PDA

View Full Version : RUGER LCP RECALL

mattal21
10-29-08, 21:02
Sounds Like the same problem they had with the SR9

BTW I Have 2 LCP's affected by this. One of which I carry just about everyday

How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as show to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the “371” prefix are not affected.

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html

John_Wayne777
10-29-08, 22:02
F**k.

Pilgrim
10-29-08, 22:06
Ruger has had one of my LCP's for about 2 months now.

Sent it in for a relief cut job to the frame that they forgot to do on some early models.

Called three weeks ago and they said "yes we've got yer gun here, we are rather busy now, just try to be patient". Yeah yeah yeah OK, I'm patient as an oyster. :rolleyes:

I'm NOT sending my second one in for this recall.

The LCP is one of my favorite pistols.

Every time the UPS truck pulls up at work, I run to the door to let the guy in hoping he's bringing my gun back. Every day its the same... :(

Note to Ruger... I WANT MY GUN BACK! :mad:

RogerinTPA
10-30-08, 10:56
Wow! Came close to buying one of those too...

mattal21
10-30-08, 11:00
Well if they have both of mine for that long then they will just have to buy them back!

Ruger has had one of my LCP's for about 2 months now.

Sent it in for a relief cut job to the frame that they forgot to do on some early models.

Called three weeks ago and they said "yes we've got yer gun here, we are rather busy now, just try to be patient". Yeah yeah yeah OK, I'm patient as an oyster. :rolleyes:

The LCP is one of my favorite pistols.

Every time the UPS truck pulls up at work, I run to the door to let the guy in hoping he's bringing my gun back. Every day its the same... :(

Note to Ruger... I WANT MY GUN BACK! :mad:

ToddG
10-30-08, 11:11
FWIW, I think this affects every LCP on the market. I don't believe any have been produced with a 371- prefix yet.

I purchased one for a buddy as a gift, it shipped directly from the factory to his FFL two weeks ago. If his is a 370- it's safe to assume essentially every gun on the market is affected.

After the SR9 recall earlier this year, this is certainly another black eye for Ruger. There's a joke in there somewhere ... What do you call a gun company with two black eyes?

Perhaps Ruger will now begin drop testing its guns more seriously.

They are giving everyone a free new magazine by way of apology, and all shipping, etc. is being covered free of charge.

It's a little amusing to see some people on other forums, die-hard 1911 guys who eschew any kind of firing pin safety mechanism on their 1911's, but who are complaining bitterly about the lack of drop safety on the LCP. :cool:

markm
10-30-08, 11:34

I don't blame you! Why would you need a drop safety on a NON lethal weapon anyway? :confused:

Just kidding! Don't go crazy, Ladies! I know.... you should treat the LCP as though it were a real gun! :p

John_Wayne777
10-30-08, 13:51
FWIW, I think this affects every LCP on the market. I don't believe any have been produced with a 371- prefix yet.

I purchased one for a buddy as a gift, it shipped directly from the factory to his FFL two weeks ago. If his is a 370- it's safe to assume essentially every gun on the market is affected.

After the SR9 recall earlier this year, this is certainly another black eye for Ruger. There's a joke in there somewhere ... What do you call a gun company with two black eyes?

Perhaps Ruger will now begin drop testing its guns more seriously.

They are giving everyone a free new magazine by way of apology, and all shipping, etc. is being covered free of charge.

It's a little amusing to see some people on other forums, die-hard 1911 guys who eschew any kind of firing pin safety mechanism on their 1911's, but who are complaining bitterly about the lack of drop safety on the LCP. :cool:

Personally I'm not too worried about it. I've carried 1911's without any sort of firing pin safety for years. I won't be in any hurry to send my LCP in.

maximus83
10-30-08, 17:21
F**k.

Yep. :(

I still like mine; it carries more easily than any CCW I've ever had. Ruger has great service, so I know they'll fix them up.

