PDA

View Full Version : Eotech issue

Farmd0g
08-31-18, 19:57
I have an Eotech EXPS2 and the reticle is dim when in the center of the glass. Everywhere else it is very bright. I also notice lines that look like microchip channels on the edges of the glass. Haven't seen this issue described on the Google. Anyone know what's up? It's out of warranty unfortunately as I've had it for 8 years. Back then it was only a 2 year warranty

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hmac
08-31-18, 20:36
Usually when an Eotech begins to dim it's due to a loss of nitrogen. Warranty or not, Eotech usually fixes that problem for no charge...shipping only. I recently had an 8 year old OPMOD (Optics Planet version) which is an EXPS3 without night vision accommodation. I emailed Eotech about it and they promptly replied and offered to fix it for free. But Optics Planet replied shortly thereafter and agreed to replace it with a brand new unit (OPMOD has a lifetime warranty).

Farmd0g
08-31-18, 20:37
You are much appreciated. Thanks.

sbrown3
09-01-18, 08:14
I had an Eotech I actually bought second hand that was dim, losing reticle around edges, and the buttons peeling off. Eotech fixed it free of charge no questions asked, put a new hood on it, and a new battery compartment. Great customer service. I still sold it when I got it back because of the issues it had.

ShipWreck
09-05-18, 10:40
I sent one in for the nitrogen issue before - they charged either $50 or $75 to fix it. So, I don't know that it gets fixed for free

Farmd0g
09-05-18, 10:50
So they gave me an RMA and I sent it in. They haven't asked for money yet :)

Farmd0g
09-18-18, 09:34
Just an update. Eotech sent me back my HWS with all the issues fixed. Even got a free C123 battery with it :) The only thing I had to pay for was shipping it to them.

mebiuspower
09-18-18, 11:53
Eotech gets a bad rep but people should just have an open mind...

HMsailor
10-02-18, 01:41
had an eotech 512 that started to leak batteries. after I change the batts, it would only turn on sometimes. they really need to upgrade their tech. im not sure if the issue was batteries or circuitry. it also seems like their cs backs their products but their products never backs their brand.

mebiuspower
10-02-18, 08:34
had an eotech 512 that started to leak batteries. after I change the batts, it would only turn on sometimes. they really need to upgrade their tech. im not sure if the issue was batteries or circuitry. it also seems like their cs backs their products but their products never backs their brand.

Eotech recommends lithium AA instead of alkaline because lithium batteries don't leak. Can't blame the product when the issue is the battery?

There's probably corrosion caused by the acid, that means you either need to clean the battery contacts or replace the battery cap altogether.

HMsailor
10-02-18, 09:05
well the batteries were energizer industrial AA alkalines that came in the box. maybe eotech shouldnt supply alkalines if they recommend lithiums. i actually did clean the contacts but i think the acid made its way into the internal circuitry.

Farmd0g
10-02-18, 09:05
Yeah I wouldn't put alkalines in anything that expensive. Now that I think about it, how many $400+ items do we have in our homes that have alkalines? I can't think of anything. Most high end products have proprietary lithium. Many cameras, expensive remotes, smart phones, etc. I think the most expensive thing I have with alkalines is my gun safe.

mebiuspower
10-02-18, 09:07
maybe eotech shouldnt supply alkalines if they recommend lithiums.

I told them that and they said it's purely a cost issue. Either way, I think the manual does mention you should not leave alkalines in the optic for extended period of time.

HMsailor
10-02-18, 09:26
I told them that and they said it's purely a cost issue. Either way, I think the manual does mention you should not leave alkalines in the optic for extended period of time.

if its really a cost issue, theyll same more if they just dont supply any battery at all but I get why they chose to put alkalines instead of lithiums.

Heavyweight
10-13-18, 13:08
Completely unrelated problem but I didn't think I needed to start a new thread.

My Eotech won't hold zero. Brand new out of the box. It's the second time that I've had this issue with Eotech products.

