PDA

View Full Version : On music...

Slater
08-04-18, 18:19
I'm 58 years old and grew up with what is now called "classic rock". Bob Seger was a mainstay back then. Listening to some old Seger on the radio today, it seems like those old tunes would fit in with the current country music sound in many cases. Accurate or way off base?

OH58D
08-04-18, 22:39
For me, Seger is much better than any modern country music. I'm 58 as well (Feb 1960). Back in the 1970's went to visit cousins in San Diego and went to a lot of concerts in southern California: Crosby, Stills, Nash, Three Dog Night, Guess Who, Led Zeppelin, etc. Met John Densmore, formerly of The Doors and I have an autographed Drum Head by him hanging on the wall. Cool dude.

A lot of people remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from the movie A Pack O'Lies Now (that's what Army aviators called it) when they think of Air Cav. When I was with the Night Stalkers early on, I carried a cassette player loaded with a tape of Zeppelin or Steppenwolf, and we'd hammer down with Magic Carpet Ride. I miss those days.

LMT Shooter
08-04-18, 23:05
I think the delineation between music genres is a lot like gender nowadays, call yourself whatever you like. This so-called country shit where they're rapping makes me sick. A lot of newer country music would've fit in well years ago in the rock music genre, to me anyways.

Bob Seger kicks ass. One of the greatest ever, and most underrated. How many other artists have a career spanning 6 decades?

OH58D
08-04-18, 23:13
I think the delineation between music genres is a lot like gender nowadays, call yourself whatever you like. This so-called country shit where they're rapping makes me sick. A lot of newer country music would've fit in well years ago in the rock music genre, to me anyways.

Bob Seger kicks ass. One of the greatest ever, and most underrated. How many other artists have a career spanning 6 decades?
Where Country Music went off the rails with performers who know nothing about living in the "country", Bluegrass still has remained genuine and I enjoy listening to it. Out here in Cowboy Country, there's a lot of Texas Swing type of music which is popular; yes we have Hoedowns and Square Dances.

A lot of modern country all sounds the same. You just have to fill in a few blank spots with: Drinkin', Cheatin', Whoring, Pickup trucks and a dirt road; toss in a cowboy hat for good measure. Come up with catchy name for the group (Little Big Town for example) and the performers look like a bunch prison tatooed punks or garage band Gen X flunkies who couldn't cut it in rock, so they sell out, develop a twang in their singing, and find a less critical fan base in country. Most of the new ones don't even use the old classic steel guitar.

Some of these "country" stars wear hats with about 15 coats of back lacquer paint covering the thing, for what reason I don't know. Maybe it's made out of kevlar to protect the head from disgruntled fans throwing objects? I'd like to have a day with some of these new country stars and let them really experience the country: shoveling horse shit, tossing bales of hay and some roping of calves on horseback. After an hour or so, they'd be begging to fly back to their "Little Big Town" via a Gulfstream Jet and manicured, doric columned mansions outside of Nashville.

Honu
08-05-18, 01:27
country these days seems to be hollywood types acting a certain way to make money ? but I could be wrong just the way they act what they do etc...

I am 55 but was more into the whole punk rock scene from hard core to the main stream like Clash etc..

my brother who is 60 was more into the rock side of things he also was into souther rock quite a bit

AKDoug
08-05-18, 02:08
Where Country Music went off the rails with performers who know nothing about living in the "country", Bluegrass still has remained genuine and I enjoy listening to it. Out here in Cowboy Country, there's a lot of Texas Swing type of music which is popular; yes we have Hoedowns and Square Dances.

A lot of modern country all sounds the same. You just have to fill in a few blank spots with: Drinkin', Cheatin', Whoring, Pickup trucks and a dirt road; toss in a cowboy hat for good measure. Come up with catchy name for the group (Little Big Town for example) and the performers look like a bunch prison tatooed punks or garage band Gen X flunkies who couldn't cut it in rock, so they sell out, develop a twang in their singing, and find a less critical fan base in country. Most of the new ones don't even use the old classic steel guitar.

