PDA

View Full Version : Next Caliber

08-04-18, 21:23
Hey all.
I have the itch again(it never really goes away) to get my next bolt gun.
I have a 700 .308 sps.
A few years back I picked up a 700 in 300 win mag with the intention of making it like a mil sniper rifle clone. I don't know all the designations.
Problem: it's a beautiful 1970s era wood stocked, thin profile barrel intended for hunting elk. 1. It'd need alot if time and money to make what I want, and 2. It's a beautiful gun and I'd rather not futz with it.

Since I don't intend on hunting elk anytime soon I'm prob going to sell it, and use the funds towards my next project.

What caliber should I do? I'm prob going to go 700 platform, and although 90% of shooting will be less than 400 yards, there is a range a few hours north of me that's 1k yards plus that I'd like to stretch out at.

That being said, I've found a few 700 300's on GB in the $600 range (w/ heavy barrel and M40 style stock). Or should I consider another caliber such as 6.5, 7mm mag? 338 lp would be amazing but the $ just isn't there.

Thanks!

mark5pt56
08-05-18, 05:33
Do some reading here and elsewhere and you will find that they make other roads outside of town and most always they realized that it doesn't need or have to say Remington. Look at your budget, look at the 6.5 family and decide if you want a chassis or traditional type stock. And remember, chassis, if it doesn't come with one is made for other guns than a 700.

CRT2
08-05-18, 09:02
A lot of discussion on other forums about 6.5 vs 7mm vs 300 Win Mag. Some are concerned by the recoil of 300 Win Mag. Others the performance of lighter, smaller caliber bullets on game. Most agree shot placement is key. If you are going to hump the backwoods then a lighter weapon would seem reasonable. If you are carrying from your vehicle to your shooting position then weight is less relevant. As to recoil, my Remington Tactical Chassis (MDT TAC 21 Chassis with AAC brake) in 300 Win Mag, at 11.25 lbs without scope or bipod - felt recoil is like a 223/556. This is shooting 200 grain Hornady ELD-X or HSM 210 Bergers. With my AI AXMC in 300 Win Mag at 15 lbs without scope or bipod - felt recoil is inconsequential. So, it all boils down to personal preference. I've always preferred 45 ACP over 9mm and prefer 30 cal over 6mm, 6.5 mm or 7mm. As I get older (71) the 9mm seems more reasonable from a felt recoil perspective. And, since I'm not bashful I will tell you I have the Remington listed for sale in the Equipment Exchange forum - replaced by the AI AXMC.

bulldozer3
08-05-18, 13:18
6.5 creedmoor, ditch the rem700 actions. If Factory, go for tikka or howa. Drop into a krg bravo chassis. Or similar. Or just get a rifle built off a ARC nucleus or Bighorn Origins action. Either option is the only way to go today vs sinking cash into a r700 to get it trued and a decent barrel on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pappabear
08-05-18, 20:56
I have 3 Rem 700 300WM based guns and love them, all .5 moa guns. Good starting point and you can add barrel , triggers and stocks when $$$ permits. It's easy to buy a $3,500 gun and love it. If you have the money.

Two other options I'm considering dabbling in 6.5 creed is Bergara and Ruger precision rifle. Both come with a lot of features for the money and under $1,500, more like $1,200. If you go Remmy, get the 5R series of guns around the $1k mark. I bought 3 that were shooters.

PB

Tx_Aggie
08-05-18, 21:38
I agree that you should at least consider getting away from the Remington 700. Tikka and Howa are great places to look for an entry level rifle.

If you want to stay with Remingtons, take a look at trued Remington 700 actions from either Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) or Pacific Tool and Gauge (PTG). NSS blueprinted 700 actions start around $425 and are relatively stock with just the receiver face having been squared up and the bolt lugs lapped. PTG blueprinted 700 actions start at $640 and offer more custom features including custom bolt handles, knobs, and bolt fluting options. They also chase the barrel threads, something that I think Northland doesn't do.

Either of those actions + a Remage barrel kit from Northland, McGowan, or McRees, and a quality chassis (or even something like a KRG Bravo or Magpul Hunter 700 stock) and you have the ingredients for a nice shooting rifle that you can assemble yourself with some basic hand tools and a set of go/no-go gauges (or have a competent smith assemble for you for minimal labor cost).

As for a caliber, do you handload? If not 6.5 Creedmoor is hard to beat.

Or since you said you will mostly be shooting within 400 yards maybe go something smaller than 308 instead of larger and take a look at a 223 remington with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel. You would be able to shoot it much more often than a larger caliber rifle and with handloads using heavy high BC bullets you can stretch a 223 out past 800 yards (for those occasions when you are able to shoot out past 400). A bolt action isn't limited to AR15 magazine length, so 80-90gr bullets are an option.