I bought the very first Eotech ever produced. It was in the late 90s and it was branded as Bushnell....but I think it was still made by Eotech although I could be wrong. I loved that sight. I put it on the first AR15 I owned. Mounted on the carry hadle.....I thought I was King Shit. People lined up to look through it. Fast forward to 2008. Yep...that first sight lasted around 10 years before it fried itself. I bought a 510. Couldn't sight it in. The reticle wouldn't budge. Thought I must have gotten a lemon and sent it back. Full refund. I don't live in a cave. I know about all the problems Eotech had with their government contracts and customers. If you have a product that might be flawed in certain conditions you need to tell people about it. But enough time has passed and I needed a new red dot for a 300 blackout pistol build. Same deal. New in the box and I cannot get it sighted. The bullet impact changes wildly from shot to shot so this one went back too. I am unlucky I guess

I pulled a Holosun HS506 off of my dedicated .22 AR. Please....no flames....I am not saying it's better than Eotech. But I've run the shit out of it for 4 months and love it. So much so that I bought a replacement for the .22. $200 instead of $538. I know, I know. I can't bet my life on it. It might shit the bed right as the Dems are walking up my sidewalk to collect my firearms. Then where would I be? 😁

I'm just saying that I think about it there are so many options out their right now for quality red dots that don't cost an arm and a leg. I really don't know how Eotech stays in business. Im not complaining about the company. They took care of me both times. Didn't cost me a dime. But two lemmons and I'm out.

Be safe.

Heavyweight

Wake27
10-13-18, 15:54
Completely unrelated problem but I didn't think I needed to start a new thread.

My Eotech won't hold zero. Brand new out of the box. It's the second time that I've had this issue with Eotech products.

I bought the very first Eotech ever produced. It was in the late 90s and it was branded as Bushnell....but I think it was still made by Eotech although I could be wrong. I loved that sight. I put it on the first AR15 I owned. Mounted on the carry hadle.....I thought I was King Shit. People lined up to look through it. Fast forward to 2008. Yep...that first sight lasted around 10 years before it fried itself. I bought a 510. Couldn't sight it in. The reticle wouldn't budge. Thought I must have gotten a lemon and sent it back. Full refund. I don't live in a cave. I know about all the problems Eotech had with their government contracts and customers. If you have a product that might be flawed in certain conditions you need to tell people about it. But enough time has passed and I needed a new red dot for a 300 blackout pistol build. Same deal. New in the box and I cannot get it sighted. The bullet impact changes wildly from shot to shot so this one went back too. I am unlucky I guess

I pulled a Holosun HS506 off of my dedicated .22 AR. Please....no flames....I am not saying it's better than Eotech. But I've run the shit out of it for 4 months and love it. So much so that I bought a replacement for the .22. $200 instead of $538. I know, I know. I can't bet my life on it. It might shit the bed right as the Dems are walking up my sidewalk to collect my firearms. Then where would I be? [emoji16]

I'm just saying that I think about it there are so many options out their right now for quality red dots that don't cost an arm and a leg. I really don't know how Eotech stays in business. Im not complaining about the company. They took care of me both times. Didn't cost me a dime. But two lemmons and I'm out.

Be safe.

Heavyweight

Never heard of that. The reticle wouldn’t move when you were turning the windage and elevation knobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-13-18, 17:08
I bought a made in September 2018 EXPS3-0 a few weeks ago and it shit the bed doing dry work before I even shot a round with it.

The first Eotech I bought was an SU231 and it didn't work out of the box either.

Eotech is junk of the junk. Buy Aimpoint.

Wake27
10-13-18, 17:27
I bought a made in September 2018 EXPS3-0 a few weeks ago and it shit the bed doing dry work before I even shot a round with it.

The first Eotech I bought was an SU231 and it didn't work out of the box either.

What was wrong with it?

crosseyedshooter
10-13-18, 19:33
These Eotech threads never make sense to me as a quality engineer. When someone reports 100% out of box failure rate across different models and years, it would mean the product is statistically unmanufacturable. Since this isn’t the case, there must be other factors besides the quality or design of the product.

I’ve had two Eotech XPS and EXPS pre-recall and now one EXPS post recall. They’ve all held zero fine between range trips and 100+ deg car interiors. However, my life doesn’t depend on one and I’m not a professional gunfighter.

Heavyweight
10-13-18, 20:17
Never heard of that. The reticle wouldn’t move when you were turning the windage and elevation knobs?

I just mean I couldn't adjust it to point of impact. It was as if the windage and elevation controls where not even engaging.

Heavyweight
10-13-18, 20:22
I couldn't believe it either man! I felt like I need to stay out of the rain for a while too for fear of getting hit by lightning.

Everyone else I know seems to swear by Eotech. Now I'm thinking about buying the new Aimpoint CompM5.

Be safe guys.