Some of these "country" stars wear hats with about 15 coats of back lacquer paint covering the thing, for what reason I don't know. Maybe it's made out of kevlar to protect the head from disgruntled fans throwing objects? I'd like to have a day with some of these new country stars and let them really experience the country: shoveling horse shit, tossing bales of hay and some roping of calves on horseback. After an hour or so, they'd be begging to fly back to their "Little Big Town" via a Gulfstream Jet and manicured, doric columned mansions outside of Nashville.

Not sure why you're hacking on "Little Big Town".. they've been around for 20 years and have performed with very little drama and a reasonable amount of talent. Very much more talented then many of the current crop of singers.

I'm also not sure when country music wasn't full of drinkin' and cheatin'.... unless you want to go back further than Hank Williams Sr. I don't think he ever shoveled shit either and his was a massive alcoholic and druggy. David Allan Coe was worse and never grew up in the country. The only two successful musicians that were working cowboys that I know of are George Strait and Chris LeDoux (I'm sure there are more). Guys that made great music like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Alan Jackson, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, and Willy Nelson didn't grow up in the country either.

Slater
08-05-18, 08:44
Back in the day we had the Southern rock sound with Lynrd Skynrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, .38 Special, etc.

OH58D
08-05-18, 09:33
Not sure why you're hacking on "Little Big Town".. they've been around for 20 years and have performed with very little drama and a reasonable amount of talent. Very much more talented then many of the current crop of singers.

I'm also not sure when country music wasn't full of drinkin' and cheatin'.... unless you want to go back further than Hank Williams Sr. I don't think he ever shoveled shit either and his was a massive alcoholic and druggy. David Allan Coe was worse and never grew up in the country. The only two successful musicians that were working cowboys that I know of are George Strait and Chris LeDoux (I'm sure there are more). Guys that made great music like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Alan Jackson, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, and Willy Nelson didn't grow up in the country either.
Country Music is really a set formula with a few basic themes. There is not one single Country group/performer I totally enjoy, but a lot of the groups/performers may have one tune I really like, and that's it. It's different than my collection of Beatle, Zeppelin, Clapton and others from the Pop/Rock era where a single album could have several songs which made the purchase worthwhile.

But with Country, I may really like one or two Alan Jackson songs, one Randy Travis, one Toby Keith, one Dwight Yoakam and so on. If asked right now, I could not give you the name of a song by a group like Florida Georgia Line, or is it Georgia Florida Line? They start to all sound the same. Thank God for the internet where I can look up one individual song and add it to my play list. And yes, I am old fashioned because I'll still burn a playlist to CD to play in my truck.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference and individual taste since in addition to my large vinyl/cd collection of Pop/Rock includes a vast array of music from the Baroque music and into the Rococo art period; a time of music sometimes called Barococo. I am sort of an audiophile, still using a Denon Rosewood turntable and McIntosh gear running thru Dahlquist speakers.

WillBrink
08-05-18, 09:36
I'm 58 years old and grew up with what is now called "classic rock". Bob Seger was a mainstay back then. Listening to some old Seger on the radio today, it seems like those old tunes would fit in with the current country music sound in many cases. Accurate or way off base?

I don't see the connection personally. Modern country is pop with cowboy hats now. I was not a big Seger fan, but he was leagues above what passes for country today. What modern country tune reminds you of Seger?

OH58D
08-05-18, 10:00
I don't see the connection personally. Modern country is pop with cowboy hats now. I was not a big Seger fan, but he was leagues above what passes for country today. What modern country tune reminds you of Seger?
With Seger, I don't think Country, but maybe a hint of Country Rock? However, Night Moves is one of my favorites. In January 1977 Saturday Night Live aired an unofficial music video with Night Moves as the music track. It was great but I have not seen it since.

Slater
08-05-18, 10:19

Bob Seger is classic rock. Some (many?) country tunes that I've heard today would probably fit in that genre if played on the air in 1978.

556Cliff
08-05-18, 10:20
Current pop is horrible, but current country is even worse.

