PDA

View Full Version : Safe deposit box for SBR’s

Shagnasty
08-13-18, 23:06
Anyone ever used a bank safe deposit box for their SBR? I’m joining the army and can’t leave them with anyone, and can’t take them with me.

Hoping to hear if anyone had a good experience with a particular bank.

p7fl
08-14-18, 06:25
Downsizing houses a few years ago. Between houses brought a bunch of NFAs into my local Bank of America. It took 3 trips from the car and 2 large boxes to get everything in. Staff just smiled and the guard helped me carry everything in.

RHINOWSO
08-14-18, 08:56
If it’s an AR, just strip the receiver down to the lower if size is an issue.

panzerr
08-14-18, 15:59
Anyone ever used a bank safe deposit box for their SBR? I’m joining the army and can’t leave them with anyone, and can’t take them with me.

Now that's a good idea.

Tigereye
08-14-18, 18:19
A very good idea

SeriousStudent
08-14-18, 20:32
I do not have an SBR in my safety deposit box, but all of my tax stamps (15 at current count) are in there, along with some family heirloom firearms. Some of the pistols go back four generations and are well over 100 years old.

If you keep copies of your tax records in the box, you can deduct the annual rental fee on your federal income tax return.

And look for a credit union, they typically charge much less for a box. Set up a savings account, deposit enough money to cover the fees for a few years, and have them draft that account for the rental. Then you can deploy with no worries about the contents. "Oh poop, I am over here in AssCrackistan and can't pay the bank right now..."

If you are using a trust and have anyone else on it, be sure they can access the box. Or not. Just be aware of that issue.

jack crab
08-15-18, 10:57
Also, as a servicemember, make sure the bank knows your military status. The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act prevents (at least is supposed to) default judgments, i.e., the bank cannot liquidate the contents of the box because the rent is not paid.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-15-18, 12:44

Hoping to hear if anyone had a good experience with a particular bank.

Change your home address to your parents house, leave them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shagnasty
08-15-18, 17:02
Change your home address to your parents house, leave them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You DO know NFA items can’t be out of your control, right?

Shagnasty
08-15-18, 17:04
Also, as a servicemember, make sure the bank knows your military status. The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act prevents (at least is supposed to) default judgments, i.e., the bank cannot liquidate the contents of the box because the rent is not paid.

That’s great information, thank you.

BigWaylon
08-15-18, 17:54

But they can be locked away at somebody else's house. That's actually (one of) the ATF's answer to the situation.

If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual's application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred in accordance with NFA regulations or abandoned to ATF.

Shagnasty
08-15-18, 19:47
At any rate, I pretty clearly said leaving them with anyone wasn’t an option for me.

So the update is: I just got a box. Came in with a rolling suitcase. credit union asked no questions, left me in a private room to pack the box.

Really couldn’t have been easier.

SeriousStudent
08-15-18, 20:10
At any rate, I pretty clearly said leaving them with anyone wasn’t an option for me.

So the update is: I just got a box. Came in with a rolling suitcase. credit union asked no questions, left me in a private room to pack the box.

Sounds great. Good luck with basic training and thank you for your desire to serve our nation.

jack crab
08-15-18, 22:04
That’s great information, thank you.

I just read back through this and noted you are joining the Army. The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, SCRA, has all kinds of good stuff. In addition to preventing default judgments without the court examining your military status, there is also protections on property taxes such as vehicles, changing state residency regarding income taxes, termination of leases, mandatory changes to interest rates on pre-service debt, etc.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 18:37

Funny, whenever I notify ATF about "off site storage" of my NFA items they always fail to come arrest me.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 18:39

Glad it worked out easy.