PDA

View Full Version : Converting Rifle Into “Firearm”

HKUSP.40
08-26-18, 15:31
I know you cannot convert a Rifle into a Pistol. However, can you convert a rifle into a “firearm” (>26” , no butt stock, and has a vertical grip.)?

Circle_10
08-26-18, 16:55
I think adding the vertical grip puts you into AOW territory.

I also think to be a "Firearm" it has to be new-manufactured in a configuration that meets the definition. If it leaves the factory as something other than a "Firearm" I don't believe you can make it into one legally without going through the NFA process.

MistWolf
08-26-18, 17:06
A rifle must have a barrel that is at least 16 inches in length with an overall length of 26 inches, whether is has an actual buttstock or not and remains a rifle.

Circle_10
08-26-18, 17:33
For some reason I read that as "less than 26 inches", I should probably try and get my "<" and ">" symbols straight.

NYH1
08-30-18, 12:54
A rifle must have a barrel that is at least 16 inches in length with an overall length of 26 inches, whether is has an actual buttstock or not and remains a rifle.
A manufacture can't build a rifle with a 11.5" barrel and an overall length of 26" and call it a firearm? Like Mossberg's Shockwave and Remington's TAC-14? Are shotguns different in that regard?

NYH1.

Tx_Aggie
08-30-18, 13:36
A manufacture can't build a rifle with a 11.5" barrel and an overall length of 26" and call it a firearm? Like Mossberg's Shockwave and Remington's TAC-14? Are shotguns different in that regard?

NYH1.

If either the Shockwave or Tac-14 had started life as a shotgun (smoothbore with a buttstock), then neither would be eligible for the "firearm" classification.

They are "firearms" under the GCA because they are built on virgin receivers (have never been constructed as long guns), do not have buttstocks, have barrels less than 18.5" (the cut off for shotgun vs SBS), and have an overall length greater than 26".

If you put a standard pistol grip in place of the birdshead grip on to a Shockwave/Tac-14 it becomes an AOW. If you add a shoulder stock instead, it becomes an SBS.

https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

Franklin Armory does sell a "firearm" made from AR receivers that has a short barrel and an overall length over 26," but again they begin life as stripped receivers and not as "rifles."

https://www.franklinarmory.com/collections/xo-series/products/franklin-armory-xo-26-r2

longshot2000
08-30-18, 20:59
Firearms laws are not to be reasoned with, but read. Between the NFA (1934) and the GCA (1968) and the FOPA (1986), each was passed independently of the other (although the FOPA amended the NFA at the time). If one tries to read logic and reason or any grand design, he will be discouraged. These are three barely connected laws that together, taken as a whole, make very, very little common sense. Just read and apply the law. Not logic. Not reason.

Bret
08-31-18, 09:53
If you're saying that having a barrel length >= 16" along with an overall length >= 26" makes it a rifle, then that's not always correct.
https://www.facebook.com/JDIFirearms/photos/a.795466910478089/1910204002337702/?type=3

MistWolf
08-31-18, 12:03
That is NOT what I'm saying. What I am saying is, a rifle must have a minimum barrel length of 16" and a minimum overall length of 26" whether it has a rifle stock or not.

You may not take a rifle, remove the buttstock, install a barrel shorter than 16" while maintaining an overall length of 16" or more and call it a "firearm" because it will be a short barreled rifle.

You can, however, legally do so with a pistol.

HKUSP.40
09-02-18, 21:17
Ok so basically once a rifle, always a rifle. Can’t convert to a pistol nor a “firearm.”