PDA

View Full Version : A1 and A2 Rifle Stock options

titsonritz
08-20-18, 22:57
I want to build a rifle lower but a quick search for A2 stocks came with a bunch of UTG & Anderson garbage or Specialized Armament & Brownells out of stock Colt, haven't seen one from BCM in I don't know how long. I see A2ish builds popping up, so what is everyone using? Cheap stock? Used market? Mil-surplus?

08-21-18, 04:19
I just bought one on EE from @O3SKILLS. Have not got my hands on it yet. The EE listing looked like he might have more than one. I’ll let you know what I think when I get it. Side note, is there a way to figure out the make of a used RE and stock?

Straight Shooter
08-21-18, 06:28
Have you by chance seen the Magpul MOE Stock? Im using it on an up&coming 20" build...LOVE it way better than an A2. Wider cheek rest, very easy to get into storage that is also way bigger than an A2. Just really liking the this stock a lot. Right around $66 or less on sale. Think I gave $58 for mine.

08-21-18, 06:36
I have a PRS and I love it. I would not put one on an A2 though, I have it on my target AR. With the PRS once it is set you leave it so no "fiddling" with it unless you have a need to change, I never have. It is also a fairly heavy stock.

Personally for what you describe I would keep the A2 stock and call it good. I had an ACE stock on one of my rifles for a while. I do like the looks and feel of it but it is very light so an HBAR would end up having a heavy front.

The only thing I really feel a "stock" A2 need is a better grip. The stock AR grip is to thin for me. I prefer the ERGO grips but there are many good options out there.

titsonritz
08-21-18, 13:01
Yeah I am aware of the Magpul offerings, this would be more of a retro type build so they are a no go. I do plan on putting together a dedicated precision rifle and that will most likely get get a PRS, but that is a different critter.

Thanks for the heads up 1168, I'll check out the EE too.

Vegas
08-21-18, 14:10
Mine was from White Oak Armament. Seems like a quality part to me and reasonably priced.

26 Inf
08-21-18, 15:38
Numrich Arms - I've built two using their A1 stocks:

Stock Only - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/564730A

A1 Set - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/552740A

they also have A2's:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1481070

The above are used, they also have new A2's:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/270320A

I like the shorter A1's.

JediGuy
08-21-18, 15:40
I know you specifically asked about A2, but if you just want the look but could appreciate a shorter LOP, I do like my Cav Arms A1.

titsonritz
08-21-18, 18:08
Thanks guys. I would consider an A1 as well.

08-21-18, 18:19
Numrich Arms - I've built two using their A1 stocks:

Stock Only - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/564730A

A1 Set - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/552740A

they also have A2's:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1481070

The above are used, they also have new A2's:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/270320A

I like the shorter A1's.

I know you specifically asked about A2, but if you just want the look but could appreciate a shorter LOP, I do like my Cav Arms A1.

Thanks guys. I’ve been wondering who sells aquality A1.

titsonritz
08-21-18, 18:27
Thanks guys. I’ve been wondering who sells aquality A1.

I've update the title to include the A1.

markm
08-21-18, 18:44
I used the old M16 A1 stocks from the surplus suppliers. I think I still have one. The Cavarms A1 was so-so, but not rugged enough for my tastes. I never felt like I could get it tight enough on the RE to where it wouldn't rotate with hand torque.

mack7.62
08-21-18, 18:46
Yeah I like the A1 best but I'm a nose to the charging handle kind of guy. I've still got a couple of the Canada Colt Short stocks which is the best of both worlds.
v

dmaxfireman
08-21-18, 18:50
I have been using a Fulton armory A1 with metal floor plate for several years now on my 18in. From what I have read its the cav arms stock with fulton hardware. I like it and have not had any issues, nor have I noticed the twisting that markm mentioned.

JediGuy
08-21-18, 18:52
I used the old M16 A1 stocks from the surplus suppliers. I think I still have one. The Cavarms A1 was so-so, but not rugged enough for my tastes. I never felt like I could get it tight enough on the RE to where it wouldn't rotate with hand torque.

Still like mine, super light but feels solid. However, I will eventually switch to a metal buttplate, if I can find one. Wasn’t an option when I ordered the stock.

mack7.62
08-21-18, 18:59
Here's a tip to upgrade the A1 stock, replace the butt plate with an A2 one, the A1 butt plates were prone to cracking around screw holes and only the trap door was checkered. The A2 is stronger and the entire butt is checkered, is a much better butt plate.

phixion
08-21-18, 19:10
PSA A2 stock + Colt rifle receiver extension; works well enough for me.

