PDA

View Full Version : Large "woods" sidearm used for dual threats, carry 2nd gun? Compromise gun?

Ron3
08-28-18, 14:28
For those who travel by automobile and hike, hunt, visit, etc.

If you carry large sidearm (bigger than say, a Glock 10mm, or a magnum revolver) intended for four legged threats (mainly talking about long-barreled and / heavy revolvers) do you rely on the same sidearm for two-legged threats as well? Do you change ammo? (heavy penetrators in woods, easier shooting JHP when not) Or do you carry a second gun for human threats?

Lets say you have a big, magnum revolver you carry in the woods. Do you keep it concealed and ready when you stop for gas? Go inside a restaurant? Visit friends? Go to a museum?

Or do you just carry a smaller gun with less powerful cartridge for your "woods/hiking" sidearm? The compromise. (Full-size or smaller 10mm/.45/.40)

RetroRevolver77
08-28-18, 14:42
I was going to set up my Colt Gold Cup for .45 Super. Not so much as a defensive pistol but more so for hunting. I wanted to be sure it would be safe to fire with changing out recoil springs, firing pin spring, adding a guide rod etc. I'm just lazy it's still sitting in the box but will test it out this fall. I used to carry a 629 5" that I had dialed in at 100 yards as a hunting rig.

Honu
08-28-18, 14:49
been wanting to get a 10mm for around here in Arizona figure its a good all around setup for most any 4 legger I come across

I do once in a while see cowboys stopping in with the horses in tow etc.. usually some kinda wheel gun on the side found that kinda cool when I first moved here

C-grunt
08-28-18, 14:51
I either carry my big revolvers (44 mag or 45 Colt) and use it for bear and people protection, or I carry a normal gun (Glock 19, etc..) and keep a rifle or shotgun nearby. Really depends on my mood that day.

Ron3
08-28-18, 14:51
I got my GP100 .44 special for a hiking gun.

I intended to carry a more self-defense oriented pistol and the GP100. But after shooting it some I've learned to appreciate it's adaptability. I could just use the hot stuff (255 gr SWC @950 fps est. from the 3-inch barrel) while in the woods and swap out with some lower recoiling personal defense type ammo when in public and just carry it like I normally carry a sidearm.

Then I became curious about what people who go out with really big guns, like .44 mags and bigger, do. A relative of mine, for example, might be out in the woods with a big handgun or a rifle. But he keeps an LCP in his pocket, too.

Ron3
08-28-18, 14:54
I either carry my big revolvers (44 mag or 45 Colt) and use it for bear and people protection, or I carry a normal gun (Glock 19, etc..) and keep a rifle or shotgun nearby. Really depends on my mood that day.

When you carry a big revolver, do you change out ammo if your going to be out of the woods for awhile? (Visiting someone, go to a restaurant, etc.) Do you conceal it?

sgtrock82
08-28-18, 15:43
In PA I believe, you cannot carry a semi auto pistol even with a ccw, as when you are in the woods game law applies and semis are verboten under game law, regardless of season. You can carry roundy rounders. Id carry my Colt 1917 if it wasnt constantly trying to pull my pants down. It practically demands to be carried Han Solo style

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

AndyLate
08-28-18, 16:39
I do/would not carry a second handgun when carrying my .44 Mountain Gun. If I am dressed to conceal it, I would just carry it it into the gas station, resteraunt, etc. I don't feel the need to change ammo, even though a light jhp is a better anti personnel round than the heavy swc or flat point bullets I load it with.

In truth, I am much more likely to carry a 22 caliber handgun with a rifle or a .357/9mm/380 outdoors. I don't live where the big bears are any more.

gaijin
08-28-18, 16:54
I carry a single, .4X cal MG when hunting.
Our state is Constitutional Carry so wearing my revolver into town is no problem.
When, if I change clothes to go to dinner or whatever (while hunting), I switch to a Winter EDC pistol.

flenna
08-28-18, 17:53
When backpacking or hunting I carry my G30. Loaded with 230 grn Hydrashok it will take care of any 2 or 4 legged threats in my locale and is compact enough to conceal if I need to.

B Cart
08-28-18, 18:05
I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and always carry my Glock 20 in 10mm. When outdoors, i carry the 200gr DoubleTap Hardcast ammo, and when I’m back home, my 10mm goes in my closet with 180gr JHP ammo. My EDC is a Glock 19 or Sig P365.

Business_Casual
08-28-18, 18:14
For those who travel by automobile and hike, hunt, visit, etc.

