PDA

View Full Version : Horror: Hereditary

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-10-18, 23:03
I went and saw The Nun this afternoon, all alone in the theater. It was scary, but turned into a monster movie which ruins it for me.

Tonight, my wife suggested we watch a horror movie together, which is extremely rare for us. We found "Hereditary" on pay per view, and it came highly rated. The description of the movie was:

When the matriarch of the Graham family passes away, her daughter and grandchildren begin to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry, trying to outrun the sinister fate they have inherited.

That was so vague, we really knew nothing about what to expect. We knew it was made by the same crew as The VVitch, which I thought was scary and well done.

When we finished it, we were speechless. I've never seen a horror movie like that before, especially one that shook me and thoroughly entertained me. It was far more psychologically scary than any other I've seen, which is exactly what I've been wanting. We're wide awake now, a little to creeped out to sleep, watching netflix for a "chill out" feeling.

Watch it.

austinN4
09-11-18, 07:10
I tried to watch it but couldn't get into it. Based on your review, maybe I should give it another go.

OH58D
09-11-18, 08:08
In the Fall of 1974, went to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre six times with different friends. It was unique, well done, and implies gore, but it's not gory. A first where sequels never lived up to the original. And yes it was rated R, so I had to go with older friends (I was 14 at the time). The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis was also excellent as well.

Personally, I have always been a fan of the Hammer-Seven Arts films from England in the 1960's with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

titsonritz
09-11-18, 10:55
It was far more psychologically scary than any other I've seen, which is exactly what I've been wanting.

That is exactly what I look for in a good scary movie, most suck ass because they are all about the blood, gore and shit jumping out at you. A good psychologically scary horror flick is so much better than all that BS. I skip most of this genre unless I get a recommend like this.

In the Fall of 1974, went to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre six times with different friends. It was unique, well done, and implies gore, but it's not gory. A first where sequels never lived up to the original. And yes it was rated R, so I had to go with older friends (I was 14 at the time). The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis was also excellent as well.

Personally, I have always been a fan of the Hammer-Seven Arts films from England in the 1960's with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

I parallel with everything you said here.

austinN4
09-11-18, 11:05
This is my all time favorite scary movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/?ref_=ttls_li_tt
It is based on the Henry James story "The Turn of the Screw".

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-11-18, 11:05
My daughter loves scary movies. This one was suggested to us as the scariest. Waiting for a night to watch it with her.

donlapalma
09-11-18, 11:51
It's pretty rare to get a well executed horror movie. The comparisons to The Exorcist really made me question its legitimacy because usually that type of talk is just marketing. I ended up seeing it twice in the theater and I really liked it. It has a lot of the typical horror movie devices, but what I can say for sure is that the pacing and tempo is really nailed down. It is not so much that "gotcha" type of scary, but more psychological as others have said.

I found myself tensing up during the second screening even though I knew what was going to happen on screen. That's rare for me.

flenna
09-11-18, 13:40
Sorry, I don’t do horror or slasher movies. The last one I saw was Event Horizon and it still scares me just thinking about it.

Moose-Knuckle
09-11-18, 13:50
It's that time of year (Halloween just around the corner) . . .

We just watched the original The Amityville Horror (1979) and Burnt Offerings (1976). For some reason I prefer films in this genre from the 70's but Hereditary sounds right up our ally.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 14:27
It's that time of year (Halloween just around the corner) . . .

We just watched the original The Amityville Horrora(1979) and Burnt Offerings (1976). For some reason I prefer films in this genre from the 70's but Hereditary sounds right up our ally.

It feels like Rosemary's Baby and the Excorcist the entire way through, very old school terror.

austinN4
09-11-18, 15:44
Sorry, I don’t do horror or slasher movies. The last one I saw was Event Horizon and it still scares me just thinking about it.
Can a movie not be scary without overt horror or slashing? I believe that is what the guys are calling psychologically scary.

flenna
09-11-18, 17:00
Can a movie not be scary without overt horror or slashing? I believe that is what the guys are calling psychologically scary.

Yes, it can. Maybe my definition of horror and suspense differ. The Sixth Sense: suspense. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: horror.

RetroRevolver77
09-11-18, 17:46
I watched the first Paranormal Activity, the cheap one that they filmed for like $20K. That was a scary movie.

donlapalma
09-11-18, 19:57
Forgot to mention earlier, I thought Toni Colette did a fantastic job in her role. Her acting was first rate.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 20:09
Forgot to mention earlier, I thought Toni Colette did a fantastic job in her role. Her acting was first rate.

Agreed. She really sold the part.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 20:09
I watched the first Paranormal Activity, the cheap one that they filmed for like $20K. That was a scary movie.

I hate to admit it, but that movie scared the dog doodoo out of me.

titsonritz
09-12-18, 00:05
It's pretty rare to get a well executed horror movie. The comparisons to The Exorcist really made me question its legitimacy because usually that type of talk is just marketing. I ended up seeing it twice in the theater and I really liked it. It has a lot of the typical horror movie devices, but what I can say for sure is that the pacing and tempo is really nailed down. It is not so much that "gotcha" type of scary, but more psychological as others have said.

I found myself tensing up during the second screening even though I knew what was going to happen on screen. That's rare for me.

The Exorcist might be the most terrifying movie made.

Moose-Knuckle
09-12-18, 11:46

This.

CGSteve
09-13-18, 23:16
East Asians do psychological horror very well. Try Audition or The Wailing if you don't mind reading subtitles for good films. Also, for much better choreographed action, Asian films such as Ong Bak I and II, Killzone, and The Raid I and II are pretty spectacular. We are not talking about your old school cheesy kung fu flicks or your artsy wire flying like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but fight scenes with traditional SE Asian and other martial arts that look like plenty of extras and stuntmen have broken bones or ended careers from.

titsonritz
10-09-18, 03:13
Watched it with the kids this weekend. Creepy ass flick. Highly recommend it. Disturbing.

SeriousStudent
10-09-18, 22:08
When I opened this thread and saw "hereditary horror" I thought it was about my former mother-in-law.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-10-18, 00:03
Best horror movie I have seen in decades. Horror almost never sticks with me, this one did.

LMT Shooter
10-10-18, 21:54
I watched it last night, and again tonight. I got chills both times, never had that happen from a movie before. Very creepy vibe to the whole movie, really well made film, although I'm no film critic.

The twist at the end, wow.... just wow.

Adrenaline_6
10-11-18, 09:54
I agree. For some reason this film stuck with me and made me think about its creepiness. No horror film has done this to me. Maybe it is the fact that the satanic culture portrayed is based on a lot of fact and that Paemon is indeed believed to be one of the major demons in that culture. It could be our sixth sense telling us something. Who knows. All I know is it was creepy.