Anyone know of the heaviest A1 stock on the market? I'm trying to find one similar in weight to an A2 as that balances out my 16" lightweight midlength beautifully.

I wish a company would just remake the Colt CS stock.

JediGuy
08-21-18, 19:32
OP, if you want to get creative, there’s a Sully stock in the EE, and Fulton has the Guardian short stock.

Stickman
08-21-18, 20:11
On my shooting stocks that are not adjustable, the A1 is the way to go for my own shooting needs. I have a few with A2 stocks, but they end up in various pictures for clients or posting on the web.

Stickman
08-21-18, 21:28
https://78.media.tumblr.com/656bdec39c7890639bbd4c295b5998d1/tumblr_pdacvk2W581rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/79782af078dc01f6b83c2e6e45e84ad8/tumblr_pchmxhnzZL1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/012a01c348dbfce71ddbea1c9213d5df/tumblr_pcjhmudNbx1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

jsbhike
08-22-18, 06:07
Have you ever considered a Type D stock? Brownells has the modern materials version and a vendor (outer tent close to the pro shop/pole barn junction) at the last few Knob Creek weekends has had a decent pile ranging from decent to new. Think they had a few A1/A2 in similar condition back in the spring also.

Is the flimsy complaint on the Cav Arms butt due to flexing? If so, that isn't necessarily a negative versus an original A1. Better to have some bend and snap back to original shape versus cracking which is one of the positives of a PMAG for a good example.

markm
08-22-18, 10:02
Before the A5 buffer system was on the scene, I tried a lot of fixed stocks. My old house gun was a 10.5" with an A1 rifle stock because I wanted the extra reliability/smoothness of the rifle buffer system.

I pretty much ended up with the A1 you see in Stickman's 1st and 3rd pics. A2s were too long, the CAVarms, although great for a recreational gun, just was not strong enough for my home defense gun. I never broke one, but It just didn't have the strength of a military stock.

The Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock is strong a hell. It would look silly on a rifle, I bet. But I'd put that thing up against any stock out there. I run that on my house gun now.

Stickman
08-22-18, 11:22
Before the A5 buffer system was on the scene, I tried a lot of fixed stocks. My old house gun was a 10.5" with an A1 rifle stock because I wanted the extra reliability/smoothness of the rifle buffer system.

I pretty much ended up with the A1 you see in Stickman's 1st and 3rd pics. A2s were too long, the CAVarms, although great for a recreational gun, just was not strong enough for my home defense gun. I never broke one, but It just didn't have the strength of a military stock.

The Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock is strong a hell. It would look silly on a rifle, I bet. But I'd put that thing up against any stock out there. I run that on my house gun now.

All three of those stocks are A1 in the pics, the jacket just covers part of the tan stock so it is hard to tell. The A2s just aren't quite right, and that little difference is very apparent. Regarding the Magpul fixed carbine and rifle stocks, I would agree they are highly functional and say they no doubt serve a need in locations where an adjustable stock is not allowed. That being said, I don't think anyone honestly thinks they have the highest visual appeal on the market.

I would personally get the one from the below link and enjoy it.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-retro-buttstocks-prod109339.aspx

Circle_10
08-22-18, 11:40
I currently use the Brownells repro Type D's stocks on my three "Go-to"/utility ARs, previously I had used surplus A1 stocks but now reserve those for Retro builds. Adjustable stocks have a place, but for me, as a civilian, the benefits of the rifle buffer/fixed stock *usually* outweigh the lack of adjustability and I always seem to come back to fixed stocks on the guns I assemble to fill a functional purpose.

When I *Do* use adjustable stocks, they tend to be the old CAR style though.

markm
08-22-18, 12:05
Regarding the Magpul fixed carbine and rifle stocks, I would agree they are highly functional and say they no doubt serve a need in locations where an adjustable stock is not allowed. That being said, I don't think anyone honestly thinks they have the highest visual appeal on the market.

They're the A-10 Thunderbolt of the AR stock world. Bomb proof and ugly. :p

pinzgauer
08-22-18, 12:25
What's sad is I think I threw away original A1 furniture a few years ago. Now I wish I hadn't or knew where it was in my junk boxes

titsonritz
08-22-18, 14:22
Have you ever considered a Type D stock? .

I would personally get the one from the below link and enjoy it.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-retro-buttstocks-prod109339.aspx

Thanks guys, I think this might be my ticket.

markm
08-22-18, 15:52
Thanks guys, I think this might be my ticket.

Read the reviews.

khc3
08-22-18, 16:38
I don’t know why Colt doesn’t sell the C stock. Well, yeah, I do.

