PDA

View Full Version : Roundup residue found in foods

Doc Safari
08-16-18, 09:22
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-16/weed-killing-carcinogen-glyphosate-found-childrens-foods

The known carcinogen and infamous weed killing chemical glyphosate has just been found in breakfast foods marketed for children. A new study has discovered trace amounts of the most widely used herbicide in the country in oats, granolas, and snack bars.

Most disturbing, however, is the fact that thirty-one out of 45 tested products had levels of glyphosate that were higher than what many scientists consider safe for children.
The study, which was conducted by the non-profit Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that many of the breakfast foods marketed to children contain glyphosate. “I was shocked,” said Dr. Jennifer Lowry, who heads the Council on Environmental Health for the American Academy of Pediatrics. Although not much is known about the effects of the chemical on children, parents and doctors are concerned. “We don’t know a lot about the effects of glyphosate on children,” Lowry said. “And essentially we’re just throwing it at them.”

“We’re very concerned that consumers are eating more glyphosate than they know,” said Scott Faber, vice president of government affairs at EWG, according to CBS News. Faber has been working to improve food safety standards for more than a decade. He said he and his team at EWG conducted the study which included a lab test involving “45 samples of products made with conventionally grown oats.” The researchers found glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in the Monsanto weed-killer Roundup, in all but two of the products.

My take: What can you do?

THCDDM4
08-16-18, 10:13
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-16/weed-killing-carcinogen-glyphosate-found-childrens-foods

Don't buy that shit. Most of the foods that use herbicides like that are shit to begin with.

Buy organically grown food that hasn't had nasty chemical pesticides or herbicides used and instead use natural forms. Get stuff from local sources as much as you can.

It's more expensive, but you absolutely get what you pay for.

Most of the food sold in restaurants and grocery stores is complete crap. Especially the stuff marketed for kids.

Be aware, intentional and wise regarding what you put in your body.

Averageman
08-16-18, 10:20
I agree with what you're saying, but I think it's going to be in organically grown food too.
Herbicides like fertilizers run off one field and to another.

Doc Safari
08-16-18, 10:21
Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis covered this last night. Rather than me summarizing it I invite you to listen. It isn't as easy as "buy organic."

https://www.groundzeromedia.org/8-15-18-gmo-cancer-is-o-so-serial-w-dr-joel-wallach/

https://soundcloud.com/groundzeromedia/gmo-cancer-is-o-so-serial-w-dr-joel-wallach-august-15-2018

AKDoug
08-16-18, 10:29

I'm not sure. We pretty much steer clear of everything that comes out of a box or a can. We make time to cook real meals. However that doesn't get us away from the toxins and hormones that may be in the meat and veggies we eat.

The whole organic thing is great, until everyone demands it. There is not enough land to grow food by the organic method to feed everyone. The pesticides and herbicides came about to get better return per acre.

kerplode
08-16-18, 11:07
People have been dumping this shit with reckless abandon, on every blade of stray grass, since the 70's. It's EVERYWHERE.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-16-18, 12:20
All food is organic, inorganic food is gritty.

The dirty secret is with out GMOs, fertilizers and pesticides we would have widespread famine. Forcing more of the food production into 'organic' just makes food more expensive for poor people. Like someone said, there are no lactose intolerant people in Eithiopia.

jpmuscle
08-16-18, 12:28
All food is organic, inorganic food is gritty.

The dirty secret is with out GMOs, fertilizers and pesticides we would have widespread famine. Forcing more of the food production into 'organic' just makes food more expensive for poor people. Like someone said, there are no lactose intolerant people in Eithiopia.

I enjoy my boulder sized strawberries [emoji526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
08-16-18, 14:36
I enjoy my boulder sized strawberries [emoji526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your flavorless boulder-sized strawberries?

:jester:

RetroRevolver77
08-16-18, 14:37
Look into the micron plastics found in our water.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/06/plastic-fibres-found-tap-water-around-world-study-reveals

GH41
08-16-18, 15:00
WHO says roundup is a probably causes cancer. "Probably" doesn't mean shit to me. The only one who claims (probably falsely) it causes cancer is California. If you shy away from everything that could possibly cause cancer you would live a pretty miserable life. For those of you that know nothing about RU... You don't spray crops with it. It would kill the crop.

