PDA

View Full Version : Spike's Tactical?

Slater
08-02-18, 15:56
A few weeks ago my brother-in-law was looking over my Colt AR15A4 and said that he'd like to have one like it. Talking with him today, he apparently has his sights set on a Spike's Tactical A2 HBAR. I would personally recommend the Colt but I have zero experience with Spike's. Are they a decent range plinker?

BrigandTwoFour
08-02-18, 16:10
More or less.

They deemed good enough years back, if not a little flashy with their “lifestyle” image and roll marks. They got a bad rap for raising prices during the 2012 panic. I haven’t really kept up with hem since. I don’t really think they do anything better than the usual suggestions around here.

Why is he into the HBAR?

Slater
08-02-18, 16:26
More or less.

They deemed good enough years back, if not a little flashy with their “lifestyle” image and roll marks. They got a bad rap for raising prices during the 2012 panic. I haven’t really kept up with hem since. I don’t really think they do anything better than the usual suggestions around here.

Why is he into the HBAR?

Didn't ask about his HBAR preference. Other than Bushmaster (which markets them as a competition rifle) I didn't realize that many companies even made HBAR's these days.

tacticaldesire
08-02-18, 16:38
A lot of people don't like them because of some of their more corny rollmarks and images but their rifles are decent. There was also some drama because of their lawsuit against Ben Thomas (Mookie). Their rifles are on par but no better than what gets suggested here. Certainly better than the Ruger/SW Sports/Deltons of the world.

Freelance
08-02-18, 16:43
I have several of their upper/lower receiver sets that I used for a couple of my earliest builds. As was previously stated they got a bad rep. during the price gouging thing in 2012. I personally had great customer service experience from their folks when I had questions. They made some nice receiver sets, I never have had any issues with any of my parts for what that's worth. I tend to lean towards BCM/DD these days as I find they are a nice combo of quality and price.

RHINOWSO
08-02-18, 16:49
Everyone wants a Colt / DD / BCM until they see the price tag, then Shrubmaster / Spikes / etc is good enough.

For a range toy that gets finger banged every couple months, it'll be fine either way.

Slater
08-02-18, 17:07
Their rollmark does look kind of gaudy/hipster.

Swstock
08-02-18, 18:27
I think most of their bad rap is due to things other than failires.

I have a couple guns that I built out of spikes parts and they are good to go for me.

The_War_Wagon
08-02-18, 18:28
I HAD to have a snowflake lower, because it makes ME laugh, and my 12 year old daughter thinks the unicorn is "adorable." :jester:

To fix that, I put a DD lpk in it, so it at least works.

pinzgauer
08-02-18, 18:33
I have several of their upper/lower receiver sets that I used for a couple of my earliest builds. As was previously stated they got a bad rep. during the price gouging thing in 2012. I personally had great customer service experience from their folks when I had questions. They made some nice receiver sets, I never have had any issues with any of my parts for what that's worth. I tend to lean towards BCM/DD these days as I find they are a nice combo of quality and price.Spikes bad rep predates 2012...

They were claiming mil spec, got caught. Then claimed it again on bolts, when they were not doing mil spec testing.

Probably better than some clones like Delton, but sure not worth any premium in my book.

Worse, their fanboys are high drama. And Kings of the "just as good as" thing.

markm
08-02-18, 18:41
Their tungsten powder buffers steered me away from anything they offer. But like RHINOSWO said, if it's just a funzy gun, it'll be fine.

justin_247
08-02-18, 18:51
Spike's rifles are good to go, especially for a range pinker. People bringing up their alleged actions from six years ago is kind of silly. It reminds me of folks who oppose Colt because their leadership at the time supported gun control back in the 90s.

The choice of an HBAR is kind of silly, though.

08-02-18, 19:05
I have two Spikes uppers; a dedicated .22 and a 5.56mm with Adams Arms piston kit. Both are superb, and no issues with them.

Spikes does do good choices with their barrel selection. The .22 I have has a Lothar Walther barrel, which was an upgrade to the Green Mountain barrel (both are match)... and mine can shoot the nuts off of a fly. The 5.56mm was a stainless barrel, 1 in 8" twist, and Melonite coated. Accuracy for that one is also pretty good for a 16" AR barrel.

As said, BCM is another good source. I was going to get one for a lightweight AR build, until I changed and built a .45 on that lower (for those, I recommend Macon Armory out of Georgia). I am also going to be doing a FDE build, and I'm going to use Aero Precision for that... for their reviews and the fact that they are one of the few companies that offer complete FDE upper receivers.

As far as price raising, it is a capitalist society... supply and demand drives price up/down. I never saw Spikes raping customers... like a $500 stripped lower (standard DPMS, at that) that I saw in a local gun range at around that same time period.

Slater
08-02-18, 19:30
I believe this is the rifle in question. Looks to be an unremarkable Plain-Jane, although it does feature a 1/7 twist barrel. I do like the retro look, though.

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/complete-rifles/products/complete-rifles-20-retro-build?variant=32734107788

justin_247
08-02-18, 19:45
I believe this is the rifle in question. Looks to be an unremarkable Plain-Jane, although it does feature a 1/7 twist barrel. I do like the retro look, though.

