PDA

View Full Version : "Sniping physics course!" ?

WillBrink
08-11-18, 14:16
This does not add up for me. Can an SME confirm this? aiming above the target to account for bullet drop and X distance is obvious, this vid suggests something else, such as the bullet creates its own lift, unless they're just not doing a great job of explaining it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqOqZBRZsj8

P2000
08-11-18, 14:56
What she said made sense to me. The visual representation of bore axis, sight axis, and bullet trajectory was a little lacking.
None of this was in depth, just a quick couple minutes, can only fit so much detail in that amount of time.

WillBrink
08-11-18, 15:10
What she said made sense to me. The visual representation of bore axis, sight axis, and bullet trajectory was a little lacking.
None of this was in depth, just a quick couple minutes, can only fit so much detail in that amount of time.

Maybe that's what's throwing me off, the visuals don't match well to the info presented. For the the bullet to go above the axis of the bore, some additional outside force would have to act on it, such as it creating lift, or a strong gust of wind, etc. I can't claim to be an SME on this topic, but it it follows the access of the bore until gravity acts on it, and then it starts it's trajectory back to earth once the energy of the projectile no longer able to counter the gravitational pull on it. The vid seems to suggest the bullet rises above the access of the bore and then starts to come down.

militarymoron
08-11-18, 16:25
Maybe that's what's throwing me off, the visuals don't match well to the info presented. For the the bullet to go above the axis of the bore, some additional outside force would have to act on it, such as it creating lift, or a strong gust of wind, etc. I can't claim to be an SME on this topic, but it it follows the access of the bore until gravity acts on it, and then it starts it's trajectory back to earth once the energy of the projectile no longer able to counter the gravitational pull on it. The vid seems to suggest the bullet rises above the access of the bore and then starts to come down.

Ya, the visual isn't correct. The bore of the axis should be pointed up relative to the line of sight of the optic. The bullet isn't going above the axis of the bore. The bullet drops relative to the bore axis the moment it leaves the barrel.

WillBrink
08-11-18, 16:42
Ya, the visual isn't correct. The bore of the axis should be pointed up relative to the line of sight of the optic. The bullet isn't going above the axis of the bore. The bullet drops relative to the bore axis the moment it leaves the barrel.

Thanx. Thought I was losing it there for a second.

SteyrAUG
08-11-18, 20:11
Maybe that's what's throwing me off, the visuals don't match well to the info presented. For the the bullet to go above the axis of the bore, some additional outside force would have to act on it, such as it creating lift, or a strong gust of wind, etc.

Just to reinforce what has already been said, the bullet never travels above the bore axis unless something very unexpected happens like a flaw in the bullet itself which spins it way off center. I don't even think wind (except maybe a tornado) could actually give lift to a bullet in flight.

Wake27
08-11-18, 20:25
It’s a super common way of teaching trajectory in the Army and drives me crazy because I think it’s more confusing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that the bullet begins to rise after leaving the barrel. Even better, one guy said that the barrels are actually installed at an upward angle to to help the bullet counteract gravity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slater
08-11-18, 21:18
This is the scientific take on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

SteyrAUG
08-11-18, 21:39
It’s a super common way of teaching trajectory in the Army and drives me crazy because I think it’s more confusing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that the bullet begins to rise after leaving the barrel. Even better, one guy said that the barrels are actually installed at an upward angle to to help the bullet counteract gravity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should go back to smoothbore muskets so we can put "backspin" on the ball like the paintball guys do.

ST911
08-12-18, 08:29
https://i2.wp.com/www.sheepdogsurvival.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Picture1.jpg

SteyrAUG
08-12-18, 14:28
https://i2.wp.com/www.sheepdogsurvival.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Picture1.jpg

And that is how simple it can really be explained. They just need to have that poster at every range in the country.

titsonritz
08-12-18, 15:31

Yep that is a goody, but I find it hilarious it labels "UP". I guess the creators considered nearly every IQ level.

AKDoug
08-12-18, 15:34
Yep that is a goody, but I find it hilarious it labels "UP". I guess the creators considered nearly every IQ level.

They just have to make sure that people understand you can't go all Matrix and throw bullets around the corner..

titsonritz
08-12-18, 15:36
They just have to make sure that people understand you can't go all Matrix and throw bullets around the corner..

Whadda ya mean? :blink: