PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds are you comfortable with in a carry pistol?

Ron3
09-10-18, 00:01
Doesn't affect me of course, I'm just curious.

For the pistol you choose to wear out in public most often. Not including reloads. Just whats in the gun.

NOT issued weapons for military and LE use. Those folks don't get much choice.

Are you cool with 5 shots from a revolver? 7 in a Glock 43? 11 in a G26?

boombotz401
09-10-18, 00:16
My minimum is a g43 and to myself it’s below what I’m comfortable with.

Day to day edc is a g19 and a spare mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09-10-18, 00:16
I'm in LE and we don't have issued weapons. We have self-purchase approved ones we can carry. Anyhoo my duty G19 is also my off-duty. I just swap mags from a 15 +5 to the standard cap mag (15rd). I'm fine with that and on occasion carry a G43 when I'm off. I have 7+1 in that.

Norseman
09-10-18, 13:28
Voted 5. My J-frames are the smallest guns I carry on a regular basis.

crusader377
09-10-18, 13:38
It depends on where you live and your threat level. I live in a very low crime area and feel more than comfortable carrying a J-Frame or a small carry pistol. However, when I visit my inlaws family outside of Memphis, I carry a service pistol or a compact service pistol.

nate89
09-10-18, 13:42
I carry either a 226 of 229 (18 or 15 in the mags, respectively). I would say I would be comfortable with fewer rounds, but that's just what I have with me almost all of the time, including a spare mag on me. If I felt like that was overly difficult to carry I would be fine with something smaller with fewer rounds, but I would like 10 minimum in the gun I'm carrying in public. I do have a j frame I might throw on if I need to run out to feed the animals, etc.

WickedWillis
09-10-18, 14:33
I carry a Glock 26 more than any handgun I own, but I am going to phase in one of my G19's here very soon for everyday carry. I used to only carry a G19, but was printing most of the time.

For me, I can't get the minimum of 10rds out of my head. Right now my G26 has the Magpul 12-rd mag in it, and I really like that size of magazine for it. I carry a spare 17rd in my truck when at work, and then on my person if I am out and about. So anything above 10 for me. Super casual civilian.

Det-Sog
09-10-18, 14:54
I'm happy with my unobtanium .357 Mag J-frame which gets 60% of the carry duty. The other 40% goes to my 7+1 or 8+1 Shield 9.

I look at it this way. Road trips excluded (local only), I'm not a LEO anymore... If I think about going somewhere that I would want 10+ rounds in something, I must ask WHY I am considering going there in the first place. Most times, I just won't go to that part of town if I can avoid doing so. Then, the Shield 9 becomes the minimum, while the 12+1 P229 in .357 Sig will probably be the first choice.

AKDoug
09-10-18, 15:08
I've tried the subcompact route several times and my brain just can't handle the low round count.. my minimum is 15 in my Glock 19.

Pappabear
09-10-18, 15:17
My Shield with extended mag gets most of my time. Super hot wardrop limited days get a j frame which I feel a touch undergunned.

My P30 gives me 100% confidence.

Arik
09-10-18, 15:22
G19 16 rounds. Almost all the time. I never looked at it as why do I need to go to an area where 16 rounds might be needed. It was never a consideration. Good gun, concealable, light, good size grip, easy to shoot. Majority of smaller guns I feel like I'm trying to grip a toothpick. Not until I started reading forums around 2010 did I even hear about location dictating gun type.

But honestly I'm fine with anything over 10, or close to 10.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

czgunner
09-10-18, 21:01
My daily edc is a 9mm Shield, I also often carry a P239 in 357 SIG.
I remember a lot of guys used to carry j frames. I think it comes down to your perceived level of threat in your environment.
We live in a quiet rural area, so I don’t worry too much about capacity.

MegademiC
09-10-18, 22:37

For the pistol you choose to wear out in public most often. Not including reloads. Just whats in the gun.

As much as I can conceal.

Typically 15 rounds, but in certain situations (NPE) I’ll accept 7-8.
Fwiw- g19 edc with shield for NPE/tight fitted clothes.

Redhat
09-10-18, 22:59
I like at least 10 (9mm) with a reload

Ron3
09-11-18, 00:00
I find myself in the 11-13 round category if it's the only gun I have on me. (what I voted for)

But I'm also comfortable with a 5-shot revolver if I have a second gun.

I've been carrying a 12+1 pistol and an 8+1 pistol for a while now. Weaker cartridges though.

Uni-Vibe
09-11-18, 00:09
I used to carry a 1911.

Gun plus spare mag = 15 rounds.

New carry gun plus spare mag = 35 rounds. I'm a lot more comfortable now. Less so when I have to carry a pocket pistol

SilentRecon
09-11-18, 09:52
My G43 with mag extension gives me 10 rds. I also carry a additional magazine with a total of 17 rounds. Overkill? Probably. The G43 just fits all my criteria for being slim, hold 10 rounds, 9mm and Glock. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

09-11-18, 10:10
I usually carry a 9mm 1911 loaded 9+1 with one or two 9 round reloads. If not that, then a CCO 9mm 1911 loaded 8+1 with one or two 9 round reloads. I occasionally carry a Glock 43 loaded 6+1 with one or two 6 round reloads.

To me, reliability and carryability trumps capacity. I just can't comfortably carry or conceal a blocky double stack pistol so I stick with single stacks. I don't try to mess with making the mags hold more because 9mm single stacks are prone to nose-diving. My reload mags on the belt are 10 rounders downloaded to 9 to facilitate easier slide forward reloading and there is a little reliability factor to a stack of 9 vs 10.

SilentRecon
09-11-18, 11:15
I usually carry a 9mm 1911 loaded 9+1 with one or two 9 round reloads. If not that, then a CCO 9mm 1911 loaded 8+1 with one or two 9 round reloads. I occasionally carry a Glock 43 loaded 6+1 with one or two 6 round reloads.

To me, reliability and carryability trumps capacity. I just can't comfortably carry or conceal a blocky double stack pistol so I stick with single stacks. I don't try to mess with making the mags hold more because 9mm single stacks are prone to nose-diving. My reload mags on the belt are 10 rounders downloaded to 9 to facilitate easier slide forward reloading and there is a little reliability factor to a stack of 9 vs 10.Did you say something about a 1911 and reliability in this post? [emoji28]

Curly
09-11-18, 17:22
I usually carry a G26 with 12 round mag, or G19. Spare 17 mag regardless.

Hmac
09-11-18, 17:33
In the extraordinarily unlikely event I would ever need to use a firearm in self defense it would be vastly more unlikely that I would need more than 5 rounds to do it.

oldtexan
09-11-18, 17:56
I carry a G17, more because it's easier for me to shoot it well than smaller guns and I can still conceal it easily, rather than because it holds a lot of ammunition. I carry a spare mag, more because I might have a stoppage than I might need 30+ rounds. I'm pretty comfortable with 10 or more rds in the gun.

WickedWillis
09-11-18, 18:10
In the extraordinarily unlikely event I would ever need to use a firearm in self defense it would be vastly more unlikely that I would need more than 5 rounds to do it.

Weird shit tends to happen though.

Tigereye
09-11-18, 18:19
I picked 7-10 since I usually carry a Shield. In winter months, I tend to carry a G19.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 20:14
I just cannot get a G19 to conceal well, and I'm very fit. I carry a G43 with extended magazines, but I secretly do not feel comfortable with the low round capacity.

Travelingchild
09-11-18, 20:20

This^ I'm not in the fugitive apprehension business , I'm in the get myself and loved ones out of Harms way Camp

GODspeed7
09-11-18, 20:28
Always carry my G19 with a spare magazine. With an average of 3-4 rounds per target to disable per FBI statistics and you encounter a 3 on one scenario, you will have just enough ammo. And the spare magazine is for the old saying, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. If your primary magazine fails, you better have a backup.

GODspeed7
09-11-18, 20:30
I just cannot get a G19 to conceal well, and I'm very fit. I carry a G43 with extended magazines, but I secretly do not feel comfortable with the low round capacity.

How are you carrying? I know many skinny/fit people that can conceal a g19 appendix with a raven concealment holster.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 20:30
How are you carrying? I know many skinny/fit people that can conceal a g19 appendix with a raven concealment holster.

Appendix with a KMFJ holster. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a T Rex Sidecar.

09-11-18, 22:28
Appendix with a KMFJ holster. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a T Rex Sidecar.
I have no affiliations with Tier 1 Concealment but their Agis is pretty sweet. It's very comfortable for me and I can hide a G19 and spare mag no problems. I'm not fit at all.

Hmac
09-12-18, 07:46
Weird shit tends to happen though.

No, it really doesn’t. It can happen. I see wierd shit occasionally in the ED...but it’s rare and it doesn’t tend to happen. It tends not to happen. Car accidents tend to happen. Falls tend to happen.

Unless you live in, say, Kandahar province or downtown Chicago, you are in far more danger of dying from a head injury sustained in a car accident than having to defend your life from some miscreant with evil intent. Car accidents don’t fall into the category of “weird shit”, they are an every day occurrence. Do you wear a helmet when you drive your car? I’m just wondering about the total commitment to risk mitigation.

Furbyballer
09-12-18, 10:26
I have only ever had to pull my gun once. It happened in a downtown atl underground parking garage at night during dragon con weekend. Got boxed in by 4 military aged males while I was approaching my car. I was carrying a kahr k9. Fortunately, as I drew and gave verbal commands, they backed off. Had that gone kinnetic I dont like those odds at all. I swapped to a glock 19 the next week and have always carried the largest gun I can conceal from that event onward.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Furbyballer
09-12-18, 10:30
I just cannot get a G19 to conceal well, and I'm very fit. I carry a G43 with extended magazines, but I secretly do not feel comfortable with the low round capacity.Look into the seraph holster from v development group and their mother of all wedges kit. Amazing combo.

WickedWillis
09-12-18, 10:49
No, it really doesn’t. It can happen. I see wierd shit occasionally in the ED...but it’s rare and it doesn’t tend to happen. It tends not to happen. Car accidents tend to happen. Falls tend to happen.

Unless you live in , say, Kandahar province or downtown Chicago, you are in far more danger of dying from a head injury sustained in a car accident than having to defend your life from some miscreant with evil intent. Car accidents don’t fall into the category of “wierd shit”, they are an every day occurrence. Do you wear a helmet when you drive your car? I’m just wondering about the total commitment to risk mitigation.

I wasn't implying you were wrong in your choice, because everyone is different and so is their needs, or perceived needs. I just personally would not feel confident carrying only 5 rounds. Mostly because I have never been in combat, or drawn a firearm in self defense.

The car analogy can work both ways too. Most vehicles have seat belts and airbags. A larger capacity and spare magazine can be viewed as built in safety nets as well. To each their own.

26 Inf
09-12-18, 12:29

Unless you live in , say, Kandahar province or downtown Chicago, you are in far more danger of dying from a head injury sustained in a car accident than having to defend your life from some miscreant with evil intent. Car accidents don’t fall into the category of “wierd shit”, they are an every day occurrence. Do you wear a helmet when you drive your car? I’m just wondering about the total commitment to risk mitigation.

I've asked the same question numerous times over the years. Folks seem to want to prepare for the 'sexiest' risk and ignore the more mundane risks.

Kind of like getting all dressed up in you leather pants/chaps and vests to ride your Harley and then going with the doorag instead of the helmet.

Hmac
09-12-18, 12:33
I wasn't implying you were wrong in your choice, because everyone is different and so is their needs, or perceived needs. I just personally would not feel confident carrying only 5 rounds. Mostly because I have never been in combat, or drawn a firearm in self defense.

Completely valid point, one that I (obliquely) tried to address when I mentioned that preparation for the dangers of life in Kandahar or Chicago would be different than here in my little corner of rural Minnesota. Even in urban areas, however, statistics appear to indicate that the average number or rounds expended in a civilian self-defense encounter is two.

As to airbags...also a valid point to consider, but despite seat belts and airbags, head injury remains far and away the leading mechanism of death in MVA's. Second leading cause of death is blunt chest trauma, so if risk-mitigation is the goal in our daily lives, those plate carriers and other forms of kevlar that are so popular here on M4C would be vastly better employed if those folks wore them while driving their car. Along with their MICH, of course. Focusing on how many extra magazines we carry while shopping at the grocery store indulging our gunfight fantasies seems a little like misplaced priorities.

Don't misunderstand...I'm not immune to those fantasies and don't look down my nose at people who indulge them. I carry a gun sometimes and don't wear a helmet while driving. If fact, I don't usually wear a helmet while riding my Harley. As you say...to each their own. Risk mitigation is a personal preference. I don't judge.

Hmac
09-12-18, 12:43
I've asked the same question numerous times over the years. Folks seem to want to prepare for the 'sexiest' risk and ignore the more mundane risks.

Kind of like getting all dressed up in you leather pants/chaps and vests to ride your Harley and then going with the doorag instead of the helmet.
Heh heh. I don't have leather chaps or vest, and as I age, my hair has preferentially gotten short enough that a doo-rag is superfluous. I like your point about sexy risks and priorities. I envision the guy driving down the road with a gun in one of his 23 carry holsters (and his backup gun), no seat belt and texting his girlfriend on his phone.

Watrdawg
09-12-18, 14:07
I carried a G19 almost exclusively and now a M&P 9 2.0 compact. I've carried my G43 with a +2 mag a time or two but just don't feel comfortable. I'll carry an extra mag with the G43 and still prefer the G19 or the M&P.

26 Inf
09-12-18, 15:11
Heh heh. I don't have leather chaps or vest, and as I age, my hair has preferentially gotten short enough that a doo-rag is superfluous. I like your point about sexy risks and priorities. I envision the guy driving down the road with a gun in one of his 23 carry holsters (and his backup gun), no seat belt and texting his girlfriend on his phone.

I love to ride, but like you, don't do the dress up thing. Unlike you, my hair hasn't gotten preferentially short. I dreamed of having my high school hair when I retired, but at about 40 realized that wasn't going to happen. My oldest son didn't make it any easier by arranging for the hair club for men to send me brochures. My only solace is that I have more hair left than him and the girls at Great Clips seem relieved to do a simple #1 all over. They even trim my eyebrows.

I wear a shorty helmet behind the fairing and a full face on my dual sport. Probably twice a month I will hope on my Sportster and ride to coffee without a helmet, but that is it.

When I carry, it is generally either my G43, my 9mm Shield, or most often, my Ruger LCP, going on the premise that a .380 in the pocket, is better than the nine at home.

Circle_10
09-12-18, 17:43
My preference is for a 9mm with a mag capacity of more than ten rounds, and a second magazine of similar or greater capacity for a reload. When I first got my CCW in 2004 I carried a Bulgarian Makarov with a Clipdraw, and a spare mag loose in my left pocket. In 2006 I switched to a Glock 23 in a Galco paddle holster and a spare mag in a Safariland horizontal pouch on my belt (between 2010 and 2013 I got lazy and became a sporadic carrier during this time, going about unarmed if having sidearm was "inconvenient". Eventually I decided I needed to get back into carrying on the regular) in 2015 I switched to a full sized HK VP9. And as of March of this year my CCW is a VP9SK with the 13 round extension and one in the pipe and a full sized VP9 15rounder as a reload in a SnagMag holder in my left pocket.
However I don't carry IWB so in hot weather, when a cover garment isn't comfortable or in situations where it's not acceptable or I'm engaging in an activity where a larger pistol in an OWB holster would be cumbersome (I recall the time I was on vacation in Acadia National Park and temporarily lost my reload HK mag after belly-crawling through a rock cave on the side of Cadillac Mountain, I didn't realize until the following day and luckily remembered the cave as the most likely place for me to have lost it.) Or at risk of exposure to bystanders, I now pocket carry a 5-shot Smith and Wesson 638 J-frame with two or three speed strips in another pocket. While I'm always cognizant of the fact I have way less firepower on tap vs when I carry my VP9SK, I don't find myself overwhelmed by fears of getting killed in the street. I practice with the J-Frame about as often as I do with my primary carry gun.
If I can, I carry the higher capacity gun OWB, if I can't, than I carry the lower capacity, less powerful one in a pocket. The former is better than the latter but either one is better than no gun.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-12-18, 21:06
J frame gets me to my shotgun...and maybe my rifle

