PDA

View Full Version : McCain Dead

08-25-18, 19:30
F--K Cancer, first. After that, I was always taught to not speak ill of the deceased. Read his wife may be appointed to fill seat. Wish it would be a true Conservative.

SteyrAUG
08-25-18, 20:02
I've never understood what makes a person's spouse in any way qualified to do their job.

morbidbattlecry
08-25-18, 20:11
That's too bad. Some days i hated him some days i loved him. But he served his country well i always thought.

ABNAK
08-25-18, 20:16
I have GREAT respect for his military service and what he endured as a POW. And that is it, that respect extends no further.

tb-av
08-25-18, 20:20
I've never understood what makes a person's spouse in any way qualified to do their job.

Simple.... RINO. If RINO or DEM then any family member will do. If no family available, a close friend.

From Chick Todd this evening. McCain was the last "guard rail".

Kind of an odd thing to say about someone a couple hours after they die when one is called on to comment on a live TV break in.... but that's what he centered on. The last guard rail is gone.

So to the Dems he was a RINO's RINO.

Yes cancer does suck. 81 is not bad though. That's still considered a good life.

Hmac
08-25-18, 20:52
On the news, they keep describing him as “crusty”. I’ve decided that what they really mean is “cranky old asshole”. While I do respect his service and his dedication, his effectiveness was marred by his wish-washy politics and I’m relieved he’s no longer in the Senate.

HMM
08-25-18, 20:59
I have GREAT respect for his military service and what he endured as a POW. And that is it, that respect extends no further.

Well said. I agree 100%...

Averageman
08-25-18, 22:12
On the news, they keep describing him as “crusty”. I’ve decided that what they really mean is “cranky old asshole”. While I do respect his service and his dedication, his effectiveness was marred by his wish-washy politics and I’m relieved he’s no longer in the Senate.

And to that I will raise a glass.
Very well put.

Don Robison
08-25-18, 22:23
On the news, they keep describing him as “crusty”. I’ve decided that what they really mean is “cranky old asshole”. While I do respect his service and his dedication, his effectiveness was marred by his wish-washy politics and I’m relieved he’s no longer in the Senate.I've met him twice and asshole pretty much nails him.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

26 Inf
08-26-18, 01:14
Songbird McCain. I’m glad it’s over.

From someone who was there:

November 26, 1999
John McCain in the Crucible

By JAMES B. STOCKDALE

CORONADO, Calif. -- I am not surprised by reports that Senator John McCain's political enemies have been spreading rumors that his famous temper is a sign of a broader "instability" caused by his imprisonment in Vietnam.

In fact, a few weeks ago I received a call from an old friend who is also close to the George W. Bush campaign soliciting comments on Mr. McCain's "weaknesses." As I told that caller, I think John McCain is solid as a rock.

And I consider it blasphemy to smudge the straight-arrow prisoner-of-war record of a man who was near death when he arrived at Hoa Loa prison 1967: both arms broken, left leg broken, left shoulder broken by a civilian with a rifle butt.

He was eventually taken to the same rat-infested hospital room I had occupied two years earlier, and, like me, he had surgery on his leg. By then the Vietnamese had discovered that his father was the ranking admiral in the Pacific Fleet, and he received an offer that, as far as I know, was made to no other American prisoner: immediate release, no strings attached. He refused, thereby sentencing himself to four more years in a cell.

There was a special cramped and hot privy-like structure in that Hanoi prison reserved for whichever American was causing the Vietnamese the most trouble. I was the first in the camp to be locked up in it, and I gave it the name Calcutta.

There was only room for one person at a time in the cage, and after a couple of months I was taken out and marched back to a regular cell. As I limped along, I sneaked a peek at my replacement: John McCain, hobbling along on his own bad leg.

As one of the few Americans who spent more than four years in solitary confinement during that war, I know that pride and self-respect lead to aggressiveness, and aggressiveness leads to a deep sense of joy when one is under pressure. This is hardly a character flaw.

The military psychiatrists who periodically examine former prisoners of war have found that the more resistant a man was to harsh treatment, the more emotionally stable he is likely to become later in life.

