PDA

View Full Version : WTF HK???!!!

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 11:32
Just bought a new P30 last week, shot it for the first time and multiple FTE FTF issues! Shooting Remington 115g happened set least 5 times, also had one issue where the slide didn't lock open on the last round. Magazines are fairly new I brought my older ones but had no issues with them. My older P30 I bought in 2011 runs like a champ never had an issue with any ammo even the ammo I used today. The guy in the lane next to me gave me some of his which was speer lawman and still had some issues.
Luckily the range I shoot is also where I bought it so they're sending it back to HK
Anyone know if I just got a lemon or is HK quality slipping?

VT1032
08-20-18, 11:37
Just bought a new P30 last week, shot it for the first time and multiple FTE FTF issues! Shooting Remington 115g happened set least 5 times, also had one issue where the slide didn't lock open on the last round. Magazines are fairly new I brought my older ones but had no issues with them. My older P30 I bought in 2011 runs like a champ never had an issue with any ammo even the ammo I used today. The guy in the lane next to me gave me some of his which was speer lawman and still had some issues.
Luckily the range I shoot is also where I bought it so they're sending it back to HK

Very likely just a lemon, particulary if it was still doing it with the Speer ammo. I was initially thinking shit Remington ammo might have been the culprit, but Speer is pretty gtg. I'd send it back. Everyone lets one slip through the cracks every once in a while, even HK.

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 11:42
Yeah hopefully. I really like the P30. and HK pistols overall. I'm so invested in HK and glock I really don't want to go with another manufacturer

ST911
08-20-18, 11:45

Sample of one user, sample of one gun. No reason to even ask this. It's the internet though, so some dolt will be along shortly to start a "are HK P30s okay now????" thread.

mack7.62
08-20-18, 12:10
Are you talking the cheap Remington 115gr FMJ like you get at Wally World? If so you do know that that ammo is notoriously weak, if that is what you are using first thing I would do is try some different ammo like some NATO loads.

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 13:19
Sample of one user, sample of one gun. No reason to even ask this. It's the internet though, so some dolt will be along shortly to start a "are HK P30s okay now????" thread.
I get that, but
I also saw a video on the military arms channel where Tim bought a new umc 45 and the front sight post was cracked. I just wanted to know if anyone had any other issues. with the newer HKs

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 13:21
Used Speer lawman too same issue.
I have used the same Remington ammo in my older P30 no issues

MegademiC
08-20-18, 13:59
Did you clean/lube it first?
Ive had/seen a couple guns that chocked out of the box, but after cleaning/lubing went thousands of rounds without issue.

Pappabear
08-20-18, 15:25
Yea, it's a good idea to remove the non corrosive sludge from the weapon. With the slide not locking back, I'd watch my thumb if it did it on several kinds of ammo.

I'd run another 100 through, if your still having issues, off to HK for check up to neck up. I'm a P30 fanboy, but I've had a couple handguns that needed a breakin, then never failed. 250 rounds should break in if it needed a break up in.

I know it's frustrating.

PB

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 15:40
Did you clean/lube it first?
Ive had/seen a couple guns that chocked out of the box, but after cleaning/lubing went thousands of rounds without issue.

Already had some lube.

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 15:43
Yea, it's a good idea to remove the non corrosive sludge from the weapon. With the slide not locking back, I'd watch my thumb if it did it on several kinds of ammo.

I'd run another 100 through, if your still having issues, off to HK for check up to neck up. I'm a P30 fanboy, but I've had a couple handguns that needed a breakin, then never failed. 250 rounds should break in if it needed a break up in.

I know it's frustrating.

PB

Already sent back to HK my other P30 never had issues so we'll see what they say

jesuvuah
08-20-18, 18:17
Ever since they dropped the price, I have been hearing of more issues with them. Could just be that more are being sold and therefore more likely to hear of an issue, but hopefully they are not going the way of "let's lower prices and QC and see what happens."

Should have bought a high point[emoji847]

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

RND
08-20-18, 18:32
Lol. Today’s gun culture is warped.