I find that if pop music is playing on the radio in the background it's mind numbingly bad, but country music makes my ears bleed.

I really hate 80's hair band stuff, rap and metal too.

Arik
08-05-18, 13:23
yes, I am old fashioned because I'll still burn a playlist to CD to play in my truck.

I've got no dog in this but damn.... since when did the phrases "old fashioned" and "burning CDs" go together?! I feel old now and I was burning CDs in highschool!!! [emoji16]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AKDoug
08-05-18, 14:27
Current pop is horrible, but current country is even worse.

I find that if pop music is playing on the radio in the background it's mind numbingly bad, but country music makes my ears bleed.

I really hate 80's hair band stuff, rap and metal too.

Damn.. the 80's produced Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.. it wasn't that bad.

RetroRevolver77
08-05-18, 14:38
I'm 40 but I grew up listening mostly to classic rock or southern rock. I do like some bands from the 80's and 90's. My wife grew up in a foreign country but somehow she's all into classic rock and country music- which is good because I can't stand any newer stuff that's out. She goes through these stages listening to different bands which is kind of fun because a lot of the stuff she's listening to for the first time, her current favorite band is CCR for some odd reason.

Slater
08-05-18, 14:40
In the late 1970's (and OH58D may recall this) there was a certain animosity between the rock and disco crowds. That ended when disco officially died somewhere around 1980-1981.

WillBrink
08-05-18, 15:00
Bob Seger is classic rock. Some (many?) country tunes that I've heard today would probably fit in that genre if played on the air in 1978.

You'd have to give an example as I can't think of any modern country that reminds me of anything close to classic rock of Seger.

OH58D
08-05-18, 15:18
I've got no dog in this but damn.... since when did the phrases "old fashioned" and "burning CDs" go together?! I feel old now and I was burning CDs in highschool!!! [emoji16]

Keep in mind I graduated from High School in 1978, and I enjoyed the transition from 8 Track to Cassette tapes. Got my first CD player in 1985. Everything now is The Cloud or storing music on a Smart Phone. I still use a Kyrocera Durable type of flip phone because I need something that can take a beating. Smart phones are too fragile for my lifestyle.

I have been recently using a professional level blu-ray burner transferring a lot of Hi-8 and Minidv video to blu-ray. I also take all of my digital photos and store them on CD or Blu-ray. They take up space but I like the archive aspects of those formats.

But back to music, as soon as my wife and daughter (in high school) get in the truck when going to town, they either plug in a USB from their smartphone or connect via bluetooth. I only use bluetooth to connect my flip phone to the truck for handsfree operation. Once someone asked me if I had bluetooth. I told them that I once had blue lips and a blue tongue after enjoying a blueberry flavored snowcone. They had a stunned look on their face.

TXBK
08-05-18, 15:28
Y’all have listened to the wrong Country. Country music now comes from from Texas. That crap from Nashville is Pop.

Honu
08-05-18, 15:40
Keep in mind I graduated from High School in 1978, and I enjoyed the transition from 8 Track to Cassette tapes. Got my first CD player in 1985. Everything now is The Cloud or storing music on a Smart Phone. I still use a Kyrocera Durable type of flip phone because I need something that can take a beating. Smart phones are too fragile for my lifestyle.

I have been recently using a professional level blu-ray burner transferring a lot of Hi-8 and Minidv video to blu-ray. I also take all of my digital photos and store them on CD or Blu-ray. They take up space but I like the archive aspects of those formats.