The troublemakers who endured long stretches in solitary, the men we called the tigers, are for the most part more in tune with themselves now than are those who chose the easier path of nonconfrontation, which made them "deserving" of cell mates. The psychiatrists tell us that many of those prisoners who chose a more docile existence missed out on the joy of "getting even" after release; some look back on their performances with regret.

The psychiatrists have it partly right, but the truth of imprisonment is best learned from the writings of men who have spent a lot of time in cells, like Dostoyevsky, Cervantes and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. The last described his feeling of high-mindedness in his gulag writings:

"And it was only when I lay there on rotting prison straw that I sensed within myself the first stirrings of good. Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts. . . .

And that is why I turn back to the years of my imprisonment and say, sometimes to the astonishment of those about me: 'Bless you, prison!' "

I understand that, and so does John McCain.

RetroRevolver77
08-26-18, 05:37
Wasn't he actively arming ISIS while they were burning and raping Yazidi Christians? He was a puppet for Hussein and the left so honestly, he destroyed his own reputation.

_Stormin_
08-26-18, 05:55
Respect the man's service and what he went through. Didn't care for him as just another adulterous politician. Refuse to act like I'm saddened that he is no longer in the Senate. He should have stepped down last July (or perhaps at any other point in his three and a half decades in DC).

I'll always remember the man as an honorable 23 year Navy vet who threw all that honor away for a 35 year political career.

PatrioticDisorder
08-26-18, 06:50

Not only would it be a poor choice to appoint her (not qualified, will vote milqtoast like her late husband), it sets that seat up for a likely loss in 2020.

ralph
08-26-18, 08:01

Me either, a senate seat, the last time I looked, was a elected position, and not one that's handed down from husband to wife, father to son, etc, The people of AZ. should have a say in who gets to represent them, and not the Mcstain family..

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-18, 09:33
I didn’t always agree with him, but he was a hero despite what our dear leader thinks. RIP.

jmp45
08-26-18, 09:38
McCain was a war hero and I thank him for his service as such. For his political service I will always remember him as a Republican and a Democrat. I agree with Ralph, the people of AZ should have a choice for his replacement.

Alex V
08-26-18, 12:00
I'm sure this is a rest blow to his family. I'm sure his wife and his daughter are heartbroken. Having said that, this is a good thing for the country. His wife will play Senator for a couple months, and maybe in November we will get a real Republican on that seat.

Sam
08-26-18, 13:51
Whether you like his political view or not, this man is dead, show some class. One's view, like it or not, reflects upon what others view this forum.

I've cleaned up a few posts. One more and we're done.

Renegade
08-26-18, 15:36
Can't think of a single "Maverick" vote in Congress that made America better.

Coal Dragger
08-26-18, 16:47
Didn’t always agree with his politics, voted for him once in 2008 anyway. Can’t imagine what he went through in Vietnam, I take all the “songbird” stuff with a giant grain of salt.

McCain spent his entire adult life in service to the United States in one capacity or another. He wasn’t perfect, he made mistakes, but he still got out there and put his hat in the ring. I respect that.

His fight is over and he is now hopefully at peace.

lowprone
08-26-18, 16:55
" Well Bye "

ramairthree
08-26-18, 17:57
While I have been no fan of his politics for quite a while,
I respect his wartime service and regret he had to suffer as a POW.

Business_Casual
08-26-18, 20:53
RIP Mr. McCain.

JulyAZ
08-27-18, 01:14
Me either, a senate seat, the last time I looked, was a elected position, and not one that's handed down from husband to wife, father to son, etc, The people of AZ. should have a say in who gets to represent them, and not the Mcstain family..

I’m pretty sure our state law requires the Governor to pick his replace with someone from the deceased party affiliation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Iraqgunz
08-27-18, 04:44
As do about 35 other states.

I’m pretty sure our state law requires the Governor to pick his replace with someone from the deceased party affiliation.

tb-av
08-27-18, 08:19
.... and maybe in November we will get a real Republican on that seat.

The Gov will appoint a registered Republican until 2020, then a special election for 2 years. Then in 2022 AZ will vote for their next Senator for the standard 6 years period. The cut off point for a 2018 election was a couple months ago.

elephant
08-27-18, 14:03
McCain was a Republican Frienemy. I know his death will be hard on his family and im sure his illness has been hard on them during these last years. Having said that, I respectfully disagree with him being called a "hero" just because he was shot down and became a POW. Someone once said, "he is a hero because he was captured". Very admirable for what he endured but not heroic by definition.

