PDA

View Full Version : Plate Carrier vs Chest rig

MaxtheNinja
08-05-18, 12:34
Besides the obvious benefit of being able to carry plates, does a plate carrier have any other advantages over a simpler and lighter chest rig? When would someone rather wear a chest rig without plates?

Wake27
08-05-18, 13:03
You wear a chest rig when you know you won’t need ballistic protection, or when you’re willing to accept the risk of rollin without due to weather, environment, or mission parameters like having to walk 10 miles before doing your shit.

Almost zero percent of the civilian population will ever be in a situation where they both need ballistic protection and have the time and foresight to don it. But I’d want one even if I wasn’t military. Plate carrier is a great way to do some load carriage PT and you never know when society is going to collapse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlecBeach
08-05-18, 18:01
I would rather have Kevlar. Might hurt like a bitch when you are shot. But it is lightweight and can be worn under most clothes.

gaijin
08-05-18, 18:08
Kevlar, like “Second Chance” ain’t gonna stop a rifle round.

paulschoon
08-05-18, 18:42
Kevlar is good for civilians but as gaijin said its not going to do much good when dealing with a riffle most a good up to a 9 mil I believe

08-05-18, 18:51
Side plates leads to the question of which is more important? Mobility or protection? If I were holed up in a bunker, I'd probably opt for side plates. As an aggressive guy who wants to take the fight to the enemy, I'll forego the side plates.

I love dump pouches! When I was a private at Ranger Regiment, we just dumped our spent mags down the front of our tucked-in blouse. When I got to Group, my senior threw me a dump pouch he'd had made by the riggers when I was putting my LBE together. I fell in love with it the first time I went to the field with it! The idea that you're going to have the time to put a spent mag back into it's specific pouch is entirely too Walter Mitty. It's just not going to happen, in my experience. I'm sure there's some CAG shooter out there that competes in 3-Gun competitions when he's not deployed (actually a lot of them do) that can pull it off. I've never met anyone that could do it under fire though.

As far as other accessories, I'll put a post together for the other thread on how I set up my LBE and why.

Hmac
08-05-18, 21:27
Besides the obvious benefit of being able to carry plates, does a plate carrier have any other advantages over a simpler and lighter chest rig? When would someone rather wear a chest rig without plates?

Very dependent on need, I'm sure. I can't even imagine the need for armor of any kind, but my life is pretty secure and must certainly be more benign than those of you who need to consider a plate carrier as part of your kit. OTOH, chest rigs are certainly convenient at high round-count carbine courses and I use one of those routinely for training. I do a lot of self-defense training, don't have much need for actual self-defense. YMMV.

specialk
08-06-18, 05:32

If you're not sure which one you need, then the answer is "Neither".

The_War_Wagon
08-06-18, 11:04

I've got a carrier, that I've outfitted with III-A soft armor, and a trauma plate, but I did so FOR the mobility. I figure if I'm TAKING rifle rounds, I'm already in a world of hurt. This lighter carrier, is in case of civil unrest (da' COMMUNITY (https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13919418-74/police-overtime-top-1-million-for-antwon-rose-protests) has been protesting of late here in da' 'BURGH over this police shooting - if the officer gets acquitted, I figure I'll be sleeping in this carrier!) - which should offer ample protection from a hail of .25 - 9mm fire. My chest rig, while obviously even more mobile, also has a an 8" x 8" III-A chest pad in it, which is better than NOTHING... if not by much...

Watrdawg
08-07-18, 13:52
I have both and have used both in training class situations. 2 shoot house classes I took required armor. Typically I'm using a chest rig for a typical carbine class or maybe a war belt. The main reason I could see having to don a plate carrier would be in times of severe civil unrest where shootings are occurring and I absolutely can't avoid the area or as has been said everything goes to hell in a hand basket and it's a complete survival situation. Other than in a class room situation I have never had to think about grabbing my plate carrier. Although I'm glad it's there if need be!

diving dave
08-08-18, 11:06
I picked up a plate carrier that hooks up super easy with my chest rig, (Haley) so I have the option of running both. My buddy runs a company that sells armor, so I picked up some coated AR1000 plates and the carrier pretty cheap. Its a heavy bitch, but I like to know I have it. Better plates might be in the future, just because I can....

Jellybean
08-08-18, 22:18
Besides the obvious benefit of being able to carry plates, does a plate carrier have any other advantages over a simpler and lighter chest rig?...

