PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ryan (Prime 2018)

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-18, 10:21
I thought we had a thread on this, but I guess not.

They have been teasing this since the Superbowl and it drops tomorrow on the 31st. (Does that mean at midnight (EST?PST) tonight?).

Looks interesting. Back to the original concept of Jack Ryan it seems- down to the line from Hunt For Red October (I'm just and analyst).

Please bring back Clark, please, please.

Second best trailer in the past few years, after the Punisher.

"I'm only human, after all......."

Furbyballer
08-30-18, 10:31
This is definitely on my watch list. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ggammell
08-30-18, 12:23
How cool would Without Remorse be?

C-grunt
08-30-18, 12:25
Looks good. definitely watching it.

I think Jim fits the role well. I thought he did a good job in 13 Hours.

Det-Sog
08-30-18, 12:47
Flying back home today. I wish it was already out so I could watch while sitting in the back of a plane for six hours...

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-18, 13:10

You'd have to move the time frame forward to keep the age delta between him and Jack right, Have Clark be a kind of Pat Mac character- Cold Warrior in the new world of WOT now out doing 'stuff'.

Sam
08-30-18, 13:50

Would love to see "Without Remorse" as a full theatrical motion picture.

sundance435
08-30-18, 14:45
Looking forward to this - not much else for me on Prime for shows until "Man in the High Castle" comes back.

mack7.62
08-30-18, 15:05
They really screwed the pooch with Clear and Present Danger, when Jack was escaping he would kill or disable an armed guard, run off and leave guys gun laying there only to have to go hands on with another armed guard, run off and leave that guys gun laying there!!! He did this several times and IIRC never once grabbed a gun, soured me on the movies. Hopefully this will be more realistic and not pushing SJW BS. But really I would rather see something done with John Clark, I mean come on loner, lives on an island and total no BS bad ass, lots more interesting to me than family man Ryan.

Honu
08-30-18, 15:07
yeah looking forward to :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-18, 16:11
Looking forward to this - not much else for me on Prime for shows until "Man in the High Castle" comes back.

Not a fan of "Bosch"? Castle to me is at a break point. The new trailers look awesome. I was worried it as going to get "Lost".

MountainRaven
08-30-18, 16:29
I'm cautiously optimistic, since everything involving Tom Clancy seems to have gone downhill fast since he died.

Renegade
08-30-18, 16:33
Hoping it turns out better than "Shooter". Was pleasantly surprised by "Condor".

VARIABLE9
08-30-18, 17:43
Supposedly AMZN has already ordered a second season.
And if you look on IMDB there’s no John Clark character listed. Maybe they kept him off the credits.

Vandal
08-30-18, 19:01
I'm cautiously optimistic, since everything involving Tom Clancy seems to have gone downhill fast since he died.

I have read all of the original Jack Ryan series and his random others like SSN. I have really enjoyed the Jack Ryan Jr series that his proteges have put together. I just have to remember that Jack Jr. isn't his dad, but rather doing his own thing in Ryan's massive shadow.

_Stormin_
08-30-18, 20:06
This one has me on the edge of my seat. It could be absolutely amazing, or they could totally screw the pooch. Needless to say, I won't be opening this thread again until I have seen the first few episodes to guard against spoilers.

ggammell
08-30-18, 20:12
I’m re-watching all of the movies in preparation.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-18, 21:31
The first season is up on my iPad....

SethB
08-30-18, 23:05
They really screwed the pooch with Clear and Present Danger, when Jack was escaping he would kill or disable an armed guard, run off and leave guys gun laying there only to have to go hands on with another armed guard, run off and leave that guys gun laying there!!! He did this several times and IIRC never once grabbed a gun, soured me on the movies. Hopefully this will be more realistic and not pushing SJW BS. But really I would rather see something done with John Clark, I mean come on loner, lives on an island and total no BS bad ass, lots more interesting to me than family man Ryan.

Harrison Ford was going through a phase and refused to use a weapon on people in his films.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-18, 23:34
First episode Down. Looks pretty good. Backstory and characters in place, some good action.

MountainRaven
08-31-18, 00:13
I think we have a John Clark. Unless the blue-eyed SAD guy is someone else.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-31-18, 02:23
I think we have a John Clark. Unless the blue-eyed SAD guy is someone else.

"Garth"?

Honu
08-31-18, 06:58
sadly for me a let down for sure
3 episodes in and getting worse every episode

typical modern crap with agenda driven story underneath it all

sundance435
08-31-18, 07:11

Krasinksi is big Dem in real life, so it doesn't surprise me that much. Despite that, I thought he did a good job in "13 Hours".

sundance435
08-31-18, 07:11

Krasinksi is big Dem in real life, so it doesn't surprise me that much. Despite that, I thought he did a good job in "13 Hours".