Never the less, cancer sucks, losing a family member or loved one sucks, seeing someone you love battling cancer sucks and the most heroic thing he ever did was decide to stop all treatment and move on. When my dad was told he out lived his expectancy, he decided not to continue his medications or treatments and died within a few days so I know that people who make those tough decisions are ready to move on and I can only imagine having to make that kind of decision. I remember reading about when he decided to stop seeking treatments, just as Barbara Bush did earlier this year. They both passed within a couple of days after. I knew that he had been informed of very bad news, he knew it was over, the battle had been lost, his war was over, the hope was gone, the journey had ended. Its depressing thinking about it but for some, its a very real experience. Its like being told your going to die within the next couple of days, do you want to die comfortably in a hospital around doctors or would you rather die peacefully at home surrounded by your loved ones. I hope the man was a follower of Christ and a true believer. If so, I know he is at peace right now it the arms of our loving savior who has made him whole again. And the great hope in the believer is in the resurrection where Jesus gathers us again to dwell with him forever, so its not goodbye, its see you later.

MountainRaven
08-27-18, 14:19
McCain was a Republican Frienemy. I know his death will be hard on his family and im sure his illness has been hard on them during these last years. Having said that, I respectfully disagree with him being called a "hero" just because he was shot down and became a POW. Someone once said, "he is a hero because he was captured". Very admirable for what he endured but not heroic by definition.

He wasn't just shot down and captured.

In October of ’67 McCain was himself still a Young Voter and flying his 23rd Vietnam combat mission and his A-4 Skyhawk plane got shot down over Hanoi and he had to eject, which basically means setting off an explosive charge that blows your seat out of the plane, which ejection broke both McCain’s arms and one leg and gave him a concussion and he started falling out of the skies right over Hanoi. Try to imagine for a second how much this would hurt and how scared you’d be, three limbs broken and falling toward the enemy capital you just tried to bomb. His chute opened late and he landed hard in a little lake in a park right in the middle of downtown Hanoi. Imagine treading water with broken arms and trying to pull the life vest’s toggle with your teeth as a crowd of Vietnamese men swim out toward you (there’s film of this, somebody had a home-movie camera, and the N.V. government released it, though it’s grainy and McCain’s face is hard to see). The crowd pulled him out and then just about killed him. U.S. bomber pilots were especially hated, for obvious reasons. McCain got bayoneted in the groin; a soldier broke his shoulder apart with a rifle butt. Plus by this time his right knee was bent 90-degrees to the side with the bone sticking out. Try to imagine this. He finally got tossed on a jeep and taken five blocks to the infamous Hoa Lo prison – a.k.a. the ‘Hanoi Hilton,’ of much movie fame – where they made him beg a week for a doctor and finally set a couple of the fractures without anesthetic and let two other fractures and the groin wound (imagine: groin wound) stay like they were. Then they threw him in a cell. Try for a moment to feel this. All the media profiles talk about how McCain still can’t lift his arms over his head to comb his hair, which is true. But try to imagine it at the time, yourself in his place, because it’s important. Think about how diametrically opposed to your own self-interest getting knifed in the balls and having fractures set without painkiller would be, and then about getting thrown in a cell to just lie there and hurt, which is what happened. He was delirious with pain for weeks, and his weight dropped to 100 pounds, and the other POWs were sure he would die; and then after a few months like that after his bones mostly knitted and he could sort of stand up they brought him in to the prison commandant’s office and offered to let him go. This is true. They said he could just leave. They had found out that McCain’s father was one of the top-ranking naval officers in the U.S. Armed Forces (which is true – both his father and grandfather were admirals), and the North Vietnamese wanted the PR coup of mercifully releasing his son, the baby-killer. McCain, 100 pounds and barely able to stand, refused, The U.S. military’s Code of Conduct for Prisoners of War apparently said that POWs had to be released in the order they were captured, and there were others who’d been in Hoa Lo a long time, and McCain refused to violate the Code. The commandant, not pleased, right there in the office had guards break his ribs, rebreak his arm, knock his teeth out. McCain still refused to leave without the other POWs. And so then he spent four more years in Hoa Lo like this, much of the time in solitary, in the dark, in a closet-sized box called a ‘punishment cell.’