HMsailor
10-13-18, 20:31
I totally agree with you. It just sucks seeing an American made product's reputation go down. Someone needs to buy the brand off L3 and overhaul the entire QC/QA and hire a new set of qualified engineers.

Wake27
10-13-18, 20:57
What surprises me is that L3 is actually a very good company as far as I can tell. They make a ton of those stuff in the IR/NVG realm and I’ve never heard of issues with any of it.

Heavyweight
10-13-18, 21:29
Did you guys see earlier this year that the US Special Operation Command is giving Eotech a second chance? I think it's a $23M contract. So maybe they cleaned up their act. It's a product I want to like so bad. Kinda like the Mini 14. I wanted to like that rifle so much that I convinced myself everything I had read was biased. Man was I ever wrong!

Heavyweight

Mysteryman
10-14-18, 13:45
Did you guys see earlier this year that the US Special Operation Command is giving Eotech a second chance? I think it's a $23M contract. So maybe they cleaned up their act. It's a product I want to like so bad. Kinda like the Mini 14. I wanted to like that rifle so much that I convinced myself everything I had read was biased. Man was I ever wrong!

Heavyweight

No they haven't. The issues with Eotech sights are still very much there and uncorrected.

docsherm
10-14-18, 14:11
No they haven't. The issues with Eotech sights are still very much there and uncorrected.

Which are?

HMsailor
10-14-18, 15:30
They just did a company merger with Harris Communications which makes tactical radios for the DoD and satellites for Nasa. The new company is going to be L3-Harris.

What surprises me is that L3 is actually a very good company as far as I can tell. They make a ton of those stuff in the IR/NVG realm and I’ve never heard of issues with any of it.

Don Quijote
10-14-18, 16:31
I totally agree with you. It just sucks seeing an American made product's reputation go down. Someone needs to buy the brand off L3 and overhaul the entire QC/QA and hire a new set of qualified engineers.
When your quality sucks, "overhauling the entire QC/QA" is the last thing you need to do.

Quality comes from excellence in R&D/design engineering, excellence in manufacturing engineering, excellence in materials sourcing, and excellence in manufacturing operations.

You can have the best quality assurance organization in the world and your products will still suck if the functions that actually add value to the product are substandard.

On the subject matter at hand, I went shopping for a reflex/holo sight to replace my old Aimpoint CompC and one of the EOTechs I looked at (XPS2 IIRC) had a distorted reticle right out of the box. Come on......WTF. Of all the ones I looked at within my budget the Trijicon MRO impressed me the most but the only dealer with local stock was too proud of them so I ended up back at Aimpoint with a new PRO.

If I was to buy a holographic sight the Vortex UH-1 would be it.

Butch
10-14-18, 18:19
I must be a lucky guy. I can't say enough great things about my EXPS3. My T-2 has been in the backseat ever since I bought the EOTech.

I wonder if some of the haters are "embellishing" a little. After all, it's the Internet.

I also have to wonder about the source. I bought mine from Brownells. Came hot off the assembly line complete with a Panasonic lithium battery. I don't treat my weapons as if they are made of glass and have had none of the problems I read about here. Even the other forum, on a whole, have great things to say about EOTech. This site loves their Aimpoints.

I've said it a few times before an I'll say it again, if i had to sell one or the other, you will find the Aimpoint on EE.

Heavyweight
10-14-18, 19:33

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29/ussocom-replaces-eotech-sights-with-eotech-sights/

They absolutely have gone back to Eotech.

I'm not a hater at all. I bought 3 holographic sites from Eotech over 20 years. One was awesome and the other two were defective on arrival. I'm just saying there seems to be a lot of choices now in the $500 to $800 range including other true holographic sites. I just don't think the Eotech is as rugged as other sites.

Be safe

Heavyweight

10-15-18, 08:57
What was wrong with it?

The SU231 either wouldn't turn on or had no reticle. That was in 2012. Purchased brand new.

The EXPS3-0 I had a couple weeks ago would dim the reticle on it's own. It was delivered to my shop in the afternoon, I stuck it on a gun and hit the range that night and I didn't even get a chance to shoot with it. I mounted the gun a couple of times to a very dim reticle. I thought I had been bumping the brightness button, but it wouldn't turn up unless I cycled it off and back on.

Either the elevation or windage adjust only had tactile clicks through about 1/2 a rotation, not sure if it would have caused a problem or not, but it seemed junky to me.

SigSour
10-15-18, 11:08
I can't use eotechs because of my astigmatism, but the vortex redots aren't too bad for me.