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-31-18, 08:30
Not really spoilers since it is in the first episode as set ups:

That the antagonists would be complex and not just one-dimensional is a Clancy hallmark- look at The Archer from "Some of all Fears".
I hope Ryan isn't a BoyScout like his wife was in Sicario. Greer is in a different place than in the books, almost a John Brennan (F no please) and a Saul (Homeland) character.

Got through the third episode, which I agree seems to start to fracture the story line and slow down- but Clancy's stuff was like that. You'd have some story line that would hang out there until it crashed into the main characters.

If episode four doesn't track better, I think the wife and I will pivot to Ozark and come back to this later.

Adrenaline_6
08-31-18, 09:04

Very cool as a full movie. Who would be the ideal Clark? ...or in the other stories, the ideal Chavez?

donlapalma
08-31-18, 09:17
Watched episode 1 last night. I don't know the Clancy character beyond what I've seen in the movies. Decent acting and writing. Good action. Overall, good production value. I'm not "hooked" yet, but will continue to watch it to see if it can keep me interested.

HardToHandle
08-31-18, 13:11
First episode - I enjoyed the USCG Jayhawk in the birthday party scene. Your tax dollars at work.

That said, first episode would end in real life with four streaks from the Hellfires ending the rest of the series.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-31-18, 14:33
First episode - I enjoyed the USCG Jayhawk in the birthday party scene. Your tax dollars at work.

That said, first episode would end in real life with four streaks from the Hellfires ending the rest of the series.

Headlights and taillights.. I know they had to do it for TV, what are they going to show, a black screen? That was pretty weak.

I thought the two guys were going to go full homo on the dock for a minute.

What do you think about the guys playing the SF guys? Don't seem like your usual action movie extras.

Anyone else think Cathy is a little chunky?

This was made by Paramount, just like Yellowstone.

platoonDaddy
09-01-18, 16:00
Just fished #6, his large nose is very distracting as his Dr friend's oval face.

What a waste.

OUT

EDIT: AMEN on the dark screen, friging lame

Adrenaline_6
09-01-18, 16:20
Headlights and taillights.. I know they had to do it for TV, what are they going to show, a black screen? That was pretty weak.

I thought the two guys were going to go full homo on the dock for a minute.

What do you think about the guys playing the SF guys? Don't seem like your usual action movie extras.

Anyone else think Cathy is a little chunky?

This was made by Paramount, just like Yellowstone.

Also, wasn't Cathy an eye surgeon in the original series?

Renegade
09-01-18, 17:12
Only finished 6 episodes.

Yeah there were some irregularities (. His chopper went down in the med, not out in a field somewhere. 2. Cathy is a brunette eye surgeon, not a blonde working in infectious diseases. 3. Jack never worked on Wall Street, and Cathy wasn't the daughter of the investor. 4) He is Marine LT, so he should know how to handle a gun). Didn't get time line till he met his future wife. So it is before Red October in a modern time.

Saw plenty of subtle PC'ism but not enough to turn off.

Show could be called "Tom Clancy's James Greer" as he appears to be the star after 6 episodes.

MountainRaven
09-01-18, 18:46
I seem to recall “Garth” explaining how to operate a SiG P228 (or whatever) to Ryan in episode 2 or 3 and Ryan takes it, chambers a round, performs a chamber check, and then decocks it and “Garth” - somewhat flabbergasted - just responds by saying, “Yeah, like that.”

So at least as of episode 2/3, Jack seems to know his way around a SiG.

Wake27
09-01-18, 19:00
I seem to recall “Garth” explaining how to operate a SiG P228 (or whatever) to Ryan in episode 2 or 3 and Ryan takes it, chambers a round, performs a chamber check, and then decocks it and “Garth” - somewhat flabbergasted - just responds by saying, “Yeah, like that.”

So at least as of episode 2/3, Jack seems to know his way around a SiG.

Yup, episode two. He actually hit the mag first to make sure it was seated too. Not bad. The worst parts of these things, to include 13 Hours, is always the super special guys like CAG, SAD, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoni
09-01-18, 23:08
Tonight I watched the first episode, and didn't like that they had him riding a pedal bike to work. It didn't fit the Ryan of the books for me.

I got about 10 minutes or so into the second one, which is when I find out in this abortion they made Greer a muslim. That was enough for me to turn it off.

MountainRaven
09-01-18, 23:11
Tonight I watched the first episode, and didn't like that they had him riding a pedal bike to work. It didn't fit the Ryan of the books for me.

I got about 10 minutes or so into the second one, which is when I find out in this abortion they made Greer a muslim. That was enough for me to turn it off.

Did you watch the whole conversation or did you just turn it off as soon as that came out?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-02-18, 02:47
Done..

On the Greer Muslim thing, in the end I see it as that big of a thing.

I won't speak in specifics, but more in general- but still spoiler alerts.

Ryan reveals a bit more about what some might consider his "Boy Scout" tendencies and steps-up.

