PDA

View Full Version : Curio and Relic FFL holders

theJanitor
10-28-08, 21:26
what did it take to get your C&R license? i'm thinking of applying for one, but there doesn't seem to be much legit first hand knowledge of what steps were taken and what was done by the BATFE.

TIA,

Kent

BigJim #1-8
10-28-08, 22:53
Call the ATF.
They will send you an application.
Fill it out,you must bring a copy to the leading LEO in your town.
Send in said application.
After your FBI background check you should get your license.
$30.00,3 year term.

b hussein is NOT an option:mad:

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

bsf
10-28-08, 23:21
OP, this is just a rough estimate. In the ~5 years I have had a C&R license, it has probably saved me and family members I purchase for ~20 times the cost of the original license and renewal. Brownells, MidwayUSA, and Hunting Shack Munitions are three vendors/manufacturers I did much business with that provide discounts for C&R license (FFL Type 03) holders. I cannot tell you how happy I am with the prices I got at HSM last year because of the discount. Filling it out is not hard. The net is full of information on C&R License application. Google it.

Call the ATF.
They will send you an application.
Fill it out,you must bring a copy to the leading LEO in your town.
Send in said application.
After your FBI background check you should get your license.
$30.00,3 year term.

b hussein is NOT an option:mad:

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Are you sure about the info in red? In the past, all I have done is mail a copy to the CLEO. I have no intention of stepping foot inside the building housing my CLEO’s office, so I hope rules have not changed.

BigJim #1-8
10-29-08, 09:29
I know it states that a copy must be given to the LEO in charge,I don't recall if mailing it in or delivering it in person is required.
Ask the ATF when asking for the application.
You're correct that Brownells & others will give dealer status to C&R holders,great discounts.

b hussein is NOT an option

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

bsf
10-29-08, 10:51
I know it states that a copy must be given to the LEO in charge,I don't recall if mailing it in or delivering it in person is required.
Ask the ATF when asking for the application.
You're correct that Brownells & others will give dealer status to C&R holders,great discounts.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Well, it appears the form (5310.16) cannot be downloaded anymore. That is how I obtained my application years ago. Unless regulations have changed, mailing the form is ok. I think it is a silly requirement. The CLEO's office probably just tosses it in the circular file. Their approval is not required.

theJanitor
10-29-08, 11:02
you just list your home address, right? do they come and do an inspection? what do i do if i move residence?

Cold Zero
10-29-08, 12:01
you just list your home address, right?

Yes.

do they come and do an inspection?

No. Good luck.

theJanitor
10-29-08, 12:04
thanks!! back in 2000 or so, i had this idea that i would start a gunsmithing business. i got the papers filled out, fingerprints taken at the local PD, etc. i just couldn't find a location. so i dropped it and never even thought about the C&R FFL.

packinheavy
10-29-08, 13:06
I just mailed a copy to the CLEO.

It took less than 2 weeks for me to get my C&R license after I sent in the application. :eek:

bsf
10-29-08, 14:06
you just list your home address, right? yes

do they come and do an inspection? not likely. I believe inspections are addressed in the paperwork, but IIRC the rules are different for Type 03 licensees.

what do i do if i move residence? Call and ask.
;) ..

mtk
10-29-08, 19:02
you just list your home address, right? do they come and do an inspection? what do i do if i move residence?

Yes, your home address, as this is the only address you can have your C&R stuff shipped to as it will appear on the license.

They can inspect your "bound book" annually, but this can be done at their offices. From what I gather, such inspections are rare.

If you move, prepare for a nightmare. From everything I've read, getting your address changed on a C&R is next to impossible. In theory, it is one form you send to ATF. In reality, you might wait a year to get a replacement license with your new address.

BigJim #1-8
10-29-08, 20:38
Actually I moved with just over a year left on my license.Called the ATF,they sent out forms,filled them out,copy to new CLEO.New license in less than a week.Was only good for remainder of term,had to reapply the next year.
Hope this helps.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!