If you carry large sidearm (bigger than say, a Glock 10mm, or a magnum revolver) intended for four legged threats (mainly talking about long-barreled and / heavy revolvers) do you rely on the same sidearm for two-legged threats as well? Do you change ammo? (heavy penetrators in woods, easier shooting JHP when not) Or do you carry a second gun for human threats?

Lets say you have a big, magnum revolver you carry in the woods. Do you keep it concealed and ready when you stop for gas? Go inside a restaurant? Visit friends? Go to a museum?

Or do you just carry a smaller gun with less powerful cartridge for your "woods/hiking" sidearm? The compromise. (Full-size or smaller 10mm/.45/.40)

I voted service caliber. What animal in Florida, out of interest, are most concerned about?

Ron3
08-28-18, 18:34
I voted service caliber. What animal in Florida, out of interest, are most concerned about?

Not just Florida, anywhere in the lower 48 I may go.

grnamin
08-28-18, 18:56
There's always 9mm. :)
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
08-28-18, 19:47
I mirror what's already been posted. Day to day is a Glock 19, but if I need to be concerned about four legged things that might be waiting for me, it's Glock 20 with DoubleTap. (Which I consider a big pistol.)

Business_Casual
08-28-18, 20:04
Not just Florida, anywhere in the lower 48 I may go.

I talked to a Park Ranger that stopped a black bear with a Glock 27. I doubt there’s any pistol that would be prudent for Browns.

SteyrAUG
08-28-18, 20:13
My sidearm probably won't change but I will sling a long rifle as well.

FlyingHunter
08-28-18, 20:22
My sidearm probably won't change but I will sling a long rifle as well.

As a very experienced big game hunter, SteyrAUG's answer is correct.

AKDoug
08-28-18, 21:04
I carry a G20 in 10mm in the woods or on days I'm in public and in the woods. G19 the rest of the time.

Also a very experienced big game hunter.. a handgun, regardless of caliber, is a poor substitute for a good rifle. I honestly feel safer in the woods unarmed than I do around people unarmed. Pretty tough to hand cut brush with a slung rifle, so sometimes I have to compromise.

SteyrAUG
08-28-18, 22:20
I carry a G20 in 10mm in the woods or on days I'm in public and in the woods. G19 the rest of the time.

Also a very experienced big game hunter.. a handgun, regardless of caliber, is a poor substitute for a good rifle. I honestly feel safer in the woods unarmed than I do around people unarmed. Pretty tough to hand cut brush with a slung rifle, so sometimes I have to compromise.

Up to and including checking on bear bait near Fairbanks, I'd never consider doing anything of the sort with just a handgun. Lots of things can do a lot of damage even though you've put a couple .44 mag rounds in them. And sometimes I can sling a .308 easier than I can holster a hand cannon.

Of course I'm also not going to be hacking brush and stuff of that sort, that's for kids younger than me, plus I like to keep 50 yards of visible terrain at a minimum. I'm too old to be playing "Holy Crap what is that?"

THCDDM4
08-28-18, 23:43
I like options. In any situation. Always have a rifle or shotgun and a handgun on or near me. Specific situation and area dictates exactly what firearms are needed.

Det-Sog
08-29-18, 00:12
A mix for me... For woods/desert - I'll carry a 10mm in the form of a G20 or a Springfield TRP 1911, or a S&W .44 mag..

In town, I'll carry the usual flavor of standard EDC stuff, BUT, now that I have that TRP Operator 1911 in 10mm, it's going to get carry/nightstand duty from time to time also. If I'm ever feeling "cowboy" I'll wear my S&W PC V-comp .44 mag with pride. I haven't worn the .44 in public yet though. I like to stay incognito.

Ron3
08-29-18, 06:47
I figured 10mm, especially in Glock form, would be popular when going into wooded and public areas the same day.

After owning a G29, G20, and G20SF, and shooting a relatives G40 a few outings, the G40 is my favorite.

It's a big, long pistol. But somehow it makes the heavy 10mm loads (200 gr 1250 fps) noticeably easier to shoot well compared to the G20's.

A 3 or 4 inch revolver is easier to carry than that G40. And more concealable, too.