For me personally using a 300 win mag to shoot paper at 400 yards just sounds like unnecessary punishment. Those rifles are wonderful for shooting longer ranges or taking large game, but they aren't really the right tool for shooting targets at 1000 yards and in. Lots of accurate, lighter recoiling options for that these days.

mark5pt56
08-06-18, 20:16
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-CTR-65-Creedmoor-Stainless.aspx

+
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-chassis/

For an "off the shelf" item(s) and it will run with the big dogs. One option just to open your eyes.

And I agree, inside 400-look at the .223 Tikka Varmint, tack driver, shoots itself. I actually just ordered a MPA LITE chassis for mine, they are doing the last run on the Lites before a redesign.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXH312-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Varmint-223-Rem-237--barrel-MPN-JRT.aspx

Pappabear
08-07-18, 15:02
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-CTR-65-Creedmoor-Stainless.aspx

+
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-chassis/

For an "off the shelf" item(s) and it will run with the big dogs. One option just to open your eyes.

And I agree, inside 400-look at the .223 Tikka Varmint, tack driver, shoots itself. I actually just ordered a MPA LITE chassis for mine, they are doing the last run on the Lites before a redesign.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXH312-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Varmint-223-Rem-237--barrel-MPN-JRT.aspx

I love those Tikka guns, had a 22-250 note gun that was a laser. Do they still have proprietory mags?

PB

dmd08
08-07-18, 15:24
I recently picked up a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor for a little under $900, which I think is an incredible deal for what you get. The stock is simple compared to a chassis but seems stiff and adjustable enough. Their barrels are supposed to be excellent. Factory threaded. I'm very pleased. Topped it with a NXS 5.5-20x50. I'm gathering ammo components now.

For shooting to 400 though I would be very tempted by a nice .223 bolt gun.

markm
08-07-18, 16:17
For shooting to 400 though I would be very tempted by a nice .223 bolt gun.

Absolutely. The only downside is it's too easy. Easy to load, Easy to shoot, cheap to do both... you're robbing yourself all of the heartache of dealing with any of the other cartridges.

Achilles11B
08-07-18, 19:46
400 is well within realistic range expectations for .223. As previously stated, easy to load and easy to shoot. If you’re just punching holes in paper or banging steel, .223 may be your best bet.

ndmiller
08-07-18, 20:40
I was thinking about a building a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .308 (1-4X) into a 0-400 (+ when I learn) to take a practical rifle class with in October. Alas I'm stuck at home that weekend, but the itch is still there.

mark5pt56
08-11-18, 13:47
I love those Tikka guns, had a 22-250 note gun that was a laser. Do they still have proprietory mags?

PB

Both calibers do. I'm going with Accurate Mags for my chassis/Tikka in .223. Mine is the stainless model, it's unbelievable how accurate it is.

If you ever get a standard stocked .223, do yourself a favor and get a single load tray if wanting that feature. I actually made one from cardboard before buying one.

mark5pt56
08-11-18, 13:48
I was thinking about a building a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .308 (1-4X) into a 0-400 (+ when I learn) to take a practical rifle class with in October. Alas I'm stuck at home that weekend, but the itch is still there.

I would just buy a synthetic stocked Ruger Scout.

Pappabear
08-12-18, 01:02
Both calibers do. I'm going with Accurate Mags for my chassis/Tikka in .223. Mine is the stainless model, it's unbelievable how accurate it is.

If you ever get a standard stocked .223, do yourself a favor and get a single load tray if wanting that feature. I actually made one from cardboard before buying one.

Mark, Im a bit confused, can you use whatever mags you want with the Tikka chassis ? If so, thats a game changer in my mind.

PB

mark5pt56
08-12-18, 04:22
Mark, Im a bit confused, can you use whatever mags you want with the Tikka chassis ? If so, thats a game changer in my mind.

PB

PB, If staying with the standard stock with no mods, the stock Tikka mag is your choice. If going with a"traditional" aftermarket stock that accepts an "AI" style bottom metal, then you can use the AICS mags. I used the actual AI AICS mags for my 6.5 with XLR Element with great success. I just ordered the Masterpiece Arms Lite chassis for my .223 Tikka and they recommend using Accurate Mag which is the AICS pattern. Users state problems with AI .223 mags and either go with MDT or Accurate Mag. Since Masterpiece Arms advises to use Accurate, I'm listening as they are pricey. MDT is releasing a new design with their mags with the .308 pattern first and .223 to follow.

Hope that helps!

