PDA

View Full Version : Robo-call the robo callers

Ned Christiansen
08-01-18, 10:39
God I'm so fed up with these cowardly, rude, lying, scamming, time-wasting..... you get the point.

I've had some doozies lately. Several are in that computer-reading-text voice. In very crappy English, it goes something like:

It has expired. You have four felony charges pressed against your name. The local cops will become involved. Please call us so that we can farther talk this matter....

Many times when you call the number there's no answer / not a valid number, etc.

I really wonder, how many people die in crashes each year answering these useless calls?

When I have time I call back and when I reach someone I try to tell them politely, it's bad kharma what you're doing. It's bad for you, it's bad for the people you call, you are stealing from your own people, you should get a job where your soul doesn't turn a little blacker every day. It's immoral and illegal what you're doing. Of course usually they hang up. Sometimes, they get nasty, knowing they are untouchable. I talked to one and told her she had reached, well, there's probably some law against who I told her she had reached, but I spoke to her in Spanish (obviously her first language) and counseled her in a polite and non-threatening way that she was doing something that would lead to deportation and losing everything.... I really got to her and she started crying. I told to to quit now.... I bet she did.

I don't think they are all lowlifes, some are just people trying to make a living until something better comes along. But judging by some of the responses, many are A-holes.

They've learned how to use numbers that appear local and in fact to pirate legit numbers-- like I called one back a month ago and it was the local eye care clinic. Personally I think it's a major failure by the phone companies that they have not figured out how to stop this-- and all the rest of it.

How about we start a campaign and share numbers that can be gotten to, and give them what-for? Many times they can block you or automatically have a no-call-back number, but sometimes you can get through. I have one now that can't seem to block me: 269 355 6537

I propose these rules: don't yell, don't swear. Take the high ground. Maybe we should agree on a short script so they get that it's organized. Here's what I am arriving at in recent weeks:

"What you are doing is illegal and immoral. It hurts people-- your own people. You have sold your honesty and allowed someone to pay you to lie and cheat people. This is bad for your soul-- why not find a job where you are not helping a criminal organization?"

Will this do any good? If everyone everywhere did it, I think it could......

markm
08-01-18, 10:47
I get those 2 or 3 per day on some days. I just dump them on the first ring or two. I never take a phone call from anyone not already a contact in my phone.

austinN4
08-01-18, 10:58
I use NoMoRobo.com and it helps a lot. I get very few anymore, because, unlike just blocking the number locally, when you report a junk call to NoMoRobo it builds a national data base. Your phone will rings once, but the call will get blocked by NoMoRobo and will never get through.

Ned Christiansen
08-01-18, 11:11
All good but I think they just pick another number to call from-- they seem to operate with complete impunity.

I can't imagine how low their success rate must be-- I often wonder if that's even the real reason for the calls but I can't for the life of me figure out what else it is other than to cause accidents and lower national productivity.

Arik
08-01-18, 11:23
I just click TALK, END and then block. Takes about 1.3 seconds. Don't really pay attention or care enough to call them back or argue. Just click END. Honestly wouldn't know if I get one call a month or one call a day. Not something I care enough to remember

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1_click_off
08-01-18, 13:53
I love messing with them. But that is just me.

If you never want a call from someone not in your contact list, simply move your entire contact list to your favorites, then turn your “do not disturb” on, and let favorite contacts be in the exception list.

No more calls from people you don’t know.

That is one way to do it on an iPhone at least.

Arik
08-01-18, 14:06
The robot callers spoof numbers, mostly using the three exchange digits of the number they're calling. They call using legit numbers they made up so blocking is not an option. I've even been called with the robo using my own number.

Im able to block. I just select the number and click "BLOCK".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

signal4l
08-01-18, 14:09
I can't add any more phone numbers to my reject list. Last time I tried I got the message that the list was full.

1911-A1
08-01-18, 14:28
Did I wander into the wrong forum?

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-01-18, 15:40
Yep. Wrong "GD".

But while I'm here.... I keep them on the line and start asking ever more dirty questions.

26 Inf
08-01-18, 16:31
Yep. Wrong "GD".

But while I'm here.... I keep them on the line and start asking ever more dirty questions.

Oh, yes this. I had a guy call me and tell me I'd won the publishers clearing house. I played along.

The scam was I had to pay for the secure delivery of the funds before they could have my presentation. I told him no problem, how much did I need. He asked if I had a bank, I said yes, he told me I'd need 750.00 to ensure (or insure, I don't which he meant) the delivery.

I told him sure, I've got that much in the safe. I told him I'm going to open the safe. Meanwhile I'm motioning to my wife and telling her 'Hey honey, we won the publisher's clearing house, again!' (I said again because my wife really won a smaller cash prize several years ago). She's onto it and goes all exuberant while I hold the phone.

