PDA

View Full Version : Shopify bans merchants from selling certain firearms...

wetidlerjr
08-16-18, 03:44
Go to: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/shopify-bans-merchants-from-selling-certain-firearms/ar-BBLYVlr

NEW YORK AP — Shopify, a platform used by more than 600,000 businesses to sell their goods, says it will no longer allow them to sell some firearms and parts.

The company said the policy change affects "a small number of merchants" but would not give a specific number.

It never ends...

Alex V
08-16-18, 06:52
Never heard of Shopify... have you guys?

GH41
08-16-18, 07:02

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopify

mack7.62
08-16-18, 07:04
No but only thing I can figure is they are the secure payment company, it says they are used by over 600 K businesses.

fledge
08-16-18, 14:38

Yes, they are extensive. Noveske and others use them. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 14:40
This is why I stopped using ANY merchant services 10 years ago.

Got screwed out of several thousands dollars when they changed their polices regarding firearm sales, never informed me, then froze something like $70,000 in transactions. It was a nightmare, thankfully all of the people involved were cool and nobody did a charge back. I was able to refund everyone's money and it only cost me about $5,000.

Last time I ever accepted credit cards.

Clint
08-16-18, 16:26
So what do you use now?

This is why I stopped using ANY merchant services 10 years ago.

Got screwed out of several thousands dollars when they changed their polices regarding firearm sales, never informed me, then froze something like $70,000 in transactions. It was a nightmare, thankfully all of the people involved were cool and nobody did a charge back. I was able to refund everyone's money and it only cost me about $5,000.

Last time I ever accepted credit cards.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 18:17
So what do you use now?

Cash. I realize that I probably lose a lot of business, but I'll never put my money or a customers money in the hands of a third party that can indiscriminately freeze my account ever again.

I was staring down the barrel of $70k in charge backs plus 3% both ways. They were also talking about freezing the money for something like 6 months and that isn't the kind of service I wish to pay for. Merchant services is so effin' backwards it isn't funny, they make money on both sides of the transaction just for moving money.

Given that the average firearm is a $1000 sale they should be paying me to accept customer credit cards. In any other business $70,000 worth of charges is something everyone would want to help with. If I sold $70,000 worth of dildos in a month I'd probably be a platinum member or something.

Arik
08-16-18, 18:33
Never heard of them

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wetidlerjr
08-17-18, 03:54
Never heard of them

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And now you have...

Shopify is a Canadian e-commerce company headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario. It is also the name of its proprietary e-commerce platform for online stores and retail point-of-sale systems. Wikipedia
Stock price: SHOP (NYSE) $139.16 +0.23 (+0.17%)
Aug 16, 4:02 PM EDT - Disclaimer
Customer service: 1 (888) 746-7439
Headquarters: Ottawa, Canada
CEO: Tobias Lütke
Revenue: 580.9 million USD (2017)