09-12-18, 22:00
Good reading in this thread.

I think almost half the reason I carry a retarded expensive 1911 is to have something to show and talk about with my 1911 freak friends.

AndyLate
09-13-18, 07:25

This is my thinking as well, except for when I drive cross-country. I can control my environment at home and am comfortable with 6 rounds of 380 in an LCP (or no gun at all). When I'm driving out of the area, I carry my G19 with 15 rounds on tap and a spare mag in the car. It's not unusual to also have a carbine in the trunk with 4 loaded 30 round mags.

Andy

Ron3
09-13-18, 12:52
I would like to wear a helmet while driving. My commute isn't far from Mad Max. I have a spare snell sa2005 but I might start driving like I was on a road course...

Perhaps there is a market for a helmet designed for the daily grind? Fewer lines on them face, better ventilation. Can't do much about mussing hair though. The women would certainly never go for it.

I doubt there is a law forbidding it, but there could be. Motorcycle helmets are probably better about keeping peripheral vision.

I can't help but think of the old Chips episode with the car insurance fraud guys. (They wore helments)

556BlackRifle
09-13-18, 13:47
I carry my Gen5 G19 15+1 with spare G19 mag (sometimes a G17+2 mag) but I'm totally comfortable when I carry my G43 w/+1 TT extension (7+1) and a spare mag with a TT +2 (6+2). I've pulled it twice but never had to use it.

SilentRecon
09-13-18, 14:18
Im curious to how many people here have had to seriously draw their firearm? I carry my G43 + 1 mag for personal protection but mainly when I'm out with my wife and kids places. There is a lot of riff raff in S. Florida. Just recently at a kids park in a nice area- 2 pieces of trash were stalking children. When approached they got up and walked away. They had zip ties in their back pocket. A park ranger chased them down in his golf cart... but they got away. Apparebtly they have video and are on their tracks. Trafficking is huge, keeps your kids close. That being said, I've never once encountered a event where drawing my firearm would be warranted in my life and hopefully stays that way. Sometimes I wish I would be there..

MountainRaven
09-13-18, 15:15
I marked, "7-10," because I've never felt undergunned with my 1911s, although I have never felt like it's been overkill carrying a comp'd, RMR'd, U-boated G17 with 19-round magazines, either.

I could probably get away with a little pocket 380 or a G43, because, like most people who carry them, I will probably never need it.

But since I can carry a full-size pistol, I do. And when you need a gun, you really need a gun.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that the things that usually kill you in a lethal car crash will usually kill you even if you're wearing a K pot and rifle plates, too.

26 Inf
09-13-18, 17:48
Oh, I'm pretty sure that the things that usually kill you in a lethal car crash will usually kill you even if you're wearing a K pot and rifle plates, too.

Yep, getting ejected during a rollover and cushioning the vehicle with your body is probably going to hurt, bad, no matter what you are wearing.

If you are belted in properly and have a new enough car that has airbags all around, you can survive some pretty gnarly crashes.

Business_Casual
09-13-18, 19:03
And when you need a gun, you really need a gun.

Indeed.

09-13-18, 20:20
Im curious to how many people here have had to seriously draw their firearm? I carry my G43 + 1 mag for personal protection but mainly when I'm out with my wife and kids places. There is a lot of riff raff in S. Florida. Just recently at a kids park in a nice area- 2 pieces of trash were stalking children. When approached they got up and walked away. They had zip ties in their back pocket. A park ranger chased them down in his golf cart... but they got away. Apparebtly they have video and are on their tracks. Trafficking is huge, keeps your kids close. That being said, I've never once encountered a event where drawing my firearm would be warranted in my life and hopefully stays that way. Sometimes I wish I would be there..

I have twice. No shots fired.

TactiCool1976
09-14-18, 00:40
depending on what i am carrying for the day, i have anywhere from 13 to 30 rounds on me.... usually 1 mag + a spare, right now when i am at work, i carry my G43 6+1, plus the spare mag in my pocket...

Ron3
09-14-18, 06:44
Im curious to how many people here have had to seriously draw their firearm?

One blatant draw. Carjacker saw it and walked away.

Also have "prepared" to draw a belt gun a couple times. (Blade slightly, clear cover garment)

Have put hand on pocket gun (obviously looked like I was grabbing a gun) a couple times.

In the above cases the threat clearly understood what was about to happen and backed off.

I have covered a door at high ready with a pistol while unknown person banged/yelled at it.

As a LEO I only drew twice IIRC. (Short career) Didn't actually point it at anyone.

