie to Verhoeven's satire.

TexHill
07-30-18, 16:26
I never see a movie made from a good book knowing I will invariably be disappointed.

I generally agree, with the one exception being Lonesome Dove which was both a great book and a great mini-series.

WillBrink
07-30-18, 17:04
I generally agree, with the one exception being Lonesome Dove which was both a great book and a great mini-series.

It was a great mini series, but I didn't even know it had been a book.

austinN4
07-30-18, 17:39
It was a great mini series, but I didn't even know it had been a book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonesome_Dove

austinN4
07-30-18, 17:42
I tried to watch RPO, but only lasted about 15 minutes. Just not into VR.

jmp45
07-30-18, 18:17
I tried to watch RPO, but only lasted about 15 minutes. Just not into VR.

Same here, we lasted about 5 or 10 minutes. Lost interest and went back to Boardwalk Empire.

WillBrink
07-31-18, 07:21
Same here, we lasted about 5 or 10 minutes. Lost interest and went back to Boardwalk Empire.

If you don't like CGI, VR, etc then no, not the movie for you, but it did also take me a bit to to get into it. It didn't start off well.

jmp45
07-31-18, 14:34
If you don't like CGI, VR, etc then no, not the movie for you, but it did also take me a bit to to get into it. It didn't start off well.

I'm ok with cgi if it's done well, this was too much game / anime like content for me.

WillBrink
07-31-18, 18:19
I'm ok with cgi if it's done well, this was too much game / anime like content for me.

It does improve, but you're not missing a great movie by not seeing it either. It's fun once it gets going, but a classic of the genre it aint.

jmp45
07-31-18, 20:17
It does improve, but you're not missing a great movie by not seeing it either. It's fun once it gets going, but a classic of the genre it aint.

I'm sure Will, some of these types are hits and miss with me. i'm wrapped up now with Boardwalk Empire. If you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out.