PDA

View Full Version : 3-9x Scope for Deer Hunting

buckshot1220
10-28-08, 22:03
Looking to buy a 3-9x scope for my .30-06 Winchester 70. The gun will be used for deer hunting with shots ranging out to 200 yards. I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x on another gun that I am pleased with, so the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x is certainly one of the contenders. Price should be around $200. I'm looking for a good quality optic, not necessarily something that is minute-of-pinhead accurate, just minute-of-lung accurate so to speak;) Any suggestions? As always thanks a bunch!

P.S. Anyone have experience with Millett? I've used their rings before but never got to inspect their optics up close.

LettersFromEarth
10-29-08, 11:39
Looking to buy a 3-9x scope for my .30-06 Winchester 70. The gun will be used for deer hunting with shots ranging out to 200 yards. I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x on another gun that I am pleased with, so the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x is certainly one of the contenders. Price should be no more than $150. I'm looking for a good quality optic, not necessarily something that is minute-of-pinhead accurate, just minute-of-lung accurate so to speak;) Any suggestions? As always thanks a bunch!

P.S. Anyone have experience with Millett? I've used their rings before but never got to inspect their optics up close.

I've got some time with Millett optics and for the most part they are okay. The MADE IN CHINA thing does bother me greatly, though. If you could swing 50 bucks more it will open up some very good doors for you and get you into an optic from Burris, Bushnell, or Weaver. I do happen to like Bushnell 'Elite' optics for what you propose. Start at the 3200 series and work your way up. I bet they will have you covered.

But, if you cant come off your price cap, look into Sightron SII optics. They have a pretty good line of glass and are a good value for sure Good luck.

Damascus
10-29-08, 13:51
+1. The Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 series are great scopes for the money. But, like you, I love Nikons. I've owned several, and I believe they're Monarch scopes are the absolute best scopes out there for the price you pay.
If 200 yards is your maximum range, you really could get by with even less magnification than 3-9x... The Millet DMS 1-4x24 scope would make a great short range deer rifle scope - light and tough.
Also, have you looked at the Leupold Rifleman line? There are some superb options there too, for right around your price range, and Leupold's warranty and customer service is tops.
Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose, and may your freezer be blessed with pounds upon pounds of deer meat ;)

buckshot1220
10-29-08, 16:57
Thanks for the info guys. After posting last night I looked around and decided to go up to the $200 range as that will include a bunch more quality scopes, including the lower end of the Leupold line. I've looked into the Monarch line, that is the main reason why I am increasing my price range.

Boss302
10-29-08, 17:03
You really can't beat a Leupold. I've an old Vari-X 3-9x30 on the .22lr, and a new VX-III 4.5-14x40 on my FN PBRxp. Great scopes and American Made.