Still, having yet another breakdown/defect issue in a new gun is annoying. This is Ruger's 2nd big recall this year, after the SR9 was recalled earlier. IMHO, the overall build quality on MOST new guns these days seems frustratingly low.

maximus83
10-30-08, 17:28

Agreed that most LCP's must be affected. Mine was one that had just come into a dealer I bought it from, and I just got mine 3 weeks ago, and it's affected.

Also, I agree that this has got to be really embarrassing for Ruger. As I said in my other post, it seems like poor quality with newly manufactured guns is endemic, though some companies seem to have a higher percentage of issues than others. Ruger having to recall 2 out of 2 of their new pistol designs for safety reasons is not good. And it's not really like them either, I cannot remember any time in my life when they've had to recall two consecutive new items that they released, especially items that were as visible as these.

ToddG
10-31-08, 22:47
My LCP has also now experienced an unrelated (I assume) problem: it occasionally fails to fire when I pull the trigger, but instead discharges when the trigger is released. So I pull, get nothing, and when I take my finger off the trigger **BANG**. I'm not amused.

I was going to call a buddy at Ruger about it, but I think I'll just wait and include a note when I send it in for the recall.

maximus83
11-01-08, 01:30
Yikes, that nasty Todd. How many total rounds did you have through it when you started noticing that behavior?

ToddG
11-01-08, 08:48
About 600.

John_Wayne777
11-01-08, 15:21
My LCP has also now experienced an unrelated (I assume) problem: it occasionally fails to fire when I pull the trigger, but instead discharges when the trigger is released. So I pull, get nothing, and when I take my finger off the trigger **BANG**. I'm not amused.

I was going to call a buddy at Ruger about it, but I think I'll just wait and include a note when I send it in for the recall.

Yowsa....I'm getting close to your round count....:(

ToddG
11-01-08, 17:59
Yowsa....I'm getting close to your round count....:(

With the LCP or your M&P? :cool:

I wouldn't fret too much. Plenty of people have LCPs which have gone far more than 600 rounds without this problem. It's more likely a fluke than a design defect of any kind. They're swapping out half the internals for the recall anyway, right?

Stay safe ...

maximus83
11-02-08, 09:58
That makes sense--hopefully the recall work will address both the issues of AD's during drops, and your issue with the trigger.

I'm curious what the other LCP owners' take is on this whole recall thing. I've never owned a pistol that was "recalled" before. If you're not actually experiencing any problems and your pistol seems to be working fine, should an owner still send it in anyway?

bullseye
11-02-08, 11:01
yes,,, you should send it in ,,,to get the free magazlne. mine was one of the first ones made, definitely will be in re-call. when i get around to it, i will send it to them, pretty spiffy little pea-popper i might add.

decodeddiesel
11-02-08, 12:17
Wow! Came close to buying one of those too...

Me too, damn glad I didn't. I gotta let my buddy at work know though...

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a sneaking suspicion this was going to happen.

skyugo
11-02-08, 18:58
ouch.. so are these little rugers actually worse than the kel-tecs that they were supposed to be better than?

my recent kel tec research seems to indicate they have their shit together.... :confused:

ToddG
11-02-08, 20:37
The change that Ruger is making is similar to a chance KT made earlier this year.

The difference is that Ruger is having a recall because they consider the change an important safety issue that is worthy of huge expense on their part to correct. KT looked at it as a "rolling improvement" and issued no recall.

I've been involved in more than a few recalls (both large public ones and smaller agency-specific ones) with two different gun companies. It happens. Should it happen to the same company twice in one year for the same problem? Probably not. But better a company that says "we messed up, let us fix it" than one which ignores the problem or worse, denies it exists.

maximus83
11-04-08, 01:41
It sounds like some may be interpreting this recall issue with the LCP a bit too negatively (judging from a couple of the comments in the thread).

I can understand someone simply not liking the .380 acp or this particular pistol, but as for ruling this a dud or unreliable gun just on the basis of the recall, it may be a little too soon for that yet, IMHO.