All of these events have been enough pucker factor and post event adrenaline to keep me alert.

SilentRecon
09-14-18, 07:07
One blatant draw. Carjacker who saw it and walked away.

Also have "prepared" to draw a belt gun a couple times. (Blade slightly, clear cover garment)

Have put hand on pocket gun (obviously looked like I was grabbing a gun) a couple times.

In the above cases the threat clearly understood what was about to happen and backed off.

I have covered a door at high ready with a pistol while unknown person banged/yelled at it.

As a LEO I only drew twice IIRC. (Short career) Didn't actually point it at anyone.

All of these events have been enough pucker factor and post event adrenaline to keep me alert.Damn! Yes it does happen for sure and the thankful few I'm sure are glad they had them. You can shoot all you want at the range but real life is different. Anyone had to investigate a late night noise? Adrenaline and hair standing up on your neck isnt something that's controlled easy unless people have been in that situation before.

svtpwnz
09-14-18, 07:39
I prefer to carry a pistol with decent capacity like 15+1 or better. My CCW is a Gen4 G19 and I’m perfectly comfortable with it. I live in a great area and for the most part, work in great areas. However, I sometimes have to work in some very seedy parts of town and the capacity of the G19 puts me more at ease.

I have never had to draw on anyone but came close and was at ready twice that I can recall.

Ron3
09-14-18, 07:51
Damn! Yes it does happen for sure and the thankful few I'm sure are glad they had them. You can shoot all you want at the range but real life is different. Anyone had to investigate a late night noise? Adrenaline and hair standing up on your neck isnt something that's controlled easy unless people have been in that situation before.

I think my list is fairly short. I don't go out at "dumb times doing dumb things around dumb people".

Your surprise reminds me of talking to a relative about driving on the interstate. He says, "oh sure I'll bet you folks are 55 mph every time!" I thought he was kidding at first but he wasnt. I told him 70 mph in the far right lane is the minimum to not be a traffic hazard and receive extreme censure by fellow commuters. I try to keep it to 80 mph and get passed countless times every day.

He's been in rural Maine his whole life so he doesn't understand an 80 mph commute, daily shootings and car crashes, and the constant threat of human attack.

Yea, I'm jealous of him. If I live long enough I'll retire to that life.

Gunnar da Wolf
09-14-18, 08:08
I just bought a 3” GP100 in 10mm (6 rounds) and I’m quite content with it and a reload in my normal AO. In some of the areas we transit near my MIL’s residence my VP-9 (15 +1) backed up by my XDs 9mm (8 +1) with reloads seems insufficient. It just feels like an area where you need to bring an AR and friends with ARs.

I was an LEO for over 30 years, I couldn’t guess how many times I drew a gun. Twice that I can remember I was starting to sqeeze the trigger but both times the perps got religion and went prone. I never fired at anyone.

Nanuk
09-14-18, 11:18
My main EDC is a Glock 31C or a Glock 22. I voted that. For yard work or hot and muggy I carry a S&W 640 357 mag loaded with 5.

HeruMew
09-14-18, 12:26
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Lots-of-Holsters-Boondock-Saints.jpg

All this talk about spare mags and capacity. Who all carries a BUG? ;)

For my "Situations" and where I live, I carried a 17+1 TP9v1 for months before switching to a Glock 26 12rds with a 17rd reload IWB as well.

Nowadays, I carry the CZ P-07 with 17+1 and a 17rd reload. Is 35 rounds overkill in 99% of situations? Absolutely. But, I have the space, the mag and mag carrier offset the weight of my firearm (when my surefire light is in it's holster on the same side) it helps create a very balanced belt.

My chiro is a gun guy, and he has lauded me for making sure to balance out my belt. FWIW. :meeting:

I don't have many issues with concealment (I am a bigger guy, and that helps) but working through my EDC options, the Glock has it's specific roles such as carrying when I travel for work. Anytime I have to fly to another state/carry reciprocation or I get called into the office here locally, I switch to the 26 as the holster I use is lower sitting.

TL;DR: Use what is best for your own situations. At the end of the day, capacity helps, but is not a "requirement" for majority of all areas and situations. 10+1 is my, personal, absolute minimum.

Circle_10
09-14-18, 13:45
Aside from a couple "late night noise investigation" type incidents that ultimately turned out to be nothing, during which I had a handgun/long gun ready, I've never had to draw a firearm.

In fact the closest I've ever come to drawing a gun in response to a perceived potential threat was when I was out in the woods one time and suddenly heard the tremendous commotion of something crashing up the hill toward me. Figuring that a moose or a bear was going to appear almost on top of me I recall my hand hovering over my G23 (which I was still carrying at the time). then I heard some distinctive clucking sounds and it turned out to just be a bunch of wild turkeys doing a great impression of something much bigger as they moved through the undergrowth.

Business_Casual
09-14-18, 17:10
Everyone knows Billy Connolly is from the UK and therefore would have no idea how to shoot a pistol, let alone six.

Nanuk
09-14-18, 17:43

I do. My S&W 640 is my BUG.

Uni-Vibe
09-14-18, 23:45
I do. My S&W 640 is my BUG.

My BUG is a Mini-14 with two twentys.

