PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9/11, 17 years later

militarymoron
09-11-18, 07:50
As I drove into work this morning listening to NPR, I remember doing the same thing 17 years ago. Reports were just coming out about the first plane hitting the WTC. As the morning progressed, the second plane hit and the word spread. No one was talking about work. Then we were all sent home where I sat in front of the TV with my wife to watch the day unfold. Two co-workers from my work site never made it home; they were on AA Flt 77. I pass by their memorial every day in the hall when I come into work. The repeating images of the planes hitting the towers and the towers on fire and collapsing are burned into my memory; just like those of the failed Challenger launch in 1986 (I was a sophomore in college). I'll never forget this day.

30 cal slut
09-11-18, 07:52
Have another one, you mother****er.

That's all. Have a nice day.

https://i.imgur.com/AFdGRjs.jpg

Sam
09-11-18, 08:52
https://i.imgur.com/5HkCHzh.jpg

Vegas
09-11-18, 09:25
I remember being up late the night before and ignoring phone calls. Finally my wife woke up and answered the phone in the living room and her screaming for me to wake up and look at the TV. I think I watched cable news channels about 22 hours straight that day trying to make sense of it all. I was living in Fort Lauderdale at that time so the anthrax thing up at Boca Raton wasn't that far away. Definitely different times...

diving dave
09-11-18, 09:49
As has been said many times, never forgive, never forget.

rero360
09-11-18, 11:05
I was at Ft Benning on the rifle range when it all went down. The Drill Sergeants pulled us off the range and we had a Company formation, anyone who was from the NYC and PA were allowed to call home to make sure their families were ok. Within a week the cadences being called changed, no longer was it about killing charlie and commies, but rag heads and camel jockeys.

Sam
09-11-18, 11:10
As for my own memory of that day, there were several.

I drove to the electronic big box store a few miles from my old office and found the beltway (perimeter interstate around this huge city) was practically deserted at lunch hour. Walking into the big electronic store, there was not a single portable tv left. The salesmen said they were sold out of TV 10" and smaller. That was back before there were wall to wall live webcasts on the internet. The traffic info sign on the interstate had the message about national emergency and the airport (2nd or 3rd largest in CONUS) was closed. You never seen that before nor since those few days.

Doc Safari
09-11-18, 11:46
I remember people in a very Hispanic neighborhood celebrating. I am still bitter over this.

Wake27
09-11-18, 11:48
I remember people in a very Hispanic neighborhood celebrating. I am still bitter over this.

Wow. That’d probably be the most infuriating thing I’d ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
09-11-18, 11:51
Wow. That’d probably be the most infuriating thing I’d ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't even talk about it most of the time. I won't say where it is. I was shocked that such a thing could even happen on our soil. Most of the time I suppress the memory of it, but whenever the 9/11 commemorations start: I remember. People standing on the ground of the best country on Earth were actually cheering the 9/11 attacks. My stomach churns whenever I remember it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 17:03
Wow, 17 years has gone by so fast. I was in 7th grade, watched it on TV, but understood none of what was happening. How could a child grasp the magnitude of how the world was going to forever change?

AKDoug
09-11-18, 17:22
I remember scraping the frost off my truck in the dark and warming it up. I pulled out of the driveway and heard the news. My business didn't open for two hours, so I whipped around and went back in the house. I watched the second plane hit and stayed glued to the T.V. until the collapse. At the time I was a volunteer F.F. and EMT. It really hit home that people just like me willingly went in to do what they could and never returned.

The second thing that I really remember is that it was the height of hunting season in Alaska and I had multiple friends that were in remote areas dropped off by bush planes. With the several day ban on flights, many of them were trapped and had no idea what was going on.

flenna
09-11-18, 18:42
I was working second shift at the time and woke up late. I had a missed page that said call the PD when you get this. Since I was, and still am, boycotting the cable company at the time I didn't have television. I turned on the radio on the way to the kitchen and noticed it wasn't the usual talk show- what is going on? I called the PD and was told to be on standby until further notice. My family is originally from NY with several still there and working in the city. A close cousin actually worked in one of the towers. I called my parents, who live in SC, and my Mom was crying. My Dad filled me in and said they have been unable to get through on the phone to family members still in NY. I remember how somber everyone was sitting in the squadroom before the shift that day. Everyone knew that our country had changed forever.

SteyrAUG
09-11-18, 18:59
I remember watching TV and loading mags because I wasn't sure what else I should be doing.

The week after was surreal, guys with M16s and dogs at Ft. Lauderdale airport and an actual Abrams tank parked on the airport perimeter road very visible from I-95.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-11-18, 19:01
Wow, 17 years has gone by so fast. I was in 7th grade, watched it on TV, but understood none of what was happening. How could a child grasp the magnitude of how the world was going to forever change?

You are either a lot younger than I thought, or failed even more grades than I thought anyone could... ;)

People have forgotten. Heck 25% of the US population probably wasn't born or has no direct memory of it.

Wildcat
09-11-18, 19:08
A transcript of Tom Burnett's final calls to his wife:

http://www.tomburnettfoundation.org/transcript.html

Tom (on board United 93): "....Good. (a long quiet pause) We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane....."

dwhitehorne
09-11-18, 19:09
I got called in off leave to work midnights. Patrolled the DC side of the Potomac river on foot for 3 nights watching the Pentagon smoldering while all lit up with lights. A few days later I was assigned to Arlington cemetery along the fence line to keep the media out of the debris field in the cemetery. Hard to believe that was 17 years ago. My blood still boils when the history channel plays the footage. David

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-11-18, 20:10
You are either a lot younger than I thought, or failed even more grades than I thought anyone could... ;)

People have forgotten. Heck 25% of the US population probably wasn't born or has no direct memory of it.