Ends well, sets up well for next season. I think I saw that it was 73% or RT, and I'd agree. No Homeland, better than almost all the Strike Back.

I thought the first few episodes were good on how Ryan got into the action. The reluctant hero or last resort in the right place at the worst of times. The end was a bit more forced, but still good.

yoni
09-02-18, 06:05
Did you watch the whole conversation or did you just turn it off as soon as that came out?

I watched long enough to hear Greer say he only converted to marry his soon to be ex wife. But it was a bit too much of the PC world. Besides we are still suffering in real life from a Muslim that used to head the CIA

VARIABLE9
09-02-18, 06:31
I’d concur as entertaining as Homeland for me. Garth may be Clark, he said he gives a different name every op. The Dr, her face has a Reubenesqe beauty about her maybe.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-02-18, 09:31
I’d concur as entertaining as Homeland for me. Garth may be Clark, he said he gives a different name every op. The Dr, her face has a Reubenesqe beauty about her maybe.

Ryan's Dad was a cop in Baltimore, so who knows...

Renegade
09-02-18, 12:26
I watched long enough to hear Greer say he only converted to marry his soon to be ex wife. But it was a bit too much of the PC world. Besides we are still suffering in real life from a Muslim that used to head the CIA

If the show lasts a few seasons, we know where Greer is headed, he told us joking "And my Black Muslim Ass might Be Director someday", or some such quote to Ryan.

_Stormin_
09-03-18, 06:12
3. Jack never worked on Wall Street, and Cathy wasn't the daughter of the investor.

Incorrect per the books. That's one where they got things almost right. Jack Ryan worked for Merrill Lynch where he made a killing on a railroad investment, drawing the attention of Joe Muller. When invited to dinner he met Muller's daughter and that's where the relationship began. She was a med student (and later became an eye surgeon). In several books his father-in-law's distaste for Jack's desire to work in government vs on Wall Street is mentioned, and Ryan's personal net worth thanks to savvy investing comes up as well.

HMM
09-03-18, 07:26
I'm 3 episodes in, we are liking it so far.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-03-18, 10:04
I thought that they had crammed too much into the Ryan Character's life since they seem to try to make him out to be in his late 20s, when he (Krasinski) is actually 38, which is about where Cathy would be, if not older. Marine, Wall street trader, Dr in finance would all fit in better then. The book Ryan had his copter crash while at the Naval Academy, which helped compress the time line. Did the Amazon Ryan attend the Naval Academy, or was it Boston College?

ramairthree
09-03-18, 11:26
This is not oriented to guys that were in the SOF and intelligence and military interested types from the 80s.

They have done a pretty good update.

I have put on an hour or two each night after work. I cannot say I did not miss anything here and there doing other stuff while watching or dozing off a couple of times.

General vibe- without explicit spoilers- but don’t read further just in case unless you have watched.

He would have been about 21 out of college, say four years for USMC/injuries/recovery, four years for his Ph.D., a couple of years in finance, then four in his current position- making him mid to late 30s. His romantic interest would be more like late 20s/early 30s. Classic intelligent professional woman that has deferred husband/family and needs one RFN or there will be no kids in her future.

His backstory as originally written was always a little on the hokey side. Her backstory kind of boring. This may not be true to the original source, but actually appropriately updated.

In general,
Ryan actually looks like a lot of Operators. Above average height, slimmer build, sort of looks like a regular guy in clothes. But actually a functional monster.

The bike riding is not unusual. Lots of vets doing the GIBILL on urban campuses biking a few miles each way. His ride is a stretch though, probably about five times that. And hitting the age he is overdue to be a grownup. Not uncommon in society in general now let alone some vets.

I suspect the change of specialty for her is to get her in on some more bio WMD type action. She is an attractive, healthy women. Not a Hollywood stegasaurus spine anorexic. Realistically cast 80 hour work week professional woman.

The converted to Muslim operative is not that far a stretch. Plenty of SOF, Intel, etc. have gone a little native.

All refugees are of course poor little women and children, not the flocks of MAMs you see in reality.

The opening low profile FOB was pretty accurate.

The village scenes and stuff have the right vibe.

Something was off with the assualters. TL was a Captain, something off about the platehangers, just little things. Better than typically seen on TV.

They seem to have portrayed the difficulties with sigint, financing, etc well.
As well as how dirty you have to get in dealings to get things done.

The whole remote guy thing is tiresome. I have not actually met anyone in person that gave a shit about “kill TV”

Overall, respectable production values, not bad acting, etc.

You actually emphasize for the wife and kids. Just like you emphasize for the Mohawks and terps, etc. you ate and hung with, etc. all while really wishing we were not flooding western civilization with the seeds of its downfall.

