PDA

View Full Version : What has proven to be your most indispensable shooting accessories?

titsonritz
07-29-18, 22:36
This is NOT a thread about red dot sights, LPVOs, stocks, sling, tactical lights or other stuff attached to a weapon (exceptions noted below), nor is it about holsters, chest rigs, plate carriers or gear of that nature.

This thread is about all the little peripheral stuff that has either helped you become a better shooter or has just made your life a lot easier having it around. Those things you wonder how you got by without it before had it. Stuff like shot timers, laser range finders, a quality spotting scope, some fancy mag loader that fills a 100 mags in 20 minutes, that sort of stuff. As far as something attached to a weapon, say like a GoPro for self analyzing your drills would be in line with the topic.

Let's hear what you got, how you use it and why you consider it an important part your shooting/training lifestyle.

Tx_Aggie
07-29-18, 22:44
The most obvious answer for me would be electronic ear pro. The first time I tried a set it completely changed the shooting experience, I bought a quality pair of electronic muffs and never looked back.

titsonritz
07-29-18, 23:12
The most obvious answer for me would be electronic ear pro. The first time I tried a set it completely changed the shooting experience, I bought a quality pair of electronic muffs and never looked back.

That ain't no lie and a perfect example.

JulyAZ
07-29-18, 23:13
Arizona gun laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ST911
07-30-18, 07:24
http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-m49pmlf/products/658/images/3067/STPRO_3__98308.1471358864.370.370.JPG?c=2

ggammell
07-30-18, 07:38
Vertx A range bag. Big enough to hold a lot of stuff. Small enough to not be too big. Extremely flexible load out capabilities. Spend the coin. It’s worth it.

07-30-18, 08:01
Can’t pick between a shot timer and electronic ears, because they go together synergistically.

GTF425
07-30-18, 08:28
Can’t pick between a shot timer and electronic ears, because they go together synergistically.

This. Both have been the most worthwhile investments I ever made.

A shot timer is mandatory if you care about holding yourself accountable, and electronic ears are what God always intended.

Doc Safari
07-30-18, 09:17
Over-the-ear muffs instead of ear plugs. I got a gut full of earplugs allowing too much noise in at the wrong time, living on earwax removal kits, and in general dealing with nasty earwax-gunked pieces of rubber. Disgusting.

The_War_Wagon
07-30-18, 09:49
No-line bifocals.

07-30-18, 10:16
Lot of ammo
night sights
scope
range finder

ucrt
07-31-18, 20:24
Electronic ear muffs and spotting scope.

Vandal
07-31-18, 22:38
Electronic ear pro, dummy rounds, shot timer, and quality shooting glasses. Yes, there is a difference between good shooting glasses and the cheap crap you can buy at the range.

Pappabear
07-31-18, 23:38
Im looking to buy the Comptac III ears, which I hope will be on the list. But my Vortex Razor Spotter and Vortex Kaibab 15X binos are awesome. I also have killer tripods which are crucial to spotting scopes and with saddleback mount -Shooting.

Lots good stuff out there

PB

BuzzinSATX
08-01-18, 10:26
Good electronic ear muffs

Good range bag

Uplulas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin
08-01-18, 13:12
Good range finder.
‘Lectonic ear pro.
Shot timer.
Good spotter/Tripod. (A crap tripod is an exercise in frustration)
Good Binos.
Bench bags.

Dr. Bullseye
08-01-18, 14:45
This is going to sound stupid but balloons. Instead of just shooting a target, I blow about 40 of these up, tie them off, tap them to stumps, branches, bushes, etc, and spread them out in a semi-circle from my starting position. This is in the woods. Returning to the starting position, I cannot see all the balloons. So, I begin from cover shooting as many of the enemy as fast as possible and then moving to new cover where more are visible. Finally, I go on "patrol" and approach the ones hiding. As soon as I spot one, I drop to a knee and take him out.

Balloons are a lot of fun and I always include them. Sometimes they bring you back to reality when you rush and it takes five shots to hit one.

voiceofreason
08-05-18, 09:38
+1 on electronic ear pro, ballistic eyewear, dummy rounds

I would add STEEL. Not small, but shooting steel provides a faster more visceral experience when shooting for me than paper. Especially smaller targets at distance. INSTANT feedback.

hotrodder636
08-05-18, 15:49
Better shooter; shot timer

Makes life easier; quality range bag designed for shooting. I have used backpacks, duffel bags, etc. None work as well as a well put together range bag.