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/complete-rifles/products/complete-rifles-20-retro-build?variant=32734107788

Well, make sure he doesn't pay that much for it. Here it is for $822:
https://www.gunsmidwest.com/spike-s-a2-retro-556nato-20-blk.html

Some more deals:
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/STR5275-A2H

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-02-18, 19:51
Nothing wrong with spikes parts. I’ve built 4 guns with spikes sets. I have two nickel boron bcg’s and a 14.5 chf LW barrel. My first bcg gave me some problems like double feeds because it wasn’t ejecting and spikes sent me a brand new bolt and zero problems 3 years later and probably 2000 rounds. My other BCG by them has had zero problems. The 14.5 barrel is a spikes branded FN barrel and it out shoots my noveske 16 chf barrel. I like the T2 buffers by them and have them in 3 guns so far. People don’t like their roll marks but I like some of them, they make me laugh. Their lpk’s are good to go also.

HalliganJoel
08-02-18, 20:11
I have the Viking lower. Quality-wise everything seems fine. BCM LPK went in with no prob as did Geissele trigger. I will be switching it out eventually as I decided I don't care for the cartoony lower.

pinzgauer
08-02-18, 20:21
Nothing wrong with spikes parts. I’ve built 4 guns with spikes sets. I have two nickel boron bcg’s and a 14.5 chf LW barrel. My first bcg gave me some problems like double feeds because it wasn’t ejecting and spikes sent me a brand new bolt and zero problems 3 years later and probably 2000 rounds. My other BCG by them has had zero problems. The 14.5 barrel is a spikes branded FN barrel and it out shoots my noveske 16 chf barrel. I like the T2 buffers by them and have them in 3 guns so far. People don’t like their roll marks but I like some of them, they make me laugh. Their lpk’s are good to go also.Generic anecdotal "just as good as..." stuff

I'll play: I've had dozens of bolts from companies other than spikes... Never had one fail. (DD, LMT, Colt, AA, toolcraft) Never had to do an exchange.

I don't think spikes is bad. It's just not "better" to justify a premium

Said another way, I've been consistently able to get better parts and weapons for the same money or less as Spikes.

dud3r
08-02-18, 23:35
I just built a 5.56 on a spikes upper/lower/enhanced lpk. The only thing I changed out was the trigger for a giessele. No complaints so far. Friend shoots a DD M4V(whatever the mlok one is) and they’re close.

With that being said my next build will be on an aero lower. Once you get to a certain point of quality all you’re paying for is a rollmark unless you get into the premium stuff. I have the spider logo. No colorful or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HalliganJoel
08-02-18, 23:53
With that being said my next build will be on an aero lower. Once you get to a certain point of quality all you’re paying for is a rollmark unless you get into the premium stuff. I have the spider logo. No colorful or anything.

That's the same thing I'm doing. I'm going to try the M4E1 I got for a killer price.

dud3r
08-02-18, 23:54
That's the same thing I'm doing. I'm going to try the M4E1 I got for a killer price.

Yeah I’m still working out an AR10 in my mind. Also want to get one of their lowers so I can get an SBR stamp.

Wake27
08-03-18, 00:00
I just built a 5.56 on a spikes upper/lower/enhanced lpk. The only thing I changed out was the trigger for a giessele. No complaints so far. Friend shoots a DD M4V(whatever the mlok one is) and they’re close.

What do you mean by "they're close?"

Slater
08-03-18, 09:34
Apparently Spike's rifles ship without a mag? You'd think they could throw in a P-Mag or something.

Iraqgunz
08-03-18, 18:28
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?108958-Spikes-Tactical-vs-Rock-River-Arms

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?65653-DPMS-or-Spikes-Tactical

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?75640-My-HORRIBLE-first-build-experience-thanks-to-SPIKE-S-TACTICAL

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?33514-Spikes-Tactical

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?177496-Spikes-tactical-barrel-any-good

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?177924-Possible-dangerous-issue-jam-with-Spikes-Tactical-AR-ST-15-HELP!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200150-Spike%92s-Tactical-Thoughts

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?133831-Colt-6920-vs-Spikes-Tactical-AR

Slater
08-03-18, 18:43
So the upshot is that Spike's is more of a hobby gun than anything else. That fits a lot of folks' intended use.

RHINOWSO
08-03-18, 20:07
So the upshot is that Spike's is more of a hobby gun than anything else. That fits a lot of folks' intended use.
If that’s an upshot, have fun.

Only hobby ARs I have are in 22LR and 9MM.

hile
08-03-18, 20:33
Like Rhinowswo, I don't necessarily see "hobby gun" as an upside at all. I'd rather save money for a little longer and go with BCM, Sionics, etc.

Slater
08-03-18, 20:55
Upshot (noun)=The final issue, the conclusion, or the result: "The upshot of the disagreement was a new bylaw".

Waylander
08-03-18, 21:47
They're cold hammer forged FN barrels are good.

dud3r
08-03-18, 21:49
What do you mean by "they're close?"