Jermedic
09-15-18, 20:46
I have 9 in the gun since I carry a 1911 99% of the time 1-2 extra mags balances it out on the belt. The other 1% is a revolver in 45 Colt with 6 rounds when out hunting

Hmac
09-15-18, 21:05
I have 9 in the gun since I carry a 1911 99% of the time 1-2 extra mags balances it out on the belt. The other 1% is a revolver in 45 Colt with 6 rounds when out hunting

I hunt with a Super Blackhawk, so 6 rounds. But the deer in Minnesota are aggressive so I carry a BUG to take myself out in the event that they capture me.

Nanuk
09-15-18, 21:28
My BUG is a Mini-14 with two twentys.

Where do you carry that?

BillD
09-16-18, 12:02
Ruger LC9S, 9+1, pocket carry. With 2 spare mags.

MadAngler1
09-16-18, 19:10

I wouldn’t want anything less than 8, as in a 1911 in .45 ACP. These days, I carry a Glock 19 or 26 with 14 or 11 rounds in either mag (I download by 1 and carry condition 3).

Uni-Vibe
09-16-18, 20:34
Where do you carry that?

Car trunk.

Flat tire on a two lane road. . . . gang of four pulls up, two get out, both carrying Glocks. In that situation, I'd much rather have the rifle in hand, than 9mm carry piece.

Indeed, anybody that carries a pistol should consider a semi-auto rifle or a shotgun for a vehicle gun. Your chance of needing it is even more remote than your chance of needing the carry pistol, but if things ever really get tough, it could come in handy.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-16-18, 21:42
Car trunk.

Flat tire on a two lane road. . . . gang of four pulls up, two get out, both carrying Glocks. In that situation, I'd much rather have the rifle in hand, than 9mm carry piece.

Indeed, anybody that carries a pistol should consider a semi-auto rifle or a shotgun for a vehicle gun. Your chance of needing it is even more remote than your chance of needing the carry pistol, but if things ever really get tough, it could come in handy.

Can't tell if Gecko45 or not...

themighty9mm
09-16-18, 23:25
Given the likely hood that I will need a gun, and the even lesser odds that I will need to discharge the weapon, I voted for 5. My daily carry used to be a glock 26, but I have since moved on to a beretta 92 compact. That being said, many times in the past I carried a 5 shot J frame, no reload in a pocket carry holster. Not 1 time did I ever feel at a strong disadvantage in day to day life. More rounds are great, don't get me wrong. However, at one time in my life in my teenage years, I never felt uncomfortable carrying nothing more than my pocket knife.

Ron3
09-17-18, 01:27

I do. I don't think of it as much as a "backup" gun as I do a "second gun". It may be drawn first depending on the scenario.

Mozart
09-23-18, 15:17
Depends. If it’s broad daylight in a low crime area, I’m usually ok with 7+1. If it’s any/all/combo of night, high-crime area, or high-population density area, I bring 15+1.

GHMann
09-27-18, 20:32
I usually carry a Shield .45 with 6 +1. I feel comfortable with that. Same with my Shield 9mm with a Magguts +2 kit. Gives me 10 rounds with very little added length on the grip.

Uni-Vibe
09-27-18, 20:56
Depends. If it’s broad daylight in a low crime area, I’m usually ok with 7+1. If it’s any/all/combo of night, high-crime area, or high-population density area, I bring 15+1.

Where I'm at, there ain't no low-crime area. Carjackings, gunfights, robberies, all happen in broad daylight. I'm now packing 18 + 17 in the pistol, with an assault rifle in the car.

MistWolf
10-07-18, 18:22
How many rounds am I comfortable with in my carry pistol?

All of them.

Business_Casual
10-07-18, 19:12
Where I'm at, there ain't no low-crime area. Carjackings, gunfights, robberies, all happen in broad daylight. I'm now packing 18 + 17 in the pistol, with an assault rifle in the car.

Have you considered moving?

redpillregret
10-07-18, 21:36
I wouldn’t want anything less than 8, as in a 1911 in .45 ACP. These days, I carry a Glock 19 or 26 with 14 or 11 rounds in either mag (I download by 1 and carry condition 3).

If you don’t carry with one in the chamber, why carry at all?

26 Inf
10-08-18, 11:22
If you don’t carry with one in the chamber, why carry at all?

I hope it's not because, you know, Israeli...

The fun starts around 1:40ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD2j9ks38g

Pre-Mossad Modified Draw, the goodness starts at 2:10ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnV6fobmAPM

Seriously, I can see where some folks might opt to carry 'condition 3' after giving it some thought -

One example might be if you are carrying in an environment where you have periodically shuck your pistol and leave the pistol in a vehicle, desk, or other place unattended. Condition 3 would negate the constant chambering and unchambering of a round, which as we all know, after numerous reps can lead to misfires.

I can also see where someone who decides they need to carry AIWB might desire to carry 'condition 3.' Actually the first Israeli Draw video I saw was a demo of a guy carrying a Hi-Power (IIRC) AIWB.

I you decide you need to carry your pistol in a Serpa holster you probably should consider 'condition 3' carry. :jester:

In all seriousness, if after careful consideration someone decides 'condition 3' is best for them, if isn't too hard to sacrifice some speed on presentation for chambering.

The dangers/downsides of this are obviously failures to feed. For example, a round nosing into the feedramp, or the slide failing to go all the way into battery, would be common concerns in my view.