Then I tell the guy that I am opening the safe and set the phone down so he could probably hear me jacking with the dials. I pick up a random pistol, and hold it by the phone while I slam a mag home, and cycle the action. I then tell the guy I'm ready and that I have the cash and my gun to protect the cash, what's next? We finally settle on Dillon's to get the money order and he admonishes me not to 'brandish' my gun in Dillon's.

So he's staying with me on the phone and I actually go out to the truck, stop and shout at my neighbor about my good fortune, start the truck and actually drive off. I can just imagine this guy's woody getting bigger as we approach his payday. I pull over and say well, here we are at Dillon's, what do you want me to do with the money order after I get it? He tells me he'll give me an address to send the money to.

That is when I told him, well this has been amusing, just how ****ing stupid do you think I am, you silly SOB? (cleaned it up but you get the idea). He's still playing, offering me reassurances that it is for real, I once again ask him how stupid doe he think I am in rather coarse terms where upon he puts on his supervisor. I treated his supervisor to the same verbal harangue and hung up.

A good time was had by all.

Coal Dragger
08-01-18, 16:50
I usually tell them about my STD’s that I got from relations with their mothers, sisters, wives, or daughters.

Not very creative I know, but satisfying nonetheless.

Ned Christiansen
08-01-18, 19:18
Oops, thought I posted this on GD..... my bad.

Yeah maybe I'm not as adult about this as I ought to be:big_boss: but G.D. I find it so irritating and insulting.....

MegademiC
08-01-18, 20:50
I just dont answer phone calls tlfrom numbers I dont know. VM gets a call back(ussually). No message, no callback.

Also, sign up for do not call list. It works. When it doesnt, report it and it stops.

The_War_Wagon
08-01-18, 21:29
CPR Callblocker VR5000 is your friend.

https://smhttp-ssl-51929.nexcesscdn.net/media/extendware/ewimageopt/media/inline/75/d/v5000-with-6500-number-blocking-095.png

I thought sure, I'd fill it completely, in my first month of ownership. Remarkably, after almost 2 1/2 years of use, I JUST blocked my 200th call yesterday. At this rate, it should take me over 23 years to finally fill it up (100+ of the most COMMON 800 numbers come pre-blocked, and you can block 5,000 more numbers total), and - thankfully - I don't plan on living that long! :cool:

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-01-18, 21:53
Well played 26th. Would have been fun to get the address to send something ‘special’....

There was a local scam about your relative caused an accident, you need to bring money now or else they were going to hurt your relative- don’t call the cops. There were actual meets, which surprised me because they wouldn’t have gone as planned ;). . I just assumed it was a way to get you out of your house.

SteyrAUG
08-01-18, 22:17
So I answer something like this...

"Hang on a sec"

Me in background: "No you need to roll it up in the carpet and take it out the BACK DOOR"

"Who is this?"

Todd.K
08-01-18, 22:50
Aren't you just blocking the spoofed number? Couldn't it end up being a local business, your Dr's office, or kids school you block?

SeriousStudent
08-01-18, 22:52
Ned, I think you'll enjoy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOvXxnSEQKY

vandal5
08-01-18, 23:03
Blocking numbers can be tricky. Guessing it's the same for scamers, but some companies will rotate out there numbers or will just out pulse what looks like a local number to you.

Blocking that number works for a short time but once they cycle there numbers you could be blocking a number you don't need to.

Jellybean
08-01-18, 23:11
So much win. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, I've gotten more than my fair share of these. Pretty much, it's at the point where if I don't know your number, or you don't leave a message, I'm not picking up. So far it's been working fine, and there is just that little bit extra of less stress in my life.

Honu
08-02-18, 04:43

I love that was going to post the same thing :)

vandal5
08-02-18, 05:06
So much win. [emoji23]

In all seriousness though, I've gotten more than my fair share of these. Pretty much, it's at the point where if I don't know your number, or you don't leave a message, I'm not picking up. So far it's been working fine, and there is just that little bit extra of less stress in my life.This is pretty much what I do. If I don't know the number I just silence and ignore. If they done leave a message or follow up with a txt I assume they don't know me and forget it. I have a house number that has no voice mail. I only give this out for things I need to provide a number but don't really want to talk to. Anyone else gets my cell. No one ever gets my work number unless it's a customer or work contact. I made that mistake before...

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
08-02-18, 08:48
Aren't you just blocking the spoofed number? Couldn't it end up being a local business, your Dr's office, or kids school you block?