Performance. Accuracy. Durability. For what we do there’s not a lot of difference between the two.

elephantrider
08-03-18, 23:16
I don't buy anything from Spikes, and steer anyone resembling a friend away as well. Their whole brand and market approach is corny and geared towards the less than knowledgeable buyer. That goes for their individual parts, uppers, and complete guns. I can't prove it, but they strike me as the type of company that constantly shifts their component suppliers around based on cost, and probably wind up absorbing industry rejects at some point. I doubt they have much of an internal quality standard that is adhered to. As MarkM mentioned their powdered tungsten buffers that they sell, along with NiB BCGs, make me suspicious of them as a whole. On a macro level, looking at their rifle lineup, I see tons of aesthetic based guns (battleworn cerakote, unnecessary milling, nickle boron carriers) being sold for over $2k. Discerning buyers do not pay that much for aesthetics and a dubious quality standard. For the prices that Spikes charges, maybe a little more, a know quality supplier/builder could be paid for. Again, that goes for everything from their parts to complete builds. Spikes makes no sense, when for $100-200 more a Colt, or BCM, could be had.

Nocalsocal
08-03-18, 23:27
Old review but one of the better ones out there
http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/reviews/firearms/bravo-company-mfg-vs-spikes-tactical/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justin_247
08-04-18, 07:26
I don't buy anything from Spikes, and steer anyone resembling a friend away as well. Their whole brand and market approach is corny and geared towards the less than knowledgeable buyer. That goes for their individual parts, uppers, and complete guns. I can't prove it, but they strike me as the type of company that constantly shifts their component suppliers around based on cost, and probably wind up absorbing industry rejects at some point. I doubt they have much of an internal quality standard that is adhered to. As MarkM mentioned their powdered tungsten buffers that they sell, along with NiB BCGs, make me suspicious of them as a whole. On a macro level, looking at their rifle lineup, I see tons of aesthetic based guns (battleworn cerakote, unnecessary milling, nickle boron carriers) being sold for over $2k. Discerning buyers do not pay that much for aesthetics and a dubious quality standard. For the prices that Spikes charges, maybe a little more, a know quality supplier/builder could be paid for. Again, that goes for everything from their parts to complete builds. Spikes makes no sense, when for $100-200 more a Colt, or BCM, could be had.

I love all of the conjecture and odd assumptions you rolled in here, especially the "discerning buyers" part (how many stupid threads do we have on this forum about favorite roll mark and whatnot, and this is supposedly the forum for serious AR shooters).

With regard to parts sourcing, you know you can call up Spike's and they'll actually tell you where they source specific parts. How many bigger assemblers do that, if you can even get them on the phone in the first place?

Look at Tuohy's link on Vuurwapen above.

Slater
08-04-18, 09:52
UPDATE: Brother-in-law finally went with a Bushmaster 20 inch HBAR. Don't know if that's an upgrade or a downgrade from Spike's.

RazorBurn
08-04-18, 10:16
UPDATE: Brother-in-law finally went with a Bushmaster 20 inch HBAR. Don't know if that's an upgrade or a downgrade from Spike's.

Nocalsocal
08-04-18, 10:28
I love all of the conjecture and odd assumptions you rolled in here, especially the "discerning buyers" part (how many stupid threads do we have on this forum about favorite roll mark and whatnot, and this is supposedly the forum for serious AR shooters).

With regard to parts sourcing, you know you can call up Spike's and they'll actually tell you where they source specific parts. How many bigger assemblers do that, if you can even get them on the phone in the first place?

Look at Tuohy's link on Vuurwapen above.My Spikes/FN CHF optimum profile Midlength has been a solid barrel over the years. Absolutely rock solid, reliable and accurate. The original phosphate HPT/MPI BCG has been equally reliable. Between my Spikes and BCM upper the only thing that was different is the tighter tolerances for the barrel extension on the BCM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Slater
08-04-18, 11:22

We had a brief discussion. Price was the deciding factor, so, it is what it is. He'll probably shoot 60 rounds through it and it'll gather dust for six months.

RHINOWSO
08-04-18, 11:30
Another win for the Shrubmaster!

justin_247
08-04-18, 12:17

A big downgrade, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it or start an argument. If it was good enough for PMCs in Iraq back in the 2000s, it's probably good enough for him.

I hope he enjoys it and, most importantly, shoots more.

The_War_Wagon
08-04-18, 12:28
We REALLY need someone to step up, and update "THE Chart," ya' know... :jester:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/the_chart2.jpg

Slater
08-04-18, 12:39
I think that was more contentious than the Ford vs Chevy or Mary Ann vs Ginger debates (Mary Ann, of course).

elephantrider
08-04-18, 14:17
I love all of the conjecture and odd assumptions you rolled in here, especially the "discerning buyers" part

Hmmmmm, should I buy that Knight's SR-15, or the Derp-coated Spike's for the same price? Decision, decisions.

vodomagoo
08-04-18, 14:40
I am a dealer for them simply for their roll-marks people love them. I have assembled customers guns with spikes enhanced lpk’s snd everything was good to go no import junk like other crap I have had to deal with.

Personally I have my racegun built on a snowflake lower since it’s just flat out awesome, have a chf barrel on my goto build and have a havoc also and all those have been great. Overall, I think you pay a bunch for their brand and the image.

I truly love aero though and sell a ton of their stuff and have had 0 issues, same with my customers. Aero makes an absolutely large amount of lowers and other parts on contract for oem’s and other mfgs along with ballistic advantage doing the same with barrels so they have their shit straight imo. Even some aero blems I’ve had, they were just finish issues and we had to search for them.