Arik
08-29-18, 06:53
Camping I carry a Glock 21 and a VZ58. Ive dragged AKs out before but the VZ is a little lighter. Don't feel like buying a G20 just for an occasional camping trip.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

GH41
08-29-18, 08:06

In the deep south you spend a lot of time watching where you step even in the winter. Snakes and gators will sun themselves but may be too sluggish to get out of your way. The problem with watching you feet is you are not looking ahead. I have jumped 2 deer less than 10 feet away but both times it was windy and raining. I have never seen a panther but have seen their tracks. Don't forget that black bears are common in Florida and south Georgia. They aren't aggressive but you probably don't want to step on one.

Ron3
08-29-18, 08:18
Most of the "woods" I go in to are State or Federal Parks. No long guns. Handguns concealed only.

Ron3
08-29-18, 08:20
In the deep south you spend a lot of time watching where you step even in the winter. Snakes and gators will sun themselves but may be too sluggish to get out of your way. The problem with watching you feet is you are not looking ahead. I have jumped 2 deer less than 10 feet away but both times it was windy and raining. I have never seen a panther but have seen their tracks. Don't forget that black bears are common in Florida and south Georgia. They aren't aggressive but you probably don't want to step on one.

And pigs and dogs. They are dangerous, too.

GH41
08-29-18, 08:41
And pigs and dogs. They are dangerous, too.

I never felt threatened by pigs. Everything the do is noisy. I forgot about packs of wild dogs.

crusader377
08-29-18, 09:18
I only carry a service size or smaller handgun either a M&P Shield or a full size M&P. The reality is the biggest threat to your safety hiking or camping in the lower 48 with possible exception of grizzly country in Montana and Wyoming is meeting some random a**hole on the hiking trail. Knowing that, I would much rather carry a standard service pistol with 15+ rds of 9mm than a heavier and slower pistol chambered in a larger caliber with less capacity.

B Cart
08-29-18, 10:23
As a very experienced big game hunter, SteyrAUG's answer is correct.

I think it depends on your location and the potential 4-legged threats that exist in your AO. I also spend a LOT of time in the outdoors (hunting, Search and Rescue, fly fishing, backpacking, etc), and I don't feel like we have any animals here in Utah that warrant slinging a rifle for defense. In Grizzly country like Montana or Alaska etc, I would absolutely sling a shotgun with slugs or a rifle, but here in Utah the biggest potential threats would probably be moose, small black bear, and mountain lion. I've come face to face with all of those over the years and never had an issue, and in the rare off chance I did have an issue with any of those animals, i feel a 10mm with good hardcast bullets would be sufficient.

Having a rifle would always be the ideal, but i'm also a realist, and Utah mountains are steep and rugged. For me, the added weight and bulk from carrying a rifle isn't worth the added ballistics benefit in the extremely rare off chance i need to shoot an animal here. YMMV but from my 20+ years spent in the outdoors here, I think a good pistol is plenty.

Todd.K
08-29-18, 10:44
I'm skeptical about the skill level of most who carry magnum revolvers, especially the smaller lighter ones that are more easily carried.

I'm skeptical about a 10mm being worth the bother for terminal performance vs a regular service caliber for less than grizzly. AND of it being enough for grizzly, though it's probably a better secondary to a long gun than a 44 mag you can't shoot well.

Same thinking goes into long guns, a half a mag of brown tip on target is better than a slug you flinched off target before you short stroked the 870 you don't train enough with.

ramairthree
08-29-18, 11:07
If limited to a single handgun, of the revolver type,

I have trouble deciding which I like best of my two options.

An 8 shot 357,
Or a Ruger 45LC with very stout loads.

8 very stout rounds of 357 vs 6 very stout loads of 45 Colt.

Each of which can be quickly loaded out to lesser but still capable loads when back on the pavement.

I of course have a Carbine of in each caliber as well.

I have not done it yet, but have been told that justnlike with the Ruger, my Marlin can take very stout 45 loads.

B Cart
08-29-18, 11:38
I'm skeptical about the skill level of most who carry magnum revolvers, especially the smaller lighter ones that are more easily carried.

I'm skeptical about a 10mm being worth the bother for terminal performance vs a regular service caliber for less than grizzly. AND of it being enough for grizzly, though it's probably a better secondary to a long gun than a 44 mag you can't shoot well.

Same thinking goes into long guns, a half a mag of brown tip on target is better than a slug you flinched off target before you short stroked the 870 you don't train enough with.

Good points, and I agree about the magnum revolvers. They kick like crazy making quick follow up shots hard, and only hold 5 rounds. I went with the Glock 20 because it gave me a very similar platform to what i carry, and holds 15 rounds. I've heard that the 10mm hard cast solid bullets penetrate deep on animals, so i feel there is some added benefit over carrying my 9mm, but I don't think I would trust 10mm sufficiently for Grizz. As for any weapon, if you don't train with what you carry, you're already setting yourself up for failure.