Adrenaline_6
08-16-18, 15:12
WHO says roundup is a probably causes cancer. "Probably" doesn't mean shit to me. The only one who claims (probably falsely) it causes cancer is California. If you shy away from everything that could possibly cause cancer you would live a pretty miserable life. For those of you that know nothing about RU... You don't spray crops with it. It would kill the crop.

True to an extent. Not genetically modified ones.

Doc Safari
08-16-18, 15:36

According to Clyde Lewis's guest, that's exactly what they use it for. Killing the crop dries it out and it can be harvested faster, i.e., Roundup is a way to get product to market faster, therefore it's being used everywhere and in ways not intended by the manufacturer.

26 Inf
08-16-18, 16:16
There is not enough land to grow food by the organic method to feed everyone. The pesticides and herbicides came about to get better return per acre.

I'm not sure that I totally agree with that belief.

The reason I hesitate to agree is because I live in Kansas and see the results of overproduction and inefficient marketing/transportation laying on the ground by filled to capacity grain elevators. At yet people starve......

Seems to me that if we quit putting ethanol in fuel, we could probably produce less, sell most of it, and reduce the use of herbicides.

But we'd **** it up like we always do because someone would get greedy.

flenna
08-16-18, 17:22

Actually yes, you do. Look up what they call "roundup ready" crops. These crops can be sprayed with roundup without killing it so farmers can spray their whole fields and kill only the unwanted plants. This does not preclude the crops from absorbing the roundup, it just means the crop will not die from it.

JoshNC
08-16-18, 17:26
Don't buy that shit. Most of the foods that use herbicides like that are shit to begin with.

Buy organically grown food that hasn't had nasty chemical pesticides or herbicides used and instead use natural forms. Get stuff from local sources as much as you can.

Most of the food sold in restaurants and grocery stores is complete crap. Especially the stuff marketed for kids.

This is the answer. Buying locally sourced foods is the very best option. If you don’t have the option of buying locally sourced foods, buy organic. It’s more costly, but what’s your/your family’s health worth? I guarantee the vast majority of people could cut out extraneous unnecessary pleasure foods/drinks like coffee, energy drinks, soda, etc and afford to eat better quality foods.

flenna
08-16-18, 17:32
This is the answer. Buying locally sourced foods is the very best option. If you don’t have the option of buying locally sourced foods, buy organic. It’s more costly, but what’s your/your family’s health worth? I guarantee the vast majority of people could cut out extraneous unnecessary pleasure foods/drinks like coffee, energy drinks, soda, etc and afford to eat better quality foods.

Woah, wait a minute. Coffee is unnecessary??

JoshNC
08-16-18, 17:41

I should qualify.....I mean overpriced coffee drinks, like double mocha whip lattes. I’m amazed how many people I see buying $5 coffee drinks 1-2 times a day. $5-10 per day x 5 days a week is $25 - $50 a week, $100 - $200 per month.

Honu
08-16-18, 17:48
problem with organic label is just that its a gov label

when organic comes from China ?

kerplode
08-16-18, 17:49
I should qualify.....I mean overpriced coffee drinks, like double mocha whip lattes. I’m amazed how many people I see buying $5 coffee drinks 1-2 times a day. $5-10 per day x 5 days a week is $25 - $50 a week, $100 - $200 per month.

But...what will I have with my avocado toast? :jester:

rjacobs
08-16-18, 18:09

coffee is a carcinogen in California...so....no coffee.

GH41
08-16-18, 18:17
According to Clyde Lewis's guest, that's exactly what they use it for. Killing the crop dries it out and it can be harvested faster, i.e., Roundup is a way to get product to market faster, therefore it's being used everywhere and in ways not intended by the manufacturer.

Clyde Lewis.... Are you looking in your rearview mirror and seeing contrails and FEMA body bags out of your windshield?? I do have a tinfoil hat but I don't wear it very often.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 18:30

Meanwhile in the "whole foods" stores that market "no pestisides, only organic" there is a higher incidence of diseased and bacteria ridden foods. You seriously can't win sometimes.