08-22-18, 17:14
Read the reviews.
Is the Brownells A1 stock not GTG?

markm
08-22-18, 17:16
Is the Brownells A1 stock not GTG?

I don't know. But some of the reviews weren't the greatest. Just wise to make an informed choice.

556Cliff
08-22-18, 17:21
Read the reviews.

Interesting, has anyone tried the Colt fixed stock O-rings from Specialized Armament to tighten it up? Or is all of the rattling just from the insert?

Circle_10
08-22-18, 18:38
I've got three of the Brownells stocks and while you definitely aren't going to mistake them for an original Type D, the ones I have have held up fine to regular "civilian" use, including a fair bit of use in quite cold weather and one was even mortered on the ground while cold in order to rectify an FTE. I haven't experienced the issues with the screw that one of the reviewers mentions either. The "insert" piece along the bottom of the void for the receiver extension is kinda lame though, but once mounted, my stocks don't rattle.
I also had one gun fall several feet off a table and land upside down on concrete with no effect to the stock.... although I think the Aimpoint may actually have taken the brunt of that impact (and it still worked fine too.)
That being said, I haven't jumped out of a plane with a Brownells stock or taken it to war, but I'm pretty sure I won't be either.
They do *feel* cheaper than an original, but I haven't yet seen anything to suggest they are appreciably less resilient.

markm
08-22-18, 18:45
They do *feel* cheaper than an original, but I haven't yet seen anything to suggest they are appreciably less resilient.

That's what bothered me when I tried the Cavarms stock. I never broke it, but I really like a solid feel on a fixed stock. I expect sliders to be less rugged, but I want a fixed stock to feel solid.

Stickman
08-22-18, 19:43
That's what bothered me when I tried the Cavarms stock. I never broke it, but I really like a solid feel on a fixed stock. I expect sliders to be less rugged, but I want a fixed stock to feel solid.

Good info, I think I have three A1 stocks on lowers, and a beat up fourth sitting in a drawer. I'll need to look for surplus A1s again evidently.

MistWolf
08-22-18, 21:51
Regarding the Magpul fixed carbine stocks...I don't think anyone honestly thinks they have the highest visual appeal on the market.

I like the looks of the fixed length carbine stock
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-NCmFQVr/0/c3529247/Jo9qVNr8M4IwZTyZZtJunWu5L2g%3D-1535078389-O/i-NCmFQVr.jpg

The MagPul MOE rifle stock, on the other hand, does lack visual appeal.

I think the A-10 is a good looking aircraft. It has a deadly beauty all it's own.

Stickman
08-23-18, 00:09
I like the looks of the fixed length carbine stock

Reminds me of the Abbott and Costello routine:

Costello- When I get married, I'm going to marry and ugly girl.

Abbott- Why?!

Costello- If I marry a pretty girl she might leave me.

Abbott- But an ugly girl might leave you too...

Costello- Yeah, but who cares?

:p

Circle_10
08-23-18, 02:09

I've never tried the Cav stock, so I can't compare it to the Brownells. Brownells claims the material they use in their repro Retro furniture is more rugged than the original M16/M16A1 furniture. I dunno if it's true or not but I find it plausible, given the modern materials and manufacturing etc etc. Most people using their furniture are probably sticking them on Retro builds though instead of guns that are being shot a lot in cold weather, riding around and jeeps and very tactically falling off tables, so I guess I'm the test case here. Luckily if they do break on me I have a bunch of original Type D abd A1 stocks as backup.
The somewhat less "solid" feel of the Brownells stocks don't bother me too much as while I like a fixed stock, I still wanted to keep the guns relatively light. However at one point I actually compared the weights of all my fixed stocks.
I could be misremembering this as it's been awhile but IIRC my lightest original Type D stock weighed 11oz, the Brownells actually weighed more at 13oz and the heaviest of my A1s came in at 15oz

jsbhike
08-23-18, 09:52
I haven't handled the Brownell's or Cav Arms butts, but I have been around quite a few original Type D and A1 stocks and I have noticed they seem to crack, albeit not like the "fingers" on the triangular forearm, but I assume the same material and brittleness. Granted, a crack (seems to be trap door area A1, less frequently sling mount on Type D) isn't going to bring anything grinding to an immediate halt.

The gripes I see on Cav Arms and Brownells seem to be feels flimsy (which I think some bending if the item returns back is preferable to outright breaking), doesn't feel like an original(which is obvious), or indications of wiggling unless really really snugged down which I have had happen with surplus A1 and Type D stocks. I don't think I have seen any mention of either failing though.

08-23-18, 21:40
I don't know. But some of the reviews weren't the greatest. Just wise to make an informed choice.

Thanks. The reviews are quite likewarm, indeed.