For an assembled rifle, I’d go colt all day over both of them though...

justin_247
08-04-18, 16:23
Hmmmmm, should I buy that Knight's SR-15, or the Derp-coated Spike's for the same price? Decision, decisions.

I understand, but I think you're making a faulty comparison. Of course, if your budget is $1500, then, yes, the KAC rifle is far and away the superior gun. If your budget is $900, you're much more limited and can't buy a KAC rifle, although you're not as limited today as you were back when Spike's became a thing around 2009 to 2010. But that doesn't mean that Spike's makes a bad gun.

Options are much better nowadays and Spike's price points, even in the low range, are not as compelling as they once were. Back in 2009 or 2010, you only had a few companies to choose from in that price range... S&W, Charles Daly, Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, and a whole slew of other terrible options. Daniel Defense's base model, the DDXV (which doesn't even exist anymore), sold for about $1000, and Colt and LMT guns sold for about $1100-$1400. BCM wasn't nearly as big a name as it is now, and they didn't even sell complete guns.

I seriously doubt Spike's sells many guns in the $2000 range. Their bread and butter is the $750 - $1200 range. They're good rifles.

Iraqgunz
08-04-18, 16:39
Actually it wasn't good enough. They were one of the few available (Colt backlog was at least 6-12 months) and they were cheaper.

A big downgrade, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it or start an argument. If it was good enough for PMCs in Iraq back in the 2000s, it's probably good enough for him.

I hope he enjoys it and, most importantly, shoots more.

justin_247
08-04-18, 17:09
Actually it wasn't good enough. They were one of the few available (Colt backlog was at least 6-12 months) and they were cheaper.

Now that's an interesting little historical nugget. Can you expound a little?

The Colt backlog info by itself is interesting from a historical standpoint.

Iraqgunz
08-04-18, 17:24
I've talked about it many times. We had 500 BM's on contract. They were purchased in 2004 and at the time there were very few options as the AWB was still in place. Colt was in backlog due to LE and Gov't sales. Most private military companies were told that they could no longer use AK's or other weapons. This was mostly directed to DOS contracts with DOD ones following afterwards.

When your company is looking at millions and millions of dollars in contracts, you do what you have to do to be compliant. Most people also recognize that when you work overseas, you are a disposable item. The only companies getting good weapons, gear, etc.. are the ones working for DOS, OGA or certain DOD contracts.

Now that's an interesting little historical nugget. Can you expound a little?

The Colt backlog info by itself is interesting from a historical standpoint.

Slater
08-04-18, 18:02
Are Spike's and Stag Arms pretty much comparable in overall quality?

kenny256
08-04-18, 22:08
Only issue I have with spikes is one of there lowers after putting a G2S trigger in now has the pins walk out to the point of failure in 40 shots...other then that it's been good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
08-04-18, 22:31
Is it safe to assume you assembled it correctly and used the D shaped spring to hold the hammer pin in place and placed the legs of the hammer spring over the trigger pin?

Only issue I have with spikes is one of there lowers after putting a G2S trigger in now has the pins walk out to the point of failure in 40 shots...other then that it's been good.

kenny256
08-04-18, 23:09
Is it safe to assume you assembled it correctly and used the D shaped spring to hold the hammer pin in place and placed the legs of the hammer spring over the trigger pin?Yes, I thought I had done something wrong and tried it again and again no luck. Just to satisfy the fact I was doing it right I stripped another trigger out of another lower and put it together no issues.

Edit: I appreciate the help though!

vicious_cb
08-05-18, 00:03
The only spikes items I own are some lowers I bought during a panic, I could care less about the 2 dicks rollmark. Only about half of them drop pmags freely.

Are they bottom of the barrel quality? Probably not, but i wouldnt buy one. If someone bought a spike and asked me what I thought I'd probably say "Well, you could have done much worse."

kwg020
08-05-18, 03:59
I've talked about it many times. We had 500 BM's on contract. They were purchased in 2004 and at the time there were very few options as the AWB was still in place. Colt was in backlog due to LE and Gov't sales. Most private military companies were told that they could no longer use AK's or other weapons. This was mostly directed to DOS contracts with DOD ones following afterwards.

When your company is looking at millions and millions of dollars in contracts, you do what you have to do to be compliant. Most people also recognize that when you work overseas, you are a disposable item. The only companies getting good weapons, gear, etc.. are the ones working for DOS, OGA or certain DOD contracts.

I carried a BushMaster working for Dyncorp in 2009 in Afghanistan. I never felt under gunned or I was carrying junk. I'd carry it again if I were in the same situation.
kwg

Iraqgunz
08-05-18, 06:08
Good for you. Ours had numerous issues ranging from out of spec chambers (causing blown primers), malfunctions during full auto fire, incorrect stakings on the carrier keys and screws, incorrect buffers, etc...

I carried a BushMaster working for Dyncorp in 2009 in Afghanistan. I never felt under gunned or I was carrying junk. I'd carry it again if I were in the same situation.
kwg

justin_247
08-05-18, 10:01

Thank you for info!

SiGfever
08-05-18, 10:41
Another win for the Shrubmaster!

