PDA

View Full Version : Sling and light mounts - need help

frogger
10-29-08, 17:50
I have 2 questions are that are related so I thought I'd post them both here. I have a Middy AR now, and am building an M4gery.

1. I have a single point sling with an HK snap hook that I really like. I bought the Midwest Industries MCTAR-13 sling mount for each of them. It works fine, but I'm not happy with it. The biggest reason is that it protrudes past the castle nut by about 1/8" and this makes my stock (Magpul CTR) not able to use the shortest setting. I found a mount by Vltor called the SASE-2 that looks like a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Is it good or bad? YHM also makes one. Is that one any good? Any others you'd suggest?

2. I want to install a tac light to both of these eventually, but don't want to spend the money on a quad rail since I don't plan to mount anything else. I don't want a VFG or Bi-Pod and don't want to overload it with other stuff. What is a good mounting system that will attach to the front sight or bolt on to standard handguards or something else? Both AR's will have standard, fixed front sights so that seems like a good place to attach something.

CDDM416
10-29-08, 18:30
i was thinking the same thing for my cd, im not going to spend the cash on a rail sys that im not going to use. midwest sells the mounts for the fsb, they also have a short piece of rail that you can mount onto the forarm, the only thing is that you will have to drill two holes in the forarm shield. i am prolly going to go with the short piece of rail, and mount it at the 10 oclock pos.:)

KevinB
10-29-08, 18:40
Streamlight makes a polymer light rail that can be mounted (drilled thru and screwed on) to a normal set of handguards - I prefer these to FSB mounts if using regular hanguards.

As for question 1 - VLTOR makes really nice gear, much nicer than YHM...