PDA

View Full Version : .260 Rem AR10 ?

stormblue
10-29-08, 20:56
I'm thinking about building an AR10 chambered in .260 Rem.

Who makes AR10 barrels?
I've checked a few websites.
Pac-Nor's web sight links to Noveske. I called Noveske and they don't chamber in .260 Rem.
Krieger's website lists an AR10 barrel.
Bartlein website doesn't call out AR10 specifically but GAP uses Bartlein barrels so I'd assume
Bartlein makes AR10 barrels. I'm going to call Bartlein tomorrow.

Any other barrel manufactures I should check out?

Will I be able to run a "normal" gas block or will I need something adjustable like JP's?

Is there a "standard" twist rate for the .260 Rem?

SB

uscbigdawg
10-29-08, 21:35
DPMS LR-260

Rich

SHIVAN
10-29-08, 21:46
Contact GAP. You could also buy a .260 DPMS LR barrel, and use your ArmaLite AR-10 bolt -- or so "they" say.

You would be able to use a standard gas block if the gas port is done by someone knows who what they are doing.

uscbigdawg
10-29-08, 21:47
You can use the some bolt. 260, 308...same, same.

Rich

Todd.K
10-30-08, 08:25
The Armalite AR-10 and DPMS LR-308 bolts are not the same. While one might fit in another barrel that does not mean interchangeable.

Headspace is different, and there are other reasons it's a bad idea on top of that.

You should not need an adjustable gas block and 1/8 twist would be the most standard for LR .260 barrels.

SHIVAN
10-30-08, 09:39
The Armalite AR-10 and DPMS LR-308 bolts are not the same. While one might fit in another barrel that does not mean interchangeable.

Headspace is different, and there are other reasons it's a bad idea on top of that.

You should not need an adjustable gas block and 1/8 twist would be the most standard for LR .260 barrels.

Todd:

Oddly enough people claim they are using the DPMS barrels and ArmaLite bolts without issue.

I always thought it was a bad idea too, but "they" say it works. I guess we know how that goes.

Thanks,

Ed

uscbigdawg
10-30-08, 11:38
Todd,

I'm not saying an AR-10 and a DPMS bolt is the same. 308 and 260. Sheesh. And...I'll take DPMS over most peoples work any day. They support the shooting sports.

Rich

SHIVAN
10-30-08, 12:51
Todd,

I'm not saying an AR-10 and a DPMS bolt is the same. 308 and 260. Sheesh. And...I'll take DPMS over most peoples work any day. They support the shooting sports.

Rich

Rich:

Take a chill pill, Todd was talking to me.

He understood what I was saying, even though you thought I was talking about bolt face size being interchangeable, I wasn't. I was talking about some people who have interchanged DPMS barrels with ArmaLite guns, using their ArmaLite bolt. Which they claim headspaces and shoots just fine.

Ed

Todd.K
10-30-08, 14:44
The difference is "probably" not enough to lead to a catastrophic failure but it is not a good idea.

I understood both of you, sorry it wasn't clear.

stormblue
10-30-08, 20:47
Called Bartlein today. They only make blanks.
Called GAP they'll build me an upper.

I'd prefer to build my upper but at this point GAP appears to be my only option.

gishooter
11-10-08, 01:28
I know you said AR10 but nowadays one can take that as, well 308 AR in general, anyways Fulton Armory also makes AR10 type DPMS 308 compatiable rifles and they sell Krieger barrels and I have heard of others buying Krieger barrels for there 308s so they may be able to custom make or chameber one of the DPMS style barrels in .260 oither wise DPMS (already said) is your best bet. Maybe someone said this and I missed the boat....

TY44934
11-12-08, 10:12
Is Fulton currently making barrels in .260 - or are there plans to make such a barrel in the near future?

I know you said AR10 but nowadays one can take that as, well 308 AR in general, anyways Fulton Armory also makes AR10 type DPMS 308 compatiable rifles and they sell Krieger barrels and I have heard of others buying Krieger barrels for there 308s so they may be able to custom make or chameber one of the DPMS style barrels in .260 oither wise DPMS (already said) is your best bet. Maybe someone said this and I missed the boat....

stormblue
11-12-08, 23:21

Thanks, but I was being specific when I said AR10. :)

I've found a couple of places that will sell AR10 barrels in .260 Rem.

ar15performance.com and ar15barrels.com.

I haven't been quick to order because I haven't read much if anything about them.

TY44934
11-13-08, 13:57
actually found the answer. Fulton's site is stating 6.5 Creedmoor.