PDA

View Full Version : MK318 Mod 1

MrSmitty
08-28-18, 14:45
I tried doing a little searching but it seems this stuff is hard to find. Purchased from a local shop who got their hands on a ton of Federal factory seconds. I'm going to send some down range tomorrow to see how it shoots. No chrono unfortunately... I'm a little curious as to what difference the 'Wrong Powder' will make. At $9.99 per box I may pick up more if it shoots without issue. Head stamp is FC 17.

Anyone have any input on this? Potentially good deal? I'll update tomorrow after I put some on paper.

They also have FBI T3 that were kicked for 'Visual Defect' at $8.99 per box. They look fine so I stocked up.

https://i.imgur.com/bOGErB9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5gLtilS.jpg

markm
08-28-18, 15:15
"Wrong Powder" is a pretty significant "Defect". I'd guess they've deemed it safe to shoot however.

MrSmitty
08-28-18, 15:29
"Wrong Powder" is a pretty significant "Defect". I'd guess they've deemed it safe to shoot however.

Yeah, not sure how they managed that one... Should be safe but the performance may be garbage. I’ll see how it groups tomorrow. I’ll probably open one up to check out the powder/charge as well.

markm
08-28-18, 15:35
I would guess that it might be a LOT issue where the charge is calibrated to where the velocity is a little under spec.

MrSmitty
08-28-18, 16:05
I would guess that it might be a LOT issue where the charge is calibrated to where the velocity is a little under spec.

That would make sense. I may not even see that at 100, especially since I don’t have a standard load to compare it to. I’m assuming the Mod 1 performs similarly to the Mod 0 though.

Ned Christiansen
08-28-18, 17:21
44 grains of Bullseye..... :-)

If it's the wrong powder it is no longer Mk 318. Not to say it's necessarily bad, heck, it could even be better. Should be interesting to group it. With that bullet I would not be surprised if it was really good.

MrSmitty
08-28-18, 17:38
44 grains of Bullseye..... :-)

If it's the wrong powder it is no longer Mk 318. Not to say it's necessarily bad, heck, it could even be better. Should be interesting to group it. With that bullet I wold not be surprised if it was really good.

That would have a little bite to it haha.

Does this new environmentally conscious projectile perform better than the original lead/copper one? I thought I had read somewhere that it had an improved BC...

I may only have access to an SBR with an T2 tomorrow but it should give me a good feel for it. If it’s a good performer I’ll probably try to get my hands on more this weekend.

Ned Christiansen
08-28-18, 22:31
I had Mk318 and Mk316 mixed up.

I have not found Mk 318 particularly accurate and pretty sure it's largely the bullet. I have found Mk 316 very accurate-- and I think it's mostly the bullet.

Mind you this is not based on shooting lots of it.

MrSmitty
08-29-18, 06:41
That got me thinking, I never remembered it grouping all that well before so I just tucked away what I had left for a rainy day. I did some digging in my phone and found targets from last spring when I sighted in an EOTech/G33 on this rifle. Mod 0 was shooting around 2.3 MOA for me. Federal XM193 was right around 2 MOA and IMI 77gr was at 1.7.

MrSmitty
08-29-18, 14:40
Well, it seemed to shoot quite well today. I was in the 3.0-5.0 MOA range dead center with an M193 clone load that I worked up for this upper at 100 yards. Same thing with Federal XM193. The Mod 1 averaged around 1.9 MOA, 2" high and 2" right. It seemed just as snappy as the XM193, it definitely didn't feel weak. The upper has an FN 10.5" CHF 'MG' barrel and an Aimpoint T2 on a Bobro lower 1/3.

M193 Clone:
https://i.imgur.com/hp2dHqN.jpg

MK318 Mod 1:
https://i.imgur.com/ymi6n7s.jpg

markm
08-29-18, 15:49
Not bad. The M193 gives a good baseline.... and a reason to NEVER shoot M193. ;)

MrSmitty
08-30-18, 09:40
Not bad. The M193 gives a good baseline.... and a reason to NEVER shoot M193. ;)

At least it’s better than M855 haha! I remember back when that’s all I could find around here.

I just picked up another 200 rounds of the Mod 1. Maybe more next weekend during their Labor Day sale. Mainly because I don’t see any seconds or first run anywhere on the market right now, and I feel it shoots pretty decent out of my SBR. POI is closer to what this rifle is zeroed for than Razor Core, MK262, and FBIT3 which all seem to shoot 5” low and left. I’ll break some down and measure the charge, hopefully compare it to first run ammo at some point. I’ll also try to get some rounds on paper with a 16 or 18” gun with magnified optic. I feel I shot pretty well yesterday but my contacts mess with the 2 MOA dot on the T2 if I’m trying to shoot precision when it’s really bright. I need to chrono as well, I’ll keep the thread posted.

markm
08-30-18, 09:57
At least it’s better than M855 haha! I remember back when that’s all I could find around here.

Pappabear and I did a pm shoot a month or so back, and I brought a stripper clip of M196 tracer. We shot that stuff at 500 yards, and it was crazy how inaccurate those bullets are. They were curving into the wind and everything.

MrSmitty
08-30-18, 10:04
Pappabear and I did a pm shoot a month or so back, and I brought a stripper clip of M196 tracer. We shot that stuff at 500 yards, and it was crazy how inaccurate those bullets are. They were curving into the wind and everything.

Curving INTO the wind?? Now that’s a new one! I don’t think I’ve ever even seen the M196. I believe I still have M856 loaded in 20 rounds mags tucked away somewhere in my ammo colllection for kicks. Probably been 15 years since I’ve touched it.

markm
08-30-18, 11:42
Curving INTO the wind??

Yeah. I was watching it in the ACOG. It's impressive to watch bad bullets trace. I think I only got 4 out of 10 on the steel at 500... and it's a pretty big target (IPSC size)