Of course microwaving everything in a plastic container has been killing us for several decades now and they just told us a few years ago. Basically food producers don't give a shit, they'll try not to kill you because they want you to keep buying their crap, but it it's a matter of saving 0.08 cents an item they will look the other way because we literally aren't worth a dime to most of them.

The really scary part is, everything is still a thousand times safer than ANY food product from China.

THCDDM4
08-16-18, 22:37
Meanwhile in the "whole foods" stores that market "no pestisides, only organic" there is a higher incidence of diseased and bacteria ridden foods. You seriously can't win sometimes.

Of course microwaving everything in a plastic container has been killing us for several decades now and they just told us a few years ago. Basically food producers don't give a shit, they'll try not to kill you because they want you to keep buying their crap, but it it's a matter of saving 0.08 cents an item they will look the other way because we literally aren't worth a dime to most of them.

The really scary part is, everything is still a thousand times safer than ANY food product from China.

Whole foods is a joke. Seriously. Epitome of marketing.

My comment on local sources is key. I buy from local farmers and local meat producers for about 50% of the food that my family consumes.

We grow our own and hunt our own, make our own as much as possible. I'd say the rest, likely 20% of what we consume, comes from local grocers. We research what we buy and only buy from reputable sources.

There's no perfect way of doing it, but it's better than chowing down on fast food and processed, chemical ridden trash 3 squares a day.

Just the quality and taste alone makes it worth it.

I'm not gonna lie, it costs a lot and is a hassle a lot of the time, but we believe it is worth it.

It's hard to find high quality, truly organic and healthy food sources. But they exist.

YMMV.

Like you say, even our low quality food is higher quality than most of the world, but there exists many levels of quality in our county.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 23:13

My comment on local sources is key. I buy from local farmers and local meat producers for about 50% of the food that my family consumes.

We grow our own and hunt our own, make our own as much as possible. I'd say the rest, likely 20% of what we consume, comes from local grocers. We research what we buy and only buy from reputable sources.

There's no perfect way of doing it, but it's better than chowing down on fast food and processed, chemical ridden trash 3 squares a day.

Just the quality and taste alone makes it worth it.

I'm not gonna lie, it costs a lot and is a hassle a lot of the time, but we believe it is worth it.

It's hard to find high quality, truly organic and healthy food sources. But they exist.

YMMV.

Like you say, even our low quality food is higher quality than most of the world, but there exists many levels of quality in our county.

No argument with any of that. Of course not an option for many, especially city dwellers.

I sometimes wish we were back in the days where everyone had a victory garden in the back yard and farmers would barter their doctor bills with a side of beef. If that was the norm I'd probably only spend $40 a month in a grocery store and I'd eat mostly the same things but still be healthier.

Certainly not an option for city folks, now that I'm back in Iowa I'm trying to look at more "locally sourced" foods, problem is with the retarded "whole foods" movement, buying from the source can now be more expensive.

THCDDM4
08-16-18, 23:24
No argument with any of that. Of course not an option for many, especially city dwellers.

I sometimes wish we were back in the days where everyone had a victory garden in the back yard and farmers would barter their doctor bills with a side of beef. If that was the norm I'd probably only spend $40 a month in a grocery store and I'd eat mostly the same things but still be healthier.

Certainly not an option for city folks, now that I'm back in Iowa I'm trying to look at more "locally sourced" foods, problem is with the retarded "whole foods" movement, buying from the source can now be more expensive.

We spend about 70% of our time as city dwellers and the rest of our time is spent well away from the city. It's not convenient to get the food we want, but it's a priority for us, personally.

I hear ya though.

As an aside, and well off topic remark- the true issue is the gross number of people we have on this rock. Things progress, things evolve, everything constantly changes. Balance is hard if not impossible to achieve as a species. World wide pandemics and war happen for a reason. We get better at coming back from such atrocities and the atrocities get worse.

It's amazing to see the resilience of our species; thwarting nature and equilibrium to survive and achieve our goals, overcoming problems and adversity with solutions that beget greater problems and adversity that we are forced to overcome time and time again.

We always go backwards, and forwards in constant flux, perpetual ebb and flow. Eventually we will be gone and forgotten and likely never known by others throughout the rest of the cosmos.

We damn ourselves by saving ourselves.

Human nature wouldn't have it any other way. Such a beautiful and interesting existence we inhabit.