I think ToddG--as he often does--summed up the issue very nicely. Frankly many of these new pistols have problems, but Ruger is just professional enough, and conscientious enough, to DO something serious about it and issue a formal recall at their own expense.

I said above that with EVERY brand of new pistol that I've bought in the last several years--and that has been a number of the leading/popular brands--I've had at least one pistol with an issue that had to be sent back to the factory. This includes pistols with excellent reputations for toughness and durability. For example, a few pistols I've had to get warranty work on: a Springfield XD, a CZ 75, and even two of my new S&W M&P's had to have warranty service! But all of these were and are great pistols. And I still run the CZ's and M&P's. I just happen to think that the way guns are being mass produced these days, your odds of having a service issue with a new one may be pretty good. Todd has a really great article about this on his training site, here (http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective). So, if you have a fundamentally well designed pistol, and if the factory corrects the issue, then I think it can still be a keeper for the long term.

I don't have any track record of durability tests or thousands of rounds to prove the LCP will hold up, but what I'm saying is, strictly on the basis of this recall issue, I'm not yet ready to sell mine or pronounce it a dud. There are enough problems on other brands of new pistols to know that a person has to give a new model of gun a bit more of a chance, and accumulate a bit more evidence, before you can make a final call on its reliability.

Pilgrim
11-20-08, 21:26
Got my LCP back... a review of the proceedings...

My LCP was received by Ruger on 22 September. I asked if they might do the relief cut into the frame, as they skipped that step during the manufacturing process.

I asked about it a month later, and was told "yep... it's here, sorry for the hold up, but we're working on it". OK, I'm good with that.

Asked again about it two weeks later via answering service. Two hours later a sexy sounding customer service rep called me back at home and said that the hold up was because they were going to fix the recall issues also as well while the pistol was there. Pistols would be serviced on a first come first serve basis. OK, cool, I'm good with that too, well I actually would have agree to anything she said.

Two days later; another official sounding Ruger rep called me at work to say sorry again for the hold up, but the new trigger parts had not been delivered yet, so they can't fix the pistols yet, BUT, seeing as I was one of the first ones to send mine in, mine would be one of the first to be fixed. OK, that's good I said because I don't think I can do a good enough job on the frame myself... and ... I WANT MY GUN BACK!

Well today I got my LCP back, much to the relief of the UPS guy that was rather sick of me asking about it twice a day for the past 2 months.

Got a free Ruger LCP hat. That's cool.

Got a free $25 online gift certificate. That's cooler.

Got a free spare magazine with a nifty ring finger extension. VERY cool.

Got the trigger modification/anti-drop parts installed. Pistol is now theoretically safer, but the super sweet trigger pull is a bit heavier with some over travel thrown in. Not cool.

Do you remember the reason why I originally sent the pistol in? Well Ruger didn't. The frame relief cut was never done. VERY NOT COOL! Actually, I can see how this happened as the person doing the recall parts swap was most likely not the same person that would have been tasked to mill out the relief cut. They swapped out the parts, put free goodies into the box, and sent it back as quickly as possible.

They are swamped with LCP's right now... so I'm not sending it back again.

So it looks like I'm going to have to try to do it myself with a file. I'll just use my late model LCP's frame as a guide... maybe scribe some lines and file away till enough metal is removed.

I will NOT be sending my other LCP back for the recall work, as the para-ord LDA style trigger it has is perfect as it is, and I don't want it messed with and made lawyer proof.

To put this into perspective once again, I have had Glocks and Smiths give me more problems than the little Ruger has, and I don't plan on getting rid of them, so I will keep my LCP's... might want a couple more also... as I love these little pistols.

Won't be able to test fire it till Saturday... anything shows itself to be amiss, I'll let you know.

ToddG
11-20-08, 21:42
Query: can you still short stroke the trigger and result in a false hammer fall?