Doc Safari
08-27-18, 14:23
I wasn't even going to reply to this thread other than to acknowledge I read it. That's the nicest thing I can say about McCain.

platoonDaddy
08-27-18, 14:40
If the Senate renames the Senate Office Building to the POS mccain it will be referenced as the mccain SOB!

Moose-Knuckle
08-27-18, 14:49
I won't post them here but have you guys seen the memes going around social media?

My personal favorites so far are the one's with Assad.

Digital_Damage
08-27-18, 16:37
Not sure why I'm not surprised...

The same uncouth dumb ****s are still here dragging people through the mud… even after they have died.

The guy was a Vet, a POW and committed his entire life to public service. What have you small petty people done with your lives?

26 Inf
08-27-18, 16:39
Damn. we need a like button!

Moose-Knuckle
08-27-18, 16:47
The guy was a Vet, a POW and committed his entire life to public service.

I surmise you haven't read the accounts of other Vets/POWs that were there with him in the Hanoi Hilton? I wasn't there but perhaps you were. Then there is the ISIS photo op.

John Kerry served too . . . as well as Lee Harvey Oswald, Charles Whitman, Mark Essex Christopher Dorner, et al . . .

Digital_Damage
08-27-18, 16:56
I surmise you haven't read the accounts of other Vets/POWs that were there with him in the Hanoi Hilton? I wasn't there but perhaps you were. Then there is the ISIS photo op.

John Kerry served too . . . as well as Lee Harvey Oswald, Charles Whitman, Mark Essex Christopher Dorner, et al . . .

I surmise you have not be captured and Tortured.... glass house bill badass.

Right or Wrong, he voted based on his moral compass. Might not have been my moral compass, but respect is due.

Those taking parting shots are weak little people. The guy might be remembered in infamy to some or revered by others, but he will be remembered. More so than the farts in the wind blowing hot air in here.

Moose-Knuckle
08-27-18, 17:07
I surmise you have not be captured and Tortured.... glass house bill badass.

Me? Nope, never claimed to have been either. In fact I haven't said one negative thing about McCain in this thread to include his military service. So rage on . . .

Right or Wrong, he voted based on his moral compass. Might not have been my moral compass, but respect is due.

Those taking parting shots are weak little people. The guy might be remembered in infamy to some or revered by others, but he will be remembered. More so than the farts in the wind blowing hot air in here.

One of the posts that was deleted earlier in thread was posted by an SME who I know for a fact has 96 months of combat. But as they say, you do you.

We've reached a point in our nation that if you didn't like Obama's politics you are racist, if you didn't vote for Hilary you are misogynist, and if you didn't like McCain your anti-MIL. You can't make this shit up somedays.

Todd.K
08-27-18, 17:14
... committed his entire life to public service.

What public was he serving by not resigning when he got too sick to work? Serving for the sake of duty requires stepping aside when you are impeding rather than furthering.

Over the top partisan opinions of his legacy are distasteful to me. But they come from both sides. Fake love for his bipartisanship from a party that viciously cuts down any of their members that step out of line.. should be no less uncouth.

Moose-Knuckle
08-27-18, 17:19
Over the top partisan opinions of his legacy are distasteful to me. But they come from both sides. Fake love for his bipartisanship from a party that viciously cuts down any of their members that step out of line.. should be no less uncouth.

Hell man, we got a member in this thread that has talked shit about POTUS #43 and his military service in the Air National Guard.

Digital_Damage
08-27-18, 17:28
Me? Nope, never claimed to have been either. In fact I haven't said one negative thing about McCain in this thread to include his military service. So rage on . . .

Stop with the juvenile passive aggressive obfuscation, you brought it up.

One of the posts that was deleted earlier in thread was posted by an SME who I know for a fact has 96 months of combat. But as they say, you do you.

Not what that has to do with anything. Spending a bunch of hours in theater does what exactly? Does that make you a good person with moral authority over others?