The SIG scene with Ryan was a little odd. OGA and operators are pretty used to med, tech, and various other non-operator but mil and SOF background guys that provide direct support on target. Probably just a plot scene to establish he has at some point been trained beyond the standard military guy with a sidearm.

The French detective is like a cariacarure of various intel and gator women.

For a guy that got burned and got a whole lot of others killed for a mistake. He is adamantly resistant to have learned anything from it. Get a couple of less blatant deaths under your belt wondering if thing MIGHT have been different if you were faster, tried something else, been standing somewhere else, got someplace quicker, etc. makes someone a different person. Being directly responsible for an act and it’s all your fault like he did is not comprehensible to me, it’s like he has all the guilt and none of the lesson.

Anyways, it is neither a right wind kill them all nor a left wing welcome everyone with open arms type deal for me.

I have heard it painted in both lights.

Renegade
09-03-18, 11:40
Incorrect per the books. That's one where they got things almost right. Jack Ryan worked for Merrill Lynch where he made a killing on a railroad investment, drawing the attention of Joe Muller. When invited to dinner he met Muller's daughter and that's where the relationship began. She was a med student (and later became an eye surgeon). In several books his father-in-law's distaste for Jack's desire to work in government vs on Wall Street is mentioned, and Ryan's personal net worth thanks to savvy investing comes up as well.

yeah you are right, I forgot about that (Merrill Lynch). Though that just leads to more inconsistencies - Boston College vs USNA, economics degree vs history., etc.

ramairthree
09-03-18, 11:50
Again, this is not a true to the source in full faith adaptation.

It is very in spirit to the source with several accuracies, but pretty well updated.

TC needed a way for a guy Ryan’s age to have had mil experience and a ton of heroic wounds and accomplishments.
In a timeline not amenable to being a VN vet, so I guess mil academy and helicopter crash did it. Maybe he could have lined up Ryan as a platoon leader jumping into Grenada or having been in the Ranger company for the hostage rescue before that, I am not on top of the exact Ryan timeline from the books to say for sure.

Renegade
09-03-18, 11:51
In general,
Ryan actually looks like a lot of Operators. Above average height, slimmer build, sort of looks like a regular guy in clothes. But actually a functional monster.

But he is not an operator. He is an analyst, and they have intentionally made sure he did not have significant skills in the books or movies. I thought at the end of Amazon Ryan, given where Greer ended up, the "read book" was going to be to send him through the farm. Glad to see they didn't. Good to NOT have another Bourne or Mathison character.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-03-18, 13:05
To me the key feature of the Ryan Character was that he was not an expert or had experience- he was a smart guy who was the reluctant hero. Where TC screwed up was moving him up the ladder. He needs to stay on the middle rungs.

MountainRaven
09-03-18, 20:57
Having finished the season, I'm more certain than ever that "Garth" is John Clark.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-03-18, 23:11
Watched the first episode. It was a little boring, but most pilot episodes are when compared to the rest of the season. As a gun guy/former mil guy I had to suspend a lot of disbelief, but it's rare that I don't with Hollywood (13 hours being a noticeable exception). I'm gonna watch episode 2 and then judge it from there.

ramairthree
09-04-18, 01:17
Understood.

They make it clear he is not a SAD/ground guy.

He points out he is an analyst saw eel.

However, in the same way his wife was updated from irrelevant eye dentist to big head bio specialist player with some relevance, I was noting that his physicality and his shooting seem to update him from pure broken REMF to direct support capable REMF.

Adrenaline_6
09-04-18, 07:33
Having finished the season, I'm more certain than ever that "Garth" is John Clark.

That is my take as well.

sundance435
09-04-18, 10:42
Pretty good case for "Garth" being Clark - my take was that "Garth" has to be at least 7-10 years older than they're portraying Ryan, which would be somewhat in the spirit of the original Clark/Ryan dynamic.

My main complaint after getting through the entire season was the whole "conflicted drone pilot" thing - what a complete and utter waste of time. That, and they rushed the entire last episode to tie everything up neatly. Seems they'll be going with a "New Cold War" theme for next season. Interestingly, that seems to be what did in the director/script for the newest Bond movie. I think it would've been awesome to see Bond in a modern Russia-centric plot.

yoni
09-04-18, 11:24
I watched the whole season, I have a few problems with it.

The whole drone pilot goes to Syria, thing was stupid. But beyond that it once again paints a distorted view of the ME. If an American drone pilot showed up any where in the ME that had been getting drone hits. The truth would not be a shared cup of tea and the idiot buying eggs for however many tens of thousands of dollars. The pilot would have been killed in short order.

Second the whole Greer Muslim thing, is just wrong. In Israel I have friends that have fallen in love with Arabic poetry, because they just love the language. But convert, nope you would be bounced out of your job so fast. So this whole thing is stupid, but it mirrors what went on under the muslin in chief so is it art imitating reality?