29, but I did do an extra year of High School because I liked it so much HA!

Vandal
09-11-18, 20:27
I remember first hearing about it as I was getting ready for school on the radio and thinking it was an accident and turned on the TV at home. When the second plane hit I knew it wasn't an accident. We did nothing all day at school, I was a high school sophomore, but watch CNN, Fox News, CBC, etc. Football practice that day was completely half-assed and we were just going through the motions. Really that whole week was useless.

The military recruiters used to come by twice a month, usually in a Class B type uniform talking about money for college, travel and that stuff. The next time they came by, each was in cammies, talking about how their branch was going to be killing terrorists.

It absolutely had an impact on my career plans and course of study in college. To say otherwise would be lying to myself.

MegademiC
09-11-18, 21:22
8th grade- civics class- started watching just before the second plane hit. I didnt know what the big deal was until I realized it was in our country... then it hit home.

Falar
09-12-18, 00:45
I was at Ft Benning on the rifle range when it all went down. The Drill Sergeants pulled us off the range and we had a Company formation, anyone who was from the NYC and PA were allowed to call home to make sure their families were ok. Within a week the cadences being called changed, no longer was it about killing charlie and commies, but rag heads and camel jockeys.

You must have shipped about 2 weeks before me. Similar experience here, only our company secretly whisked away the New Yorkers and we thought it was a rumor until the next day when the 1SG addressed the Company.

Krazykarl
09-12-18, 07:54
I thank God for my now 7 year old son. His birth on 9-11-11 brings me great happiness on what had been a very tragic day.

Averageman
09-12-18, 10:02
I had retired from the Military in May, I was teaching Math at the local High School; actually sitting in for another Veteran who needed the day off.
I had the TV on in the classroom and kept it on and I burned, I mean my mouth was dry and my ears were hot. I needed to get back to Active Duty.
I couldn't do that because I was retired and I had lost most of all of my hearing. I did the next best thing and began working as a Contractor. I went back to the system I had spent decades on and began at the bottom and in a couple of years was later imbedded with a Combat Engineer unit deployed in Baghdad doing maintenance. I rode that horse in for 14 + years.
We still haven't delivered the complete ass kicking needed and we certainly haven't given it to the right people,....yet.

rero360
09-12-18, 11:17
You must have shipped about 2 weeks before me. Similar experience here, only our company secretly whisked away the New Yorkers and we thought it was a rumor until the next day when the 1SG addressed the Company.

Charlie 2-58, I graduated the day before thanksgiving.

wildcard600
09-12-18, 21:37
Let us never forget.

“Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll.”
Todd Beamer - Flight 93
9/11/01

https://d2v9y0dukr6mq2.cloudfront.net/video/thumbnail/WUS5VgH/911-lights-in-new-york-city-empire-state-building-and-manhattan-skyline-at-night-in-nyc-with-september-11th-world-trade-center-memorial-beams_ey1s0dax__F0000.png

MorphCross
09-12-18, 23:51
Never forget the people who chose to jump rather than face a death from burning, never forget the massive debris clouds that covered city blocks, never forget the first responders who didn't make it out, and never forget the sacrifices since then in the Global War on Terror.

Jer
09-17-18, 10:26
I didn't get a chance to post because we were traveling but we flew the morning of 9/11 this year. I didn't think much about it but we had to fly to Seattle from Denver to pick up a car we bought but the cheapest tickets were at 8:05am MST. As we were in line for security I was being annoyed as usual in all the idiots slowing down the works when, at 6:46am MST, an announcement was made over the PA of the entire airport that was louder than I had ever heard. It was calling for a moment of silence for all that lost their lives on 9/11 and everything just stopped. Everyone was quiet. No TSA moved. It was surreal. Then, at the end, the colors were displayed on the walkway overhead while Amazon Grace was played on bag pipes to end the moment of silence. My allergies acted up a bit. Suddenly my "problems" were put into perspective and I was no longer concerned with how long security was taken.

Rest Easy.

Never forget.

sundance435
09-18-18, 08:32
I didn't get a chance to post because we were traveling but we flew the morning of 9/11 this year. I didn't think much about it but we had to fly to Seattle from Denver to pick up a car we bought but the cheapest tickets were at 8:05am MST. As we were in line for security I was being annoyed as usual in all the idiots slowing down the works when, at 6:46am MST, an announcement was made over the PA of the entire airport that was louder than I had ever heard. It was calling for a moment of silence for all that lost their lives on 9/11 and everything just stopped. Everyone was quiet. No TSA moved. It was surreal. Then, at the end, the colors were displayed on the walkway overhead while Amazon Grace was played on bag pipes to end the moment of silence. My allergies acted up a bit. Suddenly my "problems" were put into perspective and I was no longer concerned with how long security was taken.

Rest Easy.

Never forget.

I flew on 9/11 this year, too. No displays or moments at any of the 3 airports I went through (including O'Hare), which kind of pissed me off. Most of us think TSA is a hassle (and you could debate how effective it is), but on that day it put it into perspective and I thanked them for what they were doing.

9/11 was my generation's "JFK" moment and it's one of the few days I can remember like it was yesterday.