SteyrAUG
08-16-18, 23:57
We spend about 70% of our time as city dwellers and the rest of our time is spent well away from the city. It's not convenient to get the food we want, but it's a priority for us, personally.

I hear ya though.

As an aside, and well off topic remark- the true issue is the gross number of people we have on this rock. Things progress, things evolve, everything constantly changes. Balance is hard if not impossible to achieve as a species. World wide pandemics and war happen for a reason. We get better at coming back from such atrocities and the atrocities get worse.

It's amazing to see the resilience of our species; thwarting nature and equilibrium to survive and achieve our goals, overcoming problems and adversity with solutions that beget greater problems and adversity that we are forced to overcome time and time again.

We always go backwards, and forwards in constant flux, perpetual ebb and flow. Eventually we will be gone and forgotten and likely never known by others throughout the rest of the cosmos.

We damn ourselves by saving ourselves.

Human nature wouldn't have it any other way. Such a beautiful and interesting existence we inhabit.

Two things:

We should probably remember our place in the grand scheme, as a species we've barely existed one million years, if there is a species representative of life on earth it's going to be some big ass reptile as they owned the planet for hundreds of millions of years and it took a massive asteroid to knock them off the top of the food chain. We only just arrived and long after we are gone there will be hundreds of millions of years of something else, probably insects.

And if I could survive my childhood eating mostly slim jims and drinking yoohoo's, we can probably ingest all kinds of crap well into adult hood. These days I read what's in a Slim Jim and I wonder how I'm still alive and yet I know it's still more nutritious than what your average 12 year old had to survive on a mere 200 years ago. People on paleo diets crack me up, back then most people didn't live past 40 and they didn't eat nearly as well as people packing in daily McFoods. Of course nothing is better than people who won't eat seafood because they fear mercury content but smoke a pack a day.

JoshNC
08-17-18, 00:23

It used to be great. Sadly as it has grown as a corporation the quality in some stores went down. Now that Amazon owns it, WF has really gone down.

We predominantly buy our produce at our local farmers market. We do buy meat from WF, but I think I’m going to start buying that from local farmers too.

titsonritz
08-17-18, 01:13
Kill it and grill it.

titsonritz
08-17-18, 01:14
Whole Foods, pfft...whole paycheck.

SteyrAUG
08-17-18, 01:24
Kill it and grill it.

If only there was such a thing as "cattle season." Not particularly challenging but I'd be out there every day with my "Moo" call and I'd have a freezer full of ribeyes.

Doc Safari
08-17-18, 08:57
If only there was such a thing as "cattle season." Not particularly challenging but I'd be out there every day with my "Moo" call and I'd have a freezer full of ribeyes.

Become a rancher like me and you can look at your "buffet on the hoof" every day.

Averageman
08-17-18, 09:13
I'm wondering if these trace amounts could still be found and how long would they remain in the eco-system if we stopped using round-up tomorrow?
I'm just guessing this stuff in small amounts is even in our drinking water.

Doc Safari
08-17-18, 09:16
I'm wondering if these trace amounts could still be found and how long would they remain in the eco-system if we stopped using round-up tomorrow?
I'm just guessing this stuff in small amounts is even in our drinking water.

If you live in the city, I understand that your drinking water is full of residue from people's medications, too. Wastewater treatment plants can't filter out everything. So enjoy that glass of pharmaceuticals dissolved in water.

Averageman
08-17-18, 09:32
If you live in the city, I understand that your drinking water is full of residue from people's medications, too. Wastewater treatment plants can't filter out everything. So enjoy that glass of pharmaceuticals dissolved in water.

I've read that before, but I would also take a SWAG and say that well water in rural area's is much more likely to contain Round-up and fertilizer's in trace amounts.
Does anyone here no how long this stuff remains before it breaks down to safe levels?

AKDoug
08-17-18, 10:32
I've read that before, but I would also take a SWAG and say that well water in rural area's is much more likely to contain Round-up and fertilizer's in trace amounts.
Does anyone here no how long this stuff remains before it breaks down to safe levels?

From Wikipedia.. so who knows..
The half-life of glyphosate in soil ranges between 2 and 197 days; a typical field half-life of 47 days has been suggested. Soil and climate conditions affect glyphosate's persistence in soil. The median half-life of glyphosate in water varies from a few to 91 days.

