PDA

View Full Version : 3d Printer shenanigans

WillBrink
08-03-18, 10:16
No doubt everyone aware of this one. It's interesting to see just how far the media et al willing to go to make people think there's ARs and Glocks (vs sulky single shot junk people can do better in their machine shop at home...) being printed out as we speak. Look at the revolver supposedly found by TSA in this article. One look at that, and you know it does does not function. If it does, it will get one shot, and a high likelihood of a trip to the ER as it explodes in your hand. I suspect someone intentionally planted it for made for chits and giggles. Regardless, I have seen the comments on this "revolver" online as proof of evil 3d guns, which also states:

"In August 2016, TSA officers found a "3D printed realistic replica revolver" and five rounds of .22-caliber ammunition in a carry-on bag at Nevada's Reno-Tahoe International Airport, according to a summary of each of the four incidents released by the agency. The traveler voluntarily abandoned the items."

Comment: looked like .22 Mag bullets to me.

And this gem:

"...3D-printed parts of so-called assault-style weapons known as 'lower receivers' were found in carry-on bags at Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport."

Cont:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/3d-printed-guns-among-weapons-found-at-airport-security-checkpoints/

HeruMew
08-03-18, 10:48
Most infuriating part of my week has been the news talking about this issue.

I was waiting, at Midnight, for Def Distributed's pack, just to find out the judge in Washington blocked them.

So sick of the melarky that comes with it.

The technology has been around for YEARS. People have been doing this for years. Someday, sooner than anyone wants to admit, metal 3d printers will be fabricating a SHITE ton for us. Within another decade, I am betting.

I can't wait to see what happens. I almost, for giggles, went and made a pipe shotgun just to post it on facebook and call people out for being morons.

WillBrink
08-03-18, 11:04

I was waiting, at Midnight, for Def Distributed's pack, just to find out the judge in Washington blocked them.

The technology has been around for YEARS. People have been doing this for years. Someday, sooner than anyone wants to admit, metal 3d printers will be fabricating a SHITE ton for us. Within another decade, I am betting.

I can't wait to see what happens. I almost, for giggles, went and made a pipe shotgun just to post it on facebook and call people out for being morons.

Once 3d fabrications gets to the level of using materials much stronger than the plastics used now, perhaps some type of alloy specific to 3d printing, and it's game over. There's already Rd printers working with biologicals that can literally print an ear. Research continues to be able to print much more complex biological structures such as organs and such. The fact is, it will probably remain cheaper for people to simply make a firearm or other device in a machine shop than what can be produced in a 3d printer, at least for the foreseeable future is my guess. One can only hope bad guys switch to bulky single shot plastic 3d printed guns....

HeruMew
08-03-18, 12:30
Once 3d fabrications gets to the level of using materials much stronger than the plastics used now, perhaps some type of alloy specific to 3d printing, and it's game over. There's already Rd printers working with biologicals that can literally print an ear. Research continues to be able to print much more complex biological structures such as organs and such. The fact is, it will probably remain cheaper for people to simply make a firearm or other device in a machine shop than what can be produced in a 3d printer, at least for the foreseeable future is my guess. One can only hope bad guys switch to bulky single shot plastic 3d printed guns....

In an awkward, uncomfortable way, it'd probably make things safer. I say that as much tongue in cheek as as I do being hypothetical.

Overall, the one thing that gets me the most, is the whole concept of "The Liberator". It is literally so lost on the same "Governments" (as in States and Politicians hopping on the wagon) that are trying to ban them.

It's truly irony at it's finest. When they put the whole single shot at the forefront of "ErMerGerd Ghorst Gurns"

I get it, people's eyes start to glaze over nowadays with the continued talk of something they lack a fundamental understanding of, but boy does it chafe me the wrong way with the idiocy within the statements of some of the people covering it.

Sam
08-03-18, 12:44
I did it, it worked !!!

https://i.imgur.com/bmlSiOX.jpg

Doc Safari
08-03-18, 14:38
No matter what the outcome is of this particular 3D printing incident, the genie is out of the bottle. Anybody with a love of firearms and access to high technology will now look into improving and creating their own designs. There's no way to stop this. The left will counter with ever more draconian legislative and legal proposals, but just like Prohibition didn't work in the 1920's, this will ultimately fail too.