In short, No. Yes. Maybe. It's complicated... :laugh:

Ya see, the first thing to get out of the way here is that a PC *by itself* is not *necessarily* any heavier or more complicated than a chest rig (and by chest rig, I refer to a "full loadout" rig like a Mayflower UW-series and up, NOT a "placard/micro" type)...especially with modern designs and materials. The only thing that really makes a chest rig any lighter (unless you go full retard mounting pouches to it) is the lack of armor, and any difference in complexity doesn't really happen unless you get into certain high-end Crye carriers (or perhaps some USGI stuff)...
You still have straps and buckles to adjust on both, both are equally annoying to get on and off quickly, and both weigh in around 1.5-3 pounds unloaded.

Now as far as advantages of a PC over a chest rig, sans armor, no, it's not worth it to buy a PC and run it as a chest rig without plates.
Unless you're planning to get plates in the near future and are just putting it together while you save for the plates.
Or unless it's really cold where you live, then a PC will be really freaking great at trapping extra body heat... :laugh:

When would someone rather wear a chest rig without plates?
IF:
> you can't afford decent plates
> you're planning to carry a shit-ton of weight and are not expecting a balls-out confrontation
> you work on a mountain in Afghanistan
> you're to physically ****ed up to handle the extra weight of plates
> profile and concealability are more important (although to be fair, there's some ways around that)

Hope that helps.

vicious_cb
08-09-18, 04:13

And the chances of encountering a rifle threat INCONUS as a civilian is what exactly?

Hmac
08-09-18, 11:32
And the chances of encountering a rifle threat INCONUS as a civilian is what exactly?

Or a firearm threat of any kind?

Hmac
08-09-18, 11:33
duplicate

Failure2Stop
08-09-18, 14:08
I like a simple chest rig (Spiritus Micro http://spiritussystems.com/shop-all/equipment/chest-rigs/, or Hill People Gear Kit Bag https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71) for those times I'm wandering around with a gun doing low volume shooting or carrying a gun for defense against something other than well armed people.

If I'm going into something violent, I'm strapping on armor.

The Spiritus Micro serves double duty; I clip it to my slick plate carrier when I need to do plate carrier-applicable stuff.

Alex V
08-11-18, 11:29
As other have said, for us civilians, the chances of needing plates is very small. Having said that, I do own a JPC with Lvl4 stand alone plates. Will I ever need it? Who knows. The key though is training with it. Having taken a few classes with a chest rig and a few with the JPC, I will say that running plates in a class isn't "fun". Mounting the rifle is totally different and in a state where you can't adjust the length of pull on your stock it does get annoying. The point is, if you're going to own a PC, train with it. Otherwise there is no point. In a multi day class I will usually run a PC for half the time and a chest rig for the other half. That way I remain flexible and have experience with both.

The other benefit to having a PC is some classs require or recommend it. I took a CQB class a few summers ago where a carrier was required. If I didn't have my own, I would have to use the spare ones the instructor brought which were size L and XL. Too huge for me. I just signed up for an LAV CQB class where armor is recommended. I'm all set. Just another reason to possibly pick up a PC and plates.

titsonritz
08-11-18, 13:40
What do you guys think of using both together? A low profile slick PC with various chest rigs, 5.56/308/subgun/12ga over the carrier.

specialk
08-11-18, 14:41
What do you guys think of using both together? A low profile slick PC with various chest rigs, 5.56/308/subgun/12ga over the carrier.

Of course that's a good idea. It's been done for awhile. The question is whether it's a good idea for your needs.

Failure2Stop
08-11-18, 15:52

That’s exactly what I was saying I do with my Spiritus Micro.

titsonritz
08-11-18, 17:26

Your statement is partly what prompted me ask the question, but you mentioned clipping into your slick PC, I'm thinking keeping them separate and independent. It may not be a major difference but I don't know, I've not swung the cost of a PC and plates but have a few chest rigs.

Alex V
08-11-18, 17:30

I have a Haley chest rig that I can attach to my JPC using swift-clips. Works very well if I need to carry more.

Wake27
08-11-18, 17:58
I highly recommend a chest rig and PC that interface together. The swift clips are kind of becoming the standard, with at least HSP, Velocity, and Spiritus all using the same mounting footprint. I have two different Velocity chest rugs and plate carriers, as well as a Spiritus Micro. The integration is awesome.

MaxtheNinja
08-11-18, 18:49
You wear a chest rig when you know you won’t need ballistic protection, or when you’re willing to accept the risk of rollin without due to weather, environment, or mission parameters like having to walk 10 miles before doing your shit.

Almost zero percent of the civilian population will ever be in a situation where they both need ballistic protection and have the time and foresight to don it. But I’d want one even if I wasn’t military. Plate carrier is a great way to do some load carriage PT and you never know when society is going to collapse.

