PDA

View Full Version : Engraving question... Help me fix this Colt lower

masakari
09-06-18, 15:40
https://preview.ibb.co/kcqosz/20180906_155557.jpg

Okay, so I'm wondering if there is any way that the engraving on my Colt lower can be fixed. There are two issues:

As you can see, the laser engraving really did not come out very well. Comments about getting my money back from the engraver aside, it looks kind of crappy and it would be nice to sharpen it up, especially if it could be re-anodized to not be silver.

Finally, to make matters worse, the city is incorrect. Again, comments about the original engraver aside, I'd like to get that changed as well.

Since the engraving is not very deep, I'm thinking that a shallow rectangle could be engraved, which would be deep enough to obscure the current engraving, but shallow enough to allow further engraving. I would then have my name and City re engraved properly. Is this possible? Any ideas of who can do this?
Thanks guys.

ggammell
09-06-18, 18:19
who did that work?

Inkslinger
09-06-18, 19:28
That doesn’t look like it was done with a laser engraver. The chipping looks like it was done by tooling and a CNC mill. You could have the area milled down, engraved again, and cerakoted. Or just camo that bad boy and forget all about it.

JulyAZ
09-06-18, 19:34
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180907/f2da2736432c34a0e57eb5731b2554fa.jpg

I had a similar experience, I had to sand it down. Then I cerakoted the lower. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180907/537abd38ccd9973405e2a89ba50a867d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigWaylon
09-06-18, 20:45
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to what's wrong with the city...as that would determine my next step.

ace4059
09-06-18, 21:11
My first form 1 sbr lower looked like that. I had a trophy engraving store that’s local do it and they used a crude cnc router/Dremel. I just used some alumi black and never worried about it even though it was ugly.
From that point forward I sent all my other form 1 lowers to ident marking to be professionally laser engraved. You might give them a call. I’ve always been happy with their work.

masakari
09-06-18, 22:14
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180907/f2da2736432c34a0e57eb5731b2554fa.jpg

I had a similar experience, I had to sand it down. Then I cerakoted the lower. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180907/537abd38ccd9973405e2a89ba50a867d.jpg

That looks great. How did you do that sanding?

As far as the city, yes it's the incorrect city.

JulyAZ
09-06-18, 22:20
That looks great. How did you do that sanding?

Just a fine grit sand paper and taking my time, going slow.

BigWaylon
09-07-18, 07:24

Is it a nearby City? Have you assembled the firearm, yet?

If the answers are "yes" and "no"...drive to that city, attach the upper to the lower, and you're done. Color the engraving with a sharpie, or aluminum black. Odds are nobody will ever notice it. I have one that looks similar, and I just let it ride.

masakari
09-07-18, 09:17
Is it a nearby City? Have you assembled the firearm, yet?

If the answers are "yes" and "no"...drive to that city, attach the upper to the lower, and you're done. Color the engraving with a sharpie, or aluminum black. Odds are nobody will ever notice it. I have one that looks similar, and I just let it ride.

I would just prefer to have my home on the rifle. That means a lot to me.

BigWaylon
09-07-18, 09:58

THSF ought to be able to fix it if you don't choose one of the other options.

SE Flyer
09-07-18, 10:28

Why was the wrong city engraved? Lack of attention to detail by the engraver or something else?

The engraving company I use is super paranoid about verifying the proper text before starting the engraving.

masakari
09-07-18, 11:10
Why was the wrong city engraved? Lack of attention to detail by the engraver or something else?

The engraving company I use is super paranoid about verifying the proper text before starting the engraving.

They did their city instead of mine. And by looking at the quality of the text, it shows that they don't care.
I was referred to them by a co-worker. I won't be referring anyone back.

SE Flyer
09-07-18, 11:22
They did their city instead of mine. And by looking at the quality of the text, it shows that they don't care.
I was referred to them by a co-worker. I won't be referring anyone back.

Why did they use their city? Did you tell them what city to use or are they just stupid and can't follow directions?

markm
09-07-18, 13:26
I had someone spell my city wrong. No damned way I'm going to address that. No one looks at engraving anyway.

Merchant Arms here in AZ does an AMAZING job. Pappabear had some guns done with them. He actually had a form come back with a stipulation that the receiver be engraved.

BigWaylon
09-07-18, 14:38
Merchant Arms here in AZ does an AMAZING job. Pappabear had some guns done with them. He actually had a form come back with a stipulation that the receiver be engraved.

They're stamping that in a lot of the forms now, especially if you leave 4h blank.