Let freedom ring!

Moose-Knuckle
08-03-18, 14:54
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/940/43112266854_d9b12a5e53_b.jpg

WillBrink
08-03-18, 15:09
I did it, it worked !!!

https://i.imgur.com/bmlSiOX.jpg

Can you make me one in pink? That would be great.

kerplode
08-03-18, 15:13
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/940/43112266854_d9b12a5e53_b.jpg
OMG...Mind BLOWN!

Imagine if some white hitler were to use the google to convert that 3D-Printing Vertical Grip to fully semi-automatic! It could fire 3d printed firearms, each firing while being fired!!!! If they also had a ghost 30 magazine clip and the entire universe might spontaneously implode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We must ban binary code now. For the children.

Alex V
08-03-18, 15:28
I know you liked my meme on FB Will lol
https://i.imgur.com/fgdaVnj.jpg

Had to make this one too
https://i.imgur.com/Pp90RjI.jpg

rero360
08-03-18, 20:50

Check out Markforged Metal X, three machine system for $125,000 will have you printing all the metal gun parts you want (I’d probably stick to relatively non load bearing parts like lowers) aluminum, steel, and soon titanium and a few other metals available to be used for printing.

VARIABLE9
08-04-18, 00:17

I’m pretty sure there are third parties hosting them. You just have to look around.

Moose-Knuckle
08-04-18, 04:45
OMG...Mind BLOWN!

Imagine if some white hitler were to use the google to convert that 3D-Printing Vertical Grip to fully semi-automatic! It could fire 3d printed firearms, each firing while being fired!!!! If they also had a ghost 30 magazine clip and the entire universe might spontaneously implode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We must ban binary code now. For the children.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1834/29969004338_13193cdcc9_b.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
08-04-18, 04:46
As a Trekkie this is by far one of my personal favorites thus far . . . :cool:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1814/43838890671_774fa4ba88_b.jpg

TMS951
08-04-18, 04:59
I just hope this doesn’t kill 80% lowers

223to45
08-04-18, 11:55
I’m pretty sure there are third parties hosting them. You just have to look around.https://www.codeisfreespeech.com

Has some files, don't know if they are the right ones or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VARIABLE9
08-06-18, 09:01
https://www.codeisfreespeech.com

Has some files, don't know if they are the right ones or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

http://gph.is/2cbjAnm

Couldn’t get it to post correctly. That’s a ‘prank caller’ gif from Pulp Fiction.

jpmuscle
08-06-18, 11:06
What happened to all the #NeverBrace folks that were all loosing their collective minds proclaiming pistol braces would be end of SBRs, suppressors, etc?

What if someone were to print their own brace? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
08-06-18, 11:23
What happened to all the #NeverBrace folks that were all loosing their collective minds proclaiming pistol braces would be end of SBRs, suppressors, etc?

What if someone were to print their own brace? [emoji848]

What if someone photoshops a pistol brace on their slidefire stock and... prints it.
Heads will esplode.

HeruMew
08-06-18, 15:00
What if someone photoshops a pistol brace on their slidefire stock and... prints it.
Heads will esplode.

If the first one doesn't get you on a list, the second one just did. :jester:

WillBrink
08-06-18, 15:32
Ghost gun. So, he spent 1500 for a "untraceable" AR using a dedicated milling machine, made by the same group from this OP. I didn't even know there were dedicated milling machines to mill out 80% lowers. It just shows us with modern tech, gun control will only impact those who follow laws. No doubt, a push for a ban is in the works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTojV_NqWCA

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-18, 16:21
It just shows us with modern tech, gun control will only impact those who follow laws. No doubt, a push for a ban is in the works:

Just wait for these idiots to find out you can make a Sten from odds and ends picked up at your local Ace Hardware.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/936/28955459937_dc3564eea2_z.jpg

Renegade
08-06-18, 17:58
Once 3d fabrications gets to the level of using materials much stronger than the plastics used now, perhaps some type of alloy specific to 3d printing, and it's game over.

We are already there. Daniel Defense has been 3D printing silencers for a while, and the Defense industry like Raytheon has been 3D printing Kinetic weapons for some time.