But back to music, as soon as my wife and daughter (in high school) get in the truck when going to town, they either plug in a USB from their smartphone or connect via bluetooth. I only use bluetooth to connect my flip phone to the truck for handsfree operation. Once someone asked me if I had bluetooth. I told them that I once had blue lips and a blue tongue after enjoying a blueberry flavored snowcone. They had a stunned look on their face.

disc rot :)

discs are a fine thing but they are not perfect and the rot does happen

keeping digital data moving forward onto current media also is a good thing so new HDD

sadly nothing is perfect so not saying its a good step in saving :) just for sure have another method or two

not sure when discs will go away but I reckon they will with USB sticks being so popular and flash type memory being the more common method of storage and delivery

not saying to move music to that just saying many computers do not bother with discs anymore many home theaters do not bother with them anymore and distribution is not what it was so like the floppy and zip or jazz drives or other media we once used they will go away

OH58D
08-05-18, 16:26

keeping digital data moving forward onto current media also is a good thing so new HDD

sadly nothing is perfect so not saying its a good step in saving :) just for sure have another method or two

not sure when discs will go away but I reckon they will with USB sticks being so popular and flash type memory being the more common method of storage and delivery

not saying to move music to that just saying many computers do not bother with discs anymore many home theaters do not bother with them anymore and distribution is not what it was so like the floppy and zip or jazz drives or other media we once used they will go away
So what's the lifespan of a cd/dvd/blu-ray if kept out of the heat and high humidity? Are we at a point where an entire generation or two of music/imaging will be lost to future generations?

Regarding music, I've been thinking about this thread. Back in the 1970's, those of us listening to 60's-70's Pop/Rock knew all the intricate details of the band and the names of their members. You knew David Crosby went from the Byrds to eventually teaming up with Stills, Nash & Young. I personally saw Crosby-Stills-Nash at a concert in December 1969 with some older cousins. You knew about Clapton and the evolution from Cream to his solo career. You don't get the same thing with Country Fans. You ask them about the band members/vocalists and they can maybe name a lead singer...and that's it.

I get immense joy asking fans of Rascal-Flatts to point out in a picture and identify which one is the Rascal, and which one is Flatts. I do like a couple of their songs, but I know nothing about the members or their history.

People who know me personally find out when it comes to contemporary culture, I am a mix of Hawkeye Pierce from MASH and George Carlin. I saw Carlin live in 1981 in Arizona and I always liked his perspective. I only wish he was alive now and able to analyze where our society has gone. I detest the overuse of technology and how people interact. When I was a teenager, it was looking into the eyes of another person, a warm embrace and friendly conversation.

Now people trudge through life with a device in their right hand, eyes down looking at the thing, and making or losing friends with the click of a button. I defy that culture. When somebody asks me to "Like Us on Facebook" I just want to say "F^%$ Off". I don't define my life by a $600 telephone and how many "friends" I have on Facebook (I don't do it), nor do I do Twitter or Instagram. Maybe you get an idea of this since I've been here going on 10 years, and I've only got a little over 1000 posts. I live and work in a beautiful part of the world, and my life is not controlled or defined by modern technology.

Arik
08-05-18, 17:41
So what's the lifespan of a cd/dvd/blu-ray if kept out of the heat and high humidity? Are we at a point where an entire generation or two of music/imaging will be lost to future generations?

Regarding music, I've been thinking about this thread. Back in the 1970's, those of us listening to 60's-70's Pop/Rock knew all the intricate details of the band and the names of their members. You knew David Crosby went from the Byrds to eventually teaming up with Stills, Nash & Young. I personally saw Crosby-Stills-Nash at a concert in December 1969 with some older cousins. You knew about Clapton and the evolution from Cream to his solo career. You don't get the same thing with Country Fans. You ask them about the band members/vocalists and they can maybe name a lead singer...and that's it.

I get immense joy asking fans of Rascal-Flatts to point out in a picture and identify which one is the Rascal, and which one is Flatts. I do like a couple of their songs, but I know nothing about the members or their history.

People who know me personally find out when it comes to contemporary culture, I am a mix of Hawkeye Pierce from MASH and George Carlin. I saw Carlin live in 1981 in Arizona and I always liked his perspective. I only wish he was alive now and able to analyze where our society has gone. I detest the overuse of technology and how people interact. When I was a teenager, it was looking into the eyes of another person, a warm embrace and friendly conversation.