Phillygunguy
08-20-18, 18:35
Ever since they dropped the price, I have been hearing of more issues with them. Could just be that more are being sold and therefore more likely to hear of an issue, but hopefully they are not going the way of "let's lower prices and QC and see what happens."

Should have bought a high point[emoji847]

I doubt that., the P30 has been out for a while and vetted
Not sure why the price dropped. They still make the USP series and they are priced the same as they were

jesuvuah
08-20-18, 18:37
Not sure why they dropped either but I see them advertised for 550ish all the time now.
Not sure why the price dropped. They still make the USP series and they are priced the same as they were

1986s4
08-20-18, 18:41

Yeah, what's up with that? I do want a USP 9mm LEM but they're still in the $800's. I used to have a P-30 and it didn't like any sort of compromised hold. It was fine when using a solid two hand grip but single handed, moving and shooting it would sometimes FTE. My buddy has a P-30L in .40 and it really demands a solid hold to function well. It would seem HK designs their pistols for full power military/police ammo.

RJflyer
08-20-18, 19:32
Its a mass produced product...despite what the fanboys say, there are bound to be some lemons out there. I wouldn't take a single example as proof that HK quality has "slipped". I'd give them the chance to correct it. If they don't correct it, then I'd say you should move on to a different manufacturer.

SomeOtherGuy
08-20-18, 20:02
I've had defective products out of the box from a variety of "reputable, high-end manufacturers" although HK is not among them. Stuff happens, and a .1% defect rate means 1/1000 are defective. I suspect a lot of firearms stuff has a >1% defect rate, as does lots of non-firearms stuff these days. Modern manufacturing is pretty good and QC costs money, why not let the buyer beware and advertise your "awesome warranty and customer service" like many companies do.

There are a handful of companies that seem to have miniscule defect rates, but none of the ones I'm thinking of make handguns. It's not as if HK (and Glock, and a few others) are showing up all that often in OOB defect complaints though.

Mark71
08-20-18, 20:09
What color was the recoil spring? As you know, the 9mm spring should be red. Years ago I bought a new 9mm P2000 that would not function with any ammo. Turns out the spring installed was from the .40. HK sent out a new spring that solved the issue along with a bunch of cool swag.

sndt1319
08-21-18, 00:03
I had an early XD that had issues at first. I was told to leave the slide locked to the rear for a few days and go back to the range. It seemed to solve the problem.

Nightstalker865
08-21-18, 05:12
So you didn’t clean all the shipping/storage sludge off before running it?

HK’s need hot ammo for break in. Most of them even mention this in the owners manual. Running 115gr bulk ammo during break in is just asking for problems.

I’ll be curious as to what you hear back from CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08-21-18, 05:44
could just be from a bad batch. Mine shoots like a dream, i won several HK rifles and handguns. they are top notch.

Phillygunguy
08-21-18, 12:07
could just be from a bad batch. Mine shoots like a dream, i won several HK rifles and handguns. they are top notch.

My other P30 shoots like a dream too

Phillygunguy
08-21-18, 12:10
What color was the recoil spring? As you know, the 9mm spring should be red. Years ago I bought a new 9mm P2000 that would not function with any ammo. Turns out the spring installed was from the .40. HK sent out a new spring that solved the issue along with a bunch of cool swag.

It was red

Phillygunguy
09-14-18, 14:41
Update.
I got my P30 back from HK they didn't say what was wrong or say what they did. I got a flash drive with them shooting it using Blazer brass and no issues
I shot it today 150 rounds it feeds normal but ejects like a glock brass everywhere including my head. I will chalk it up to crappy Remington 115grain brown box cheap ass ammo. I will get some better ammo and try again later in the week

montrala
09-18-18, 08:24
I will chalk it up to crappy Remington 115grain brown box cheap ass ammo.

I found some reviews of this ammo and it seems to be 940-1000fps ammo with 115gr bullet. This is 108-115 (kgr*ft/s) IPSC/USPSA power factor (minimal power factor is IPSC/USPSA is 125). I'm actually amazed this ammo manages to cycle your P30 at all. This gun is designed to use 9mm NATO rounds that go 1150-1300fps with 124gr bullet (power factor 142-161 - this is level of +P ammo). That is huge difference. If you want to shoot 115gr, look for something that goes around 1150fps (more/less power factor 130+) for best reliability. In my P30 and P30L, when they were "broke in" (some 2000+ rounds) I managed to shoot ammo that was on threshold of 125 power factor (115gr Blazer alu case and 124gr Barnaul steel case) and both pistols cycled, but both felt sluggish.