BBossman
09-04-18, 19:40
The story line is an adaptation of one of the sub-plots in Clancy's Executive Orders, except at that point in the books, Ryan was POTUS...

C-grunt
09-05-18, 16:35
I thought it was a great modern adaptation. Cant wait for the 2nd season. Garth is definitely Clark.

WillBrink
10-27-19, 09:28
Started watching it as all favorite shows are off currently. So far it's good enough to hold my attention. I tend to avoid such shows as the eye rolling factor too high to enjoy it.

chuckman
10-28-19, 10:21
Holy cow, I totally forgot it comes back on Friday!

jpmuscle
11-01-19, 18:23
Season 2 is entertaining. The gun play and optics on top of carry handles is killing me though.

I liked season one better still.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-19, 12:16
Not that I know anything, but the boat seems totally wrong and in general the gear seems to be totally lacking.

ramairthree
11-03-19, 01:58
I saw part of an episode someone else was watching.

A scrawny dude that was supposedly a SAD former ST6 guy was trying to hire a boat driver and looking over his I Love Me room where Army combat badges and Air Force rank with a picture of them in a Navy uniform was hanging.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-04-19, 09:17
I saw part of an episode someone else was watching.

A scrawny dude that was supposedly a SAD former ST6 guy was trying to hire a boat driver and looking over his I Love Me room where Army combat badges and Air Force rank with a picture of them in a Navy uniform was hanging.

Some of that was his dad's... I still think the AF stuff was out of place. While I'm not looking for exact realism from the show, the hallmark of Clancy was gear whore porn to the extreme- to the point where he 'wrote' books about gear. The lack of gear highlights characters, but it not coherent with the Clancy brand. The first season had better production values- I would have expected more the second season since the first, at least as far as I understood, was a success. I have one more episode, but if it doesn't majorly u-turn I'll be 'meh' on season three.

There are a bunch of WTF character things, that I'll leave till i finish and give people some time to watch.

Is this what happens to the Jack Ryan brand when it runs into Millenials and "The Office" fans? Krazinski did a credible job in 13 Hours, this latest JR season makes me think that he needs to direct and not be an action star.

ramairthree
11-04-19, 11:37
But he is not an operator. He is an analyst, and they have intentionally made sure he did not have significant skills in the books or movies. I thought at the end of Amazon Ryan, given where Greer ended up, the "read book" was going to be to send him through the farm. Glad to see they didn't. Good to NOT have another Bourne or Mathison character.

I was trying to convey they updated him from the cadet in a training crash in the books,
To the equivalent of someone that was a Recon marine, Ranger Bn guy, CCT, green beret, White side SEAL, Or on target direct support type, etc.
or at least regular marine grunt or airborne infantry platoon leader sort of guy with a combat tour.

While not being a straight up OTC trained operator or intel operative.

ramairthree
11-04-19, 11:51
To me the key feature of the Ryan Character was that he was not an expert or had experience- he was a smart guy who was the reluctant hero. Where TC screwed up was moving him up the ladder. He needs to stay on the middle rungs.

I can see the catch to that.

I like the scenarios where the lead is a former SOF type,
but was not a straight up Delta/ST6/SAD operator or NOC full on operative -
and now are at some MD, Ph.D., Engineer, type role and a little older,
But find themselves tossed in the mix them.

Sure, James Bond, Jason Bourne, etc. are all cool and stuff. But they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Then the toss a total nobody in the mix with them like many plot lines just seems off to me.

But the scenario where, say a former para regiment grunt that is now a Ph.D. Gets tossed in with an SAS troop and James Bond to knock out a Hail Mary mission resonates with me and I find more interesting and more believable.

chuckman
11-04-19, 17:55
The 'no-name' SAD dude (Garth from season 1, Jeff Spicoli from this season) is also the king in the Bud Light dilly-dilly commercials.

ramairthree
11-04-19, 22:26
Ok, I watched a couple of episodes.

A white European Hispanic is the president of Venezuela. He is a right wing fascist parody of the military industrial complex. The great brown hope - miscast as a tall, light European descended South American, is a socialist power for the people vice la revolution type.

At some point I am sure she will overcome and Venezuela will live happily ever after in a democratically elected socialist paradise.

And the evil fascist presidente will invariably be tied to some white, Christian, American old evil business guy.

**** you Netflix. Or prime, or whatever cocksuckers did this.

I was cool with humanizing the bad guy brothers in the first season, it was awesome backstory and character development.

Now we get this woke shit in a flip flop of a country destroyed by socialism.

Were they trying to out woke the 2001 efforts of Paramount when they changed the bad guys from Muslims to white power nazis, carefully not offending them just in time for 911, then still releasing that piece of shot.

I’m sick of being force fed fantasy woke shit.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-05-19, 00:44
Well, there is that and then there are the ARs that look like they are straight out of early 2000s TOS first time builds... they could have at least thrown in a line about the POS rifles as being cover that they aren't MIL.