WillBrink
08-06-18, 18:41
We are already there. Daniel Defense has been 3D printing silencers for a while, and the Defense industry like Raytheon has been 3D printing Kinetic weapons for some time.

I meant as non industrial scales. How does DD 3D print a silencer? Any vids? Does not sound cost effective compared to say CnC.

turnburglar
08-06-18, 19:14
I meant as non industrial scales. How does DD 3D print a silencer? Any vids? Does not sound cost effective compared to say CnC.

The way (assuming) metal printing works is you have a box. As the print head passes over the box, one part is dropping the metal powder while the other part of the head is sintering the powder only in the areas that you want printed. as the print head starts at the bottom it builds the model layer by layer until your metal part is pulled from the box of powder. This process goes by many names but Direct Laser Sintering (DLS) or DLM are the two most common names. Because the printer fills the box with powder every single time a part is made, it makes sense to fill your build volume with as many parts as possible. Some of these machines could turn out probably 25-50 supressors each build. Also a huge benefit of 3D printing like this is that you can achieve shapes and designs that are impossible to make on a regular CNC. This would be critical for making a one peice supressor baffel.

Honestly I was surprised to see 3D printed surpressors on the market this quickly, but it doesnt surprise me that it happened.

As far as regular consumer grade 3D printers that typically print in ABS or PLA... these things are NOT up to spec to make functional gun parts. Even if you spec out some super tough polymer like PEEK or PEI (lol good luck printing it) the parts will always be far weaker at the layers than the materials are rated for. Engineers compensate for this by designing the stress on a part to go in a perpendicular direction as the print layers. This means that FDM printed parts are strong in only ONE direction. A typical firearm part sees stress from MANY directions, not only in the firing and cycling process, but also in typical rough handeling.

Now if I took one of those materials I mentioned earlier (Peek, PEI) and injection molded a lower, you would have a VERY useful part. I kinda snicker when I see all those broken polymer lowers. They where just using the wrong polymer.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-06-18, 21:36
There are ways around the layer issue. I've printed mounts (Spigot to swivel nubbin) for Sinclair tactical bipods and some barrier stops. Those that know me know that I can put massive amounts of pressure leaning into a bipod or stop. The key, I've found, is to use something to reinforce the layer adhesion axis. The layers lay down horizontally, so if I leave straight holes in the vertical as I print, I can then come back and put things like wood screws and glue in carbon fiber tubes to reinforce that weak layer issue.

Use 60% plus infill, three perimeters from a 0.4 nozzle, 0.3 layers and a 1.5 base and top.

I leave the screws a little long on the barrier stops towards the front so that the stop has a little 'bite' to it. Conical head screws can be flush.

Maybe a bit Frankenstien, but it has worked for me. You kind of have to plan the part. That can be an issue, especially if you are using a filament printer with out support and you have to worry about overhangs and such.

I'm traveling this week and don't have much with me. Next week I'll post pics the doo-dads that I've worked up so far.

hotrodder636
08-06-18, 23:02
The technology is impressive. I just saw this week a “micro CNC” machine that will mill out 80% lowers, pistol or AR.

Alex V
08-07-18, 10:16
The technology is impressive. I just saw this week a “micro CNC” machine that will mill out 80% lowers, pistol or AR.

Ghost Gunner 2. For $2,000 you too can have a machine mill your own 80% lowers. lol

WillBrink
08-07-18, 10:46

My post above, #21, is what that's about.

turnburglar
08-07-18, 12:23
There are ways around the layer issue. I've printed mounts (Spigot to swivel nubbin) for Sinclair tactical bipods and some barrier stops. Those that know me know that I can put massive amounts of pressure leaning into a bipod or stop. The key, I've found, is to use something to reinforce the layer adhesion axis. The layers lay down horizontally, so if I leave straight holes in the vertical as I print, I can then come back and put things like wood screws and glue in carbon fiber tubes to reinforce that weak layer issue.

Use 60% plus infill, three perimeters from a 0.4 nozzle, 0.3 layers and a 1.5 base and top.

I leave the screws a little long on the barrier stops towards the front so that the stop has a little 'bite' to it. Conical head screws can be flush.