Adrenaline_6
09-18-18, 10:34
I've shot a lot of Blazer Brass 115gr and Winchester white box out of my P30 and never had a single problem. Never tried the Remington brown box but have had zero problems with the Remington UMC.

Phillygunguy
09-18-18, 10:53
I found some reviews of this ammo and it seems to be 940-1000fps ammo with 115gr bullet. This is 108-115 (kgr*ft/s) IPSC/USPSA power factor (minimal power factor is IPSC/USPSA is . I'm actually amazed this ammo manages to cycle your P30 at all. This gun is designed to use 9mm NATO rounds that go 1150-1300fps with 124gr bullet (power factor 142-161 - this is level of +P ammo). That is huge difference. If you want to shoot 115gr, look for something that goes around 1150fps (more/less power factor 130+) for best reliability. In my P30 and P30L, when they were "broke in" (some 2000+ rounds) I managed to shoot ammo that was on threshold of 125 power factor (115gr Blazer alu case and 124gr Barnaul steel case) and both pistols cycled, but both felt sluggish.

That makes sense. Im guessing that because the slide is larger/ heavier than say a glock it needs more momentum.
although HK never did tell me what was wrong or if anything was done. Im guessing it was the ammo.
Blazer 115gr seems to function fine as they tested it with both 115 and 124gr.
Thanks for commenting always appreciate hearing from you when there's an HK question

defense523
09-18-18, 18:55
Shoot full power ammo...if there is such thing for a 9mm. 115 grr often lacks the power necessary for cycling of new guns, yes even our beloved never fail glocks. So, either shoot 124gr (maybe 300-500 rnds) or just lock your slide back for a few days to “break in” your recoil spring.

.45fmjoe
09-20-18, 16:27
I purchased a new P30S in 9mm a couple weeks ago and took it to the range on Tuesday. I shot 100 rounds of Winchester 124 gr NATO ammo without issue. I was incredibly impressed with it. Even the first round in DA was dead center. The ergonomics are just great. Ejection was perfect, which is more than I can say for my Gen 5 Glock 19.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BWT
09-20-18, 17:09
The P30 needs NATO pressure 9mm for the first 200-300 rounds from what I’ve heard.

That being said the erratic ejection I’ve never heard of with HK’s before.

God Bless,

Brandon

Iraqgunz
09-21-18, 04:01
I have a P30. Anything to be afraid of?

Arik
09-21-18, 06:53
Shoot full power ammo...if there is such thing for a 9mm. 115 grr often lacks the power necessary for cycling of new guns, yes even our beloved never fail glocks. So, either shoot 124gr (maybe 300-500 rnds) or just lock your slide back for a few days to “break in” your recoil spring.That sounds a little odd. I just buy ammo, whatever brand is on sale. 99% of my range ammo is 115gr fmj. Never had issues cycling in Glocks, HK USP,, Sigs, CZs, SW, HiPowers, Berettas

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pappabear
09-21-18, 09:36
I have a P30, P30L and P30SK and they eat everything I have ever fed them. Craptastic brown bear, nice MEN 124, Gold Dots, WWB you name it I have shot everything and it has NEVER jammed. This is the first I have ever heard of one not being perfect, Im sure it has happened elsewhere, but I haven't heard.

I will add, the thing that makes them so reliable is the mags are second to none. They cost but they are awesome. And I have always felt like the P30 cycled smoother and more effortlessly than any gun I have ever shot.

ST911
09-22-18, 09:07

:lol:

Uni-Vibe
09-22-18, 11:28
A problem with Remington 9mm FMJ is cartridge overall length. These rounds are visibly shorter than NATO spec. I do not know why. I do know that this affects the angle of the round as it feeds. It makes the angle of entry into the chamber much steeper. Us reloaders are more conscious of overall length. You mess with spec length at your peril. This, not nose shape, is what makes some shorter hollow point rounds have feeding problems.