IMO if you are going to carry 'condition 3' it should be a fulltime deal with all pistols. This is simply because pistols are designed to eject spent cases, not live rounds, and ejecting a live round during the draw would be an exercise fraught with potential for malfunction, IMO.

Personally, I don't see my ability to draw and fire two rounds on top of each other in under 1.5, as the likely difference between my survival or demise when carrying concealed, but it is nice to have that option. I think you are giving that up with 'condition 3' carry.

JMO

Sorry for the detour!

redpillregret
10-08-18, 12:06
I hope it's not because, you know, Israeli...

The fun starts around 1:40ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD2j9ks38g

Pre-Mossad Modified Draw, the goodness starts at 2:10ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnV6fobmAPM

Seriously, I can see where some folks might opt to carry 'condition 3' after giving it some thought -

One example might be if you are carrying in an environment where you have periodically shuck your pistol and leave the pistol in a vehicle, desk, or other place unattended. Condition 3 would negate the constant chambering and unchambering of a round, which as we all know, after numerous reps can lead to misfires.

I can also see where someone who decides they need to carry AIWB might desire to carry 'condition 3.' Actually the first Israeli Draw video I saw was a demo of a guy carrying a Hi-Power (IIRC) AIWB.

I you decide you need to carry your pistol in a Serpa holster you probably should consider 'condition 3' carry. :jester:

In all seriousness, if after careful consideration someone decides 'condition 3' is best for them, if isn't too hard to sacrifice some speed on presentation for chambering.

The dangers/downsides of this are obviously failures to feed. For example, a round nosing into the feedramp, or the slide failing to go all the way into battery, would be common concerns in my view.

IMO if you are going to carry 'condition 3' it should be a fulltime deal with all pistols. This is simply because pistols are designed to eject spent cases, not live rounds, and ejecting a live round during the draw would be an exercise fraught with potential for malfunction, IMO.

Personally, I don't see my ability to draw and fire two rounds on top of each other in under 1.5, as the likely difference between my survival or demise when carrying concealed, but it is nice to have that option. I think you are giving that up with 'condition 3' carry.

JMO

Sorry for the detour!

A day of combatives or force on force would change one’s mind quickly. The gun becomes quite useless quickly.

WickedWillis
10-08-18, 12:30
Have you considered moving?

Well he is carrying an "Assault rifle" in his car. so he's strapped.

A day of combatives or force on force would change one’s mind quickly. The gun becomes quite useless quickly.

When I first started carrying I thought that carrying one in the chamber was Tier 1 stuff and that I would not be safe doing it. A few training classes later, and I cannot fathom not carrying one in the chamber. YMMV.

26 Inf
10-08-18, 15:19

I don't know how much research you've done, but my opinion is that most of the time folks are victims of either lack of SA or not following basic safety rules (same thing really).

When your impetus to draw is a gun coming towards you, you are already pretty far behind the power curve, thus my observation: Personally, I don't see my ability to draw and fire two rounds on top of each other in under 1.5, as the likely difference between my survival or demise when carrying concealed. You might also notice that I also wrote: but it is nice to have that option. I think you are giving that up with 'condition 3' carry.

Instinctive movement off the threat axis is your biggest friend when someone turns on you with a gun, as they say, action beats reaction. I spent several years training before I realized that despite what I said, I couldn't prevent officers getting caught with their thumb up their rectum, and began focusing on 'move, damnit, move' in the classes I taught. In that respect instinctive movement short circuits the bad guy's OODA loop and plunks the officer ahead, making the bad guy the reactor.

Also this, A day of combatives or force on force would change one’s mind quickly. The gun becomes quite useless quickly not saying this about you or folks you train with, but most folks really don't know how to conduct quality force-on-force training.

Finally, no where did I endorse 'condition 3' carry.

redpillregret
10-08-18, 15:44
I don't know how much research you've done, but my opinion is that most of the time folks are victims of either lack of SA or not following basic safety rules (same thing really).

When your impetus to draw is a gun coming towards you, you are already pretty far behind the power curve, thus my observation: Personally, I don't see my ability to draw and fire two rounds on top of each other in under 1.5, as the likely difference between my survival or demise when carrying concealed. You might also notice that I also wrote: but it is nice to have that option. I think you are giving that up with 'condition 3' carry.

Instinctive movement off the threat axis is your biggest friend when someone turns on you with a gun, as they say, action beats reaction. I spent several years training before I realized that despite what I said, I couldn't prevent officers getting caught with their thumb up their rectum, and began focusing on 'move, damnit, move' in the classes I taught. In that respect instinctive movement short circuits the bad guy's OODA loop and plunks the officer ahead, making the bad guy the reactor.

Also this, A day of combatives or force on force would change one’s mind quickly. The gun becomes quite useless quickly not saying this about you or folks you train with, but most folks really don't know how to conduct quality force-on-force training.

Finally, no where did I endorse 'condition 3' carry.

I didn’t say you endorsed condition three, did I? Quit being so damn sensitive!

I think you blew your load here. You just drew on a friendly.

26 Inf
10-08-18, 19:28
Well, okay, sorry I misinterpreted.

redpillregret
10-08-18, 19:40
All good brother.

Chameleox
10-08-18, 20:45
I voted a while back, but never posted.