We've reached a point in our nation that if you didn't like Obama's politics you are racist, if you didn't vote for Hilary you are misogynist, and if you didn't like McCain your anti-MIL. You can't make this shit up somedays.

Save the persecution complex, it is old and tired. That statement is true of ALL politics on both sides of the spectrum.

Doc Safari
08-27-18, 17:32
Spending a bunch of hours in theater does what exactly? Does that make you a good person with moral authority over others?

One could ask the same of McCain's military service and prison camp stint.

I won't criticize his military career. He was a brave serviceman who suffered and survived it.

But I will not in any way excuse his behavior as a politician. Hero or not, this country is better off without his continued ability to vote in the Senate.

Digital_Damage
08-27-18, 17:50
One could ask the same of McCain's military service and prison camp stint.

I won't criticize his military career. He was a brave serviceman who suffered and survived it.

But I will not in any way excuse his behavior as a politician. Hero or not, this country is better off without his continued ability to vote in the Senate.

uhhh no... that did not make him the moral authority

His constituents voted for him... That made him their representation to express their position on morals. You know... the very basis of how this government operates.

Doc Safari
08-27-18, 17:53
uhhh no... that did not make him the moral authority

His constituents voted for him... That made him their representation to express their position on morals. You know... the very basis of how this government operates.

True. He may have voted on behalf of his constituents, but then again we know that politicians nowadays don't necessarily actually represent the people, so who knows? I only judge his actions, not his motivations. If Arizona still loves him, more power to 'em. He's been bad for the overall convservative message, though.

I will also be nice about it and say that his military experience no doubt caused extensive emotional and psychological damage. We cannot judge him by the standards accorded a person with more mundane experiences.

Again: I judge his actions and not his motivations. His actions as a politician have NOT been beneficial to the country.

ralph
08-27-18, 18:33

I'm fine with that as long as the replacement is'nt the deceased's wife, son, daughter, etc..someone who is'nt a Mccain, or related to them. As a country, we don't need any more family political dynastys.. The Kennedys were bad enough.

platoonDaddy
08-27-18, 18:47
Frank Sinatra as 'Major Bennet Marco':

I tell ya, there's something phony going on. There's something phony about me, about Raymond Shaw, about the whole Medal of Honor business... I said: 'Raymond Shaw is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life, and even now I feel that way - this minute. And yet, somewhere in the back of my mind, something tells me it's not true. It's just not true. It isn't as if Raymond's hard to like. He's impossible to like. In fact, he's probably one of the most repulsive human beings I've ever known in my whole - all of my life.

elephant
08-27-18, 19:26
No one is taking away the fact that he served our military or was held captive as a POW. That is one thing by itself. Its always worth remember those who were POW's and those who have served and are currently serving our military. There is honor in serving this your and compassion and honor to those who were POW's as well as wounded veterans. I have a lot of admiration for those who have endured torture or loss of life or limb in the name of freedom.

However, being a senator is a completely separate thing. Yes theoretically, he served the state of Arizona as a representative. But in my opinion, which does NOT matter, I feel as though he represented his own agenda rather than representing the state of Arizona as a whole. But that's politics and that's the name of the game.

You can NOT apply his Vietnam war history and the terrible things he had experienced to give credit or merit to his political career. These things must remain separate. He was a POW and he was also a Senator from Arizona.

I am sad to hear that he has passed and I pray for peace and strength to be multiplied to his family during this time. But too many people are using his POW status to give credibility to his political career.

TXBK
08-27-18, 20:09
I just don’t understand all of this John McCain worship that’s going on everywhere, right now. I’ll keep my opinions of him to myself, but I know how his family feels and I know that pain. I pray for his family to not feel that pain, because it is an awful feeling. His service to this country ended with his military career. FN period. His political career servred no one other than himself. There are so many young men and women that have died “truly” serving this country that never had any flag flown at half staff, that I don’t understand why John McCain is getting all of this national treasure praise. Bizzarro World.

AndyLate
08-27-18, 20:26
I just don’t understand all of this John McCain worship that’s going on everywhere, right now. Bizzarro World.

You said what I was thinking but couldn't put into words (pretty much your whole post, but I cropped it for emphasis).

Today I told one of my co-workers that I don't understand how he wasn't elected president, the Democrats all love him so much.