Watrdawg
08-07-18, 13:56
Electronic ear pro, Vortex range finder and my Swarovski Binos.

ndmiller
08-07-18, 20:51

+1 (but still double up with foam indoors) and a decent range bag (Midway on sale). I was carrying crappy bags of stuff around and they would tear and handles would come off....A mess

noonesshowmonkey
08-08-18, 07:51
I have found post-it notes and 3x5 note cards to be great. A 3x5 notecard taped up laterally on a head of an IPSC silohette is just about right for the A-zone. Put a post-it in the center for the brain box. Two 3x5 notecards taped vertically is just about perfect for the high-torso A-zone. You can even toss in a post-it for the heart if you want to.

Great, cheap, easily posted, replaceable targets that can take a single paper silhouette and stretch for hundreds of rounds.

daddyusmaximus
08-08-18, 13:01
I have never used a set of electronic hearing protectors, but they have been on my wish list for some time.

One of the best things I like are my binos. After years of using elcheapos like Tasco, I broke down and got a set of Steiner 8x30 military/marine binos, and they are much more clear than anything I've had in the past. After all, I spend a lot more time looking, that I do shooting.

I know the OP said red dots don't count... but they do for me. My last two deployments were a world of difference from my first. (or from my first 20+ years of peace time training for that matter) Being right handed and left eye dominant, the ability to engage targets without closing my left eye really speeds things up. Though I use an Aimpoint now, I can say without a doubt, my EoTech saved my ass in Iraq in 2005 twice when without it, old sarge (I was already in my 40s) would not have been quick enough.

Pappabear
08-08-18, 13:13
I have never used a set of electronic hearing protectors, but they have been on my wish list for some time.

One of the best things I like are my binos. After years of using elcheapos like Tasco, I broke down and got a set of Steiner 8x30 military/marine binos, and they are much more clear than anything I've had in the past. After all, I spend a lot more time looking, that I do shooting.

I know the OP said red dots don't count... but they do for me. My last two deployments were a world of difference from my first. (or from my first 20+ years of peace time training for that matter) Being right handed and left eye dominant, the ability to engage targets without closing my left eye really speeds things up. Though I use an Aimpoint now, I can say without a doubt, my EoTech saved my ass in Iraq in 2005 twice when without it, old sarge (I was already in my 40s) would not have been quick enough.

My buddy bought a set up those Binos and I was impressed. For a reasonable price, they are solid.

PB

titsonritz
08-08-18, 22:41

Steiner 8x30 military/marine binos are high on wish list, I am still in the shitty Tasco phase. And believe me, I know where you are coming from with the red dot. I was basically unable to right-handed before I got my Aimpoints, I'm just looking at all the side do-dads.

I've been using electronic hearing pro for a few years now, what major difference. I just bought a pair for my daughter on her birthday, the OMG look she gave me first time she used them was priceless, thought she was going to pee herself when I told she could plug her tunes into it.

I bought a timer a couple months ago, great little feedback tool.

High on my wish list at this point would be a quality replacement for my crappy spotting scope, laser range finder and a solid gear/range bag.

Great suggestions everyone.

titsonritz
08-09-18, 02:04
http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-m49pmlf/products/658/images/3067/STPRO_3__98308.1471358864.370.370.JPG?c=2

Most definitely a good call.

GaCop
08-11-18, 05:34
My Prochrono Chronograph.......I do a lot of load testing. It's nice to know the average velocities, Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread.

GHMann
08-11-18, 10:31
Maglula UpLuLa magazine loader.

markm
08-11-18, 11:24
Ice Chest with frosty beverages for us here in the desert... and.....

Pappabear's Taco for painting steel.

https://i.imgur.com/0gPdSdn.jpg

Pappabear
08-11-18, 11:46
I'd like to reiterate Ice chest !!

markm
08-11-18, 12:02
I'd like to reiterate Ice chest !!

The guns are secondary to the Ice Chest.

JulyAZ
08-11-18, 12:32
Rattlecanning FDE over black guns be in the Arizona heat. It’ll help you from burning the shit outta your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SeriousStudent
08-11-18, 12:52

This. Giant industrial-sized ice chest full of water and G2 Gatorade bottles.

