PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me On The Best Way To Cut The Cord...

SteyrAUG
09-12-18, 17:37
Currently I have the "everything" package from a cable provider and it's costing me about $200 a month for high speed internet, internet phone service and all of the premium movie channels.

My most important need is to keep a high speed internet provider (and not one that relies on a dish or antennae) and a DVR service. I'm not available enough for live streaming, I will miss 90% of everything.

I can easily lose the internet phone since I use my cell for just about everything.

But I want to keep my premium movie channels (HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Movie Channel, Showtime, etc) as well as having a local channels option and it would be nice if I could get Amazon as well as Netflix streamed to my DVR. Currently my cable provider only offers Netflix and a could others like Hulu but not Amazon.

Is there really a more cost effective alternative to the above?

markm
09-12-18, 17:53
Shit. I just dumped the basic plan from Direct TV. It was exhausting getting free of those parasites. I've gone to a $20 HD antenna from Amazon and said Fu#k it all to all the providers.

I will never subscribe to any of those providers again... EVER.

ggammell
09-12-18, 18:21
Depending on the provider, you may not be able to down grade without going “a la carte” for Internet at tv. And that’s usually more expensive than keeping the triple package. We just unplugged our phone.

BoringGuy45
09-12-18, 18:34
We got rid of our cable tv plan this past spring. We only use the cable for internet. I don’t really miss it. We mostly just watch Netflix and Amazon prime tv, and we have sling tv for news and local sports, all on my Xbox One. We’re saving about $75 a month and not really missing anything.

1_click_off
09-12-18, 18:54
Can you get YouTube tv where you are? I pay about $40 and get my local channels and unlimited DVR.

You can get a roku and add on just the premium channels you want to that.

I use my cell for a phone and have a cable modem.

If you call and cancel Direct tv they will offer you all kinds of deals and as a last resort they offer the streaming service which is priced ok. They only have about 20hr of DVR storage right now though.

Youtubetv uses your device location to find the local channels, so they change pending where you are viewing. Not sure how Direct tv does it. I only lasted for the trial period and dumped it. Again you can add premium channels to the Direct tv line up.

Both are monthly services with no contract.

So I now just have YouTube tv, Netflix, and amazon.

RetroRevolver77
09-12-18, 19:06
Apple TV with HBO Now and Netflix is all I have along with internet. Eventually either Netflix or HBO will get a movie I've been wanting to see. I don't watch much television though.

just a scout
09-12-18, 19:22
I got rid of cable. Just have Xfinity internet and an AppleTV. I use Hulu Live and Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HMM
09-12-18, 20:18
I cut the cord but kept internet. I'm saving $80 a month. I put in a directional antenna and bought a channel master DVR to record the local stuff. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and 10 or so other channels that I rarely watch from the antenna. I picked up Netflix (already had Amazon Prime), we couldn't be happier. Only thing I really lost is ESPN and I've learned to live without it.

Krazykarl
09-12-18, 20:41
The bitch about service providers is all of their equipment rental fees. Comcast Xfinity charged me for their DVD service, main box, digital converter box, and triple play modem/router. 4 months ago I bought a Netgear router, surfboard modem, and 2 amplified tv antennas. I went from $190/month to $110/month to maintain my land line and high speed internet both from Comcast. So far so good. My wife added Amazon prime last month. I like it so far. Forgot to mention that the TV antennas produce 15 channels HD....

tb-av
09-12-18, 21:02
That cord cutting is a bit of a canard. If you want to do everything legal you still have to pay someone.

Comcast / Xfinity has a business class Internet. No phone / TV. It's fast and I think their most affordable.

After that you can got OTA if you live in proximity to a lot of broadcasters. Still won't get you all that premium stuff.

Beyond that you have pay somebody which is sort of deciding do you want an iPhone or a Galaxy or Ford or Chevy.

There is a -LOT- of stealing involved when you hear people talk about having cut the cord and getting everything.

You just have to sit down and do the math. All those companies, NetFlix, Hulu publish their rates. Just make a list of everything you want. Then determine where it can be had, either through bundle or direct from source. Add 'em all up. You may be able to save some money but if you want a variety and no hassle situation, the prices are probably going to be pretty similar.