Now people trudge through life with a device in their right hand, eyes down looking at the thing, and making or losing friends with the click of a button. I defy that culture. When somebody asks me to "Like Us on Facebook" I just want to say "F^%$ Off". I don't define my life by a $600 telephone and how many "friends" I have on Facebook (I don't do it), nor do I do Twitter or Instagram. Maybe you get an idea of this since I've been here going on 10 years, and I've only got a little over 1000 posts. I live and work in a beautiful part of the world, and my life is not controlled or defined by modern technology.I doubt anything will be lost as we can still get music from the 1st half of the century. If it was made it was recorded somewhere on something and will just be released in whatever the current format would be.

As far as the topic goes. I don't have any serious favorites. I'd rather not listen to rap or country but if either are on I'm kinda... whatever... about it and music in general. I don't have any home music collection except for a few CDs I bought as a teen laying around in some box. I listen to one station in my car and it's mostly just for background music. The station plays classic rock from the 60s - 80s.

556Cliff
08-05-18, 18:08

I really get this... Fans of current pop music and fans of current country music don't know anything about the other members of the band except the lead singer, and they change the other members out all the time because it doesn't seem to matter to their fan base. They are too distracted by all of the multi colored flashing lights and all of the dancers that do their job to distract them from the terrible music and illuminati symbolism.

Of the very few bands that I follow the other members of the band are just as important to me as the lead, and when they get replaced I take notice and I'm usually not to thrilled about the change, especially when it comes to the drummers.

Honu
08-05-18, 21:36

Now people trudge through life with a device in their right hand, eyes down looking at the thing, and making or losing friends with the click of a button. I defy that culture. When somebody asks me to "Like Us on Facebook" I just want to say "F^%$ Off". I don't define my life by a $600 telephone and how many "friends" I have on Facebook (I don't do it), nor do I do Twitter or Instagram. Maybe you get an idea of this since I've been here going on 10 years, and I've only got a little over 1000 posts. I live and work in a beautiful part of the world, and my life is not controlled or defined by modern technology.

lifespan varies ? I think rot is rare but I have had it on a few discs and a while ago I just quit using them mainly do to capacity and what I do as a photographer but I had backups of HDD all the time

if you google and read again rare it happens but its more just in case you only have one copy of something rare such as photos or some live event you had just make sure you have it on a few other types of media and all is good

scanning my dads old negatives from Korean war quite a few have gone bad sadly

some of my slides from even the late 70s early 80s have faded some and changed color so reckon nothing is for ever etc.. ditto the other post wont be lost music wise as everything will be around most likely in some form

my old records are still around do not use them ? they are in another home anyway but my brother is a huge vinyl fan

my CDs I ripped everything but keep the CD with the sleeve in a thin type sleeve rather than original cover same as my movies etc..
games these days since they have a very short play life anyway I just get digital editions

WillBrink
08-06-18, 08:28
So what's the lifespan of a cd/dvd/blu-ray if kept out of the heat and high humidity? .

I have some CDs, at about 30 years and they look/work fine. I'd think under proper conditions, as long or longer than LPs no?

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 10:02

Accurate. Country has gradually become more rock. Originally rock and country were hard to distinguish. Listen to early Carl Perkins, or the Everly Brothers. With today's ear, those artists could fit both categories. The lines have always been blurred at times: the Beatles and Rolling Stones did some country tunes, albeit they certainly wouldn't be played on the radio alongside George Jones or Conway Twitty. But bands like the Eagles made it cool to incorporate country sounds into rock tunes. You might hear a straight-ahead country song right alongside a rocker on an Eagles or a Creedence Clearwater Revival album. So it went the other way too: country artists more and more became unabashed rockers. I think it was Marty Stewart on TV a few months or years ago that sounded like he would be right at home alongside some of the straight ahead rock bands. Check out the Georgia Satellites for an obviously country lead vocal with a hard rock backing.

I think the worst genre next to rap, though, has to be what they call "Bro Country." It incorporates some of the worst excesses of party rock and rap with an emphasis on having a good time, getting drunk, etc.

I think every Florida-Georgia-Line record should be used for target practice. Just MHO.

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 10:06

I think disc rot is overhyped. I have CD's from the 80's that still look pristine and play just fine. It's all in how you treat them/store them.