If it's a local #, I run it through 800notes first. Out of state? Out of LUCK - you're blocked, and I DON'T care. Drop me a postcard. :sarcastic:

jmp45
08-02-18, 09:32
For the neighbor spoofing I get if I have time, I call them back. I tell the # owner that their phone number has been hijacked and is being used for scamming. I suggest they call their phone service and report. I had a call last week from a spoofed cell# that was a microsoft support tech needing to get into one of my pcs to check for malware.

SeriousStudent
08-03-18, 00:20
I have minions who work for me in foreign countries. Theoretically, I could email them a script, and have them spend a shift making Skype calls back to that annoying phone number. And listen as they scream at each other in their native tongues.

Of course, I'd never do such a thing, it would be just plain wrong.

Hilarious and highly entertaining, but wrong.

Double3
08-03-18, 07:48
I never answer unless it is someone I know or I'm expecting a call although once I had one call from a friend's number.

That was odd.

RazorBurn
08-03-18, 08:40

One of my all time favorites!

Ned Christiansen
08-03-18, 09:27
I gotta get me some o' them minions.....

SeriousStudent
08-03-18, 10:29
I gotta get me some o' them minions.....

I'll trade a dozen minions for one of your 1911's! :) I'll even throw in some draft picks, to sweet the deal.

I need to send you some pics, by the way. I snagged an old Austin Behlert 1911 yesterday, and figured you would enjoy looking at it.

HMM
08-03-18, 20:36
Sadly I use my cell phone for work and have a 7 state region. I get all kinds of weird numbers calling me that are legit work stuff. On the robo calls I usually just answer and lay the phone down until they finally hang up. Other times I'll push 1 for a live person and then string them along for fun. But I sooooo wish there was a free option to stop them. I use to register every number that called me on the national do not call registry web site but I don't think that worked...

SilverBullet432
08-03-18, 21:41
I’m tired of Heather from account services, and the guy asking me if Raquel is there.... Oh and that pre approved $250 loan...

RioGrandeGreen
08-03-18, 23:49
I just start speaking Spanish in an old man voice with bad hearing "Bueno, bueno, quien habla, no comprendo".

Ned Christiansen
08-05-18, 10:28
Sadly I use my cell phone for work and have a 7 state region. I get all kinds of weird numbers calling me that are legit work stuff. On the robo calls I usually just answer and lay the phone down until they finally hang up. Other times I'll push 1 for a live person and then string them along for fun. But I sooooo wish there was a free option to stop them. I use to register every number that called me on the national do not call registry web site but I don't think that worked...

Yeah, if only there was a secret keypunch sequence that would deliver an extremely painful but harmless electric shock to the caller.

LMT Shooter
08-05-18, 11:05
Oh, yes this. I had a guy call me and tell me I'd won the publishers clearing house. I played along.

The scam was I had to pay for the secure delivery of the funds before they could have my presentation. I told him no problem, how much did I need. He asked if I had a bank, I said yes, he told me I'd need 750.00 to ensure (or insure, I don't which he meant) the delivery.

I told him sure, I've got that much in the safe. I told him I'm going to open the safe. Meanwhile I'm motioning to my wife and telling her 'Hey honey, we won the publisher's clearing house, again!' (I said again because my wife really won a smaller cash prize several years ago). She's onto it and goes all exuberant while I hold the phone.

Then I tell the guy that I am opening the safe and set the phone down so he could probably hear me jacking with the dials. I pick up a random pistol, and hold it by the phone while I slam a mag home, and cycle the action. I then tell the guy I'm ready and that I have the cash and my gun to protect the cash, what's next? We finally settle on Dillon's to get the money order and he admonishes me not to 'brandish' my gun in Dillon's.

So he's staying with me on the phone and I actually go out to the truck, stop and shout at my neighbor about my good fortune, start the truck and actually drive off. I can just imagine this guy's woody getting bigger as we approach his payday. I pull over and say well, here we are at Dillon's, what do you want me to do with the money order after I get it? He tells me he'll give me an address to send the money to.

That is when I told him, well this has been amusing, just how ****ing stupid do you think I am, you silly SOB? (cleaned it up but you get the idea). He's still playing, offering me reassurances that it is for real, I once again ask him how stupid doe he think I am in rather coarse terms where upon he puts on his supervisor. I treated his supervisor to the same verbal harangue and hung up.

A good time was had by all.

I did something similar a few weeks ago, got him to hang up on me after I told him I'd just wasted 10min of his time that he could've used to scam someone else, with lots of cussing & insulting.

Good times, good times indeed.

LMT Shooter
08-05-18, 11:06
I usually tell them about my STD’s that I got from relations with their mothers, sisters, wives, or daughters.

Not very creative I know, but satisfying nonetheless.

I'm using this next time.