I thought they are "BushHamster"?

If he wanted a real "BushHamster", he should of at least bought a Windham Weaponry. With the cost of a Colt being so low these days, why buy sub-tier rifles? A LE6920 would have served him very well and had resale value when his "Whim" wore off.

MistWolf
08-06-18, 00:26
I thought they are "BushHamster"?

Cecil the Seasick Sea Monster

Bodhi
08-06-18, 00:28
Funny.

The exact same thread was posted on arf within the last week and the thoughts on spike's were the exact opposite.

Lot's of people saying they're good to go.

SteveL
08-06-18, 15:19
Yes, I thought I had done something wrong and tried it again and again no luck. Just to satisfy the fact I was doing it right I stripped another trigger out of another lower and put it together no issues.

Edit: I appreciate the help though!

Did you use the piece I have circled with the hammer pin? The G2S doesn't have a regular J spring in the hammer. The circled piece is the only thing that keeps the hammer pin from walking out on that particular trigger.

kenny256
08-06-18, 18:49
Did you use the piece I have circled with the hammer pin? The G2S doesn't have a regular J spring in the hammer. The circled piece is the only thing that keeps the hammer pin from walking out on that particular trigger.

53254I believe so, I don't have that particular lower we as we just moved. I'll grab it tomorrow and check!

pinzgauer
08-06-18, 21:52
Funny.

The exact same thread was posted on arf within the last week and the thoughts on spike's were the exact opposite.

Lot's of people saying they're good to go.Oh, you mean the "just as good as, just paying for a name" forum?

I just don't get it... I bought complete LMT lowers new for less than what spikes sold the same exact config. DD barrels and BCGs for less.

You really can do better for the same money

Bravo Sierra
08-07-18, 13:00
They are a milspec brand with fn chf barrel, good to go.

The_War_Wagon
08-07-18, 13:44
Funny.

The exact same thread was posted on arf TOS within the last week...

... and the results were expected. :p

Wake27
08-07-18, 13:45

Stop.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-07-18, 14:23

Lol wut

Daksquatch
08-07-18, 15:18
Lowers are alright if you can get past the sometimes cringy rollmarks and selector markings, but that's not saying much. No experience with anything else besides a gas tube that I got for the low-low price of *free*, and at Spike's price point, I'm not sure why they're worth considering over something offered from companies with long reputations of manufacturing quality components.

Iraqgunz
08-07-18, 17:13
Please stop. Yes, they were using some CHF barrels, just like many other companies. As for being MILSPEC, not so much.

kenny256
08-07-18, 17:19

53254You are 100% correct. Pulled it out and no keeper spring...thanks for teaching me something.

So scratch that, lower is actually fine.

Iraqgunz
08-07-18, 18:13
A lot of people forget about that which is why I asked above. I see it quite a bit.

You are 100% correct. Pulled it out and no keeper spring...thanks for teaching me something.

So scratch that, lower is actually fine.

kenny256
08-07-18, 19:18
A lot of people forget about that which is why I asked above. I see it quite a bit.I have had this trigger on a couple other lowers. I guess in the last one I did not transfer...

I don't know it all, so I do appreciate the help.

Swstock
08-07-18, 21:19
Please stop. Yes, they were using some CHF barrels, just like many other companies. As for being MILSPEC, not so much.

Ive had a hard time finding a spec difference between FN barrels. What am i missing?

vandal5
08-07-18, 22:58
In today's market there is little reason to buy a Spike's rifle. I own one that I got back in '09 or '10. It was around 800 or so I think, at the time Colt 6920s were around 1350 at my local dealer. I was just getting into shooting and at the time couldn't justify spending more on something that I didn't know I was going to use much (was starting to get into shooting with my dad).

If I was starting over again today I'd grab a 6920 or even one of the OEM Colts.

Iraqgunz
08-07-18, 23:11
A. Not talking about the barrel being or not being MILSPEC. There's a lot more to being MILSPEC than just a barrel. B. Military issues rifles and carbines do not use CHF barrels.

Ive had a hard time finding a spec difference between FN barrels. What am i missing?

CLee0509
08-08-18, 00:44
My thoughts on this subject echo those that said at this time in this market right now there is no reason to buy a Spikes when you could get better at same or cheaper price point. That wasn't always the case though.

There is a place for those "hobby grade" AR variants, for people who just want to go to the range to shoot and have fun. Really for most people thats what its all about. Whether you buy a Windham, Spikes, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, S&W, Stag or whatever.

I don't have any bias towards any of those brands, most of them work fine. I've owned a Bushmaster several years back and it was OK. I currently own a Stag which I'm happy with. I've got several home builds too which haven't had any issues either.

But my Colt or BCM are the ones I would grab for any bumps in the night. I guess I just trust them more knowing the quality Paul puts out in every BCM part made, the materials used etc., and how true to spec Colt is built.