Maybe a bit Frankenstien, but it has worked for me. You kind of have to plan the part. That can be an issue, especially if you are using a filament printer with out support and you have to worry about overhangs and such.

I'm traveling this week and don't have much with me. Next week I'll post pics the doo-dads that I've worked up so far.

Your infill and perimeter settings all sound good, but did you know that you could achieve better layer adhesion if you go with a bigger nozzel and layer path? Something like a 0.6 nozzel laying down 0.5 layers would be tougher layer adhesion for sure. As with 3D printing tuning is neccesary. The part looses some resolution but if you are already willing to do any post print proccessing its a useful trick to increase strength. Another thing you could do is make your part out of the right materials. TPU would probably work well for a bipod that needs loading.

I get what your saying about the wood screws reinforcing the layers. While that technique can work on certain models, Im sure the firearm parts that people want to print like uppers and lowers would be near impossible to do in a similar fashion. 3D printing is excellent for making a physcial version of a CAD file and learning what changes need to be made for the next iteration. Unfortunetly 3D printing cant quite produce functional hard use end user products yet. Atleast not on the desktop sub 3K price range. I am aware of the markforged printers and their fused filament process. While cool it still cant do the complex shapes that 3D printers are famous for, and their patent locked down that technology pretty solidly. So dont expect anyone but them to support it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-07-18, 14:20
PSssst. 0.6? My other printer runs a 0.8 nozzle ;) . I have a tendency to run thinner layers since it seems to help with warping on ABS. Bed adhesion was driving me crazy until went with PETG, buildtack with some glue stick and a bit of heat. Just starting to get back to thicker layers. That 0.8 nozzle at 0.8 layers on a spiralized 'vase setting' cranks stuff out. I'm looking at printing less infill and figuring out a an expanding foamish fill that has fibers in it for better overall physical. There are layer issues, but to me the biggest issue is the slicing and the rendering of small holes and direct measurements. Not so much a calibration thing since gross objects are spot on, but in the past Cura and Slic3r both would undersize holes.

Designing parts is my real issue. Don't do it enough to get good at it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-07-18, 14:46
That is the other thing. Uproar about 3D printing guns- which has huge technical issues- but 'blue prints' for guns - especially AR lowers, have been out for years, and CNC machines that can make usable fire arms. There are videos of a machinist casting a block of brass and aluminium and just using a lower as a template, making an AR10 and AR15 lower.

Cat's been out of the bag for awhile- and it's kittens are 3D printing.

turnburglar
08-07-18, 15:44
That's the other reason I laugh so hard at the 'ghost gun craze'. Real men have been able to make ghost guns in a proper shop, since the first man made a gun in a shop. They forget its 1950's tech sometimes, and some designs are even earlier than that ala 1911. I was just thinking that the issue isnt FDM 3D printing, the issue is most people want a design that was originally intended for forged Aluminium to fit in the exact same form factor as FDM plastics. A propper 3D printed lower could be a reality, it would just have to be designed from the ground up to be optimized for the manufacturing process.

Im using my GI bill to get a BS in aerospace engineering and havent had a good CAD class through my formal degree plan yet. To supplement that I downloaded Fusion 360 (autodesk) on my Mac and took free classes on udemy dot com. Overall I have had some minor buggy issues with fusion, but on the free educational license I cant complain at all. I dont have expereicne with solid works, but from what I hear modeling anything with fusion is dramatcially easier. One guy said something that would take a week to model in soldiworks would take only an afternoon in Fusion.

What materials have you printed? Get to CF nylon or PC yet?

Doc Safari
08-07-18, 15:51
Check out the homemade weapons on these sites:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/10/buyback-mexico-nets-homemade-firearms/

http://weaponsman.com/?p=19208

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/21/homemade-submachine-guns-used-tel-aviv-shooting/

Those sites are just three I picked at random.

Google "homemade guns" in Google images and you'll see that 3D printing is simply adding the prospect of mass production to the improvised firearms trade.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-07-18, 21:43
Getting into Fusion is my end goal for now. I started in Tinkercad and was getting OK with 123Design before the pulled the plug. I have Fusion on my Mac too, I'll try those tutorials you mentioned. When you can do something in Tinkercad, it is amazing. When you want to push the design a bit further- ugh, it is painful.