I gave up on all that NetFlix, Hulu stuff. I actually like watching Youtube videos. There is some really good stuff out there. It's not the same as watching a real movie but the price is right.

I can't think of a TV show that I would need to watch. The really good stuff if you haven't seen it yet can be had at Goodwill for the season DVDs.

I just don't think there is any elegant low cost way to have current premium broadcast content. Other than local OTA which is not HBO, etc..

I have not tried it... but I know at least one one person who's opinion on content delivery I would value very highly and he claims to love this setup. I forget which device he plugs to his TVs but it's just one of those $50 dongles.

https://www.sling.com/

This is growing but beware this is for --your content--.. .they are expanding though. So if you have a library of content it's interesting.
https://www.plex.tv/

NWPilgrim
09-12-18, 21:21
We have Xfinity cable for high speed internet ($80/mo). No home phone just cells. We already had Amazon Prime for the free shipping so Prime video is also free. From Amazon you can purchase individual premium channels like HBO, individual movies or seasons or shows. We rarely buy any premium content, but do have Netflix at $9/mo. Get your own DVR and record whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zombiescometh
09-12-18, 22:53
Here's a good basic overview of the main tv streaming services and their prices and options.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-tv-streaming-services-for-cord-cutters/

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

uffdaphil
09-12-18, 23:29
Today is day one without cable for me. I had the tv/internet/phone package from Xfinity for years, but the price kept going up and seemed like every few years they would move a must-have channel to a higher tier. I also have had Netflix and a Roku for a long time. The only reason I kept cable this long is for sports and Turner Classic Movies.

Hulu, Amazon and Youtube didn’t have what I wanted, but stupid me never checked out Playstation Vue cuz I got no Playstation. Now the Vue Elite level ($60/mo) gives me sports, TCM and every other channel I like plus a bunch I have not checked out yet through my Roku saving me about $80/month. And it includes a 28 day cloud dvr. The only thing I miss is the Xfinity remote. Roku is pretty basic.

I also replaced my old modem and router today which I should have done a long time ago. My MPS download speed went from mid-thirties to mid-ninties+.

eightmillimeter
09-13-18, 00:01
I’m guessing you’re in Mediacom territory based on your new AO. If that’s the case, you’re f-ed for at least the next decade because mediacom will be the last cable company in IA to switch everything to fiber optic.

SteyrAUG
09-13-18, 01:14
I’m guessing you’re in Mediacom territory based on your new AO. If that’s the case, you’re f-ed for at least the next decade because mediacom will be the last cable company in IA to switch everything to fiber optic.

Good to know.

flenna
09-13-18, 05:08
The cable company, albeit in a different town than where I currently live, pissed me off 20 years ago so I cut it off and haven’t looked back since. It did wonders for my family and especially my children. They would rather be reading a book, playing or running around outside instead of sitting in front of a television. Come Christmas I would ask them what they want and they would have to think about it for a while instead of spouting off what ever the newest gadget was they saw on the television.

SilverBullet432
09-13-18, 06:29
Got rid of cable TV years ago. Now we just pay $60/Month for a 600 meg connection with no data cap. Bought an external antenna to watch the locals/news on, stream everything else.

1_click_off
09-13-18, 09:41
Don’t overspend on speed if you only have 1 device connected.

Most Ethernet ports are only going to do 100meg. So if you have several 100meg devices connected, it makes sense to get the bigger package.

One mistake I often see is folks buy the high bandwidth modem and plug it into a 100meg switch. This bottlenecks everything.