Given the price points between the commercial grade and military grade variety are so close right now, there is absolutely no reason to buy the hobby grade AR.

bobbytucson
08-12-18, 01:55
I love spikes stuff. I got to visit their headquarters in fl and the guys and gals really put their heart and soul into every part they assemble and rifle they roll out. They have changed over the years from being a hobby esque brand to more of a l.e. Duty geared platform. They still use fn for their double thick chrome barrels. My spikes is staked properly everywhere and has not let me down in over a year of match use. Tucson is both stale as balls hot, and stupid chilly cold in the winter, windy dusty dirty and it runs just as good as my dd and sionics. They lost alot of seriousness points because of all their silly flavor of the month rollmarks, but hey im guilty of buyng them too, have a few silly lowers amd they just work. Life is short, so i enjoy the silly lowers at matches once in a while and heck ive even traded before, they are fun to show and tell and collect. But im not a combat vet or ex oporator by any means so theres no shame in me competing with their silly stuff but my overall experience has been 100% reliable, bcg is carp 158 hpt mpt, barrel is solid, cant really knock man i really cant. I actually have alot of respect for em, because lots of guys i introduce to the sport end up being able to get into the sport slowly on a budget and buy their lowers and uppers and barrels and start building as most shops around here carry spikes flavored lowers and spikes fn barrels almost prodominently by choice, and imo are a step up from anderson, bear creek, aero, and whoever. Almost everyone i shoot with has one of their lowers or the other and they are within spec afaik. So in my unprofessional never been to war opinion, they are good and not as bad as others make them out to be.

titsonritz
08-12-18, 02:07
I love spikes stuff. I got to visit their headquarters in fl and the guys and gals really put their heart and soul into every part they assemble and rifle they roll out. They have changed over the years from being a hobby esque brand to more of a l.e. Duty geared platform. They still use fn for their double thick chrome barrels. My spikes is staked properly everywhere and has not let me down in over a year of match use. Tucson is both stale as balls hot, and stupid chilly cold in the winter, windy dusty dirty and it runs just as good as my dd and sionics. They lost alot of seriousness points because of all their silly flavor of the month rollmarks, but hey im guilty of buyng them too, have a few silly lowers amd they just work. Life is short, so i enjoy the silly lowers at matches once in a while and heck ive even traded before, they are fun to show and tell and collect. But im not a combat vet or ex oporator by any means so theres no shame in me competing with their silly stuff but my overall experience has been 100% reliable, bcg is carp 158 hpt mpt, barrel is solid, cant really knock man i really cant. I actually have alot of respect for em, because lots of guys i introduce to the sport end up being able to get into the sport slowly on a budget and buy their lowers and uppers and barrels and start building as most shops around here carry spikes flavored lowers and spikes fn barrels almost prodominently by choice, and imo are a step up from anderson, bear creek, aero, and whoever. Almost everyone i shoot with has one of their lowers or the other and they are within spec afaik. So in my unprofessional never been to war opinion, they are good and not as bad as others make them out to be.

You do realize you have an excellent rifle builder local to you right?

bobbytucson
08-12-18, 02:18
Yes, sionics, my personal fav because both my sionics with thier lw profile barrel shoot better than any other ar i own including my dd which i personally feel is overgassed. But before i knew about sionics i have already bought a couple spikes. Sionics used to be just a regular local gun shop called the armory on pima and sold all brands of ar’s and pistols, few years later they closed it down, nobody knew what they were up to and bam, all of a sudden they are manufacturing rifles, and dam good ones at that, ones i would take over any others in a real bad situation. But, since i have already owned and used my spikes, they didnt become junk just because i roll with sionics now, i really did enjoy the spikes with great success in matches for a long time. The use has already been put to experienced runnings

titsonritz
08-12-18, 02:26
Just making sure.

bobbytucson
08-12-18, 03:03
Ofcourse. Id put sionics up against any other brand in any scenario. They just build them right, down to every pin, stake, and torquing. Sionics is the shit

Slater
08-12-18, 10:27
Some of Spike's products are a little too "cutting edge" for me, but I'm sure that some folks will buy them:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/08/10/spikes-tactical-new-spartan-ar/

titsonritz
08-12-18, 14:59
Some of Spike's products are a little too "cutting edge" for me, but I'm sure that some folks will buy them:

Only 4 bills for that lower, I'm all over it. :no:

Razorblade
08-12-18, 15:53

Wow lol

flenna
08-12-18, 16:01

Moron labe...

Captains1911
08-12-18, 16:52
Their tungsten powder buffers steered me away from anything they offer. But like RHINOSWO said, if it's just a funzy gun, it'll be fine.

What’s the problem with their buffers?

elephantrider
08-12-18, 17:04
What’s the problem with their buffers?

They do not function like a proper buffer with solid weights inside. The tungsten powder sits in a pile at the bottom of the interior buffer cavity, instead of up against the interior buffer face. When it moves it behaves more like a liquid, than solid weights that reciprocate. The powder was used to make the buffer 'silent/quiet' for the crowd who don't like their guns to make minor noises, and don't understand how they actually work. Why these buffers are dumb was figured out ages ago, but they still use, and sell them.

Bravo Sierra
08-12-18, 20:20

So are plain jane bcm lowers.

dante2
08-12-18, 20:58
Give it up dude.

That "Spartan" lower is hideous!

elephantrider
08-12-18, 21:06

Plain jane COMPLETE lower vs the stud 3perator SPARTAN stripped lower. Mega-LULZ.