AKDoug
08-17-18, 10:39
If you live in the city, I understand that your drinking water is full of residue from people's medications, too. Wastewater treatment plants can't filter out everything. So enjoy that glass of pharmaceuticals dissolved in water. That's only if your city is recycling waste water into drinking water, which isn't employed in 99% of the drinking water in the US. If you think you're safe on rural well water, think again. There are many areas of the country that have little to no agriculture or oil exploration that have water that exceeds gov't safe levels of certain compounds. My well water has about half of the acceptable arsenic allowed by the EPA, for example. It far exceeds arsenic levels of most major cities in the US.

How many rural people test their water? Very few I bet. I went 20 years before I did mine. I have a friend that runs the water system for a major city and they test DAILY. Yeah, Flint MI got screwed, but the majority of cities take testing seriously.

Doc Safari
08-17-18, 10:46
That's only if your city is recycling waste water into drinking water, which isn't employed in 99% of the drinking water in the US. If you think you're safe on rural well water, think again. There are many areas of the country that have little to no agriculture or oil exploration that have water that exceeds gov't safe levels of certain compounds. My well water has about half of the acceptable arsenic allowed by the EPA, for example. It far exceeds arsenic levels of most major cities in the US.

How many rural people test their water? Very few I bet. I went 20 years before I did mine. I have a friend that runs the water system for a major city and they test DAILY. Yeah, Flint MI got screwed, but the majority of cities take testing seriously.

My well water actually has bacteria in it, probably because there's no backflow preventer and the cows drink from the same well. Appetizing isn't it?

Doc Safari
05-31-19, 10:57
Monsanto is starting to pay the price for allegedly poisoning people:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-29/monsanto-finally-getting-taste-its-own-poison

US regulatory agencies like the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) claim that glyphosate is safe for humans and the environment.

But American courts begs to differ.

About 13,000 civil cases against Monsanto are moving through the court system.

The first three came back in favor of the plaintiffs. The evidence showed that Roundup caused cancer in people exposed to the weedkiller.

So far the price has added up to $2 billion for the company, but it looks like that is just the beginning.

Meanwhile, the parent company, Bayer, which bought Monsanto last year is quickly plummetting in value.

Bayer acquired Monsanto for $63 billion last year.

Now investors are fleeing, and the value of Bayer has fallen by 40% since it bought Monsanto. Bayer is now worth $59 billion, less than it paid for Monsanto.

My take: Not being a chemist or an SME on herbicides I'd hate to be on a jury deciding one of these lawsuits, but common sense suggests that glyphosate needs to be thoroughly studied and possibly a temporary ban placed on it at least until further data is collected. I know that would cause a trauma to the industry but surely there are alternatives.

Doc Safari
05-31-19, 11:52
And another view:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.html

In humans, glyphosate does not easily pass through the skin. Glyphosate that is absorbed or ingested will pass through the body relatively quickly. The vast majority of glyphosate leaves the body in urine and feces without being changed into another chemical.

Is glyphosate likely to contribute to the development of cancer?
Animal and human studies were evaluated by regulatory agencies in the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the European Union, as well as the Joint Meeting on Pesticide Residues of the United Nations and World Health Organization (WHO). These agencies looked at cancer rates in humans and studies where laboratory animals were fed high doses of glyphosate. Based on these studies, they determined that glyphosate is not likely to be carcinogenic. However, a committee of scientists working for the International Agency for Research on Cancer of the WHO evaluated fewer studies and reported that glyphosate is probably carcinogenic.

Has anyone studied non-cancer effects from long-term exposure to glyphosate?
Long-term feeding studies in animals were assessed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other regulatory authorities. Based on these evaluations, they found there is no evidence glyphosate is toxic to the nervous or immune systems. They also found it is not a developmental or reproductive toxin.

Are children more sensitive to glyphosate than adults?
As required by the Food Quality Protection Act, the EPA has determined that children are not more sensitive to glyphosate as compared to the general population.