You want to go into a gigabit port from the modem and then plug your individual devices into the other 100meg ports.

maximus83
09-13-18, 10:29
We've been cord-cutters for about 10 years, starting shortly after netflix launched its streaming service. We've tried a variety of different solutions, here's the current one:

* No phone service other than cell phones
* Frontier Fios fiber optic internet service 100mb speed ($50/month--the extra bandwidth helps if you have multiple tv's or people and devices in your house that will be simultaneously accessing it)
* The $20 HD antenna from Amazon. Handy for local channels, pulls in about 15 stations in our area.
* Amazon Prime (included if you have a Prime membership, good comprehensive source where you can rent most movies and tv that's available, lots of free content included, and can add a la cart channels like HBO).
* Netflix

I would suggest similar to what someone above mentioned. Get yourself the Roku streaming device, they are the most universal device in the sense of working with most streaming services in a single integrated device that's easy to use can control all your viewing in all services with a single remote. Definitely subscribe to Netflix, and get yourself an inexpensive HD antenna for local channels. If you don't have a Prime membership, that's a great source of both free video and the ability to rent the newest/latest stuff that comes out, not to mention all the free shipping and other benefits. And one more thing you'll need, a cable tv-like package that includes a bunch of cable channels with add-on options. Best options IMO: Sling TV, or Youtube TV. Given your first post, sounds like you will want add-on movie channels, Sling TV is well setup for that: https://www.sling.com/. You can subscribe to whatever base package you want, $25 to $40, gives you a bunch of the standard cable channels. Then you can add the a la cart extras like HBO, specialty sports channels, etc. If I were starting today and wanted a la cart channels like you, I'd get the above setup, the roku, and add Sling Tv with whatever add-on channels you want.

TMS951
09-13-18, 11:14
I called my cable company and told them I don't want anymore television and I just wanted internet.

Don't miss crappy cable at all. Makes actually hate tv more when I'm at a hotel or something that has it.

My best suggestion for you is that you get off the idea you need the movie channels. Once you are happy with Netflix/Amazon and buying movies you'll be free of cable. My wife and I love buying 5$ used DVD and Blurays, especially on movies we would like in our collection. I have bought some movies off of I tunes, but they are expensive.

Adrenaline_6
09-13-18, 11:44
1) Get a decent fast internet connection that is a good deal.
2) Subscribe to a VPN service like IPVanish
3) Use a IPTV subscription like Durex 2.0, Gears/Reloaded, Vader Streams, SET IPTV, KODi Solutions, etc - all of them are from $5 to $20/month
4) Use Kodi for anything else (Subscribe to Real Debrid for better search results on Kodi @$4/month)
5) Win

usmcvet
09-13-18, 22:42
Shit. I just dumped the basic plan from Direct TV. It was exhausting getting free of those parasites. I've gone to a $20 HD antenna from Amazon and said Fu#k it all to all the providers.

I did the same thing 5 or 6 years ago. I thought the DVR was going to be tough. But it also felt like homework. I had to watch xyz and clear it from the DVR memory. Now if I’m hime and something is in I want to watch I watch it. Just like when we were kids. I have Several Fire-sticks and older Roku boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr. Bullseye
09-13-18, 22:56
3) Use a IPTV subscription like Durex 2.0, Gears/Reloaded, Vader Streams, SET IPTV, KODi Solutions, etc - all of them are from $5 to $20/month
4) Use Kodi for anything else (Subscribe to Real Debrid for better search results on Kodi @$4/month)
5) Win

Solution: call a guy like this, pay him to come over and exactly spell out what you need and how to get it.

Do it but be prepared to give up some of that TV programming you are used to. Everyone has this comfort zone and nobody wants to give it up ----but nobody wants to pay those prices. To gain something you have to lose something.

pinzgauer
09-13-18, 23:19
5) WinAnd you are probably looking at $100/mth or more, and still have a hodgepodge of stuff that will still be missing some of the programming you are currently watching.

Everyone I know who cord cut either came back or gave up tv entirely. "I'll just watch youtube"

AKDoug
09-14-18, 01:49
And you are probably looking at $100/mth or more, and still have a hodgepodge of stuff that will still be missing some of the programming you are currently watching.

Everyone I know who cord cut either came back or gave up tv entirely. "I'll just watch youtube" I'm quite content with having no news programming or local channels. I pick up the few things I use to like on Hulu and watch Netflix. When I finally quit watching the NFL, it was easy for me to cut the cord. Since we already had Amazon Prime for purchases, the ability to watch programming on it was a bonus. Getting rid of Dish Network saved me $120 a month.