Andy

Hmac
08-27-18, 20:43
I thought McCain was a bad Senator that did not represent my conservative beliefs at all well. Having said that, I did vote for him for President on the Lesser-of-Two-Evils ticket. Despite his performance as a Senator, if he had been elected President I'm confident that he would have served the country more effectively than Obama did.

Note that this has nothing to do with his honorable long-term commitment to public service, for which he is rightfully being remembered with respect.

Hulkstr8
08-27-18, 20:51
I defended John McCain in high school when he ran for president, only to see him as a scumbag as I grew up a little more. Makes you think Achilles made the right call going to Troy.

TXBK
08-27-18, 20:57
Note that this has nothing to do with his honorable long-term commitment to public service, for which he is rightfully being remembered with respect.

Long-term commitment, to what? Himself? I voted for him too. How does his “possible” involvement in targeting conservatives by the IRS make you feel? Being an elected official is not an automatic indicator of service to our country in my eyes. Perhaps I wear roes-colored glasses? He got paid way more money for being a congressman/senator than service member in the military.

tb-av
08-27-18, 22:11
I just don’t understand all of this John McCain worship that’s going on everywhere, right now.

It's because he was a RINO..... I mean Maverick. I can just about guarantee that "all this...." is coming from Liberal outlets. Not sure what you are hearing personally, but I expect it's Liberal media.

He was their darling AND they can ----easily---- justify their opinion by his service as a soldier. He's a fn Liberal gold mine AND they can easily reflect him towards Trump and paint Trump in a bad light just as easily. It's a Libearal Trifecta.... 1st one more R gone. 2nd they can show how being friends with Dems is the way to praise 3rd they can bash Trump in the same breath.

I would be stunned and amazed if the Liberal media didn't ride this wave for all it's worth.

I just don't like the politician but I have no issues calling him a hero. I mean he volunteered multiple times for combat. Got the Bronze Star. Spent 2 years on solitary in Nam. I would not wish that latter one on my worst enemy. I'm sure there are many people that will never be known that endured more and may have achieved more. Right this minute there is probably some unknown doing something heroic for our greater good. but John McCain has nothing to do with that. He simply said, I want in on this poker game and played the only cards he was given. He wasn't the dealer.

I'll be honest I don't know much about the 'song bird' aspect, I could care less if he crashed a bunch of planes if the .mil said keep gettin' up then the lost planes are on them.

Now this is not to say a Liberal can't be Patriot but I believe all this McCain love you see on tv and the radio is quite simply 80% politics as usual simply because he was pretty much their guy.

Have you heard any politicians say he won me over to his side? I haven't. Maybe it did happen. I have yet to hear a Dem say "I was wrong and John set me straight".

Schumer sums it up right here.... Ironically as Schumer speaks about the ship with surrender written on it, it's as though McCain was surrendering to the Dems on this issue. Not what Schumer was trying to say, but that sure looks to be a Freudian slip to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG7X3kKS2SA

Look how happy Schumer is. He just said.... McCain told him he agreed with Trump on "most" things. They go to his special private office. Two powerful images are present and the third and most powerful image is "surrender". So McCain votes against his party. That is Chuck Schumer's memorable image of McCain. ... and why wouldn't it be if you are the leading Liberal of the Dem party.

tb-av
08-27-18, 22:23
Today I told one of my co-workers that I don't understand how he wasn't elected president, the Democrats all love him so much.

Andy

The same reason our beloved pets don't sit at the head of the dinner table. They loved him in his place.

RetroRevolver77
08-27-18, 23:06
They need to audit McCain's charity.

26 Inf
08-27-18, 23:39
Hell man, we got a member in this thread that has talked shit about POTUS #43 and his military service in the Air National Guard.

Dude, I ask again, are you stalking me?

26 Inf
08-27-18, 23:41
His actions as a politician have NOT been beneficial to the country.

People have different opinions on that.

SteyrAUG
08-28-18, 02:29
Not sure why I'm not surprised...

The same uncouth dumb ****s are still here dragging people through the mud… even after they have died.

The guy was a Vet, a POW and committed his entire life to public service. What have you small petty people done with your lives?