CD's are obsolete, but even LP's made a comeback after they were written off as dead. I don't think cassettes or 8-tracks have a future, but CD's will have a niche market like LP's.

Slater
08-06-18, 10:32
Linda Ronstadt and Juice Newton had one foot in each genre. In fact, some of Linda's old tunes from the 1970's would fit right in with today's country.

Tx_Aggie
08-06-18, 11:00
Y’all have listened to the wrong Country. Country music now comes from from Texas. That crap from Nashville is Pop.

Damn straight. Texas, Oklahoma, and Oregon are where it's at if you're looking for folks keeping the roots of country music alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsEXsvLTGeE

Another song from the same session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpV4BrdU9NI

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 11:01
Linda Ronstadt and Juice Newton had one foot in each genre. In fact, some of Linda's old tunes from the 1970's would fit right in with today's country.

Both of those artists were played on country AND rock stations in their heyday.

OH58D
08-06-18, 11:53
Also consider someone like the late Louis Charles "BW" Stevenson from the 1970's. He was a Texas performer whose music fell somewhere between Country and Country Rock. He released "My Maria" which was years later redone by Brooks & Dunn. Stevenson also did "Shambala", which was eclipsed by the Three Dog Night version.

Sometimes you have performers who just can't be placed in a category. Case in point is Klein, Texas native, Lyle Lovett. He's country, but not mainstream. His style of music is popular in eastern New Mexico and rural Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MugYqZyEKA

26 Inf
08-06-18, 12:02
Also consider someone like the late Louis Charles "BW" Stevenson from the 1970's. He was a Texas performer whose music fell somewhere between Country and Country Rock. He released "My Maria" which was years later redone by Brooks & Dunn. Stevenson also did "Shambala", which was eclipsed by the Three Dog Night version.

Sometimes you have performers who just can't be placed in a category.

It used to be called 'Country-Western' and I've always thought artists like The Son's of the Pioneers and Marty Robbins were definitely of the Western persuasion.

Not a lot of whining or bragging in their songs, just facts and stories.

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-18, 13:54
A lot of people remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from the movie A Pack O'Lies Now (that's what Army aviators called it) when they think of Air Cav. When I was with the Night Stalkers early on, I carried a cassette player loaded with a tape of Zeppelin or Steppenwolf, and we'd hammer down with Magic Carpet Ride. I miss those days.

That is pure tits!

I saw this t-shirt the other day that reminded me of you and was going to shoot you a PM but here's the link, your post reminded me of it.

I dig the 80's Miami Vice theme for the MH-6.
https://www.refactortactical.com/collections/apparel/products/saturaids?variant=44360416020

ETA:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1812/43172176464_9f331e8306.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-18, 14:08
I don't see the connection personally.

Nor do I. I always thought Bob Seger was classic rock not county, I'm in my 30's.

I listen to a classic country station and yeah they never play Seger but the classic rock station does.

As for blurred lines there is a reason my favorite singer of all time, Johnny Cash is in both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame.

IMHO modern country was ruined back in the 90's by Garth Brooks and all that followed him in that decade, ****ing Billy Ray Cyrus, etc.

In fact this is why King George (peace be upon him and his) made the film Pure Country and based his Dusty character off several of the artist of the day such as Garth Brooks who brought pyrotechnics and cable acrobats to country music.

I knew mainstream country was dead in the early 2000's when metro-sexual pop shit like Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts came on the scene. :suicide:

King George and Alan Jackson (good friends in real life) even went as far as to make Murder on Music Row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHzhvIGNuG4

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 14:18
Keep in mind that what genre an artist belongs to depends on what the music industry says, too. Sometimes crossovers happen, sometimes they don't.

TXBK
08-06-18, 14:47
I think that Texas Country and Red Dirt (from Oklahoma) appeals to me so much, because most of the singer/songwriters are heavily influenced by classic country and classic rock.