Adrenaline_6
09-14-18, 08:00
And you are probably looking at $100/mth or more, and still have a hodgepodge of stuff that will still be missing some of the programming you are currently watching.

Everyone I know who cord cut either came back or gave up tv entirely. "I'll just watch youtube"

I currently pay $60 for a 100MB fiber connection. Durex 2.0 is $12.50/month. IPVanish always has some special going and easy to find. Currently about $65/year. Real Debrid is 4 Euro/month. I do have Amazon Prime, but not for video. I also could cancel my Neflix, but for convenience have kept it. So yes, a little less than $100/month using a 2nd gen FireTV. (best box to use other than the Nvidia box)

As far as missing programs goes, I miss nothing I don't want to miss and can watch them at my leisure. Durex 2.0 has a substantial amount of live local channels from major cities, I get all PPV events in 1080P. Youtube supplies 0% of what I digest for official video entertainment.

Durex 2.0 channel lineup = http://jc.durextv.xyz/home/channel . You F1 guys will love the helmet cam feeds.

There is a learning curve when cutting the cord, but the money savings is good and once I got the hang of it, I wouldn't think of going back short of something major happening to the price and channel structure.

tb-av
09-14-18, 13:54
IPVanish always has some special going and easy to find. Currently about $65/year.

NordVPN typically has $36 year offering. Plus they have added a lot of servers.

Adrenaline_6
09-14-18, 14:14
NordVPN typically has $36 year offering. Plus they have added a lot of servers.

Yes, I subscribed to IPVanish for a year awhile back before NordVPN was so improved. Might switch if everything remains the same when my subscription runs out.

Business_Casual
09-15-18, 16:32
Interesting;

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cord-cutters-beware-streaming-tv-prices-are-marching-higher-1536943821

jmp45
09-15-18, 18:01
NordVPN special was $99 for 3 years, now $95 for 2.

duece71
09-15-18, 21:43

This. It’s really the only way. Cold turkey if you wish.

SteyrAUG
09-16-18, 02:06
This. It’s really the only way. Cold turkey if you wish.

Need my Game of Thrones, wife is a Walking Dead junkie, need local weather and news, etc. Looks like I'm hooked for the time being.

duece71
09-16-18, 07:59
Need my Game of Thrones, wife is a Walking Dead junkie, need local weather and news, etc. Looks like I'm hooked for the time being.

Yes, I hear ya. I have to wait for WD season 8 to come out on Netflicks...sucks. For me, it’s about NOT paying for stuff I will never watch or don’t have time to watch.

Pi3
10-02-18, 21:54
We have a digital antenna, Netflix and Amazon prime. My wife has more content than she can watch. I haven't been watching a lot of TV lately and try to not pay for things I don't use.

AKDoug
10-02-18, 22:49
We have a digital antenna, Netflix and Amazon prime. My wife has more content than she can watch. I haven't been watching a lot of TV lately and try to not pay for things I don't use.

I have to admit, there is more content on Netflix and Amazon that seem to appeal to the ladies. My wife has no less than a dozen British crime dramas going right now and I can't stand any of them.

10-03-18, 12:35
We use Netflix, Hulu Live, and an HD antennae; which gets around 30 channels, including local news. Also gets news from outside the US such as DW News and France 24 Live. Really like France 24. Usual European slant but covers lots of things/areas American news doesn’t. Watch it every night. Don’t miss DIRECTV. Use Comcast for ‘net and home phone. Can’t seem to give up home phone.

tb-av
10-03-18, 16:20
PSA: Some sort of NetFlix scam going on. Just saw on news. Fake sites, stealing your personal info. In case anyone was getting the urge to go for that discount you got in your email.

SilverBullet432
10-03-18, 22:13
Got a quote for cable from my ISP; $170/month for 4 TV’s... Yeah NO! I’ll stick to my 600meg connection for $55/month ..

Vegas
10-04-18, 01:17
Any Directv NOW subscribers here? Seems like a decent spread of channels for $40 a month with Sling-like interface.