The best thing about the show is the soundtrack and the intro 1/2 screens.

Spollers Implied-------------

I think that the producers saw the Garth=Clark banter on the interwebs and didn't like it. The Clark/Jack's Dad story line would have been powerful. And where is Dr. Ryan??? I thought she was a bit chubby, but POOF.

Really disappointed. My son and I have been stoked for a month about this coming out...I'll watch it again, but if I miss it, I miss it. More importantly, I won't keep Prime to watch this, which is the real tell.

I feel like the first 3-4 episodes last season were tight, and then they got a bit wonky. This season never had anything that set it apart. A real disgrace to the Tom Clancy legacy.

grnamin
11-05-19, 11:13
It looks like Clark isn't in season 2 either. Seems like some plot elements was borrowed from Clear and Present Danger.

skatz11
11-05-19, 11:18
I’ve enjoyed both seasons as entertaining TV, but not as a good adaptation of Tom Clancy’s source material.

There is finally going to be a Without Remorse movie. Details are scarce, but it’s targeted for fall 2020 release. Michael B Jordan is cast as John Clark. Maybe this can cross over into the amazon series, but I doubt it.

NWPilgrim
11-05-19, 11:50
Seems a lot of series get the Woke to death treatment. Season 1 can start off reasonably good. But then the producers just can’t help but see a success as an opportunity to interject wokeness on the deplorable masses. I only watched Ep1 of season 2 so far but was already getting to woke vibe.

That was a good comment about the divergence from the technology accuracy that is a hallmark of Clancy’s novels. A TV or movie doesn’t need to go into the details like the books do, but a nod to the tech details should be there. In this day it is stupid not to have accurate weapons and gear. There are a million combat vets out there that could be asked. Too bad Hollywood doesn’t have any working in the industry. Maybe not woke enough.

If Without Remorse movie is made and is a woke sloppy mess I will personally burn down Hollywood and salt the earth. I wish Clancy had done a separate series just on Clark. But the character at least deserves to be done well in that movie. Great story line and character, don’t mess it up.

grnamin
11-05-19, 22:45
Hollywood's version of the dry submarine works so effectively on a recipient with both hands free.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ramairthree
11-06-19, 08:58
Not that I know anything, but the boat seems totally wrong and in general the gear seems to be totally lacking.

Them breaking one on infil is pretty accurate.

ramairthree
11-06-19, 09:03
I’ve enjoyed both seasons as entertaining TV, but not as a good adaptation of Tom Clancy’s source material.

There is finally going to be a Without Remorse movie. Details are scarce, but it’s targeted for fall 2020 release. Michael B Jordan is cast as John Clark. Maybe this can cross over into the amazon series, but I doubt it.

How woke.

God forbid we have a character be anything he was like in the books.

Are they going to tie him into being the boat driver’s dad?

chuckman
11-06-19, 13:09
Them breaking one on infil is pretty accurate.

Many times we'd swim up to a CRRC or RHIB and say "please don't be broke...please don't be broke...please don't be broke..."

grnamin
11-06-19, 14:23
Jaqen H'ghar: From Game of Thrones to Jack Ryan. Talk about typecasting! :D

TexHill
11-06-19, 14:35
I always wanted them to turn Rainbow Six into a movie, and I thought it might happen after they made Clear and Present Danger.

chuckman
11-06-19, 15:40
I always wanted them to turn Rainbow Six into a movie, and I thought it might happen after they made Clear and Present Danger.

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/remorse-movie-release-date-set-2020-1182499

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-19, 15:46
Jaqen H'ghar: From Game of Thrones to Jack Ryan. Talk about typecasting! :D

Odd that the man of many faces only has one character that he plays...

Just as long as his daughter doesn't show up with knun-Chucks at some point wanting revenge...

TexHill
11-06-19, 15:55
Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/remorse-movie-release-date-set-2020-1182499

Thanks. I'm disappointed that they would cast Michael B. Jordan as Clark. I would have rather seen Idris Elba, Christian Bale, or Ben Foster play Clark.

ramairthree
11-07-19, 00:17
To update Clark from his VN vet to 1980s and 1990s dude,
You need to be able to go from pre GWOT to fried over the hill still crushing it and DGAF.

I would switch from Navy to Army Combat diver,
And make him a pushing 60 dude that was a cherry Ranger Bn infantryman in desert one, jumped into Grenada, jumped into panama, went to OTC, knocked out desert storm and Somalia, converted from 11 series to 18 series in the early 90s to finally make E8, hammered out some GWOT, retired after thirty years in mid 2000s, went SAD, aged out, still contracting for them, etc.

Maybe Vigho Mortensen type could pull it off.

I guess you could do a seal version, with first combat Grenada or panama.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-07-19, 01:04
To update Clark from his VN vet to 1980s and 1990s dude,
You need to be able to go from pre GWOT to fried over the hill still crushing it and DGAF.