Okay, so basically two different tools. Neither to be used for the same purpose. They both hold gear, but meant for use in different situations. Cool!
Can anyone recommend a good plate carrier that won't break the bank? I've seen some on ebay for 60 dollars that get really good reviews, they are the Condor MOPC ones. I imagine that they are mostly used for stuff like airsoft though. Not real steel stuff? Or would they hold up?

sam your
08-11-18, 18:54
no, that is the only use it have

Ironman8
08-11-18, 19:28

I highly recommend a chest rig and PC that interface together. The swift clips are kind of becoming the standard, with at least HSP, Velocity, and Spiritus all using the same mounting footprint. I have two different Velocity chest rugs and plate carriers, as well as a Spiritus Micro. The integration is awesome.

I know y’all have some time doing real things with PC’s, so do either of y’all have any qualms about a PC with a double stack of gear up front? (Double stack meaning two AR mags, an AR/Pistol mag, or mag and gear stacked up)

titsonritz
08-11-18, 19:54
I know y’all have some time doing real things with PC’s, so do either of y’all have any qualms about a PC with a double stack of gear up front? (Double stack meaning two AR mags, an AR/Pistol mag, or mag and gear stacked up)

That is certainly part of the equation, stuff starts getting pretty think. Most of my chest rigs are double stacked.

APOModern
08-11-18, 19:57
I second the haley rig + plate carrier setup if you don't want to get pouches

Wake27
08-11-18, 20:07

Jack probably has much more relevant experiences, but I have spent an unfortunate amount of time in full carrier and chest rig so my thoughts are below.

It’s still pretty common to see double stacked M4 mags up front amongst most regular units but I’m not a fan. I hate being bulky in any direction, but especially in the front. It makes anything where you have to bend over a giant pain in the ass, climbing over stuff is insanely difficult, and being in the prone isn’t very fun (or low profile) either. Admittedly it is easier to grab the stuff, but between a Velocity Gen IV chest rig and a Spiritus dangler, I’ve never felt the need for more storage space.

That being said, I’ve never deployed and therefore have never been in a situation where more than four mags might be warranted. Most SOF that I’m aware of are fine with 3-4 mags which has driven much of the trend for this kit, but those guys always have priority air and/or fires. If there’s a time where I could foresee wanting at least six mags on me, it’d be deployed with a regular non-combat arms unit. No organic mortars, definitely not priority for fires, and despite trying, I don’t have a ton of faith in much of my BN if we ever got into a firefight. As a work around for that worst case scenario, I have one of the newer cummerbund options for the Scarab that has internal elastic pouches for mags if it really ever came down to that.

While I hate double stacked mags, I don’t feel overly bulky with small admin stuff on top of the mags. Mostly I carry facepaint, compass, multi tool, chem lights, lube, cat crap, and lens cloth for our training events. In an actual scenario I’d obviously prioritize pistol mags or medical stuff more, but I do have a belt setup that would come out with most of that already set.

titsonritz
08-11-18, 21:05
The other benefit to having a PC is some classs require or recommend it. I took a CQB class a few summers ago where a carrier was required. If I didn't have my own, I would have to use the spare ones the instructor brought which were size L and XL. Too huge for me. I just signed up for an LAV CQB class where armor is recommended. I'm all set. Just another reason to possibly pick up a PC and plates.

That is worthy of note.

Failure2Stop
08-13-18, 12:17

I go as flat as possible on the front of work armor as I can without losing my ability to perform the necessary task list.
That usually means single-depth mags on the front of armor.
I still maintain that general rule for armor integration of support equipment, but I'll allow a little extra depth since I no longer use a soft backer and my plates are thinner, but it's still pretty thin.
That said, I still avoid double mag depth, whether 2 rifle or rifle and pistol on the front. Just generally uncomfortable for real world wide-spectrum use.

Submariner
08-15-18, 07:19
While I hate double stacked mags, I don’t feel overly bulky with small admin stuff on top of the mags. Mostly I carry facepaint, compass, multi tool, chem lights, lube, cat crap, and lens cloth for our training events. In an actual scenario I’d obviously prioritize pistol mags or medical stuff more, but I do have a belt setup that would come out with most of that already set.

What is "cat crap"?

VARIABLE9
08-15-18, 07:40
Could be this.

https://ekusa.com/product/cat-crap/

Wake27
08-15-18, 11:35
Could be this.

https://ekusa.com/product/cat-crap/

Yup. We always have to wear eye pro but it gets dirty very easily when you’re gross as shit and Hawaii can make it fog pretty quickly too. That and the lens cloth are two of my most used items.