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/stripped-lowers/products/rare-breed-spartan-lower?variant=12324341645335
http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Lower_p_155.html

Glock9mm1990
08-12-18, 21:47
They do not function like a proper buffer with solid weights inside. The tungsten powder sits in a pile at the bottom of the interior buffer cavity, instead of up against the interior buffer face. When it moves it behaves more like a liquid, than solid weights that reciprocate. The powder was used to make the buffer 'silent/quiet' for the crowd who don't like their guns to make minor noises, and don't understand how they actually work. Why these buffers are dumb was figured out ages ago, but they still use, and sell them.

This is the best summary of them to date.

Stickman
08-12-18, 22:19
Funny.

Different type of person posting over there. Primary posters here tend to be a bit more professional with their weapon knowledge. Here is another way to put it, if you had to have a weapon assembled at random for real world use, would you rather have an unknown from arfcom, or an unknown from m4c assemble it?

titsonritz
08-12-18, 22:24

Must new that new math.

ccosby
08-12-18, 22:58
Funny.

I've only known a few people to use their parts and all of them seemed happy. Only one of them ran the rifle hard though to my knowledge. Most of what I've read about their stuff has been good from people that actually were testing it. The problem has been that you have companies who makes parts in the same price range that have been tested a lot more.

I've personally never been fan of them due to the roll marks. I've always hated their logo. Yes I know that is one of the worst reasons to hate them but I can get something that is on par with them or better for around the same price so I've always done that. They just never really stood out, I think that is why they do all of the stupid lowers. They have made a name for themselves as being willing to do all of the goofy roll marks.

I wonder if Reed Knight is still collecting their lowers. I seem to remember years ago reading that he gets 007 or something off every serial number line they ran.

MistWolf
08-13-18, 07:49
The first time I went to the Spikes webpage, I thought I'd stumbled on the AR section of a skateboard shop.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-13-18, 08:12
The first time I went to the Spikes webpage, I thought I'd stumbled on the AR section of a skateboard shop.

That sounds about right.

ccosby
08-13-18, 22:45

Could be worst, these guys are local to me.

https://edctactical.us/collections/lower-receivers

At least spikes uses 7075 t6 and are forged.

titsonritz
08-14-18, 13:06

But...but...but what about the oven cured with H- Series Cerakote that makes just as good as < >. :jester:

Sidneyious
08-14-18, 14:24
I used a spikes lower for my build, topped it off with good parts.
G2S, solgw upper, bcm, Magpul to shorten a long list of parts.

Reason I went with it over the rra lower because the rra had silly shallow rollmarks.

Depending on what the lgs has today I may buy another spikes lower.

flenna
08-14-18, 19:55

Well, you got to admit this is pretty funny:

Sidneyious
08-14-18, 20:10
Well, you got to admit this is pretty funny:I can't even read what that says on my phone or my 60 inch TV I use as a computer monitor.

vandal5
08-14-18, 20:13
I can't even read what that says on my phone or my 60 inch TV I use as a computer monitor.
From Super Troopers.
Says Mother of God

Then the selector settings are:
Meow
Shinanigins
RamRod

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sidneyious
08-14-18, 20:16
From Super Troopers.
Says Mother of God

Then the selector settings are:
Meow
Shinanigins
RamRod

not going to lie that's funny, then again I never really care about roll marks unless they are so shallow after use you would'nt see anything like ive seen on rra lowers.
reason why I have a crusader lower over the rra lower my lgs has.

vandal5
08-14-18, 20:23
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180815/8730caf9e1a4e744791fdf4a5b894564.gif

This and the Meow part are to of my favorites from the movie.

Yeah I'm derailing the thread but it's been discussed quite a bit.

flenna
08-14-18, 21:08
I can't even read what that says on my phone or my 60 inch TV I use as a computer monitor.

Sorry, crappy pic. Here is the link.

https://edctactical.us/collections/lower-receivers/products/mother-of-god-ar-15-lower-receiver-billet

titsonritz
08-14-18, 22:08
nevermind

BPDKar98k
08-15-18, 21:43
Their marketing is gimmicky as all hell but I've never heard of anyone having any issues with their rifles themselves. They seem to hit all the marks as far as build materials go. To me they are like the Affliction T-shirts of the gun world (along with XD-M's imo). I have a Spike's lower that was gifted to me by my brother in law that I threw a BCM upper on. Fit and finish on the lower seem good to me so don't really have any complaints.

Bravo Sierra
08-16-18, 05:31
If only i could post pics, my "snowflake" rifle is hilarious, i never knew they had hello kitty AR parts, but i assure you, they certainly do.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-16-18, 06:20
If only i could post pics, my "snowflake" rifle is hilarious, i never knew they had hello kitty AR parts, but i assure you, they certainly do.

Thankfully you can’t.

Slater
08-16-18, 06:53
One of my neighbors was showing me a new AR that he just bought. This was a Stag Arms "Retro" (believe they used to call it their Model 4 or some such). Looks like just another Plain-Jane A4 except this has a 1/8 twist barrel (HBAR). Said he got it for $675 shipped. Not a bad deal for a range plinker, I guess. Seems like the 1/8 is slowly becoming more popular?

pinzgauer
08-16-18, 08:09
One of my neighbors was showing me a new AR that he just bought. This was a Stag Arms "Retro" (believe they used to call it their Model 4 or some such). Looks like just another Plain-Jane A4 except this has a 1/8 twist barrel (HBAR). Said he got it for $675 shipped. Not a bad deal for a range plinker, I guess. Seems like the 1/8 is slowly becoming more popular?With all respect your neighbor, I just don't get that mindset.

