PDA

View Full Version : Weights Measurements

Neeglik
10-30-06, 02:01
I know Rob was posting some weights of various items in his inventory, but I was wondering if anyone had a good listing of weights of different parts? I'm specifically looking to compare buttstocks, but also interested in rails, optics, and grips. I could be wrong, but a sticky with a comprehensive listing would be a great resource.

Despite all that, can anyone shoot me the weight of a standard CAR stock, Magpul CTR, and Vltor Carbine Clubfoot?

Thanks in advance...

rob_s
10-30-06, 04:33
do a google search for "maryland ar15" and you'll come up with the MSN group for the Maryland AR15 shooters. There is an excel spreadsheet on there that you can download that has a TON (no pun intended) of weight information.

Possibly the most interesting thing on that spreadsheet is that the same plastic product in different colors can have different weights. Not sure if this indicates the variability of different folks weighing things or if it's a materiality issue due to differing colors.

Overall the spreadsheet does appear to be good info though.

Neeglik
10-30-06, 06:00
Thanks...Don't suppose you could email the file to me, could ya? I can't seem to get it to download.

BravoCompanyUSA
10-30-06, 09:47
Some weights at this link (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13)

LOKNLOD
10-30-06, 11:58
Here's some stuff I've got on hand:

CMT flattop upper receiver, no M4 cuts, w/ FA and port door: 8.7 oz
Cav Arms midlength tapered C8 handguards, OD, w/ heat shields: 7.6 oz
Larue 13.2 rail, old style w/o QD sling holes: 1 lb, 1.3 oz
Rifle length gas tube: 1.0 oz

Forest
10-31-06, 13:25
Possibly the most interesting thing on that spreadsheet is that the same plastic product in different colors can have different weights. Not sure if this indicates the variability of different folks weighing things or if it's a materiality issue due to differing colors.

Thanks for the kind words. As for the different colors effecting the weight. That data (for the black & green pistol grips) came from Cav-Arms so the same scale was used for both weights. Surprised me too. They explained it as the color was based on some metal so it adds a tiny bit more weight.

BTW I'm always looking to add more to the sheet. It started as a quest to find the lightest parts, but I've since started expanding it to encompass as much as possible.

rob_s
10-31-06, 13:40
Thanks for the kind words. As for the different colors effecting the weight. That data (for the black & green pistol grips) came from Cav-Arms so the same scale was used for both weights. Surprised me too. They explained it as the color was based on some metal so it adds a tiny bit more weight.

BTW I'm always looking to add more to the sheet. It started as a quest to find the lightest parts, but I've since started expanding it to encompass as much as possible.
Funny how projects like that take over isn't it? I'm sure glad you did it, because you saved me having to do it myself.:p

I'm pretty much done building things these days, but your information came in very handy.