Aray
08-29-18, 12:18
In PA I believe, you cannot carry a semi auto pistol even with a ccw, as when you are in the woods game law applies and semis are verboten under game law, regardless of season. You can carry roundy rounders. Id carry my Colt 1917 if it wasnt constantly trying to pull my pants down. It practically demands to be carried Han Solo style

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

No longer true in PA.

Since 2007 you have been permitted to carry a handgun (of any kind) during hunting seasons provided you have an LTCF and it is only used for self defense. If you hunt with a handgun it cannot be an auto loading pistol.

AKDoug
08-29-18, 12:41

A whole lot of truth in this Todd. I have a friend that has built a charging bear target. He has it calibrated to cover 50 yards in 3 seconds. Most people fail to even get a shot on target, so gun type at that point is moot. Guys that shoot a lot manage to get at least one round on the target. Revolver guys rarely get more than one shot, auto guys with 10mm that are good shooters will usually get three. Now, move that bear into 15 yds and almost nobody gets a hit. We're talking a 1 second from the holster to hit time... good luck. At a ready position most folks do much better (obviously) but the heavy magnum guys struggle.

kerplode
08-29-18, 13:01
There isn't anything in the "woods" here worth worrying about. Sure, you'll end up bumping into 250 vegan liberal tree huggers in the first quarter mile of the trail, but a standard bar of soap pretty much keeps them at bay. If you happen across one that isn't scared of soap, you can just toss a handful of jerky at it. Problem solved.

So, I mostly don't even bother carrying.

Todd.K
08-29-18, 15:21
Slayer. Everyone knows hippies can't stand death metal.

But for real your point is pretty valid, the threat is not as big as many make it out to be. And I was attacked by a mountain lion once.

RetroRevolver77
08-29-18, 15:34
A whole lot of truth in this Todd. I have a friend that has built a charging bear target. He has it calibrated to cover 50 yards in 3 seconds. Most people fail to even get a shot on target, so gun type at that point is moot. Guys that shoot a lot manage to get at least one round on the target. Revolver guys rarely get more than one shot, auto guys with 10mm that are good shooters will usually get three. Now, move that bear into 15 yds and almost nobody gets a hit. We're talking a 1 second from the holster to hit time... good luck. At a ready position most folks do much better (obviously) but the heavy magnum guys struggle.

Strange because a revolver can be fired faster than an auto even for an intermediate shooter. Do you think it simply has to do with the heavier recoil?

Honu
08-29-18, 15:42
I do think the being attacked is over worried :)

spent 3 years living out of a two man tent by the time I was 30 I camped so much sometimes for a month at a time

I used to lead shark dives 5-6 days a week for years I did that :) been bit more by dogs than sharks BUT eels are like the nippy little dogs !!!!
rescued near drowning all the time and plain rescues every day from lack of being able to swim yet sharks are the big worry ? go figure

reckon here its like the idiots that go out in the desert in summer with no water for you know just a short hike

AKDoug
08-29-18, 16:03
Strange because a revolver can be fired faster than an auto even for an intermediate shooter. Do you think it simply has to do with the heavier recoil?

Clear leather with a revolver, mostly chest holsters is what we use up here for woods carry, and fire a shot on target faster than an auto? I know I can't do it and I've been shooting both for decades. Follow up shots between a 10mm auto and 44mag with beginner users is always on the side of the auto for new shooters. .38 snubby vs. a 9mm auto..It's pretty close.

FlyingHunter
08-29-18, 18:44
I do think the being attacked is over worried :)

Completely agree. I've hunted the globe for decades. I've had two encounters that some people might consider interesting. Both resolved by having a high level of situational awareness and a deep understanding of the biology/behaviors of the species and acting accordingly.

Business_Casual
08-29-18, 18:52

Where do you get those dynamics, out of interest? Seems rather quick 50 yards in 3 seconds.

SteyrAUG
08-29-18, 19:41
Where do you get those dynamics, out of interest? Seems rather quick 50 yards in 3 seconds.

Grizzly Bear Tueller Rule.

SteyrAUG
08-29-18, 19:45
Completely agree. I've hunted the globe for decades. I've had two encounters that some people might consider interesting. Both resolved by having a high level of situational awareness and a deep understanding of the biology/behaviors of the species and acting accordingly.