One of the big mamma-jamma's with wheels on it, not one of the lunch-box size ones.

titsonritz
08-11-18, 13:14

Rattlecanning FDE over black guns be in the Arizona heat. It’ll help you from burning the shit outta your hand.

To say nothing of your face. I learned that when lived in the Phoenix area (Glendale) then reaffirmed it in SE OK, it was like the monsoon season in AZ (not necessarily raining) all the flipping time, just miserable hot intense sun with ridiculous humidity. If you weren't rehydrating constantly you'd be dying.

markm
08-11-18, 13:20
To say nothing of your face. I learned that when lived in the Phoenix area (Glendale) then reaffirmed it in SE OK, it was like the monsoon season in AZ (not necessarily raining) all the flipping time, just miserable hot intense sun with ridiculous humidity. If you weren't rehydrating constantly you'd be dying.

We haven't got cooked too bad this year at all. Pop up shade is another life saver, folding tables, and Pappabear hangs screens on the sides of the pop up for excellent shade.

AKDoug
08-11-18, 17:35
Another voter for the UpLula... followed closely by the StripLula... Load mags quickly, get back to shooting.

titsonritz
08-11-18, 19:55
Another voter for the UpLula... followed closely by the StripLula... Load mags quickly, get back to shooting.

This seems to be coming up a lot.

donlapalma
08-11-18, 21:58
My cell phone is pretty damn instrumental to improving my shooting ability, specifically the video camera. Nothing like being able to review video of your stance, reloads, etc. and fix things that need fixing.

Also, not sure if this qualifies since it is not a physical item per se, but allow me to add to the list: this forum. Not sure how dudes learned about this stuff pre-internet, but I'm sure glad I can come on here and learn about all kinds of gear, training techniques, drills, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

flhshvlhed
08-12-18, 02:20
For me - I would have to say that the most indispensable accessory, is a staple gun w/a box of staples. I learned a long time ago that this is the 2d most important "gun" that you can bring to the range.

For me, my range bag set-up is fluid. I have 2 different range bags. 1 generally has the ammo and magazines/moon clips, while the other has the "cool" (but handy) stuff. However, I've recently been looking at one of the plastic, rolling tool boxes with the collapsible handle (like what a contractor would use to roll tools from the vehicle to a work site)

My "cool" stuff range bag includes, but is not limited to:
- 1st Aid kit w/ tourniquet + band-aids (for little owies)
- Electronic hearing protection (w/a spare battery) + foam earplugs (For double protection when someone is shooting something w/ a
muzzle brake under overhead cover)
- Some form of lubricant/oil, an application rag, a weapons cleaning kit and some paper towels
- A small Allen wrench/Torx bit set
- Screwdriver bit set
- Targets, masking tape, black "bulls eye" stickies
- Spotting scope/binoculars/tripod
- Short cleaning rod (for pistol), full length cleaning rod (for rifle)
- Shot timer (w/a spare battery)
- Lulu/glock loader for whatever I'm shooting. Spare moon clips + loader/unloader for revolver
- 1911 bushing wrench
- Small notepad, pen, and sharpie
- Sand bags (these can be made using old blue jean pant legs w/ plastic bag liners)

YMMV - but this has worked well for me.

Mak8080
08-12-18, 22:31
Maglula

andre3k
08-13-18, 03:06
All of my reloading gear.

I just keep my supply of components topped off as sales pop up.

voiceofreason
10-11-18, 11:27
I've come to really appreciate the little Fireclean packets of lubricant. Easy to toss to newbies that run their guns dry and keep on your kit in general.

LMT Shooter
10-11-18, 13:13
I've come to really appreciate the little Fireclean packets of lubricant. Easy to toss to newbies that run their guns dry and keep on your kit in general.

I've taken to putting those packets (any lubes, I don't care which, just whatever I got for free) in my pistol grip, just in case.

Qahoqoje
10-19-18, 16:44
I think the laws just have this information

MegademiC
10-19-18, 19:42
Snap caps

MWAG19919
10-19-18, 22:22
Dillon XL650. I'd shoot about a fifth less if it weren't for that sucker. I have a separate toolhead for 9x19 and .223, so it takes about 15 minutes to change the press over. And the casefeeder is amazing too.

Brass catcher for our AR-15s. Chasing brass would get old VERY fast. It's bad enough I have to do it with 9mm.