Bill Clinton committed his entire life to public service, not sure that is always a good thing.

His status as a veteran and POW bought him a LOT of consideration with me. Said it before and I'll say it again, won't fault any POW for breaking under pressure, few of us know how well we would fare.

But veteran status doesn't automatically earn you carte blanch. Bush 41 was a veteran and one of the worst Presidents we've ever had, single handedly destroyed a hard built alliance with Iraq (one of the few mostly secular muslim countries in the ME). LBJ was a veteran and a disaster of a President.

But back to McCain. Let's not forget his involvement with the S&L scandal as one of the Keating Five. That tarnished his reputation just a little bit and for somebody banking on their "integrity" he should have known better. Then something strange happened prior to the 2000 election, McCain seemed like the obvious nominee and then he criticized certain televangelists (and perhaps rightly so) and the party he thought had his back suddenly turned on a dime and the religious right contingent of the GOP went after him hard.

Then came Bush Jr. who said all the right things concerning religion and that was the end of that story. I think McCain took it as a personal betrayal and has since then not missing an opportunity for payback and stepping across the aisle.

Then when he finally got his chance in 2008 instead of fighting for his party he basically conceded the election before anyone even voted. By winning the primary but not fighting the election he doomed us to Obama.

I never wished him genuine harm, never wished him a premature death but I certainly wished he was out of politics but I probably wish that about 80% of Congress on a given day.

Hmac
08-28-18, 05:19
Long-term commitment, to what? Himself? I voted for him too. How does his “possible” involvement in targeting conservatives by the IRS make you feel? Being an elected official is not an automatic indicator of service to our country in my eyes. Perhaps I wear roes-colored glasses? He got paid way more money for being a congressman/senator than service member in the military.
Did I forget to mention that I voted for him for President as the lesser of two evils?

I don’t know what kind of glasses you’re wearing but we do see McCain’s career differently. I don’t discount someone’s long term service just because they don’t share my views.

Moose-Knuckle
08-28-18, 05:34
Stop with the juvenile passive aggressive obfuscation, you brought it up.

Actually all I commented on was meme's making the rounds on social media then you went off on no one particular. Again, I have yet to say anything negative about your boy.

Not what that has to do with anything. Spending a bunch of hours in theater does what exactly? Does that make you a good person with moral authority over others?

Says the guy using McCain's service against his critics.

Save the persecution complex, it is old and tired. That statement is true of ALL politics on both sides of the spectrum.

Who has called non-R voters racists/misandrists/et al.?

Moose-Knuckle
08-28-18, 05:41
Dude, I ask again, are you stalking me?

Don't hate me because I have videographic recall. I was even trying to be nice and not mention any names, I tried . . . lordy did I try. :p

crusader377
08-28-18, 07:19
My view on McCain is this, I 100% respect his military service and his sacrifices to our country while he served.

However, his service as a politician has been very marginal at best. First, he wasn't that wise elder statesman instead he was an unbalanced war-monger who always found excuses to deploy young Americans in harms way. His involvement in the S&L scandal in the late 1980s certainly was troubling. Also, despite being a veteran and experiencing horrible treatment as a POW, he wasn't a strong ally for veterans. End of the day, he was a politician and I think the veneration he is receiving is over the top.

Doc Safari
08-28-18, 09:08
Then came Bush Jr. who said all the right things concerning religion and that was the end of that story. I think McCain took it as a personal betrayal and has since then not missing an opportunity for payback and stepping across the aisle.

Yes, I saw him as a vindictive scumbag who put his personal vendettas ahead of what's good for the country. That automatically makes him a corrupt politician in my book.

RetroRevolver77
08-28-18, 09:52
Yes, I saw him as a vindictive scumbag who put his personal vendettas ahead of what's good for the country. That automatically makes him a corrupt politician in my book.

Anyway, I'll say it: I'M GLAD THE SON OF A BITCH IS DEAD.