Pilgrim
11-20-08, 23:19
Query: can you still short stroke the trigger and result in a false hammer fall?

A short stroke of the trigger will allow the hammer to fall to the 'safety notch' position, or flush with the slide, yes, but not to rest upon the firing pin inside the slide no.

Hey, I just noticed that the slide release button is different now... it protrudes less... or is less convex if you will, than the release on my later model LCP.

ToddG
11-21-08, 00:02
Pilgrim -- Just making sure I understand.

Take a loaded gun. Fire a round and keep the trigger pulled all the way back.

Let the trigger go forward until you hear/feel the first "click."

Pull the trigger again.

Does the gun fire?

If not, can you pull the trigger again (without manipulating the slide manually) to discharge the gun?

Pilgrim
11-21-08, 06:54
Oh I get ya... :o

I'll try it on Saturday and get back to you.

ToddG
11-21-08, 15:01
Pilgrim -- I'd very much appreciate that. Thanks! If they fix that issue, I can live with a less smooth trigger pull.

Pilgrim
11-22-08, 15:37
Todd,

Just fired a few shots off the back deck, comparing my #0486x 'Ruger recall serviced' LCP to my #24,59x LCP that has not been returned for recall service.

First of all my WECSOG file work to the frame, while not pretty to look at, did in fact allow clearance for brass to be properly ejected. Brass is now undamaged, and only flies 6 feet instead of 36 feet. I just scribed some lines into the frame that matched my other LCP, and filed away till it looked like the brass will clear.

Now to the trigger. Trigger pull is now heavier, but not overly heavy. Over travel is noticeable. NO the trigger will not move at all after firing and resetting it to the first click only. No rearward movement at all any more. Trigger must come to the second click (7/8th of the way forward) until it will catch the hammer and allow the gun to fire.

Thanks Todd for the heads up on the way the unmodified LCP's will fire without a complete trigger reset. As I had no idea about this.

Also, the new magazine with the extension is not that much a hindrance to pocket carry, and is an aid in getting the pistol out of the pocket more quickly and with better control.

I'm satisfied with Rugers recall work, and my poor gunsmithing.

I would not sell my LCP's for anything less than twice what I paid for them.

I ain't going anywhere without one with me.

varoadking
11-22-08, 19:00
First of all my WESCOG file work to the frame, while not pretty to look at, did in fact allow clearance for brass to be properly ejected.

WECSOG. May lose some folks with the typo...

Pilgrim
11-22-08, 21:35
WECSOG. May lose some folks with the typo...

Begging pardon...

mattal21
12-01-08, 21:11
Received my return box today and called ruger to send a call tag to ups and it should be on its way to Prescott, Az tomorrow. Now the waiting game begins

ToddG
12-05-08, 00:17
Pilgrim -- A belated thanks for checking on that. I was on day one of the recall list, but still haven't received my recall stuff yet. I'm really trying to control the urge to call a buddy at Ruger to get help since I'm interested to learn how the process plays out, but I do miss having that little gun in my front pocket.

VERY glad to hear they resolved the false-fire problem.

Thanks again!

maximus83
12-05-08, 19:08
I just finally received my mailer box/package in yesterday's mail, so I can send my LCP back to Ruger.

Think I'm going to ask them to work on my action while it's in for the recall. I've continued to have issues with light primer strikes on the Magtech ammo, and although I can certainly just get a different ammo for practice, it has a disturbingly high number of FTF's with Magtech ammo, and shouldn't be happening THAT often. I'd say about 1 out of every 20 rounds or so on the average. In contrast, the LCP has been reliable with the DoubleTap load (a Speer Gold Dot HP), and I'm already carrying it with those.