95.9 The Ranch (KFWR) (http://www.959theranch.com/) is a station out of Ft. Worth that plays this stuff. You can listen to it live on the internet, and they have an app that will stream it on your phone. They play Texas Country and Red Dirt, but you'll also hear Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, Willie, Waylon, Lyle Lovett, and others. Cross Canadian Ragweed once had some swag that said, "Smells like Country, tastes like Rock n Roll". I think that pretty fitting for what a lot of Texas Country and Red Dirt sounds like.

95.3 The Range (KHYI) (http://khyi.com/) is over in Dallas. The are more geared towards Americana and Classic Country, but they also play Texas Country and Red Dirt. You can listen to them from anywhere with an internet connection, as well.

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 14:53
People like my dad would shit down both legs if someone even as "rock" as the Allman Brothers got played on the same radio station as Merle Haggard. Then you go the other extreme and a lot of rock fans both love and respect Johnny Cash. Somewhere in the middle is the popular music fan who gleefully owns both country and rock records and doesn't see anything wrong with that.

Could be why foreigners refer to all of it as "American Music".

It's three guitars and a drum kit and a vocalist that can't sing. That's all you need. Call it what you want. Those boys playin' hillbilly standards in the Appalachian Mountains are not a whole lot different than the guys with the pudding bowl haircuts playing in the garage. It's all folk music. Some add a fuzz pedal. Some add pedal steel. It's all good. Take a time machine back to the early sixties when some radio stations might play Sinatra and then the Beatles. I wasn't there but I've heard that claim from old timers.

It's all good.

RioGrandeGreen
08-06-18, 15:46
Bob Seger is the man.

I have been collecting CD's since 1985 while stationed in Germany. I probably have about 1-200 that are from that time. I also got some Bose 901 speakers I got for $600 in '85.

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-18, 16:14
I think that Texas Country and Red Dirt (from Oklahoma) appeals to me so much, because most of the singer/songwriters are heavily influenced by classic country and classic rock.

95.9 The Ranch (KFWR) (http://www.959theranch.com/) is a station out of Ft. Worth that plays this stuff. You can listen to it live on the internet, and they have an app that will stream it on your phone. They play Texas Country and Red Dirt, but you'll also hear Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, Willie, Waylon, Lyle Lovett, and others. Cross Canadian Ragweed once had some swag that said, "Smells like Country, tastes like Rock n Roll". I think that pretty fitting for what a lot of Texas Country and Red Dirt sounds like.

95.3 The Range (KHYI) (http://khyi.com/) is over in Dallas. The are more geared towards Americana and Classic Country, but they also play Texas Country and Red Dirt. You can listen to them from anywhere with an internet connection, as well.

I think Texas Country came out of the Outlaw Country genre when Willie and Waylon took Austin by storm in the 70's. They've been flipping the bird to Nashville ever since!

Robert Earl Keen was neighbors with Lyle Lovett when they were at Texas A&M, they would play together pick'n out on their front porches. REK IMHO is the best of the genre. Charlie Robinson's My Home Town should have been our class song but I went school with a bunch or retards. CCR (the boys from Oklahoma) were huge when I was down at Texas A&M, as was Pat Green.

As for blurring the lines of country, rock, and folk . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINUPFbFpqg

TXBK
08-06-18, 17:25
I think Texas Country came out of the Outlaw Country genre when Willie and Waylon took Austin by storm in the 70's. They've been flipping the bird to Nashville ever since!

Absolutely.

Robert Earl Keen was neighbors with Lyle Lovett when they were at Texas A&M, they would play together pick'n out on their front porches. REK IMHO is the best of the genre. Charlie Robinson's My Home Town should have been our class song but I went school with a bunch or retards. CCR (the boys from Oklahoma) were huge when I was down at Texas A&M, as was Pat Green.

I lived in College Station for a few years, and that's where I went from listening to Texas Country to meeting and hanging out with a lot of those guys. I met Robert Earl Keen in Huntsville, but he doesn't remember. He's one of my favorites, along with Steve Earle. Great song writers and story tellers. Speaking of Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett sitting on that front porch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyNPB9iCAM&pbjreload=10

Slater
08-06-18, 17:28
And I thought Taylor Swift was real country :D

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 17:33
And I thought Taylor Swift was real country :D

Oh.....R.E.M. has done the occasional country song for Fug's sake. I think we need to define just exactly what "being country" means.

