PDA

View Full Version : 9mm NATO equiv load?

Bruce in WV
08-11-18, 18:01
Reading the posts about “handgun truths” on another forum here I noticed one writer recommending 9mm NATO 124gr FMJ for duty use instead of JHP’s in certain situations. It’s an idea worth practicing, but I don’t have a load recipe for this cartridge.
Anybody got a recipe to share?

ETA: Not getting into debate about bullet choice, this is question about a load recipe.
Please look at the referenced thread, especially posts #129 and #179, to join the bullet debate.
ETA2: Link to referenced thread - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?208494-Some-hard-truths-about-pistols-(add-yours)

boombotz401
08-11-18, 18:13
Work up to around 6gr of power pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
08-13-18, 10:08
In what scenario is that crappy load optimal? NATO isn't that hot, and the bullet (from my readings) has a reputation for just zipping through the enemy and not dropping him.

Uni-Vibe
08-17-18, 22:36
6.3 grains AA5 is max load in 9mm+p, according to AA load data. Should be close enough.

Uni-Vibe
08-17-18, 22:38
6.3 grains of AA5 is max +p load according to AA load data. That's what I would do. Close enough.

gaijin
08-18-18, 05:25
124 gr. Ball is not what I'd carry.
I load a 124 gr. G.D. H.P. with HS-6 and replicate the G.D. +P factory load. Have an ammo can with about 1500 rds. for carrying at the ranch, goofing around. I use "real" factory G.D. or 124 gr. +P HST for carry.

With VERY FEW exceptions my belief is gun-writers follow that saying- "them's that can do, them's that can't teach"- or write for gun mags.

T2C
08-18-18, 15:12
I searched for “handgun truths” and a lot of threads popped up. Please provide a link to the specific thread you are referencing.

parishioner
08-21-18, 06:18
I searched for “handgun truths” and a lot of threads popped up. Please provide a link to the specific thread you are referencing.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?208494-Some-hard-truths-about-pistols-(add-yours)

Rifleman_04
08-27-18, 13:08
The poster from handgun truths doesn’t get it. I wouldn’t be taking any advice on carry ammo from him.

Gunnar da Wolf
08-27-18, 21:48
I believe the poster you are referring to comes from a country that has been at war since it’s inception. But not against the hopped up weight lifting drug thugs or other “normal” US of A threats. If you’ve lived in his world you would be prone to take a more military oriented opinion on damn near everything. Over there hordes of people want to kill you because of how you pray to God. You learn to perfect the headshot shortly after you get out of High School (or its equivalent).

Personally, here in the U.S. I’m happiest with a bunch of Gold Dots, SXT Bonded or other good Jhp ammo and my pistol d’jour. Save the NATO spec stuff for warzones.

Edited to add: Alliant’s BE86 works well using their 124gr load data. Remember NATO ammo uses a pretty stout bullet jacket. You might want to buy some IMI or Winchester 124gr factory stuff to see what you are trying to copy.

yoni
08-27-18, 23:48
As I said in the other thread. I carry in the USA hollowpoints in my pistol. I also carry in some situations NATO spec or hotter ball ammo, in my backup mags.

I also have said many times what ammo you stuff in your pistol will have ZERO outcome on a regular USA style gun fight. Your situational awareness and tactics matter more.

The best hollowpoint will not save you if you get caught flat footed in a gun fight.

Straight Shooter
08-28-18, 06:34
In what scenario is that crappy load optimal? NATO isn't that hot, and the bullet (from my readings) has a reputation for just zipping through the enemy and not dropping him.

THIS^....but aside from that..CAN you even reload this cheaper than what Factory ammo Winchester NATO is being sold for? Its freakin DIRT CHEAP now..PSA had 1000 rounds for $179 SHIPPED.
Its all I use at the range- and matches POA with the 124 +P HST load I carry, +P Gold Dots, too.

Rifleman_04
08-28-18, 09:03
I believe the poster you are referring to comes from a country that has been at war since it’s inception.

I wasn’t referring to yoni. My bad if the op was referring to his posts.

I was referring to another poster in the thread that was pretty convinced that hard cast type and fmj are the best self defense rounds.

Bruce in WV
08-30-18, 17:28
Thank you for the recipes.

Jäger
09-01-18, 00:34
Thank you for the recipes.

Aside from all the above on the wisdom of choosing 9mm ball as the optimal self defense load, you have your work cut out for you if you're looking for THE 9mm NATO equivalent load.

When I retired from the military a couple of years ago, there were 22 different NATO M-C MOPI (Manual of Proof and Inspection) approved loadings for 9mm. Unless my memory fails me, there were also 22 different MOPI loads for 5.56, and 47 different loads for 7.62

You could argue that the load that is NATO's reference ammuntion for MOPI standards testing is the closest to the theoretical one true NATO 9mm load. For now, the Canadian 9mm ammunition is the NATO reference ammunition for that MOPI standards testing. The MOPI standard for 9mm specifies a maximum service pressure of 36,550 psi. Canadian 9mm ball drives a 115 grain bullet at 1250 fps, with an extreme spread at 25 meters of no more than 3".

So there's one loading that you can work towards if you're stuck on it.

Bruce in WV
09-01-18, 05:39
Thank you for a very informative and useful post. I can certainly use the information about the reference load you provided to build a training load from my stock of components.

Uni-Vibe
09-01-18, 23:30
If I wanted to do this, what I'd do is get a box of Winchester NATO Q4318 and chrono it.

Then go out and get you some AA5 powder or equivalent, and some 124 grain FMJ loads, and get to work.

In no time you should be able to duplicate Q4318 performance.