I would switch from Navy to Army Combat diver,
And make him a pushing 60 dude that was a cherry Ranger Bn infantryman in desert one, jumped into Grenada, jumped into panama, went to OTC, knocked out desert storm and Somalia, converted from 11 series to 18 series in the early 90s to finally make E8, hammered out some GWOT, retired after thirty years in mid 2000s, went SAD, aged out, still contracting for them, etc.

Maybe Vigho Mortensen type could pull it off.

I guess you could do a seal version, with first combat Grenada or panama.

Can we get action heroes with out AARP cards?

If we are talking about "Without Remorse", he has to be pretty young, and while Virgo would be great to play an older Clark, if you are origin storying it, you need someone in younger. Jordan is 32, Tom Hardy was originally in the plans and he is 42.

You make him a pure GWOT guy, hell, we have almost 20 years into that. Make it drugs from A-stan coming instead of Vietnam. The POW thing would have to be re-worked, but saving and admirals son from behind the lines works out well again. Who wouldn't want to see some hood rats get de-presureized....

Just depends how much of a re-boot you want. Re-telling the books in their original time frames would be cool, but I think that they would update them to the now.

WillBrink
11-07-19, 08:34
Finally watch season one, and season 2 EP 1 last night. Solid 8/10 show. So far so good.

Alex V
11-07-19, 10:12
Watched the first 2 episodes yesterday. Not bad at all.

ramairthree
11-07-19, 10:53
Can we get action heroes with out AARP cards?

If we are talking about "Without Remorse", he has to be pretty young, and while Virgo would be great to play an older Clark, if you are origin storying it, you need someone in younger. Jordan is 32, Tom Hardy was originally in the plans and he is 42.

You make him a pure GWOT guy, hell, we have almost 20 years into that. Make it drugs from A-stan coming instead of Vietnam. The POW thing would have to be re-worked, but saving and admirals son from behind the lines works out well again. Who wouldn't want to see some hood rats get de-presureized....

Just depends how much of a re-boot you want. Re-telling the books in their original time frames would be cool, but I think that they would update them to the now.

I meant that should be current Clark. The older been everywhere done everything mentor guy can’t be young. Origin story should have a younger clone. In the 1980s a BTDT could be some one with a year in VN under their belt.

The bar for being a BTDT guy is very high these days. Guys in their 50s with decades of service under their belt and sometimes racked up Five to ten years or more in combat/under cover alone.

munch520
11-07-19, 10:54
Watched the first 2 episodes yesterday. Not bad at all.

We really liked it. Filling the void that Homeland has left, and it's much faster-paced.

rushca01
11-08-19, 07:59
Finished season 2; tons of frustrating decisions made...like why did the boat driver leave the boat...and then somehow totally gets redeemed by his team...and is all high speed low drag...

chuckman
11-08-19, 08:07
Finished season 2; tons of frustrating decisions made...like why did the boat driver leave the boat...and then somehow totally gets redeemed by his team...and is all high speed low drag...

The SWCC guy, don't get me started. He would know his lane; he'd not leave "his" boat. If the booger-eaters were around he might move it up/downriver and the SAD team implement the PACE/E&E plan, but he would not leave the boat.

TexHill
11-08-19, 09:20
The SWCC guy, don't get me started. He would know his lane; he'd not leave "his" boat. If the booger-eaters were around he might move it up/downriver and the SAD team implement the PACE/E&E plan, but he would not leave the boat.

Compound that with: a) falling asleep in the open, b) falling asleep without your weapon in close contact and attached to your person, c) allowing a child to acquire your weapon because of points a & b - and somehow this guy is supposed to be a top tier operator??? This guy wouldn't make it through AIT in the real military.

They definitely need to get some new writers.

chuckman
11-08-19, 09:58
Compound that with: a) falling asleep in the open, b) falling asleep without your weapon in close contact and attached to your person, c) allowing a child to acquire your weapon because of points a & b - and somehow this guy is supposed to be a top tier operator??? This guy wouldn't make it through AIT in the real military.

Argh! I haven't got that far yet! That's OK.....

SWCC are studs. They are not second-place SEALs; they are freaking varsity in their own right. That character started out that was for sure but is seems as the series progresses he turns more into clown shoes.

chuckman
11-08-19, 09:58

Argh! I haven't got that far yet! That's OK.....

SWCC are studs. They are not second-place SEALs; they are freaking varsity in their own right. That character started out that was for sure but is seems as the series progresses he turns more into clown shoes.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-19, 10:40
The series is totally unfaithful to the Clancy brand and legacy. And it is heading in the wrong direction. Not saying it is horrible TV, just that it’s not Clancy. Compare Clear and Present Danger to this last season.

chuckman
11-08-19, 10:52
The series is totally unfaithful to the Clancy brand and legacy. And it is heading in the wrong direction. Not saying it is horrible TV, just that it’s not Clancy. Compare Clear and Present Danger to this last season.