Rayrevolver
09-22-18, 12:15
That sounds a little odd. I just buy ammo, whatever brand is on sale. 99% of my range ammo is 115gr fmj. Never had issues cycling in Glocks, HK USP,, Sigs, CZs, SW, HiPowers, Berettas

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree that you should be able to run any 115gr.

BUT if you go to HKPro they will always recommend Nato 9mm for the first few hundred rounds, same goes for the MP5. This happens ALL THE TIME over there in the pistol forum. Usually, the folks go and buy 9mm Nato and it runs fine. Then they try the 115s and its fine as well.

Ever since I had a bad case of WWB 9mm, I only buy "decent" ammo. It was very frustrating to lose faith in a pistol. Sent it back. Then have it choke inside 100 rounds. I sidelined the rest of that WWB case, switched to AE 115/124 and never an issue. Not worth the possible headache to buy the cheapest ammo out there.

Uni-Vibe
09-22-18, 12:30
I use my own hardcast for range fodder. The best FMJ out there is Winchester Q4318 NATO 124 grain stuff. It's a little hotter than other white box but not quite plus p. It's my carry ammo.

MadAngler1
09-23-18, 10:51
Update.
I got my P30 back from HK they didn't say what was wrong or say what they did. I got a flash drive with them shooting it using Blazer brass and no issues
I shot it today 150 rounds it feeds normal but ejects like a glock brass everywhere including my head. I will chalk it up to crappy Remington 115grain brown box cheap ass ammo. I will get some better ammo and try again later in the week

I have 1000 rounds through mine using a wide variety of 9 mm ammo. Zero issues. Sounds like you have a lemon. Try some MEN 124 grain NATO ammo. Not sure what to say about the ejection issue. If it continues, take a video and send it back to HK.

I’ve moved away from remington UMC since they don’t use real brass casings. When you can get American Eagle, Speer Lawman or MEN 9 mm ammo for < $200 for a 1000 round case, UMC is not that much of a bargain. Of course, I still remember getting 50 round boxes of Winchester USA ammo for $7.99 at Bass Pro around 2002

SomeOtherGuy
09-23-18, 15:29
I’ve moved away from remington UMC since they don’t use real brass casings.

What do you mean by "don't use real brass"? What are they using?

.45fmjoe
09-23-18, 16:05
What do you mean by "don't use real brass"? What are they using?Fake brass?

montrala
09-24-18, 06:19

Yes. They breed even if you do not have a couple ;)

awdxtc
09-24-18, 19:20
Not sure why they dropped either but I see them advertised for 550ish all the time now.

The USP is still made in Germany, the P30 and some the HK45 HK45c are not to the best of my knowledge.

pag23
09-24-18, 19:30
The USP is still made in Germany, the P30 and some the HK45 HK45c are not to the best of my knowledge.

Check out some the posts on HKPro...the P30 is still being made in Germany.

Phillygunguy
09-24-18, 20:16
I have 1000 rounds through mine using a wide variety of 9 mm ammo. Zero issues. Sounds like you have a lemon. Try some MEN 124 grain NATO ammo. Not sure what to say about the ejection issue. If it continues, take a video and send it back to HK.
Already did and got it back see my earlier post

montrala
09-25-18, 04:24
the P30 and some the HK45 HK45c are not to the best of my knowledge.

P30 is made in Germany.

HK45 and HK45C were initially completely made in Germany, then molds for frames were sent to USA and frames were made in USA with "top" made in Germany and sent to USA (you should see German proof marks on slide and barrel of "made in USA" pistols). Then HK decided that there is market for HK45 and HK45C also in Europe and they restarted manufacture of complete pistols in Germany for European market.