I don't like PLA- too brittle and I don't like printing with a fan, since that reduces interlayer adhesion. Did a lot in ABS. Made my own ABS filament on a Filastruder. Tried Taulman Nylons. Nylon and ABS were such a pain with warping and bed adhesion. It got to the point with either that I'd print with a brim and then tape the brim down with scotch tape as the head moved around. Not smart or a good solution. I had played with Taulman PET-G before, and liked it ok for 'vase' mode/single-wall extrusion. Thicker things didn't print well and I had to print slow. I don't know if Taulman changed their formula, but I get it to print much better now. I've done some in Taluman PCTPE- and mehhh- it is OK. Frankly not that stretchable.

Want to look at ninjaflex, the carbon fiber filled filaments, the metal filled and soluble supports next.

I have two Printrbots that run on the ceramic UBIS hot ends. I don't feel like re-engineering them both to take new ends. I might mod my single head PB+ to run a E3D V6. I'll probably go with a Prusa Mk3 with the multimaterial modification.

turnburglar
08-08-18, 01:35
check out 3dxtech DOT com. They have all the regular filaments and most of the super exotic stuff that will drive you mad trying to print. I have been putting off buying my first printer because I kept telling myself: "they are getting better and cheaper every year, and I dont think the product has matured enough yet." I think that has finally changed with the creality Cr10 (5-900) and their new ender 3 which can be found under $200.

JusticeM4
08-10-18, 09:57
While the anti's are so obsessed by 3D printed firearms, I wonder if they're also aware how easy it is for criminals to buy normal guns in the black market? why don't they focus on that instead of 3d printing parts, which is not widespread at this point and no criminal is using 3d firearms on a large scale (when they can just more easily buy illegal firearms).

turnburglar
08-15-18, 16:08
So when I was saying earlier that you couldnt just 3D print a lower, I wasnt speaking from personal experience. When I found this video this morning I thought it would be really cool to check out how it went for this guy. He did use a fairly quality printer and a material that is known for being accurate over strong. Yet he still had a ton of dimensional tolerance issues. I honestly thought that the guy who made 3D printing guns famous would have atleast been able to deliver a model that a mag would fit into. Nope. Good luck getting all the other parts to fit, AND last. I could see the reciever breaking near the buffer tube pretty fast as well as the trigger pins walking out their holes pretty fast and locking the gun up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCbYBF5E3rc&t=833s

To skip to the important part go right too 6:15 minutes.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-15-18, 17:10
Holes, holes, holes. I can never get them to print like I design them. The smaller, the more off they are. I don't think it is so much the printer, but the slicer that sends tells the printer where to put plastic. Frankly, to me, anything smaller than 1mm or located with in 1mm is too small for my system to print correctly.

rero360
08-15-18, 18:55
Why not print it sans holes and then drill them out afterwards? I mean if you’re going to have to have secondary operations, I can think of worse.

turnburglar
08-16-18, 10:39
FMCDH- Thats probably because the smaller holes are loosing tolerances to not only the resolution of the slicer and any mechanical innacuracies in printer, but now the thermal shrinkage is affecting the dimensional acccuracy. As you know with ABS it shrinks and warps alot going from a hot nozzle and heated bed to a fully cooled part. In an injection molded part all the cooling happens at once. With FDM printing the cooling happens layer by layer through the part affecting the over all dimensional stability of the part alot. The higher end polymers like PEEK, PPSF, PSU, and PEI dont have the same dimensional stability issues, but now you need a really high end printer capable of handling 400C. Not only does material choice matter so much when it comes to this, but part orientation also plays a roll. Does your particular printer make better circles in the Y or Z axis? With an AR lower you have holes going in every axis which is why it is such a pain to simply print one out. Honestly though until I watched the video I had no idea how bad dimensional stability and tolerances where gonna be on a lower. I thouhght the tiny LPK pieces like detent springs and trigger pins might not fit. I didnt expect the mag well to be THAT bad though.