CarlosDJackal
12-06-08, 02:01

That's that new target trigger option. By discharging when the trigger is released, isturbance to the sight alignment is minimized. I know someone who paid good money (I mean a lot!!) for a shotgun with this "feature". I think you might owe Ruger some money for this. :D

ToddG
12-07-08, 02:41
Carlos -- Yeah, we were all joking about how much people pay for release triggers. :cool: It's disconcerting on a pocket pistol though.

mattal21
12-08-08, 13:44
Sent both of mine in on DEC. 2 and will be receiving it back tomorrow.

BTW if you have sent yours in and it has been at least 5-6 days go and the UPS website and track it by Reference Number which will be your serial numbe.

mattal21
12-09-08, 16:50
Received my two lcps back from Ruger today after only one week with free mags a promised and 2 Ruger LCP Hats. And the trigger pull actually feels lighter to me

ToddG
12-09-08, 17:07
I submitted my recall info the day the recall was announced.

So far, I still haven't received anything but an email (on 30-Oct) letting me know my request had been submitted and that I was in line.

About half an hour ago, I left a message with Ruger's recall hotline asking for an update.

mattal21
12-09-08, 17:18
I also submitted mine the day that the recall was announced. And the day after i sent my Lcp's in i received another return package so if there is anyone that lives in or around huntsville, al. I have another return package if you want it. or if someone is willing to email me a shipping label then you can have it. All you will have to do is when you receive it there will be a letter from ruger in it with a number -call that number and tell them you received you return package and have them send you a shipping label or they will send a call tag to ups for them to pick it up from you

mattal21
12-10-08, 14:36
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq74/mattal21/lcp.jpg

maximus83
12-10-08, 15:04
I've finally sent mine off, just today it was picked up. We'll see how long it takes.

Something I'm concerned about: I have a wonderful, smooth (though heavy) and consistent trigger pull. I'm afraid that in addressing the issue of the recall, and also as they fix whatever is causing my light primer strikes, they will also turn my trigger into a nasty trigger (as I've heard from some others, when they get theirs back).

Oh well, if that happens I'll just sell the LCP and carry something else, maybe go with Doc's recommendation for something like a S&W 442 in .38 sp.

mattal21
12-10-08, 15:12
Mine feel smoother and a little lighter as well

maximus83
12-11-08, 14:04
So, UPS appears to have lost my LCP. When they came by the house yesterday, my wife handed them the package and they gave her the receipt slip with tracking #. But today, when I check the tracking # online, it says they attempted to deliver yesterday and were unsuccessful. So I call UPS, and they just read back to me what it says in their system. So I tell them, that can't be, we handed them the package and we have a receipt and tracking #.

So they went and talked to driver, and he "doesn't remember."

I hope they find it, but I'm already starting to get concerned.

mattal21
12-11-08, 14:13
If the ups tracking info says returned to shipper than thats normal mine did the same but just to be sure give Ruger a call and find out if they received it.

maximus83
12-11-08, 23:56
They apparently are just falling behind with Christmas rush. It took them a day, but they located the package today and got it back on track for delivery to Ruger. We lost a day, but no big deal since they found it.

maximus83
12-23-08, 21:02
Got the LCP back from Ruger today. So it took 17 calendar days total, including shipping.

Still have to see how it shoots. They included the new mag and a hat, as expected, and the trigger pull feels slightly heavier. I'm assuming the work they did will completely eliminate my light primer strike issue, as well as the safety issue.

Added: Tested my trigger this evening with a digital gauge, avg pull weight was about 6.1 lbs. This was after about 100 dry firing pulls, during which the trigger smoothed and lightened noticeably, just as when it was new. Seems perfectly adequate for a trigger on this type of pistol.

daletheman_3
12-24-08, 09:39
I registered on-line when I heard about the recall. Have seen nothing since in either an email or snail mail concerning the recall. Has anyone received their return box by using just the on-line system or has everyone had to call them? Just seeing if I need to make the call...

maximus83
12-24-08, 11:11
I would suggest calling them directly. I registered with their online service, and never heard from them, so I called the hotline a couple weeks later. They told me there was no record that I had registered in the online system, so I think they were having some problems with their web-based registration.