Doc Safari
05-31-19, 13:25
And some evidence of harm:

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/full/10.1289/ehp.7728

Our studies show that glyphosate acts as a disruptor of mammalian cytochrome P450 aromatase activity from concentrations 100 times lower than the recommended use in agriculture; this is noticeable on human placental cells after only 18 hr, and it can also affect aromatase gene expression. It also partially disrupts the ubiquitous reductase activity but at higher concentrations. Its effects are allowed and amplified by at least 0.02% of the adjuvants present in Roundup, known to facilitate cell penetration, and this should be carefully taken into account in pesticide evaluation. The dilution of glyphosate in Roundup formulation may multiply its endocrine effect. Roundup may be thus considered as a potential endocrine disruptor. Moreover, at higher doses still below the classical agricultural dilutions, its toxicity on placental cells could induce some reproduction problems.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-31-19, 15:24
Pretty much every chemical can kill you, and you know what will kill you faster? Not having chemicals. With out modern ag chemicals like Roundup and GMOs, the Malthusians would have been right.

If Round-up was that dangerous to the general population, we would be seeing it more clearly. That and if we let juries decide scientific cases like this? Are you F'ing nuts? The people too dumb to get out of a multi month trial are going to decide something this complex- that's a great idea.

California literally says that everything will kill you. Prop 65 is a joke.

sundance435
06-03-19, 09:25
Two things:

These days I read what's in a Slim Jim and I wonder how I'm still alive and yet I know it's still more nutritious than what your average 12 year old had to survive on a mere 200 years ago. People on paleo diets crack me up, back then most people didn't live past 40 and they didn't eat nearly as well as people packing in daily McFoods. Of course nothing is better than people who won't eat seafood because they fear mercury content but smoke a pack a day.

People died at 40 for different reasons than a Paleo-istic diet. The massive amounts of protein we eat now, and likely did as hunter-gatherers, was not common at all until the end of the 19th century for regular people. You died at 40 from any number of things that are nothing more than a nuisance to us or only present in 3rd-world conditions. The wealthy people of the last 1000 years, despite covering themselves in lead, arsenic, and other toxic substances, and ingesting others in various forms, still had a longer life expectancy than regular people. A key reason for that was they had access to a better diet and better quality food.

I'm not sure that I totally agree with that belief.

The reason I hesitate to agree is because I live in Kansas and see the results of overproduction and inefficient marketing/transportation laying on the ground by filled to capacity grain elevators. At yet people starve......

Seems to me that if we quit putting ethanol in fuel, we could probably produce less, sell most of it, and reduce the use of herbicides.

But we'd **** it up like we always do because someone would get greedy.

I'm kind of coming around to this, too, after being an organic-denier. We don't need roundup-ready crops doused in glyphosate to sustain 7 billion people. I still don't think GMOs on their own are harmful, since we've been doing that for thousands of years, but I can't fathom that pesticides and herbicides aren't. Too many people conflate the argument against GMOs with the pesticide/herbicide component that's key to huge-yielding GMO crops. We have produced yields that have multiplied many times since the 50's and yet billions of people are still food insecure. The problem isn't needing higher yields, it's the distribution/incentive system behind it. Farmers in France, the U.S., et al are paid to grow crops and livestock that there is no market for. Hundreds of millions of Indians and Chinese are still subsistence-level or small farmers. It's incredibly more inefficient for them to farm and yet we have huge surpluses of crops and prices in the tank - why don't they have access to our surpluses? It's for far too many reasons to address that have nothing to do with GMOs and pesticides/herbicides.

duece71
06-03-19, 10:23
We get an average of 80 years of life.....blame death for killing you. I feel better already.

jsbhike
06-03-19, 14:31
People have been dumping this shit with reckless abandon, on every blade of stray grass, since the 70's. It's EVERYWHERE.

Yeah that is usually the catch on locally grown too.

I do salt (sometimes plus vinegar if I want dead in a hurry) in lieu of commercial weed killer or string trimming and it seems to last about as long, plus it is edible.

That actually teeters on bothering people. No telling how many people I know who have asked if I have tried Round Up, 2-4, D, or if I happen to know someone licensed to get the really potent stuff.

Interestingly enough, many devotees of weed killer are Leary of Permethrin treated clothing or insect repellants on skin even though it seems safe as near as anyone can tell combined with the known possible issues resulting from tick and mosquito bites.