Is it:

1) Must come from a rural childhood
2) Must have a Southern or Mid-Atlantic US accent
3) Must write or sing songs that have recognized country themes (rural life, adultery, alchoholism, nostalgia for tradition, etc)
4) Must wear clothing suggestive of agriculture, ranching, or equestrian lifestyle
5) Must have some style, song material, or other deliberate nod to the Old American West

Any others? Yes, I'm deliberately biasing this against anyone from an urban setting who plays "country" music, because COUSIN, THAT JUST AIN'T WHUT UH CALL "COUNTRY".

OH58D
08-06-18, 17:34
Nice shirt. I don't think the average citizen understands how many months of training you go thru flying the MH-6 with those outboard benches and the FRIES bars (Fast Rope Insertion Extraction System), getting accustomed to the flight dynamics of those 4 extra bodies onboard. Remember that aircraft is quite small and load balance of operator's weight is considered. Fun days.

That is pure tits!

I saw this t-shirt the other day that reminded me of you and was going to shoot you a PM but here's the link, your post reminded me of it.

I dig the 80's Miami Vice theme for the MH-6.
https://www.refactortactical.com/collections/apparel/products/saturaids?variant=44360416020

ETA:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1812/43172176464_9f331e8306.jpg

Slater
08-06-18, 17:39
Oh.....R.E.M. has done the occasional country song for Fug's sake. I think we need to define just exactly what "being country" means.

Is it:

1) Must come from a rural childhood
2) Must have a Southern or Mid-Atlantic US accent
3) Must write or sing songs that have recognized country themes (rural life, adultery, alchoholism, nostalgia for tradition, etc)
4) Must wear clothing suggestive of agriculture, ranching, or equestrian lifestyle
5) Must have some style, song material, or other deliberate nod to the Old American West

Any others? Yes, I'm deliberately biasing this against anyone from an urban setting who plays "country" music, because COUSIN, THAT JUST AIN'T WHUT UH CALL "COUNTRY".

Must habitually carry a pouch of Red Man (although the real hardcore folks carry a plug of Day's Work) and a Confederate flag bumper sticker is a plus. Thinks Rap is a form of social disease.
sease.

Doc Safari
08-06-18, 17:39
Confederate flag. Missed that one.

daddyusmaximus
08-06-18, 18:34
I was never a big country fan, but there are a lot of country songs that I really like, and a lot of country artists that I respect for their talent. None of them, or very few that I can think of, are from the new crop of talentless, classless idiots.

I have a wide range of taste and will listen to anything from Jazz, country, classical, motown, rock, or disco, but by far I'm an oldies guy who is sticking to his classic rock from the mid-60s to early 80s. Nothing beats the bands that had talent, vision, and skill like the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin...

The older music, both country, or rock, was so much better, because the artists worked more at it. In fact today's purveyers of noise, can't be called "artists" in my book. In the past artists were skilled musicians, and writers. They used words that told a story, when writing the song, and when it was sung there were melodies and harmonies that came together. (I love the harmony of the Eagles) Today's auto-tuned so-called singers of any genera cannot compare to a real voice with character. (like Bob Seger) They used different guitars for different sounds depending on the song. Sometimes there would be intricate changes in time. (a great drummer is key hear like Neil Peart or John Bonham) There was generally a good bass line to anchor the song, but it wasn't the entire sound that dominated the entire track. Many bands used a variety of instruments like the piano, flute, sax, or horns.

Rap, and hop-hop, by the way, cannot even be included in a discussion of music, because it's not...

Moose-Knuckle
08-08-18, 14:51
Great song writers and story tellers. Speaking of Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett sitting on that front porch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyNPB9iCAM&pbjreload=10

One of his bests, his story telling is what I appreciate most about his live shows. It's a lost art for sure.