Mark
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/223-rem-5-56-nato-dssf-magazine/

Tx_Aggie
08-12-18, 09:34
The new KRG Bravo Stock/Chassis is another great, and relatively inexpensive option to get a Tikka action set up to work with AICS pattern magazines.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/

Pappabear
08-13-18, 11:09
PB, If staying with the standard stock with no mods, the stock Tikka mag is your choice. If going with a"traditional" aftermarket stock that accepts an "AI" style bottom metal, then you can use the AICS mags. I used the actual AI AICS mags for my 6.5 with XLR Element with great success. I just ordered the Masterpiece Arms Lite chassis for my .223 Tikka and they recommend using Accurate Mag which is the AICS pattern. Users state problems with AI .223 mags and either go with MDT or Accurate Mag. Since Masterpiece Arms advises to use Accurate, I'm listening as they are pricey. MDT is releasing a new design with their mags with the .308 pattern first and .223 to follow.

Hope that helps!

Mark
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/223-rem-5-56-nato-dssf-magazine/. I think Ai quit making 223 mags, not positive. I had a problem with one and they sent me another for free and said "we are out". I run some Accurate mags in my R700 bolt gun. Worked fine.

Thanks for the info.

PB

MegademiC
08-13-18, 12:40
I was looking at this and was between a tikka and bergara LRP or BMP.
Bergaras are 700 clones and take AICS mags, including magpul which had me leaning that way.
The tikka t3x tac a1 looked great as well. All 3 guns had great reviews.

I was set on 6.8CM for extended range, that said, for 400yds, hard to beat a 223.

Just sharing stuff Ive researched a few months ago, ended up focussing on pistols so no experience yet with long range bolts.

Pappabear
08-15-18, 09:30
I have 3 Rem 700 300WM based guns and love them, all .5 moa guns. Good starting point and you can add barrel , triggers and stocks when $$$ permits. It's easy to buy a $3,500 gun and love it. If you have the money.

Two other options I'm considering dabbling in 6.5 creed is Bergara and Ruger precision rifle. Both come with a lot of features for the money and under $1,500, more like $1,200. If you go Remmy, get the 5R series of guns around the $1k mark. I bought 3 that were shooters.

PB

I handled the nicer match Bergara with chassis yesterday. I was impressed. It comes with a 3 shot target on the gun. With the measurement. This one was sub .4 moa target. I thought that was badass. I can see one of these in my future.

PB

markm
08-15-18, 09:54
I can see one of these in my future.

Threaded barrel?

MegademiC
08-15-18, 10:55
Threaded barrel?

I believe most come threaded (hmr, bmp, lrp, lrp elite in ORIAS chassis all do).

Pappabear
08-15-18, 14:34
Threaded barrel?

man oh man, you buys these guns and just shoot them. No bedding, threaded, DBM.....add suppressor and ammo and shoot.

PB

rakkasangrunt187
11-03-18, 22:54
I went to 338 Lapua but that was overboard. I got a 6.5 creedmoor and enjoying it. Got a 300 win mag and sold the 338. Based on ballistics I say 6.5 creedmoor. But if you want something lesser as far as round price, you can’t go wrong with the 224 Valkyrie. I’m waiting to hear more reviews on the 6.5 and 300 PRC in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetroRevolver77
12-09-18, 13:17
deleted

BOOSTjunkie
12-11-18, 07:53
If you can only have one, 308 is the way to go. Long barrel life, lots of ballistics data, mild relative recoil, can definitely extend past 1000. 308 will also force you to learn faster as it is less forgiving at long distances. If you were to have several I recommend a 6.5 variety in short action. .260 rem would be my pic as it is very comparable with .308 in terms of dimensions which gives you lots of options for reloading and interchangeability of components.

voiceofreason
04-14-19, 18:18
6.5 CM is the current .308 of the day...

Either go with a Tikka A1 or RPR... or spend the $ and get a Lone Peak Fusion or Impact Precision action in whatever stock or frame you like with whatever trigger gets you off
Foundation Stock/KRG Bravo chassis as a budget/MPA comp chassis as a PRS style chassis with a Trigger Tech Diamond(popular) or Timney 510(budget); contact the action makers for recs for barrels

If you enjoy shooting more than buying guns, stick with your .308 and just shoot more ammo and have fun. Under 400 yards... no diff between .308 and any other caliber that uses that same boldface.

I'd stick with your R700 if you like it and just pound steel with it every chance you get. Best way to go IMO

alrick18
07-20-19, 15:56
I concur with what others have said, I have been shooting a while and tried most of the new calibers. After it is all said and done, I have a safe full of safe queens and dollars spent and most of it you will never recoup. The 300WM has been around for a while and it is not a bad round if you can deal with the recoil. When it is all said and done the 308 is a good compromise when factoring barrel life. If your thing is to push the limits in range and precision, then you will find yourself following all the latest rounds and spending money you will never recoup. I started with Remington and the company has changed, after my last buy from them I will never buy from them again. Sako, Tika, RPR and Bergara for factory rifles and cost is not a bad option.