PDA

View Full Version : So Is It Still Legal To Sell M18 Smoke Grenades...?

SteyrAUG
08-20-18, 22:51
Got some about 10 years ago and used to see them for sale everywhere. Now I don't see them anyplace and only found an article about how a Navy SEAL was arrested for selling stolen military equipment.

I got mine at a gunshow so I don't need to worry about having stolen anything and I'm still a FFL/SOT and still a MIL/LE supplier so I don't need to worry about selling without creds or anything like that.

But wondering if it was still legal to sell an item like this at all. Looks like they last sold for about $100 and my paintball days are behind me, but definitely not worth the problems for a few Bennie's if they aren't good to go still.

ryanm
08-21-18, 02:45
Found a reference on an ATF site, but not sure if the fuse is an issue or not after reading it.

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/newsletter/explosive-industry-newsletter-june-2013/download

Iraqgunz
08-22-18, 04:36
The M-18 smoke grenades use an M201A1 fuze. It is my understanding based upon the BATF letter that the type of fuze used is an issue and you cannot sell them.

titsonritz
08-22-18, 14:45
The M-18 smoke grenades use an M201A1 fuze. It is my understanding based upon the BATF letter that the type of fuze used is an issue and you cannot sell them.

This is what I was told by a guy at ALS when it was coming down.

SteyrAUG
08-22-18, 16:37
This is what I was told by a guy at ALS when it was coming down.

Ok, thanks guys.

Moose-Knuckle
08-23-18, 04:23
The M18's M201A1 fuse is made with a Perchlorate mixture and Perchlorate is on the BATFE list of explosive compositions so IIRC these are gray area DD's for at least the last seven years.

A couple of years ago I heard some scuttlebutt that ALS was working on a new "civilian friendly" fuse, anyone heard anything if they ever brought to market a new smoke device that was a work around the BATFE ruling?