rero360- I understand doing a little post processing for a 3D printed part, but at some point you will hit diminishing returns and it becomes better to just use a different method to achieve the same results. If your willing to drill precise holes into plastic just get a polymer 80 lower and have fun. The injection molded plastic will be way more useable. If you are trying to be in the camp: "yea but I want to make a lower from NOTHING, I dont even want to go into public to make a ghost gun!!!" then I would say a solid peice of 3x6 in your favorite grain of wood would probably even make a better lower reciever than a typical consumer grade 3D printer can produce. Im a big fan of 3D printing I just dont like to see it over hyped.

rero360
08-16-18, 13:09
turnburglar - I get what you are saying, and totally agree. I started to design a firearm part that I hope to bring to market some day, sent the solidworks file to a friend to has printing capabilities and used that as a proof of concept, had to make some minor changes to get it to the right overall size and shape. Now I just need to regain access to the software so I can run some finite analysis on it and ensure that my design will hold up to the stresses of use and abuse. A mahogany or walnut lower would be pretty awesome looking.

For my part, I figured the three best methods of manufacturing are: 1) forging followed by drilling and taping a hole and some other finishing work (most expensive and labor intensive) 2) using a combination CNC mill and lathe coupled with a bar stock feeder (expensive and labor intensive on initial setup) 3) use the MarkForged Metal X (least expensive but still a lot of money, likely just as labor intensive as option 2, maybe slightly more)

Ultimately though, I don't have the space nor zoning for any of them therefore I would most likely have to farm out the manufacturing once I complete the design. I have considered setting up a kickstarter page to help purchase the equipment and initial raw materials. The more you think about it the more it costs, space rental, machines, tooling, material, insurance, utilities, postage for shipping out finished products, and that's not even taking into consideration coating the finished good (anodizing, bluing, parkerizing, etc)

turnburglar
08-16-18, 13:27
I dont know what the part is, so this may not apply: but in my veeeery limited design and manufacturing experience it makes good business sense to do all the designing and testing on your own, but to sublet out the manufacturing.

Currently every time I jump on my Mac I try and spend the time chipping away at my fusion classes, but I am starting to feel pretty confident in my modeling and should be finishing my final project in the next week or two. When I am done with that I should be starting a new semseter and will be time limited, but I think I should have enough time to make a new BUIS that I have been thinking about for awhile. First I am gonna model it in Fusion 360, and then 3D print the first prototypes. These will be functional prototypes especially if I use nylon or polycarbonate as a BUIS doesnt take too much stress. For final production I would probably end up milling and lathing the design. Of course I wouldnt mill them myself but sub it out.

rero360
08-16-18, 13:35
My part is a section of rail that attaches to the front BUIS and extends in front of and slightly below the rail handguard so that you can mount a DBAL, or a PEQ-15 (I need to bring my part to the armory some time to see if it fits) or other similar devices. Right now my DBAL is on my AR pistol and it makes for a cramped situation, I want to put the pressure tape on top right behind the BUIS but if I move the DBAL closer to the rear, my thumb blocks the IR beam, so I have to wedge the pressure tape in at the 11 o'clock position opposite of the surefire.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-16-18, 16:49
My printer is far better in the x-y than the z, if nothing else than overhangs are tough, especially when you are balancing fan settings for layer adhesion versus overhang dropping.

I think the main issue is that the AR lower is it wasn't designed to be printed. You really need to redesign the parts to avoid the weakness of the production method. On the parts and holes, going to a self contained trigger group like a Timmeny or CNC would reduce the requirement for exact geometry of the pin holes.

Doc Safari
08-16-18, 16:51
My printer is far better in the x-y than the z, if nothing else than overhangs are tough, especially when you are balancing fan settings for layer adhesion versus overhang dropping.

I think the main issue is that the AR lower is it wasn't designed to be printed. You really need to redesign the parts to avoid the weakness of the production method. On the parts and holes, going to a self contained trigger group like a Timmeny or CNC would reduce the requirement for exact geometry of the pin holes.

3D printing is still in its infancy. As improvements are made it will be fine. Today's 3D printing is like the Atari video games of yesteryear. The only thing I can't see the technology overcoming is in metal hardening or anodizing. That may still have to be done the old-fashioned way.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-16-18, 17:09
3D printing is still in its infancy. As improvements are made it will be fine. Today's 3D printing is like the Atari video games of yesteryear. The only thing I can't see the technology overcoming is in metal hardening or anodizing. That may still have to be done the old-fashioned way.