TactiCool1976
09-26-18, 00:35
i picked up a brand new P30, a couple weeks ago, and i've run a couple hundred rounds of 115gr Perfecta and some IMI jhp die-cut 115gr ammo thru the gun and it's run flawlessly.. I did lube up the slide grooves and the frame where the slide would make any friction before ever firing the gun.. And even my other HK's P30sk, VP9sk, VP9, P30L have run flawlessly since day 1

Uni-Vibe
09-26-18, 21:02

I’ve moved away from remington UMC since they don’t use real brass casings. When you can get American Eagle, Speer Lawman or MEN 9 mm ammo for < $200 for a 1000 round case, UMC is not that much of a bargain. Of course, I still remember getting 50 round boxes of Winchester USA ammo for $7.99 at Bass Pro around 2002

No, I can verify to the best of my ability (no equipment for metallurgical testing) that UMC is indeed brass. I just reloaded some UMC 9mm and it loads just fine.

What I caution about in 9mm UMC is iterated above: cartridge overall length is quite a bit shorter than spec, and can cause problems in some guns.

I shoot reloads but for range fodder American Eagle or Winchester, 115 or 124, is fine. Q4318 is a bit stouter and that's what I carry.

Bret
09-27-18, 08:50
I've purchased many new pistols over the years and one thing that I've figured out is that not all 9mm pistols are sprung the same and the power of 9mm ammo varies significantly. Therefore, you can't assume that any factory 9mm will work in any 9mm pistol. Though I do reload, I keep a good variety of factory 9mm on hand as well. I always buy it by the case. When I get a new pistol, I shoot the higher power NATO spec ammunition through it to start with. If it's reliable, I'll run weaker ammo through it. Most guns will run with the full variety of ammo, but some simply require the higher power ammo. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with the lower power ammo if it doesn't run in a particular gun. Based on what the OP has said, I'd surmise that he got a more heavily spring pistol and tried weaker ammo in it. The combination didn't work. I'd also surmise that HK simply put some of their factory ammo through it and it ran fine, so they included the video to demonstrate that the pistol was working reliably.

BTW, if a gun simply does not run with a variety of factory ammo, I send in a video of it failing with the various types of factory ammo. That significantly reduces the odds that you'll get the pistol returned to you with a note saying that they could find no problem.

Phillygunguy
09-30-18, 06:29
Shot another 150 rounds today ejection is strong no issues. Runs great like my older P30

Dionysusigma
10-01-18, 20:24

My BG-coded USP Expert .45 says "HKI - Columbus GA" on the frame... :confused:

awdxtc
10-01-18, 23:55
My BG-coded USP Expert .45 says "HKI - Columbus GA" on the frame... :confused:

I would assume that has something to do with importation, I dont even think the Columbus plant is up and running yet. Can I see a picture of your slide?

montrala
10-02-18, 04:00
If frame was actually made in Germany, it will have:

CIP
N

mark. Same for slide and barrel.

If frame, or slide or barrel were made in USA (or finished from German made unfinished parts) it will not have CIP proofmarks.

Dionysusigma
10-02-18, 20:06
Ah! So it does - CIP N on the frame just aft of the "accessory rail" on the left side, on the slide just forward of the date code, and forward of the serial number on the chamber. It was the metal insert with the serial number on the frame stating "HKI - Columbus GA" that made me wonder.

Gunsnguitars
10-14-18, 22:15
I would assume that has something to do with importation, I dont even think the Columbus plant is up and running yet. Can I see a picture of your slide?

I can't imagine they are not up and running, they have been there for more than 2 years, at least, but I could be wrong.

I had no idea they were in Columbus until I drove right past them one day.

HKGuns
10-14-18, 22:31

I think you should sell it because there is no way you could trust your life to it now!

CPM
10-15-18, 07:01
You guys are worse than Glock fan boys.

.45fmjoe
10-21-18, 14:49
I played around with the P30S some more and while I thought it was fantastic, the safety didn't work well with my hand size and the fact I use an extremely high thumb grip. My dad really liked it and didn't have anything in 9mm and he shoots with a low thumb hold. Soooooo I gave dad the P30S and picked up a regular v3 P30 at Palmetto State Armory. Without the safety in my way this pistol is just the tits. I broke it in with 100 rounds of Winchester 124 gr NATO with zero issues. Ironically, I bought them both within the last couple months and they were made in September and October of 2013. Both have red colored recoil springs. I'm not sure if the P30 has gone to one recoil spring like the VP series or not.

I'm going to take the old man to the range next week with both pistols. I'm sure he will like it.