I think after Clancy died (and even before when he was ghostwriting with that other author) his 'brand' started going downhill. I think if you read them as stand-alones or without context, they are OK, but in context to his library, the later stuff just doesn't measure up.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-19, 12:16
I think after Clancy died (and even before when he was ghostwriting with that other author) his 'brand' started going downhill. I think if you read them as stand-alones or without context, they are OK, but in context to his library, the later stuff just doesn't measure up.

The book on SSNs was good, but the slide I think started with Executive Orders. Red Rabbit was attempt to get the old mojo back, but the next book, Teeth of the Tiger I don't even remember.

Renegade
11-08-19, 14:48
Not well done. They could not find stock footage of the US Embassy in Moscow? I could have sent them some.

Then many technical detail errors and other silliness, like imaging sats in geo orbit? And a PNG'ed ambassador has the pull to get an anti-sat weapon deployed? And JR travels for DOS on an official passport not a Dip one?

On the other hand I watched SEAL Team this week and they guy was rattling off facts about HK weapons in the cage with precision.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-19, 15:20
Not well done. They could not find stock footage of the US Embassy in Moscow? I could have sent them some.

Then many technical detail errors and other silliness, like imaging sats in geo orbit? And a PNG'ed ambassador has the pull to get an anti-sat weapon deployed? And JR travels for DOS on an official passport not a Dip one?

On the other hand I watched SEAL Team this week and they guy was rattling off facts about HK weapons in the cage with precision.

My wife riffed on the Kremlin picture too. That’s not good...

WillBrink
11-08-19, 21:06

That whole thing was messed up, like the speech about how Uber didn't get passed BUDs and ended up SWCC, those guys go through tough training too and are some bad ass dudes. You're not demoted to SWCC because you didn't passed BUDs, you choose SWCC or SEAL path as far as I know. Then him leaving his boat, and what about the coms thing?! If a little water killed the coms SOF used, no one would have any coms! There was a lot of stuff like that in this season. They're getting a bit lazy it seems. Season 1 was solid, 2 is more 7/10 so far.

JediGuy
11-08-19, 22:59
Loved the first season. Enjoying some of the storyline and characters of the second.

But the writing is not good. And Krasinski seems to not be enjoying his job in it.

jesuvuah
11-09-19, 09:33
That whole thing was messed up, like the speech about how Uber didn't get passed BUDs and ended up SWCC, those guys go through tough training too and are some bad ass dudes. You're not demoted to SWCC because you didn't passed BUDs, you choose SWCC or SEAL path as far as I know. Then him leaving his boat, and what about the coms thing?! If a little water killed the coms SOF used, no one would have any coms! There was a lot of stuff like that in this season. They're getting a bit lazy it seems. Season 1 was solid, 2 is more 7/10 so far.I thought the same thing about the coms. Pretty sure you can buy waterproof gear at Walmart.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

chuckman
11-10-19, 12:55
I thought the same thing about the coms. Pretty sure you can buy waterproof gear at Walmart.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Water dogs (i.e., SEALs, SWCC, MARSOC, Recon) are fastidious about PACE plans with comms. They would have a back up plan for their back up plan.

Coal Dragger
11-10-19, 15:57
Finished season 2. Pretty garbage overall.

If season 3 is approved it better redeem the series or I won’t bother going forward.

WillBrink
11-10-19, 16:05
Water dogs (i.e., SEALs, SWCC, MARSOC, Recon) are fastidious about PACE plans with comms. They would have a back up plan for their back up plan.

They're getting lazy and it kinda ruined the episode for me.

Adrenaline_6
11-11-19, 19:17
I agree. Totally un-Clancy like. When you read a real Clancy book, everything has been researched, everything is pretty much done the way it is written. If there is a McDonalds worker working fries in his book, a real McDonald's worker working fries doesn't read it and say, that's not how we do it....it's exactly how they do it.

This had a supposed top tier team with no real plan..wtf...really? Come on.

Adrenaline_6
11-11-19, 19:22
The Bear and the Dragon came out in 2000. He explained in detail how a weapon worked, how it deployed, how the cylinders that ejected rotated, how they floated down and found there targets and annihilated a whole tank battalion.

I saw that same weapon explained in detail on an episode of Future Weapons years later. Lol!

WillBrink
11-18-19, 09:35
Finished season 2 last night

Season one was a solid 8.5-9/10

2 was more 7/10

They really got lazy in season 2 and it detracted a lot from the quality of the show.

If season 3 drops in quality again, it will not be worth continuing with.

I generally don't watch any such programs for that reason, they're lazy and full of eye rolling stuff, so I don't waste the time. Several people said Ryan was pretty solid that way, so I checked it out.