PDA

View Full Version : red dot scope on a magnified scope at 45 deg. angle

cronus5116
10-27-08, 23:32
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a mini red dot scope (like a doctor) mounted on a magnified scope (like a leupold), with a GG&G adapter, thats angled at 45 deg. I just wana know your thoughts on this product. Thanks

yrac
10-28-08, 18:45
You probably need to give a little clarification. Are you referring to this setup on an AR (pretty common to see two optics in 3-gun), or are you referring to this type of setup on a precision bolt gun? I'm not quite sure what you'd gain by putting this on a bolt gun.

cronus5116
10-28-08, 19:08
The one im writing about is mounted on a precision bolt gun, its used for targets that are to close to be seen through the magnified scope, or if a target is encountered and you don't have time to draw a sidearm.

Gunfighter13
10-30-08, 01:52
The one im writing about is mounted on a precision bolt gun, its used for targets that are to close to be seen through the magnified scope.

For me anything that is "to close to be seen through the magnified scope" is engaged with a handgun. :D

Gunfighter13
10-31-08, 19:32
The one im writing about is mounted on a precision bolt gun, its used for targets that are to close to be seen through the magnified scope, or if a target is encountered and you don't have time to draw a sidearm.

To answer your edit: It would be hands on. That would be the only distance where I or you would not be able to draw your sidearm and engage the target.

uscbigdawg
10-31-08, 22:17
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSCN0049-2.jpg

Not a bolt gun, but this is my setup. Works on any picatinny rail. On another setup, I have it mounted to a piece of rail over the ejection port.

Rich

ETA: I did fix the mounting and I apologize for the blurry picture (not my camera).

chadbag
11-01-08, 00:17
I think this is what the OP is talking about

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=202&parents=64,66

Gunfighter13
11-01-08, 00:48
Carlos Hathcock is rolling over in his grave on this one.

yrac
11-01-08, 08:10
I think a device like this takes weapon that was not intended for CQB distances and makes it into... A weapon still not intended for CQB distances. If you're outfitting a precision rifle, your budget would be MUCH better utilized on other things, like good training. If you want it on a 3-gun rifle, go for it. I'd leave it off of the bolt gun.

chadbag
11-01-08, 11:59
I am not qualified to speak on this with any authority. I've never been in the military nor an LEO.

It seems that the purpose of this is not to turn a bolt action precision rifle into a CQB weapon. It seems the purpose is to turn it into an emergency CQB.

You are in your hide with your partner and you get surprised by some goobers coming up on you at 30 yards or whatever and need to act fast. That sort of scenario.

Dave L.
11-01-08, 12:46
I think a device like this takes weapon that was not intended for CQB distances and makes it into... A weapon still not intended for CQB distances. If you're outfitting a precision rifle, your budget would be MUCH better utilized on other things, like good training. If you want it on a 3-gun rifle, go for it. I'd leave it off of the bolt gun.

+1
With my personal guns and ammo, I wont waste my time(or barrel life) shooting a custom bolt gun at 7-10 yards...that's why God gave us 1911.

cronus5116
11-02-08, 00:19
Yea thats what I meant, your walking to your target, or your inside a building going to your hide, and all of a sudden out of nowhere a tango pops out he's 2-5 yards out no time to reach for a sidearm, so you have to shoot him with your bolt gun thats what this red dot is for.

Gunfighter13
11-02-08, 02:25
Yea thats what I meant, your walking to your target, or your inside a building going to your hide, and all of a sudden out of nowhere a tango pops out he's 2-5 yards out no time to reach for a sidearm, so you have to shoot him with your bolt gun thats what this red dot is for.

Your sidearm should have already been out in the above. Long gun should have been slung or packed.

I think if you had some training you would understand this.

vinesr6
11-02-08, 09:53
I agree, it's a waste on a bolt gun. FWIW, Vic of TNVC sells the setup you're looking for a good price.

cronus5116
11-02-08, 15:23
Your sidearm should have already been out in the above. Long gun should have been slung or packed.

I think if you had some training you would understand this.

Training has nothing to do with it, its just common sense your not going to have a sidearm in you hand at all times, there might be times when you just wont have the time to reach for it.

CoCop
11-02-08, 15:36
Training has nothing to do with it, its just common sense your not going to have a sidearm in you hand at all times, there might be times when you just wont have the time to reach for it.

Sounds like you don't like the answers your getting, and you just want someone to agree with you. You have made up your mind, spend your cash on a item that no one has ever placed on a bolt gun.
At 2-5 yards you should not need sights on any gun.

cronus5116
11-02-08, 16:01
Sounds like you don't like the answers your getting, and you just want someone to agree with you. You have made up your mind, spend your cash on a item that no one has ever placed on a bolt gun.
At 2-5 yards you should not need sights on any gun.

Im not trying force anyone to agree with me, all I wanted to know was everyones thoughts on this product, or if anyone has one on a bolt gun, thats all, I dont want one, I never did, I actually agree with the people that said this might be a waste of cash, but I can also see the use in it as well, I have seen them on a bolt gun, and I can see the logic behind it but like you said, you dont really need one at that distance.

Dave L.
11-02-08, 16:15
Having a bolt gun with a magnified optic means nobody should EVER get within 5-10 yards.

yrac
11-02-08, 16:22
Gents - let's wrap this one up. I think the question has been answered in a more than satisfactory manner, and it can only go downhill from here. Thanks.

cronus5116
11-02-08, 21:46
Having a bolt gun with a magnified optic means nobody should EVER get within 5-10 yards.

Yea you got a point there, and if they did not really necessary to have the red dot, nice, but not necessary.