This and this. Just like criminal types most animals, especially the kind that "might" attack a human, are very aware of if they are or are not being watched and just like criminals they are assessing your defensive capabilities.

Had a few critters walk by, walk around me and they seemed to grasp that I was not going to run and I was ready to drop them if they tried.

26 Inf
08-29-18, 21:54
I marked other. I carry OC and wear a bell to warn the animals.

AKDoug
08-29-18, 21:58

The guy who built it grabbed that figure off the 'Net. They can explode for short distances at up to 35mph.. that's 51 feet per second.

I've had numerous bear encounters. All have ended well and I am still here. The closest I got to being chomped was by little black bear. He came exploding out of the brush at about 20 feet. My only reaction was to plant my feet and drop my shoulder. He sidestepped at the last second and disappeared. I honestly made zero attempt to grab my pistol, it happened too fast. I did draw and back out of there once he was gone.

Det-Sog
08-30-18, 00:45
I marked other. I carry OC and wear a bell to warn the animals.

Yeah... Here's your sign:

MountainRaven
08-30-18, 02:34

That sign lies. There are also usually guns in the brown bear scat (many more of them, it seems, than used canisters of bear spray).

We compiled, summarized, and reviewed 269 incidents of bear–human conflict involving firearms that occurred in Alaska during 1883–2009. Encounters involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 218 incidents, 81%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 30 incidents, 11%), polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 6 incidents, 2%), and 15 (6%) unidentified species provided insight into firearms success and failure. A total of 444 people and at least 367 bears were involved in these incidents. We found no significant difference in success rates (i.e., success being when the bear was stopped in its aggressive behavior) associated with long guns (76%) and handguns (84%). Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. Bears were killed in 61% (n 1⁄4 162) of bear–firearms incidents. Additionally, we identified multiple reasons for firearms failing to stop an aggressive bear. Using logistic regression, the best model for predicting a successful outcome for firearm users included species and cohort of bear, human activity at time of encounter, whether or not the bear charged, and if fish or game meat was present. Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. Although firearms have failed to protect some users, they are the only deterrent that can lethally stop an aggressive bear. Where firearms have failed to protect people, we identified contributing causes. Our findings suggest that only those proficient in firearms use should rely on them for protection in bear country.

Firearms should not be a substitute for avoiding unwanted encounters in bear habitat. Although the shooter may be able to kill an aggressive bear, injuries to the shooter and others also sometimes occur. The need for split-second deployment and deadly accuracy make using firearms difficult, even for experts. Consequently, we advise people to carefully consider their ability to be accurate under duress before carrying a firearm for protection from bears. No one should enter bear country without a deterrent and these results show that firearms are not a clear choice. We encourage all persons, with or without a firearm, to consider carrying a non-lethal deterrent such as bear spray because its success rate under a variety of situations has been greater (i.e., 90% successful for all 3 North American species of bear; Smith et al. 2008) than those we observed for firearms.
Source: Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska, Journal of Wildlife Management (http://www.bearconflict.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/firearms-and-bears.pdf). (Emphasis mine.)

sundance435
08-30-18, 08:59

If I'm being honest with myself, I'd be lucky to get off one aimed shot with a .44 MAG or bigger if the need ever arose for a 4-legged predator. The largest dangerous game in my state and the next 3 on either side are cougars and black bears. For that, I'd feel fine carrying my 686+ with a hardcast .357 load, which I know I can actually shoot decently.

If and when I ever go hiking in brown bear country, I'd have to think long and hard about what I carried. I'd still be more worried about 2-legged predators and black bear/cougar than a brownie, so I suppose a Glock 20 with a Buffalo Bore or Underwood heavy load would be the best compromise for me, knowing I'd never develop the skill with a .44/.45/.454 to trust my life with it.

26 Inf
08-30-18, 11:13

Glad you got it!

Todd.K
08-30-18, 11:14
I'm skeptical about bear spray too. A study like that has to make a lot of subjective calls, like silly "one shot stop" studies back in the day, or anti gun "studies".

I'm fairly positive my cougar attack is not counted as an attack anywhere, as I've seen reports that say no human has been attacked by a cougar in Oregon. I happened to have a tag, and shot it before it got to me. A hunter defensively shooting a bear is probably not rare and probably doesn't show up in any study.

Against a false charge, bear looking to steal your kill, or chance close encounter, probably works good. Against a bear in straight up attack mode, I have great doubt.