I'd take it a step further. Just trying to replicate past materials, production methods and designs doesn't take advantage of the inherent advantages of 3D(Additive) printing. Multi-materials arrayed in complex forms in designs that can be one-of-a-kind made anywhere are the changes that will have to be exploited to get the best advantages. I think ceramics are going to make a comeback, especially composites and in geopolymer versions that are low/no temp processed. You make something out of silica, powered by solar energy and you are outside the carbon cycle.

3D printer tech has really stalled, at least on the DIY front. Multimaterial was the latest a few years ago and nothing has really come since. The laser sintered plastics are cool, but you are talking $5k plus.

Lulzbot did just start talking about a new model of printer (same Filament tech) designed from the get-go for smaller printing more accurately. It would be interesting to see that small nozzle and whatever tweaks for accuracy they did on the gantry system paired with a 0.6 hoser nozzle for non-critical dimension areas.

Doc Safari
08-16-18, 17:11
I'd take it a step further. Just trying to replicate past materials, production methods and designs doesn't take advantage of the inherent advantages of 3D(Additive) printing. Multi-materials arrayed in complex forms in designs that can be one-of-a-kind made anywhere are the changes that will have to be exploited to get the best advantages. I think ceramics are going to make a comeback, especially composites and in geopolymer versions that are low/no temp processed. You make something out of silica, powered by solar energy and you are outside the carbon cycle.

3D printer tech has really stalled, at least on the DIY front. Multimaterial was the latest a few years ago and nothing has really come since. The laser sintered plastics are cool, but you are talking $5k plus.

Lulzbot did just start talking about a new model of printer (same Filament tech) designed from the get-go for smaller printing more accurately. It would be interesting to see that small nozzle and whatever tweaks for accuracy they did on the gantry system paired with a 0.6 hoser nozzle for non-critical dimension areas.

Twisted people with money will perfect it. Always have.

Imagine a lower receiver redesigned with some type of high tech ceramic or laminated material that's almost indestructible. That's what's coming.

jpmuscle
08-16-18, 20:51
Twisted people with money will perfect it. Always have.

Imagine a lower receiver redesigned with some type of high tech ceramic or laminated material that's almost indestructible. That's what's coming.

Why is circumventing stupid laws twisted?

Doc Safari
08-17-18, 09:08
Why is circumventing stupid laws twisted?

I meant twisted in the good sense. Geniuses are often a little weird and twisted.

WillBrink
08-17-18, 09:41

Some metallic carbon nano wonder polymer will be developed that once hardened, stronger and lighter than steel. Materials science is also improving so fast, it's hard to keep up with.

jpmuscle
08-17-18, 13:48
I meant twisted in the good sense. Geniuses are often a little weird and twisted.

Ah, copy. Carry on

turnburglar
08-21-18, 14:31

No it's not. FDM 3d printing was first done in 1986 at MiT. The hardware we use today isnt much different than what they first used. The only reason its exploded since 2015 is because a patent wore off. That and in the early 90's doing CAD would have been a significant part of the process that a regular consumer wouldnt have been able to handle. The only reason today that consumers can kind of handle CAD files is because of the cloud and the raw processing power that even a laptop has compared to any kind of desktop pro-sumer device available to anyone in the early 90's when we should have had 3D printers.

When I was talking to FMCDH earlier in the thread I mentioned polymers like PEI, PEEK, and PSU. These are already being used in aerospace to replace Alumiunum and Steel in many applications. Infact you may have seen these plastics in a 747 and not have even realised they where something special. They can readily be found around the cabin, and are used in commercial air for their inherent flame resistance. These materials are already readily printable on a true commerial class 3D printer. A consumer/Pro-sumer grade printer will need a little to a lot of modifications to print these materials but it is possible. NASA even did a little study on it:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20170000214&hterms=3d+printing+pei&qs=N%3D0%26Ntk%3DAll%26Ntt%3D3d%2520printing%2520pei%26Ntx%3Dmode%2520matchallpartial