PDA

View Full Version : Making my M4 New York State legal

coldzero4545
10-28-08, 00:53
Greetings,

My current residence is in North Carolina, which is a pretty AR15/M4 friendly area. Before I left for the sand box, where I currently reside :cool:, I built my M4 rifle on a Stag lower and an LMT upper, and I am proud to say that I have ALL the evil features =) Anyway...I will be moving back to NY eventually and therefore being the responsible gun owner that I am, I wanted to look into making my M4 legal to own in New York.

Taking a look at the gun laws from http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm, I noticed that it appears that the gun laws are even more strict than I initially thought...

Not only are you limited by this:
An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher

which means I can only have a detachable magazine and a pistol grip...:mad:

but theres more :eek:...here is some text that follows:

"An 'assault weapon' means...(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or (d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (Sc-70); (iv) Colt Ar-15;(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M 10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr Aug; (viii) Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) Revolving Cylinder Shotguns, such as (or Similar to) the Streetsweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (a) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide-action; (b) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (c) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;

Which when I initially read, made me very mad, because unless I am reading this wrong, I can't "make" my M4 compliant because it is a replica of a Colt AR15 and subsequently is banned by the second quote, even if I took off ALL the evil features.

BUT!... if I'm reading "between the lines" does this mean that I can keep all the evil features on my M4 and make it NYS legal if I DO NOT have a detachable magazine? and use only pre ban or ban compliant mags? and if so...will the bullet button that is so popular in CALI http://riflegear.com/p-58-prince50-bullet-button.aspx suffice to fulfil that requirement?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and help :D

jerry

DrewH
10-28-08, 13:33
What they mean is all Colt manufactured AR-15s are banned, so, since yours is not a Colt, it does not apply to you. This is how it worked with the old Federal level ban, anyway.

Assuming the ban is a mirror of the federal ban you would need to attach some kind of muzzle device that is not a flash hider and disallows use of the threading for the flash hider, and permanently fix your collapsible stock or install a fixed stock. Don't think NY requires you to register long guns when you move in, but you had better double check.

I am not a legal expert, better check with some, please.

Mines13
10-28-08, 14:07
What they mean is all Colt manufactured AR-15s are banned, so, since yours is not a Colt, it does not apply to you. This is how it worked with the old Federal level ban, anyway.

Assuming the ban is a mirror of the federal ban you would need to attach some kind of muzzle device that is not a flash hider and disallows use of the threading for the flash hider, and permanently fix your collapsible stock or install a fixed stock. Don't think NY requires you to register long guns when you move in, but you had better double check.

I am not a legal expert, better check with some, please.

I live in New York. As you said, No threaded barrel, no flash hider (brake ok), pinned collapsible stock or fixed stock. That said, you do see rifles with collapsible stocks on occasion. As far as 30 round mags go, anything USGI pre-ban with or without a date stamp is pretty common in these parts.

Veracity
10-28-08, 15:09
If your receiver was made after September 94, you cab have only two evil features. Everyone seems to pick the pistol grip & detachable mag as their two.

A preban receiver can have any/all evil features. (No matter what, no sound suppressor though)

Get a muzzle break pinned and welded to your barrel...one that is not considered a flash hider.

Get an A2 or Ace Skeleton stock...or have your collapsible stock pinned at your favorite setting.

Grind off your bayo lug.

Only bring preban mags into NY state. You can bring/buy all of the preban mags you want. New mags have to be 10 rounds or less.

Other Qs? Email me