Good enough for "range plinker" is an admission that it's a compromise rifle.

I have bought a Colt 6920 for under $700 out the door (tax and all) not that long ago. Right now you can get an oem Colt for $700-725, put cheap plastic handguard and stock on it like the stag/spikes rifle has and still be a $750 or so. Most of us have M4 handguards and buttstocks in a junk box or know someone who does.

So I just don't understand why someone would pay 90% of the price of a Colt for a clone rifle with questionable or at least uncertain parts composition.

Put another way: there was a time a clone was a very substantial discount to what a colt cost. That time is past.

your buddy would be doing good to get 300 bucks used out of his stag or spikes if he needed to. Maybe four hundred on a good day to someone who likes the name or the logo.

The 6920 loses very little in resale if you buy it right. I've never seen a used one for less than 600 that wasn't beat up. And most are much higher.

And if I'm going to build my dream custom rifle, I still wouldn't start with Spikes as I can get the same lowers for less and better lowers for about the same.

When you can get colt and LMT complete lowers in the 275 to 325 range, I use those as a base for builds. Spike's complete lowers are in the same price range and you don't don't know what you're getting. And I guarantee you a build based on the Colt or the LMT will have better resale.

Slater
08-16-18, 08:22
No argument here but many people just don't know or care (or both). Personally I have zero experience with Stag Arms, but they apparently have some sort of warranty which will replace for free any barrel that gets shot out. Of course, that probably won't apply to very many people.

Sidneyious
08-16-18, 08:23
No argument here but many people just don't know or care (or both). Personally I have zero experience with Stag Arms, but they apparently have some sort of warranty which will replace for free any barrel that gets shot out. Of course, that probably won't apply to very many people.That's why I buy solgw, they will replace a gun if it gets taken, destroyed or what have you.

They say it's impossible to void a solgw rifle warranty

EHilderbrand
08-16-18, 09:25
Different type of person posting over there. Primary posters here tend to be a bit more professional with their weapon knowledge. Here is another way to put it, if you had to have a weapon assembled at random for real world use, would you rather have an unknown from arfcom, or an unknown from m4c assemble it?

This post makes me laugh. Probably one of the most unintelligible things I've seen you write over the years actually. Several pages back we have a poster that didn't install the D-Spring or follow simple instructions on his G2S trigger, so that argument sort of flies out the window.

Anyhow, as far as Spike's is concerned, I have a rifle that I put together using all Spike's parts. A standard Spider lower, their LPK(with a G2S including the D-Spring), their receiver extension kit. The upper was a complete mid-length 14.5" lightweight from Aim Surplus purchased back around 2011 or so. Thus far the gun has roughly around 4500+ rounds on it, and has been through two carbine classes, one of which was an John McPhee class in Uniontown, PA in 2017. Zero issues. P-Mags all drop free from Gen 1 to M3. However, I have went back to using USGI Magazines as a standard personally. The rifle in question has been fed a steady diet of mostly 55gr Wolf MC, Federal M193 and Federal M855.

Accuracy is acceptable, I feel that it could group a little tighter, but when you're shooting 3 MOA ammo, it's what you're going to get. I've never shot any premium ammo through it. I should.

The overall quality of the parts appear to be nice. The Bolt is MPI/HPT marked. The staking is nice, the gas key and the carrier are chrome lined. The FSB has taper pins and the over-all measure of quality appears to be present. When I assembled the lower, Spike's LPK was of a high quality, no issues with assembly. Years back on TOS Tom posted documents showing their spec sheets on parts, but they have since disappeared. I own rifles from BCM, Colt, Noveske and of course the above mentioned Spike's, and I favor the BCM. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the Spike's if I had to. YMMV.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4534/38140213611_c460b50c9d_b.jpg

Sidneyious
08-16-18, 09:42
My build on a spikes crusader lower, only 500r so far, no issues and accurate as hell.
I do have a rest now so I can dial it in farther.
Just need the rain to stop so my range can dry out.

http://imgur.com/a/brdGmoX

kenny256
08-16-18, 14:09
This post makes me laugh. Probably one of the most unintelligible things I've seen you write over the years actually. Several pages back we have a poster that didn't install the D-Spring or follow simple instructions on his G2S trigger, so that argument sort of flies out the window.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4534/38140213611_c460b50c9d_b.jpg

Appreciate the unnecessary dig, I did blame the lower, but after I figured out my issue I corrected my statement. I'll make sure to contact you first before I post.

It was not me following simple instructions, if you want the back story as to why those weren't installed i can send you a message, but whatever.

EHilderbrand
08-16-18, 14:25
Appreciate the unnecessary dig, I did blame the lower, but after I figured out my issue I corrected my statement. I'll make sure to contact you first before I post.

It was not me following simple instructions, if you want the back story as to why those weren't installed i can send you a message, but whatever.

It wasn't a dig. It was just the perfect example to retort Stickman and it happened to be in the same thread. Everyone makes mistakes.