Probably a good option in black bear country, better than nothing for grizzly, maybe a better secondary than a pistol for a hunter.

AKDoug
08-30-18, 11:59
I'm skeptical about bear spray too. A study like that has to make a lot of subjective calls, like silly "one shot stop" studies back in the day, or anti gun "studies".

I'm fairly positive my cougar attack is not counted as an attack anywhere, as I've seen reports that say no human has been attacked by a cougar in Oregon. I happened to have a tag, and shot it before it got to me. A hunter defensively shooting a bear is probably not rare and probably doesn't show up in any study.

Against a false charge, bear looking to steal your kill, or chance close encounter, probably works good. Against a bear in straight up attack mode, I have great doubt.

Probably a good option in black bear country, better than nothing for grizzly, maybe a better secondary than a pistol for a hunter.

Pretty much my experience to a "T" Todd. Lots of grizzly bear shootings in Alaska go unreported. Most of us who hunt carry a tag during hunting season so if we kill one in self defense we get to keep the hide and skull. If you shoot one in self defense without a tag you are required to turn it in to the state. Some areas of Alaska don't even have a closed season on them, or require a tag.

As for spray. My only experience with it was negative. My hunting partner decided to spray a bear 20 yds away. The wind was blowing steadily back at us. A healthy dose of pepper spray is not something I enjoy and it nearly incapacitated me. I'm glad the bear left because I was in no shape to fight.

Det-Sog
08-30-18, 12:28
As for spray. My only experience with it was negative. My hunting partner decided to spray a bear 20 yds away. The wind was blowing steadily back at us. A healthy dose of pepper spray is not something I enjoy and it nearly incapacitated me. I'm glad the bear left because I was in no shape to fight.

Disclaimer: I'm no bear expert nor do I play one on the internet. I do however go hiking and camping once or twice a year up in Montana griz country. I've just been carrying 10mm or .44 magnum "bear spray". Thank goodness I've never had to use it. I'll always have spare underwear just in case though.

I equate using bear spray on a threatening griz to using a tazer on a knife wielding suspect. Based on the failure rate of the tazer, if someone charges me with a knife, the tazer would not be my go-to item. Add to your point. I've used pepper spray a few HUNDRED times through the years on bad guys while on the street in my former career. At least one in four times, I got blasted as much as the bad guy due to the wind, or another cop having bad aim. I was trained to "take it" so it never incapacitated me, but it sure makes it hard to see. Someone who is not trained on how to deal with it might be in trouble.

The only question for me is what sized can of spray... 6 rounds, 9 rounds, or 15 rounds.

sundance435
08-30-18, 14:53
Disclaimer: I'm no bear expert nor do I play one on the internet. I do however go hiking and camping once or twice a year up in Montana griz country. I've just been carrying 10mm or .44 magnum "bear spray". Thank goodness I've never had to use it. I'll always have spare underwear just in case though.

I equate using bear spray on a threatening griz to using a tazer on a knife wielding suspect. Based on the failure rate of the tazer, if someone charges me with a knife, the tazer would not be my go-to item. Add to your point. I've used pepper spray a few HUNDRED times through the years on bad guys while on the street in my former career. At least one in four times, I got blasted as much as the bad guy due to the wind, or another cop having bad aim. I was trained to "take it" so it never incapacitated me, but it sure makes it hard to see. Someone who is not trained on how to deal with it might be in trouble.

The only question for me is what sized can of spray... 6 rounds, 9 rounds, or 15 rounds.

Pretty much my experience with pepper spray - if they're on anything, all bets are off, too. Probably about the same for a mama grizz protecting her cubs. As Todd K said, I believe it might be an okay option if the bear isn't looking to pick a fight, but how am I gonna know what mode it's in? You figure, if you're lucky, you've got one chance to use whatever you're carrying - may not matter in the end, but I'd rather have a gun than liquefied chili peppers.

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-30-18, 14:58
HK USP 45 loaded with 45 Super is my hiking pistol. There are black bears, cougars, and wolves in these woods. The occasional meth head too. If I'm camping I bring a beater AK along.

TMS951
08-30-18, 15:10
I like to carry a 458 socom I’m ar15 I built. As a backup I carry a 9mm pistol.

Sometimes I carry a HKMk23 loaded with 45 super and that’s it.

Sometimes I carry just a Scar 17.

I always carry rifles with a second mag on my belt. Less so for more rounds, more so for a second available mag if I have to clear a malfunction of have a mag related issue.

I am around black bear, moose, and drunk hillbillies.