My electronic ear pro is effective but uncomfortable. I will one day upgrade to something more comfortable with better NRR rating and bluetooth (iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack).

I really want to get a shot timer!

Jonnyt16
10-21-18, 15:25
Dump pouch. The one I got is from a small company out of Visalia, CA called Specter Gear. Love the quality of this thing and the size is perfect. Sadly, I don't think they make it anymore.

Anyway, I can't imagine not having this thing on my belt. Makes life so much easier while out training. I use it to hold everything and anything...shot timer, sharpie, phone, range finder, brass, empty mags, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/52KMJfQ.jpg?1

Boy Scout
10-22-18, 22:51
-Custom fit foam earplugs
-Electronic ears
-Good eyewear
-Long sleeve camping/boating shirts - sun protection that lest some air through
-A quality headlamp with a red LED and low-medium-high settings - for night loading and target changing obviously

vertigo_2_20
11-12-18, 22:58
As others have mentioned, UpLULA loaders are great. As for hearing protection, as much as I hate in-the-ear headphones and earplugs, I hate earmuffs even more, so I had some custom ones molded that are significantly more comfortable and easier to use than foam or plastic in-the-ear ones and also more comfortable and obviously not bulky like earmuffs. The set I mainly use for shooting passively block out louder noises while allowing quieter noises, like talking, through. I've never used electronic earmuffs, but I'd guess they probably do better at that than mine, though mine do pretty well enough. Some day I'd like to get a set of electronic custom-molded plugs.

A couple other unique things I keep in my main range bag (I have several bags, one large one for guns, targets, cleaning gear, and some other stuff and smaller ones for mags and ammo) are a net (just a cheap net fabric I bought off eBay) that I lay down on the ground to catch the shells, which helps with cleanup (I need to get a bigger piece, though, and preferably one with smaller holes) and a bathmat for putting guns on to keep them clean. A towel would also work, and would be a bit more compact, but I use a bathmat due to the rubber backing, so I can put it on a car or sloped surface if needed and it'll stay put.

Binoculars have been mentioned several times. I've had a pair of Nikon binoculars for over ~25-30 years now that I love. They may not be super high quality, but they're not cheap, and the optics seem plenty good to me. But what I really like about them is that they have a variable zoom, something like 7-20x, which is a feature I've not seen on any other pair. I'm sure others have it, but it seems to be a pretty rare thing, and it's incredibly useful.

I also keep a small medkit in my main range bag, with some QuikClot, though I need to replace it and add some other things like a tourniquet. And I typically keep spare eye and ear protection for others.

I also use snap-caps (dummy rounds), including drywall anchors for the 22s.

And finally, self-sealing targets. Paper targets suck (hard to see if you're hitting them, have to keep replacing them, limited to where you can hang them) and metal targets have splashback risks, are big and heavy, and are mostly stationary. But I have several different Do-All (and other similar brands) targets that are great. I just toss them out on the range in various spots then move back and forth between them as I'm shooting, and you know when you hit them because they move, which is also nice because then their locations change. Once I just kept shooting a ball over and over until it eventually rolled too far away to hit anymore. And one of the targets is a groundhog on a spring. These targets are so easy to use, give great feedback, and last forever. I got some spinner ones with the idea of stringing them across the range on some dog-run cable, but it didn't take long before someone hit the cable and destroyed it. If I can figure out something that would hold up better, that would make a great setup.

Oh, and one last thing: bug spray.

Whitenightvision
02-19-19, 20:59
E ear pro
Pickup truck
Butt wipes
Steel targets

Frenchman
03-26-19, 08:15
The most important accessory to any gun is 5 cases of practice ammo. Everything else is nice to have, but not indispensable.

Eurodriver
03-26-19, 08:37
Bug spray.

P2Vaircrewman
03-26-19, 09:10
At 75 years old my best shooting accessory has been the interoctular lens implants to correct for cataracts. I didn't realize what I couldn't see until the cataracts were removed. My left non dominate eye was done first and I shot two targets one using my dominate eye with the cataracts and the other target with the non dominate eye with the cataracts removed. I consistently placed more shots in the bull and had smaller groups with the corrected non dominate eye.

Giggles
03-26-19, 10:01
I would say binoculars and permanent markers for making targets on scrap paper. The best part of all that is that none of it cost me all that much.