5 is my bare minimum. I generally prefer more (G17 or 19 at work), but "5" are always on me.
Warm weather (I bust out tank tops above 65)? 5.
Jogging? 5.
Kids birthday parties/function where waist high little vectors are running all over and bumping into me? 5.
Traveling in a capacity-restricted state? 5.

I can carry more, and I frequently do. Weather, attire, and activity permitting, I carry the G19. But 5 is the bottom line, not because it's some sort of ideal, but because it can always be on me. I also practice with "5" a lot. Not as much as I should, but more than others. Had a good range session last week in fact, working reloads, reaction hand, and drawing/shooting from my back. My plan in the new year is to get more practice, maybe a class.

SeriousStudent
10-08-18, 21:10
I didn’t say you endorsed condition three, did I? Quit being so damn sensitive!

I think you blew your load here. You just drew on a friendly.

Speaking of being sensitive.... Slow your roll.

SeriousStudent
10-08-18, 21:27
Here's a note for our viewers at home. It's rarely a good idea to draw attention to yourself when you've been banned multiple times under previous usernames.

redpillregret, it's really not a good idea to sneak back in with a troll account. We banned you multiple times under multiple names. Just stay banned, tylerw02.

26 Inf
10-09-18, 10:24
Man, now I feel bad. I kind of liked him. I generally like most of the folks I back and forth with.

Campbell
10-10-18, 17:02
I feel okay with 8.

T2C
10-10-18, 20:53
During warmer weather a J Frame with one or two speed strips is carried. During colder weather a 1911 with one extra magazine is carried.

I would also be curious how many rounds per month a person fires and how many dry fire repetitions they perform each day.

Circle_10
10-11-18, 02:26
I try to shoot my carry guns on a more or less once or twice per month basis, usually 50-100 rounds in a session. It's not always an exact science. Sometimes it might be not at all one month and three or four times the next month. But on average I'd say one to two times per month. While I find shooting rifle to be enjoyable I actually don't really like shooting pistol, most likely because I'm not as good at it and find it more work than fun. That's also why I tend to cap my sessions at 50-100 rounds. If I start going over that I begin to get kinda burnt out and will sometimes start shooting *worse*.
Meanwhile I can happily go fire hundreds of rounds through an AR and have a good time.
As far as dry fire, I don't do that nearly enough, mostly because I find having to manually reset the striker every time annoying. At the current time I don't think anyone makes one of those dry-firing gadgets for the VP9SK.

ChattanoogaPhil
10-11-18, 08:22
6rds.

I slip an LCP into my pants pocket in the morning and leave it there till bedtime.

I don't imagine ever needing to use a firearm to defend myself. Lacking such imagination... I choose to carry all the time.

https://i.imgur.com/Cydzlx1.jpg

Don Quijote
10-11-18, 08:24
CZ P01 is what I carry most often, so 14

sevin8nin
10-11-18, 12:54
I think part of it is rounds in the gun, and rounds on your person. I will sometimes carry a j-frame, but I always carry at least a speed strip of 6 rounds, if not two and maybe a moon-clip of 5 too. But, reloading that thing sucks compared to an auto.
Sometimes if i'm carrying a 9mm with 15+1 I'll forgo carrying an extra mag, but most of the time I carry at least an extra mag.
The last couple weeks i've been carrying my 1911 with 8+1 and a 10rd spare mag.
I just went through a "mobile handgun" class last week and brought a G19 and the 1911. For most of the drills I was perfectly comfortable with the 1911. I may have done a reload while others did not, but I put rounds on targets. The only time I longed for all the ammo in the world was prolonged drills of 45+ rounds. But a drill that required putting 2 rounds on 6 or 7 targets, 1911 was fine.
There was a guy there with a G29 (subcompact 10mm, 10rd mag) and he was getting stuff done too, but near the end was having a hard time getting rounds on target, I think due to fatigue.

Short story I guess is: how do you envision having to employ a firearm?
Single threat?
Multiple threats?
Through concealment?
At varying distances?

Tailor your carry to what you think you need to be prepared for.

For some people that's 45+ rounds on them plus an AR pistol in a bag
For others, it's a Ruger LCP on weekends when they go to church
It's all what you're comfortable with.

The_War_Wagon
10-11-18, 16:53
1911 + Wilson 10 rd. mag

11 rds. :cool:

pag23
10-12-18, 19:21
Look into the seraph holster from v development group and their mother of all wedges kit. Amazing combo.

That seems like a nice product...I like the clips, but I didn't see one for a Glock 19/23

pag23
10-12-18, 19:30
I carry a a Glock 23 most of the time...haven't gotten around to carrying my P229 or Glock 19 yet..
For me...the minimum I would go is 10 rounds, but I am more comfortable carrying close to 13 or more rounds and a back up mag.

Gunsnguitars
10-14-18, 22:11
I like 10+, but don't mind carrying a revolver or a 1911. Still, I carry a G19 or G32 almost everyday.

pag23
10-15-18, 06:12
I worry about polls like this one where we get asked about capacity of rounds in a gun...might get used for political purposes...

But I still answered..lol

ritepath
10-16-18, 17:01
All I need is 7+1 in my Shield (sometimes 8+1) or my #2 6+1 in my beloved LCP.

But that being said I don't mind 5 +0 in my 642, but I don't carry it anymore because of it's huge size...