So the word is, he was compromised, how much so will likely remain sealed for the sake of keeping the peace within the country. If you read what Q was saying, McCain was essentially not given an option for the pre-scheduled assisted suicide. The whole charade of dying the day after suspending treatment was the "official" cover. Thirty days prior to his death, Q posted down to the exact minute and day when "No Name" as he refers to him was scheduled to go. The statement read "every dog gets his day", time stamp 4:28PM and sure enough, on that exact same minute thirty days later- as predicted on "national dog day" of all days, he was gone. Not even kidding. Go research this yourself, it's on several public forums. I was actually like, damn, they aren't messing around anymore- this is getting serious. For the record, I'm just a guy reading public forums, so I have no information other that the Q posts and people's speculation as to what's happening behind the scenes.

Doc Safari
08-28-18, 09:54
So the word is, he was compromised, how much so will likely remain sealed for the sake of keeping the peace within the country. If you read what Q was saying, McCain was essentially not given an option for the pre-scheduled assisted suicide. The whole charade of dying the day after suspending treatment was the "official" cover. Thirty days prior to his death, Q posted down to the exact minute and day when "No Name" as he refers to him was scheduled to go. The statement read "every dog gets his day", time stamp 4:28PM and sure enough, on that exact same minute thirty days later- as predicted on "national dog day" of all days, he was gone. Not even kidding. Go research this yourself, it's on several public forums. I was actually like, damn, they aren't messing around anymore- this is getting serious.

Supposedly he died nine years TO THE DAY after Ted Kennedy, and of the same rare brain cancer. How does your antenna receive that one?

Averageman
08-28-18, 10:20

Mmmm
Just thinking that had my Grandfather and Father both attained the rank of Admiral and I was a mediocre High School Student, even I would have likely also been accepted to the Naval Academy. If while at the Naval Academy had my behavior been so bad and I had racked up so many demerits that my future at the Naval Academy been in such jeopardy that my Father, the Admiral had to be summoned to chastise me, even I might have behaved well enough to graduated fifth from the bottom of my Class. Had my performance at the Naval Academy been so dismal that I graduated fifth from last, if my Grandfather and Father been Admirals, perhaps even I would have been selected for Flight School.
But I doubt all of the above would have been available to me, because I simply didn't have the opportunities or advantages of having such esteemed Family members.
So I wont speak about his service, I've served with good Men and not so good Men.
John McCain served and did so under many, many adverse conditions and when captured, he did everything he possibly could to remain loyal to the Service.

John McCain had some bright moments in Political Office, but he also had some real stinkers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five
Lincoln Savings and Loan collapsed in 1989, at a cost of $3.4 billion to the federal government (and thus taxpayers). Some 23,000 Lincoln bondholders were defrauded and many investors lost their life savings. The substantial political contributions Keating had made to each of the senators, totaling $1.3 million, attracted considerable public and media attention. After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committee determined in 1991 that Cranston, DeConcini, and Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB's investigation of Lincoln Savings, with Cranston receiving a formal reprimand. Senators Glenn and McCain were cleared of having acted improperly but were criticized for having exercised "poor judgment".

The above perhaps being the worst of those incidents.
Later after his failed run for the Presidency, McCain seemed almost vindictive at times. He relished being called and known as a Maverick, but many times he simply appeared to be contentious and difficult to show loyalty to his Party, or the conservative people who put and kept him in office.

Some here would like to hail him, others are more harsh and point out his failures.
When I look at his biography and his performance I however see a Man capable of greatness at times, but his temper and perhaps his flawed personality kept him from achieving his true potential.
He simply wasted a lot of things that would never be available to other Men who might have been able to rise above their personal needs and actually acheive so much more.

RetroRevolver77
08-28-18, 10:20
Supposedly he died nine years TO THE DAY after Ted Kennedy, and of the same rare brain cancer. How does your antenna receive that one?

I remember when McCain had that leg brace on for a while, then suddenly the leg brace switched to his other leg. As if perhaps he removed an ankle monitor then to make a statement- they switched the leg it was on so he'd have to explain that.

Doc Safari
08-28-18, 10:23
I remember when McCain had that leg brace on for a while, then suddenly the leg brace switched to his other leg. As if perhaps he removed an ankle monitor then to make a statement- they switched the leg it was on so he'd have to explain that.

Ankle monitor? For what?

RetroRevolver77
08-28-18, 10:24
Ankle monitor? For what?

Tribunals.

https://yournewswire.com/mccain-clinton-ankle-monitors-criminal-trial/