PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with a spare BCM A5 lower?

MadAngler1
09-05-18, 12:09
Last Christmas, I got one of these on sale: http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Lower-with-A5-Receiver-Extension_p_156.html

Still haven’t done anything with it. I own two 16” ARs (one carbine length gas system, another a Knight’s SR-15 MOD2 16”) and I built myself a 18” SPR style rifle. Next on my list would be to go the SBR route. So what would you do? 11.5” SBR? 14.5 or another 16” RECCE style rifle? Brand preference? BCM vs. DD? Should I buy another Knight’s upper or just a complete Knight’s rifle? Should I go for 12.5”? I would put a Surefire FH on it and run it suppressed if I went the SBR route. I bought the A5 lower with the intent of building some sort of AR variant to run suppressed on occasion. Before I submit a Form 1, and this lower would be for life of course, I wanted to get some sort of plan together. A friend suggested a Colt FBI 11.5” barrel as an option. I could definitely see a 11.5” gun as a home defense tool.

Thanks

Wake27
09-05-18, 13:12
I'd do SBR next, you have non-ATF lengths fairly well covered. 11.5 for use with a full length can or if you can find a 12.5 that you like, those seem to work with shorty cans. If you can swing the cost, a KAC CQB upper would probably be hard to beat. Otherwise, I'd just get a BCM. I've said it many times, but I feel that you get a little bit more for your money with BCM than DD.

09-05-18, 13:12
Kino.

Watrdawg
09-05-18, 13:52
SBR the lower. Like Wake said you have most of the lengths covered. I have a 10.5" Noveske and it's a bit over gassed even with the switchblock set at suppressed. Other than being over gassed I have had no issues with it. I shoot it more than my other AR's. It is suppressed and one thing i wish I would have done is get a 7.62 suppressor instead of a 5.56 one. Main reason is that i also have a LMT MWS and a 300 Blackout that I built. So I'm going to have to take the time and hassled of getting a 7.62 suppressor now. If i had done it in the 1st place I could use the same suppressor for all of my weapons.

JediGuy
09-05-18, 14:01
If I did not already have the BCM Kino, I would get it or the FBI 11.5” barrel with Colt upper.
Personally, I would much prefer a free-floated M-Lok Kino, were it an option; I run mine with a drop in MI Handguard..

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

https://www.sharkarms.com/

drtywk
09-05-18, 14:46
SBR it and go with a BCM 11.5" upper or a Sionics upper with the 11.5" RGP or ERGP barrel.

markm
09-05-18, 14:50
Fed Ex it directly to me.

The_War_Wagon
09-05-18, 15:59
The Tide pod kids will strike again. Just save it for that rainy day (it's what I did!).

MadAngler1
09-06-18, 17:01
Thanks. Any thoughts on an LMT MRP?

Jwknutson17
09-06-18, 17:15
Sell it and save for a KAC ambi lower or a LMT MARS lower. ;)

When you SBR something and engrave your lower, I go for the best quality that's out there. All my BCM SBR lowers sit in a parts drawer and were replaced with KAC ambi lowers. I have 2 BCM lowers that don't take gen3 pmags either. Never an issue with my KAC or LMT stuff.

MorphCross
09-06-18, 18:19
Do it. Especially with Brownells pricing on the 10.5 upper. All you will need will be the BCG, charging handle, and sight set up.

Rogue556
09-06-18, 18:44
Sell it and save for a KAC ambi lower or a LMT MARS lower. ;)

When you SBR something and engrave your lower, I go for the best quality that's out there. All my BCM SBR lowers sit in a parts drawer and were replaced with KAC ambi lowers. I have 2 BCM lowers that don't take gen3 pmags either. Never an issue with my KAC or LMT stuff.
As someone who has multiple BCM lowers, I agree.

The LMT MARS lowers are awesome, especially the stripped version for $275. Now that I have one they'll more than likely be the only lowers I buy, besides the occasional KAC.

I believe you can buy the LMT MWS .308 receiver extension separate to run the A5 buffer and spring too if you wanted. Pair it with an MRP upper and you're set.

alx01
09-06-18, 22:51
A friend suggested a Colt FBI 11.5” barrel as an option.

Solid advise IMHO. BCM or other quality upper in 11.5 or 12.5 would be great as well. In your case I would personally lean towards a factory BCM upper just to have a complete BCM gun. If something goes wrong with it you can always talk to them to have it fixed without excuses.

indianalex01
09-06-18, 23:02
Sell it. I have had bad luck with BCM and their customer service sucks

Achilles11B
09-07-18, 02:50
I’ve had great luck with my 12.5” BCM SBR, and recommend that route if you’re looking at SBR’ing the lower. Then again, as others have mentioned, it is nice to have a few lowers squirreled away for a rainy day.

Campbell
09-07-18, 03:29
I would continue to hang on to it, and if you choose to go the sbr route, buy a factory rifle.