PDA

View Full Version : S&W ????

KWACKERB279
10-27-08, 22:00
A buddy of mine is picking up a S&W M&P15, what's the consensus on these since the chart is gone?

austinN4
10-28-08, 06:48
A buddy of mine is picking up a S&W M&P15, what's the consensus on these since the chart is gone?They are a mid-tier along with Daly Defense and Saber. I had a 15A, which was a decent AR. The only reason I sold it was to fund my Noveske. He will be GTG with a recent build, say 70XXX and up. Some of the lower numbers had some problems, but nothing huge. If you want to research this just do a search here.

SwatDawg15
10-29-08, 00:18
A buddy of mine is picking up a S&W M&P15, what's the consensus on these since the chart is gone?

I have an early one s/n 096**. The only thing I have found is it dont have the M4 feedramps. (No big deal). I have had no issues to date with my rifle. The newer ones are GTG out the box. Some of the mid range s/n #'s had problems taking P-Mags, but that has been addressed. I have been reading that quiet a few LMT's are having that same ordeal with the P-Mags. Anyway, they were 3rd or 4th on the chart, to the right of COLT, LMT, NOV,

akgunnut
10-29-08, 05:42
I bought an M&P15 last month, and I can say I'm proud to own it. IIRC the earlier ones lacked M4 feed ramps, but the later models have them. My # is 80xxxx and it appears to have M4 feed ramps, along with a properly staked gas key. I've only ran eighty rounds through it, and not a single problem. Accuracy was better than I expected too! The M&P15 is a good buy IMO. :)

markm
10-29-08, 08:10
The chart is gone?

SingleStacker45
10-29-08, 08:23
I've got maybe a thousand rounds through my 15T and no hiccups. Very happy. My serial no is 74xxx. I run both GI with magpul followers and PMags without issue.

Mule

mario
10-29-08, 08:59
I'm very happy with mine. Fit & finish are first class and IIRC it scored relatively high on the chart

Gewehr455
10-29-08, 09:29
I like mine. Serial number is 81,000 range. Properly staked gas key and M4 ramps. First range session was 200 trouble free rounds, including several different types of Russian steel case 5.56. My only complaint would be a slightly loose upper to lower receiver fit. Overall a great AR for the money in my opinion.

Damascus
10-29-08, 14:37
I have a M&P15 T, the version with the mid-length Troy quad rail handguard, sights, etc. It is a top-tier AR, and is the best, or at least my favorite AR15 out there. When I was shopping for an AR, I was going to get an LMT, but decided that I wanted the 15T because I wanted a 1/9" twist instead of the LMT's 1/7".
My brother has a Colt LE6920, and my best shooting buddy has a Noveske N4 - and my 15T can outshoot them both. I am talking 5 shot groups at 100 yards using the ammo that particular rifle likes the best. Mine is shooting the best with 69gr. Sierra Matchkings, and averages about .49". This is the only rifle I own that I would never ever sell, no matter what.
Mine is a 70xxx series S/N, so it has all the fixes. The earliest ones used Stag lowers, and had bolt on gas blocks. After 50xxx, the lowers were S&W made. Then, after 70, they switched to pin-on gas blocks. (if I am wrong, someone please correct me on the S/N timeline).
If you buy one that's been made recently, it is the best 1/9" twist carbine you can buy, IMHO, and one of the best carbines of any config, period.
I'm not new to the AR game, and I've owned dozens, but I have NEVER seen one shoot this tight with a lightweight 16" barrel, chrome lined to boot... Now, I haven't fired the base M&P15's or 15A's. but another friend of mine recently purchased a 15X, and it's also been a flawless rifle. He took it to a local carbine course last month, and put roughly 2500 rounds through it in one weekend, and never had one single hiccup.
If you buy one, you won't be disappointed.

MisterWilson
10-29-08, 14:51
The chart is gone?

Someone take their ball & go home?

USMGoldenEagle
10-29-08, 16:00
I have a M&P15 T, the version with the mid-length Troy quad rail handguard, sights, etc. It is a top-tier AR, and is the best, or at least my favorite AR15 out there. When I was shopping for an AR, I was going to get an LMT, but decided that I wanted the 15T because I wanted a 1/9" twist instead of the LMT's 1/7".
My brother has a Colt LE6920, and my best shooting buddy has a Noveske N4 - and my 15T can outshoot them both. I am talking 5 shot groups at 100 yards using the ammo that particular rifle likes the best. Mine is shooting the best with 69gr. Sierra Matchkings, and averages about .49". This is the only rifle I own that I would never ever sell, no matter what.
Mine is a 70xxx series S/N, so it has all the fixes. The earliest ones used Stag lowers, and had bolt on gas blocks. After 50xxx, the lowers were S&W made. Then, after 70, they switched to pin-on gas blocks. (if I am wrong, someone please correct me on the S/N timeline).
If you buy one that's been made recently, it is the best 1/9" twist carbine you can buy, IMHO, and one of the best carbines of any config, period.
I'm not new to the AR game, and I've owned dozens, but I have NEVER seen one shoot this tight with a lightweight 16" barrel, chrome lined to boot... Now, I haven't fired the base M&P15's or 15A's. but another friend of mine recently purchased a 15X, and it's also been a flawless rifle. He took it to a local carbine course last month, and put roughly 2500 rounds through it in one weekend, and never had one single hiccup.
If you buy one, you won't be disappointed.

I love reading this....especially since I just purchased a new M&P 15!

L.F.O.D
10-29-08, 18:19
I love my M&p i have the one wit the troy BUIS and the F front. I have to say this thing is smooth. And i hope to get T model but the Dems could spoil that. So if you have the $$ and are looking then look hard at S&W.;)

Damascus
10-29-08, 19:26
Yep, you guys should definately get one before the "Muslim Revolution"... I started to get a plain M&P15A - but then got to thinking how good the deal was to go ahead and get the T model - you get the Troy sights and Troy mid-length MRF quad rail for an extra $330 or so - heck, the freakin' sights are worth $250!
Here's a pic of mine, I added a Magpul CTR stock, Magpul low profile OD green rail protectors, LaRue bipod adapter w/ Harris BRM, G27 grip, and LaRue 4XDOS ACOG QD mount (not pictured, getting re-finished) and ACOG 4x32 TA01NSN.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/Damascus_747/MP_1.jpg

KWACKERB279
10-29-08, 20:32
Thanks everyone, sounds like he's goona be pretty happy.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-06-08, 20:08
Yep, you guys should definately get one before the "Muslim Revolution"... I started to get a plain M&P15A - but then got to thinking how good the deal was to go ahead and get the T model - you get the Troy sights and Troy mid-length MRF quad rail for an extra $330 or so - heck, the freakin' sights are worth $250!
Here's a pic of mine, I added a Magpul CTR stock, Magpul low profile OD green rail protectors, LaRue bipod adapter w/ Harris BRM, G27 grip, and LaRue 4XDOS ACOG QD mount (not pictured, getting re-finished) and ACOG 4x32 TA01NSN.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/Damascus_747/MP_1.jpg

Damascus: Took your advice: Went out and scored one the other day, instead of the AR Pistol I had been considering. The M&P has the features from "THE LIST" that my Bushmaster was lacking from the factory - definitely an improvement, since it saves me a trip to the 'Smith for this'un.

The M&P is the heat.

In another thread, I'm trying to figure out what to do in terms of add-ons, since I went for the base model...